I just got finished watching this. I was not expecting it to be as heavy as it was

I just got finished watching this. I was not expecting it to be as heavy as it was.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uF1Q56YAo0Q
youtu.be/0wQ0j33bTd4
youtube.com/watch?v=q7zq1PppAxs
youtu.be/bAqdaaLVCEg
youtube.com/watch?v=KWkWkKZCnCE
youtu.be/iMuFYnvSsZg
youtube.com/watch?v=sTRGK-DPq_M
youtube.com/watch?v=wrnd086ObDo
youtu.be/h5jwV-WyDPo
vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/christopher-lee-obituary-peter-s-beagle
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I watched a little while ago as well.

Does the book flesh out character motivations better?

>that scene where she gets turned into a human and starts having a mental breakdown

The author did the screenplay for the animated version so they're very very similar. The book just fleshes them out a bit more and states things that are just a bit more ethereal and conceptual in the film. Well worth a read if you liked the movie no shitty songs either

>no shitty songs either
I dunno, I liked the main theme.

Hey, I thought America did alright.

The Last Unicorn and Man's Road are two of my favorite songs.
youtu.be/0wQ0j33bTd4

It's a brilliant movie, and one of the best.

The only bad song is Now That I'm a Woman.

Everything else is GOAT.

UUUUUUNNIICOOOOOORRRRRNNN

animated

I loved it when he drank the 'wine'.

QUAAAAARK

>chills

youtube.com/watch?v=q7zq1PppAxs

I like to periodically watch this along with The Hobbit and Wizards

Gah!

how's the comic version?

I didn't hate the music, but imagine how much better the movie would be with a heavy metal soundtrack.

>that scene where the witch willingly feeds herself to the tittybird.
Metal as fuck.

I can image Queen rocking out to this like they did with Highlander or Flash Gordon

Blasphemer.

The book has more character development and a few extra subplots.
Definitely worth a read.

Though the film is a great adaptation.

it's wonderful! i recommend it.

Was coming here to post this.

That witch was pretty awesome.
>You know that harpy is going to kill you some day, right?
Yup, but it's going to remember I held her caged forever, which is its own form of immortality.

It's surprising how well it explores themes on mortality.
I love when the unicorn first experiences dying.

Molly.... ;_;

Do not boast old woman. Your Death sits in that cage and hears you.

This comic is excellent.

The book was much more depressing.
Although the prince was a bit more a joke too.
Really explained Schmendrick better though.

It may be habitude, but I prefer America.
I can respect this.

l need to rewatch this movie

Right now imagine you were eight when you saw this for the first time

Ha ha, back penis.

These are beautiful.

>tfw you see penis in everything

That's what rule 34 does.

I saw these with friends when I was a kid and we couldn't get over the tree. Goddamn the tree was hilarious.

I'm the hero!

Why did it feel like every had major fucking mood swings?

>"It would be the last unicorn that came to Molly Grue."
As I get older, I feel like I understand Molly more and more.

I remember watching this movie as a kid.

King Haggard was probably the first villain I experienced who's motives were deeper than "Wants power/material possessions." He's a twisted man but I almost feel more sorry for him than scared of him.

jeez that part killed me when I was watching it.

the only thing I can remember being depressing about the book was what happened to the Prince.

>ride her unicorn
>bareback under the trees
They know god damn well what they meant by this.

I was kinda hoping that Haggard would get a happy ending, maybe finally being happy and proud of the hero Prince Lír has become.
But then again there are no happy endings, because nothing ever ends.

>The Cursed Town
>The Merry Men
>The Prince's end
>Molly's existance

I will admit that Schmendrick's curse was clever though

Go to bed Dan.

youtu.be/bAqdaaLVCEg

youtube.com/watch?v=KWkWkKZCnCE
what's with America and equines

Reminder that Christopher Lee will never play Haggard in a live action version

Reminder that Peter S. Beagle was abused by his manager, who is fucking him out of the rights to his own property (just like he was fucked before) and who sent him on a grueling film tour where he would be pressured to sign every single autograph even if it meant going for hours and hours and hours on end, and instead of booking an old man hotels, he had Peter ask to stay in fan's homes for free.

>Peter S. Beagle was abused by his manager, who is fucking him out of the rights to his own property (just like he was fucked before)

Fuck, how did he let that happen?

>He's a twisted man but I almost feel more sorry for him than scared of him.
I don't know, a man that despondent and emotionally detached is pretty scary in his own right.

He all but told Schmendrick that he would kill them all if he lost interest in them.

>You are losing my interest and that is very dangerous.

Pitiable though he may be, he's more or less a glorified sociopath.

Apparently Peter was having mental problems, I don't know if it was Alzheimer's, but he was having memory problems, got confused about where he was or what he was doing, stuff like that.

I'm sure the long tour didn't help much.

I'm not sure on that. He was growing weary of his old magician as well, but that guy didn't feel like he was in any danger. Then again, maybe he just thought his magics were powerful enough to deal with Haggard.

Well, Mabrook was a master magician who, by Haggards own admission, could pretty much do anything he wanted.

Haggard's just a mortal man, so he wasn't really a threat to someone like that. A totally inept magician and two women? They might have more to worry about.

It was this part where I really started to enjoy the movie and I felt it just got better from there.
Great film.

no, that's the story from Connor Conlan which he's using to try to paint Peter as being manipulated into suing him.

I've never seen it. I downloaded it the other day and am planning on watching it on acid. Without spoilers, is that a good idea?

