What I hate most about Batman Beyond is its depiction of Bruce Wayne...

What I hate most about Batman Beyond is its depiction of Bruce Wayne. How does a crime fighting superhero and bombastic playboy end up becoming a horribly bitter and deeply disturbed loner?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K2p02DfyzCE
youtube.com/watch?v=goVMPBuw8uY
jl.toonzone.net/episode50/episode50.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What I hate is it doesn't have best girl

How else would he end up?

because his parents died

thats it

i know right, why is op confused

Why are you in every thread

Cred Forums is boring tonight.

>bombastic playboy
You know, that was just a front. DCAU Bruce was always miserable. Or at least since the flashback scenes in Mask of the Phantasm.

Because that's his destiny.

by being a piece of shit to everybody around him

Howard Hughes would like a word with you.

s seriously?!

He got too old to do the one thing he had dedicated his entire life to doing. What he had dedicated himself to doing was fighting the literal worst the human race had to offer. How the hell is he supposed to look?

Bruce Wayne IS a horribly bitter and deeply disturbed loner.
It only got more apparent in Batman Beyond because he got old.

because he failed, and now lives in said failed city

>spend 60 years trying to make a difference in one of the most god forsaken places on the planet
>lose friends, colleagues and loved ones in your private war on evil
>in 60 years accomplish virtually jack shit as crime is worse than when you started and your family company is taken from you

what the fuck did he have to be happy about?

OP, on a scale of 1-10 how underage are you?

they needed a reason to have Terry become Batman instead of a pre-existing character

also don't expect casuals that only watched the show, at best, to know anything about the character

>Gotham City turned from a city stuck in the 40s into a cyberpunk wonderland

the simple fact that Gotham still actually exists proves that he did something good for the city

But how come at the beginning, Batman is all but forgotten? People aren't singing praise about this great hero while gangs honoring the Joker roam about.

because while making their Spider-Man ripoff they also ripped off the Marvel civilians

You sound dumb right now

I hate you.

I honestly thought they got it perfectly.

Bruce's playboy act was exactly that, an act. His main profession was Batman.

I don't want to say Timm-verse got Bruce Wayne right, because if you're going to reference his very first versions in the original comics, he's obviously a different character. But there's something about Bruce Timm's depiction of Bruce that's so good.

Apparently you didn't watch Justice League Unlimited and the other parts of the animated universe if you didn't see this coming.

because they wanted to outdo even Miller

Godlike perspective.

It's literally the most realistic ending for someone who's purposefully as distant and detached from the people around him as possible.

DCAU Bruce is bitter and alone because he made himself that way.

Because most people forget the good things that happened in life more often than the bad. It's all about those lasting impressions. Also he stopped being Batman for a long while so almost an entire generation would have no recollection of his existence.

this is the edgy universe where no one realized Superman was under Starro control

don't think too much about it

So with that said and crime and corruption nastier than ever in Gotham, the whole Batman thing was ALL for nothing. That is fucking depressing.

>we never got the perfect BB episode with Bruce reflecting on his failure to save the city when he was Batman.

Well the premise of the show requires for the city to be bad otherwise there would be no need of a hero.

Still, it didn't feel as bad especially considering most of the super villains are defeated by a guy with literally no training and just a suit.

Well, Waller did want to make her own Batman. The idea behind Epilogue was solid, but fuck the idea of forcing a couple's child to be a genetic progeny of Bruce was pants-on-head retarded and bullshit.

>How does a crime fighting superhero and bombastic playboy end up becoming a horribly bitter and deeply disturbed loner?
Are you for real?

but he saved the city multiple times, I wouldn't call it a failure

if anything Barbara should think about her and her father's failures

Gotham needs Batman to keep it straight, it'll always need a Knight

Yup.

>You have to be related to Bruce somehow to be Batman

Killed my self-insert

They had to explain the black hair

>How does fucking Batman end up becoming a horribly bitter and deeply disturbed loner?

Between BTAS and TNAB, Bruce's first son became a whiny bitch and fled Gotham, and the DCAU, never to return.
At some point during JL/U, Bruce entered a relationship with one of the few people who could understand him, Barbara, and ultimately pushed her away years later because he ultimately refused to have anything----even a serious relationship----take priority over eradicating crime.
His second "son", was kidnapped, tortured, and brainwashed by the Joker, and after God knows how many years of Tim clawing his way back to sanity, he wanted nothing to do with his old life.
Alone, for almost 20 years, Bruce blindly pursued his obsession to eradicating crime, shutting out people, becoming emotionally broken, just going through the motions.
And when he quit, when he became Bruce Wayne, he had nothing and nobody left. And he wasn't willing to make new connections either. He was broken.
It took another 20 years until some punk teenager brought trouble to his door, stole a prototype suit of his, and eventually became a trusted ally and his successor.

