Hey /b I have a question. Just filed my taxes this year and got screwed by my first job I started last year...

Hey /b I have a question. Just filed my taxes this year and got screwed by my first job I started last year. Turns out they filed exempt on my federal taxes without my knowledge when I didn’t ask for that on my W4. Never gave me paper pay stubs but could’ve got it online but never really thought of it cause I assumed they filed it right. Mistake on my part but still blows dick. Now I got nothing back on taxes cause of what my company filed Without my permission is this illegal? Can I sue? I honestly don’t know.

Attached: 06CF90D5-74EC-4379-A68E-80E69FD040B0.jpg (647x404, 13K)

It means you didn't pay any income tax. Enjoy your audit.

Had to pay at end of year. Said I owed like 1600 cause I was exempt

you're going to super mega aids prison op

How do you think income tax works?

Well would exempt mean I don’t have to pay it at all?

You can pay your income tax throughout the year, or at the end of the year. It sounds like you chose to pay zero percent from each paycheck. So now you are paying at the end.

OMG. Has no one taught you how income tax works?
I'm not going to call you a moron, because it's not your fault. It's your parents fault for failing you.
Here's the cliff nots:
>Everyone pays income taxes. Everyone.
>You write exempt on your W4, you get 85-90% of your paycheck. You basically bypassed hacked the federal government.
>You now owe them money.
>You mess around with your deductions and credits on your turbotax, you get rid of the tax man and don't pay them.
>If you finger fuck your taxes to all standards, you owe the tax man up to $7000 if you're single.

Do you understand?

Well the thing is I didn’t claim that. I see what you mean. I figured exempt was like a different thing then that. But either way my former employer fucked up my shit and I honestly want to fuck them back. Could I do that for falsifying my document?

Honestly no I was in the military before that job so I didn’t really know Jack shit about taxes.

Also, a common misunderstanding that 80% of American have is that when they get a return, they think it's free money from the guvment. But in reality, it's your money that you overpaid in taxes. It's like when you go to buy a mcfat burger that cost $5 and you hand the cashier a $20 bill. She gives you back $15. But to a Ameritard, that $15 is free money to them and they are happy because the guvment gave them free $15.

Okay, we get it. You hate Americans. You want your cookie?

Every time you write "exempt" on your W4, that means you don't pay federal income tax. If you look at your pays tubs and it says federal income tax withheld, then HR fucked up and ARE taking your money automatically giving it to the guvment. Federal income tax should be at $0.00 when you put down exempt. You still have to pay the other 3 things though, social security, medicare, and state. Can't avoid those.

He's not wrong. All we get back is money that we paid in.

It's not that I hate all ericans, I hate the way they do things. I hate their policies and mindset. They too docile and dumb to realize they are being taken advantage of.

Fucking wait ... Where exactly do you live??

No I wanted them to take my taxes so I could get back during tax season but they put exempt when I didnt request it and I didn’t notice. My fuck up there. But I kinda want them to be held responsible but idk if I can do anything about it. Only confusion I got was the “exempt” part. Usually exempt means you don’t have to do it at all so I just got mixed up with that.

Attached: 8F2C5B3C-3FAD-40AB-8A01-79A09442014C.jpg (750x730, 166K)

I'll bet you worked there for less than a year, right? And you were military - so maybe they weren't sure how to handle that.

> I figured exempt was like a different thing then
Right, so they didn't do anything wrong. You fucked up, you didn't understand what they told you, or what you signed up for - and now you owe some money. Or maybe you don't - I don't know. Ask on some military forum where they deal with whatever fucked up taxes you pay when you are in the military.

>I honestly want to fuck them back
grow the fuck up. take responsibility for your lack of attention and move on with life. take that anger you are feeling right now, and put it into learning about how taxes work so you can make the right decision for next year.

devil quads know whats up.

If anything, they actually did you a favor. You can claim credits and deduction on your taxes to reduce the taxable income. So instead of owing $5000 in taxes, you can owe them $1000. But if you're smart enough to work the paper, you can bring that down to make them give you money instead.

except does mean that - you were exempt from having federal payments taken out of your paycheck each time. So you got to keep that money in your pocket for a year, where you could have been earning 10% interest on it in the stock market. Instead of giving it to the government to hold on for you, with 0% interest.

Georgia. We pay income tax. Unlike Alabama who doesn't have that shit. same goes for florida. Assholes.

he could do that regardless. the benefit is in having the cash in your pocket for a year, instead of the govt holding onto it. But i agree - he needs to get his deductions sorted out.

Agreed. OP fucked up by not deducting and filling out tax credits. Missed opportunity. But he can always Amend it. I did amend mine this year and don't owe a dime to the tax man while exempt. Making $75k a year, but tax man thinks i'm making $300 a year. Adjusted gross income for the win.

correction
> $30k a year
not 300

>>here's the rest of the states that don't have income tax (fucking weird as that is) ... Wyoming, Alaska, Texas, Washington,Florida, Nevada and South Dakota.

Mostly because no one wants to live there permanently. Nevada is a desert, Alaska is fucking alaska. The rest is just the population is too thin to have more than 2 congressman.

>Now I got nothing back on taxes cause of what my company filed Without my permission is this illegal? Can I sue? I honestly don’t know.

Its your responsibility to check your pay stubs.

have fun in tax prison after they audit you.

you're a idiot that doesn't know how to use IRA, 401k, TSP,HSA and savers credit. Enjoy being poor paying taxes.