The story is too good to miss due to tripping. Just watch it again when you're sober.

Absolutely.

I always rewatch films I saw on drugs.
Makes me apprehensive, but if it gets too intense I guess I can always just turn it off.

I see. Well, fuck that guy then.

>Not enjoying America.
You can go ahead and get the fuck out.

My nigga

>Prince Lir
>Jeff Bridges
>The Big Lebowski
youtu.be/iMuFYnvSsZg

Killer performance in the film.

Me too. The fantasy genre is one that ignores middle aged women and she knew it.

topcraft is fucking best animation

FunFacts: Not only is this the first anime-type cartoon I ever saw back when I was a little tyke, but it has been said to be the inspiration for Marvel's Red Hulk.

eh, she looks fine in this art. not grizzled and worn-out at all.
but yeah i identify fucking hard with that.

dude unicorn shit has been about that since the beginning. a wild creature that's tamed only by an innocent virgin, and puts its head in her lap.. not to mention that idea of ramming its horn into you as a virgin test and it passes harmlessly through if you are.

youtube.com/watch?v=sTRGK-DPq_M

for the last time, unicorns aren't equines. they're in the goat-antelope family.

That song has no right to be so catchy.

Reminds me of this guy.

> Christopher Lee was such a fan of the book he VAed both in English and German.

This delivery though. It is as good as it gets. Nothing can top this. Array of emotions from anger to madness to gleeful serenity and joy and anger again.

youtube.com/watch?v=wrnd086ObDo

Here's an interview of Christopher Lee talking about his love for the film and dubbing the German version, from a kooky German TV program. To go straight to the interview, it's about 1:12.
youtu.be/h5jwV-WyDPo

> He learnt languages to kill Germans
> He used them later for entertainment of masses

Guy was amazing. I still love how he told Peter Jackson about how a dying man sounds for LotR. Just like that.

TFW you'll never see him in that Last Unicorn remake he wanted to be in.

>There are no happy endings because nothing ends

based Schmendrick
God the movie and book were just full of amazing quotes.

>Darkness from the movie Legend.
>Incidentally, liked to kill unicorns.

>Be adopted by the king of the land
>Be raised in austere castle against a sea of unicorns
>Fight great and magical creatures buffed by unicorn magic
>Fall in love with a beautiful autistic woman
>She's a unicorn

Awwwww shit! Dated a unicorn no longer a virgin

>From Peter S. Beagle's Obit for Christopher Lee:
>On the last occasion, when I had called to wish him a happy 90th birthday, I remember him assuring me that “if, by the time you come to make your live-action version of your movie, I have passed on, do not let it concern you. I have risen from the dead several times. I know how it’s done.”

vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/christopher-lee-obituary-peter-s-beagle

It's been a while since I've watched this film but Christ almighty he's a genuinely depressing villain, and I mean that in the best possible way.

That's not how you treat your precious Douglas Fir. Shame!

There's still hope lads.

Dubs confirm it. He is just laying there waiting.

It's not just her looks, but life hardening her spirit and personality.

As a kid I watched it for the cool creatures and stuff. Loved getting scared by the harpy and the bull.
As an adult, I still love that, but I find myself understanding the emotional aspects far better.
Now, every time I get to the scene where she frees the other unicorns and the triumphant music starts playing, I start bawling my eyes out.

That was actually great.

Have a turtwig

Chimchar's better

He's pretty good too. Used him during a platinum nuzlock and I can't deny Infernape has a good move pool.

poor Lir

man I'm glad the german dub I heard as a kid had such love put into it

>the hobbit
This and Hobbit were my favorite fantasy movies growing up. Was introduced to wizards later in life. Fantastic taste user.

confirmed for CGI adaption

I loved the hobbit so much. Still do. That and The Last Unicorn are near perfect adaptations, there's stuff missing but it still all comes together. I'm going have to look up this Wizards movie now

I will say that I was hyped up on the movie since a certain sex-ninja-themed band covered the main theme, and it's the singer's favorite book/movie. I found the first part pretty damn awkward, it sort of started and stopped quite a bit and sort of meandered. It really did pick up with Molly and Haggard's castle. I remember thinking it being so weird that this whole countryside can just be a shithole and it's just sort of a thing, that Molly would leave the bandits, that this obviously big bad guy wizard cold just peace out and not be in the story any more. That kind of confusion over this dying world and the ticking clock of the unicorn's transformation was a really good feeling. I wish it had a harder hook in the beginning than the scenes with the butterfly and the tit tree. More things like the scene with the two hunters and countryside that sti has unicorns might have aided the slide into despair. But it's good to have a sort of singular narrative, something that is free to meander a bit and have strange things happen that arent wrapped up in a neat bow or a romance arc. They'd probably excise most of it and get Peter Jackson to make it

I guess what I'm saying is I had some mixed feelings on the stranger elements of its fantasy, but I can appreciate them for what they are. There has to be some muddle ground. I mean, The Hobbit did it. Meanwhile Wizards is just unadulterated phantasmagoria and is unwatchable for me sober. I think the Last Unicorn wants some polish without too much added or cut out.

It really was. I picked it up from the library on a whim and was really pleasantly surprised by it.

Beagle's a great writer, though. It's worth it to read the original book. A Fine and Private place is good, too.

ORCRIST!
THE GOBLIN CLEAVER!
GLAMDRING!
THE FOEHAMMER!

Going with Rankin-Bass was a mistake, the animation/toned down violence ruined this film for me, plus like in any Rankin-Bass production the VAs sound like they're drunk or something