Because of Terry, Bruce was able to open up again, however slightly that might be.

The point is that Bruce Wayne, without any external intervention, is doomed to a bad end. The cold and miserable person see in Beyond is the logic conclusion of his character.

What do you think OP, that he'd kill crime forever, marry Selena, live happily ever after without any radical changes to his character?

How else is he supposed to end up? Get married and grow old? That's not Bruce he's too autistic to that. I've always pictured the only two people showing up to his funeral as Clark and Dick. He's too much of an ass to everyone else.

That show was trash.

No they didn't, black hair can be dominant in that case, cause if I remember right his father had brown, but his mother had red, so if either side of the family had black hair further back it could happen. What they did it was to explain why a perfectly normal family were divorced even though they weren't hostile to one another or even attempt to be further away or see other people.

t. casual

>by the Joker, and after God knows how many years of Tim clawing his way back to sanity, he wanted nothing to do with his old life.
Not true, Tim did want to come back but Bruce forbade it. He blamed himself for what happened and basically drove everyone away out of fear of it happening to them. Tim tried to patch things up between them but Bruce gave him the cold shoulder out of guilt.

Did you forget Batman the Musical?

Talking about DCAU Bruce here retard. And only pre-Terry. Comic Bruce is obviously in a much healthier place due to the Batfamily and his good relationship with other heroes.

No Gotham did remember Batman... just not the way Bruce wanted them to.
youtube.com/watch?v=K2p02DfyzCE

DCAU Bruce was shown as having a good relationship with other heroes all the time

kill yourself, idiot
you didn't even count Barbara and Tim in your retarded post

At least Bruce gets a clone son.

All Barbara brought into this world is a miscarriage followed by getting BLACKED.

He had a sense of humor though...sometimes

>Waller
>not making eugenics a factor in her mad science

I like dystopian doomed nightmare visions

You thought Babs was the only one getting BLACKED in the DCAU?

>they probably divorced because the dad thought he was cucked twice

>How does a crime fighting superhero and bombastic playboy end up becoming a horribly bitter and deeply disturbed loner?
By being a cunt to everybody and pushing them away in favor of punching people in the face.

Not really, he still wasn't as close to them as you think, did you forget the time he used a Javelin to catch a nuke heading for Superman and nearly died and kind of flipped his shit when they tried brushing off Cadmus trying to nuke their problems away?

I agree with you, mr. shitposter, these comics were great, i don't know why they stopped without finishing the bookbinder plot. But what's up with the filename?.

She already had a massive eugenics fuck-up with the creation of Doomsday, don't know how she thought playing god with Batman was going to be any better and the fact that she wanted to use the one person who could have saved Bruce from his life of fighting crime was going to be delicious irony until she backed out. There was never any indication that Waller thought you had to be related to Bruce Wayne to be Batman.

>Gotham before batman=shithole
>Gotham after batman=cyberpunk shithole
>Gotham without batman= a crater multple times over from all the tmes the rogues would hide a bomb in the city with no one to find it.
I think batman made a least a little difference.

>marry Selena

I forget, whatever happened to some of the other character? It's been years since I've seen the show, so a number details have left me. I know Joker and Freeze came back, and Superman had a run in with an alien starfish.

She is part of Wonder Elite an Oligarchy ruled by women who take part in pollution for profits.

She cuts down rainforests to make disposable sandwich toothpicks.

Writers are hacks. Even if literally everyone in Gotham abandoned him, he would still have the one friend who never will: Superman.

Bruce was always miserable after the death of his parents. He wasn't truly able to move on, suffering through years of survivor's guilt before he donned the mask and tried to make a difference in Gotham. But no matter what he did, Gotham just kept getting worse and worse, a lot of it his fault (that I'm sure he realized in time).

The court system was fucking broken. The Joker and friends KEPT getting thrown in a inept insane asylum ran by utter incompetents despite filling entire graveyards. The Police was well meaning, but in the end too corrupt or just too beholden by red tape to do enforce law on it's own. (remember that time when the Joker roasted a assload of people despite being in clear target range by the SWAT team?) Not only that, but as the years went by, a lot of his friends-many of whom he considered a surrogate family-suffered horrible deaths or left him to the dogs.

After years of this shit. Playing the good cop who spared the life of every criminal, even when they fucking deserved to be thrown off a cliff, only for that to blow up in his face. The failure of the justice system to do even one ounce of good with all the criminals he rounded up through the years. His new family virtually all abandoning him. To say nothing of seeing the Joker commit ever more violent and sadistic crimes, one of which costing someone who was practically his adopted son.

That would've changed a man. Like deep down. Messing him up for life. Bruce fucked up, he knows he fucked up, and there's nothing he can really do about it now. It was only when he met Terry when he finally got a purpose in life again. I may sound like I'm harsh on Bruce (quite the contrary, I actually like the old prick), but I'm just being honest.

I was a bit disappointed in BvS but Affleck's bitter Batman was pretty good.

>"Twenty years in Gotham, Alfred; we've seen what promises are worth. How many good guys are left? How many stayed that way?"

and this is BEFORE he loses Alfred. Once Alfred is gone, I imagine he'll be just like Batman Beyond Bruce.

The mental toll of having to fight the same pack of rogues every year and they just keep getting out of Arkham. It's no wonder Snyder's Batman said fuck it to the no-kill rule.

>What do you think OP, that he'd kill crime forever, marry Selena, live happily ever after without any radical changes to his character?

Even the original comic Batman, the Earth-2 Batman, that married Selina, became the Gotham City police commissionaire and had a daughter got fucked in the end. Selina was murdered, their daughter became a revenge obsessed vigilante and Bruce killed himself trying to kill the man that killed his wife.

She got old or she died, my best guess. I don't remember her being particularly relevant in the DCAU in late JL/JLU.

I liked seeing Virgil Hawkins and Gear still doing their own thing in the late 50s though. The two episodes featuring them were great.

I remember loving Superman Beyond, with him coming to grips with the death of Lois, young side characters like Jimmy Olsen now accomplished members of society, and seeing the 5 surviving members of the Justice League fight along side him. That and him dealing with the fact that his relatively longer longevity has entire generations of people he grew up with die off. Been awhile since I read it, but unlike Bruce, Clark never really became the emotionally broken husk Old Bruce was when confronted with the realities of his life.

Superman was under mind-control. Hell, he was pissed that he wasn't even conscious for when Lois died.

Woah you sound triggered faggot. Neck yourself next time to spare everyone the embarrassment of reading your sperg outs.

this is why he needs a multiple Robins, Batgirls and general Batfam
to keep him sane and kinda cheerful
dark, gritty Batman driven by nothing but his rage isn't fun at all
I thought these superhero movies were just marketing for selling toys
I can't understand liking that edge when I was little

anyways

this should be Batman's theme song

youtube.com/watch?v=goVMPBuw8uY

Calm down kid, no need to sperg out because you got called out

But I didn't. You just went
>NOT MUH BATMAN
And then made yourself look like an ass. Don't worry you can have the last "epic" retort but it won't wash away the memory of the shame in your parents eyes every time they saw you.

But you are the stupid one that said that Clark and Dick would be the ones at his funeral and then said you were talking about the DCAU.

Which shows, again, how stupid you are since Dick in that continuity left the city to never come back and never had any interaction with Bruce again.While at the same time forgetting about Barbara and Tim.

>that pathetic personal insult

Assuming everyone is a loser like you will not make you right, try harder.

Except for the 2.0 comic which changes all that. But I wouldn't expect a retard like you to read a comic.

>kind of flipped his shit when they tried brushing off Cadmus trying to nuke their problems away
That's not really why he flips out. He's dismayed that the Justice League is getting too powerful and starting to act more like the Justice Lords (sending Doomsday to the Phantom Zone), and when he asks Superman point blank who would stop him if they ever did go rogue, Superman jokingly replies
>There's always that Kryptonite you carry around

Since Bruce is all but in a full body cast at that moment in time, Superman's answer is a stark reminder of his comparative powerlessness.

oh yes, the shitty comics done time later by people not involved with the show

>calls other retards

Embarrassing, seriously

Bruce Wayne lives in Batman's attic

At least Doomsday didn't get his brain fried. Which seems odd since that's what happened with the Justice Lords, since at least the Phantom Zone isolates him.

Who is this qt?

This is literally the only page where Selina was ever shown in Beyond-verse AFAIK. I think she was name-dropped maybe once during the show.

Given Bruce at the time of BTAS, this is bait.

We all know the real answer, though.

By being an asshole

You mean the comics not made by people associated with the show and the comics that changed some things from the show in order to add more shitty drama

Being batman was his life's work. Now he cant be batman. Of course he's bitter

>At least Doomsday didn't get his brain fried
Not for lack of trying, though. He had evolved a defense against it after the first time.

Not that Batman has any way to know that.

Late reply, but:
“[In the Batman Beyond DTV], instead of Waller, Selina Kyle herself was going to be the one who cloned Batman. Staying much closer to the ‘Boys from Brazil’ set-up, Selina hedged her bets and created lots of Bruce Wayne clones, and systematically murdered their parents when they reached the proper age. Most of them didn’t become manic-depressive crime-fighters, only Terry and one other—a young boy she adopted and raised as her own son. There was going to be a creepy ‘Manchurian Candidate’ aspect to their relationship, with the aging (but still disturbingly kinda sexy) Selina coaxing the kid into becoming an über-messed-up avenger of evil.

“Selina’s ‘son’ was going to be the main bad guy ‘muscle’ of the story—a twisted version of Terry / Bruce, with his own ‘dark superhero’ outfit and everything. The plan was for him to be bumping off criminals from the Batman Beyond Rogues Gallery, and possibly even an old-timer like Edward Nygma, thus setting the plot in motion (this part was always a bit too ‘Phantasm’ for me, but I did like the ‘Manchurian Candidate’-ness of him).

“This version of Selina had, at some point in the past, ‘seen the light,’ after years of Batman nagging her to use her talents to help people instead of just helping herself. She eventually realized he was right, but with ‘born again’ zeal, decided Batman himself didn’t go far enough in punishing criminals; she needed a Batman who would help her eliminate criminals (i.e. kill them dead) and set about creating one."
jl.toonzone.net/episode50/episode50.htm

Well, that comic that came out a few years ago showed Bruce reconnect with most of his family in his later years thanks to Terry.

Although that even more future episode seems to show how Bruce really good at burning bridges when he gets into a mood, since he's back to just having Terry in the end. Although at least he still has one person who can tolerate him.

Every few years they all disconnect, leave it like that for awhile, and then reconnect.

and that comic was shit

Another late reply, but after both Selina and Dick turned down her advances, she escaped prison one more time and made a fortune, allowing herself to live in luxury in France. It's suspected that she continued to be a cat burglar while living the high life, but she and Bruce hardly interacted after that. In Beyond the two mentions of her are Bruce sharing some learned wisdom about trying to "rescue" a girl who's a criminal after he falls in love with Melanie Walker (Ten), and when Bruce is reminiscing of his lost loves at the mega-computer, looking at old photos of them together.

It was fine, except for the abortion part. And that was mainly bad since CAD has killed our ability to see this as drama, it's a joke.

The actual character interaction was fine though. It was the only real batman beyond in years, unlike that bullshit where they tried to include him in an event awhile back, it was stupid, wasted potential, and he died.

I can tell you which of those actually felt somewhat like batman beyond.

How indeed.

It's better than the Dark Knight Rises ending for Batman.

Batman giving up was absolutely disgusting.

>after both Selina and Dick turned down her advances

Who's advances?

Jeez, it's almost like he has issues

Because he failed to make a difference. Gotham was a shit hole when he was the Bats and Gotham is still a shit hole now.

Had he actually spent his billions on improving the social causes of crime instead of fancy gadgets to beat up the criminally insane then he might have made a difference but he spent his entire life trying to avenge his parents and in the end he didn't make any real difference.

It was the ending Nolan had to do to continue/end the trilogy.
At the end of Begins, Gordon's faith in Batman is rewarded. At the end of Dark Knight, Fox's faith in Bruce is rewarded. At the end of Rises, Alfred's faith, the one who went out the furthest for Bruce, is finally rewarded. Doesn't Alfred deserve that?

>Batman giving up
he died m8, last scene was alfred's fantasy

Dont leave us hanging familia, what happens next?

>We're all in this together
Holy shit Morrison I love you no homo

No.

Not really. Batman saved the city and the fucking world from the greatest criminal minds of all time.

Future Gotham baddies are dangerous to a certain level and have future tech but motive, intelligence and ambition wise they're all amateurs compared to the old Rogue's Gallery.

It tells something when the only times shit goes really bad in Beyond is when an old baddie tries to come back (Rah's, Joker, Starro, etc).

Young Bruce would have steamrolled Terry's foes.

He wouldn't have, really. The base tech level had gone up. Things that would have challenged Bruce at the start of his career were standard now.

I mean if Bruce had lived in that age. Or is he kept enough youth at that point in time. I mean come on. Inque, the Mech Golem, Sonic Woofer guy, Hypno Dude, Powers and even curare would've been small time one-shot baddies in Bruce's times. They may have new tech but as criminal minds they were all very lacking. Also reminder Bruce is fucking brilliant in adapting the use of technology. The Batsuit that Terry uses is in fact a museum piece for his time and keeps up to cutting edge tech just fine.

because BB kept the same team from B:TAS, their villains were escalated versions of B:TAS villains, so I don't think fresh Bruce would have had a good time against them.

>Dick, Barbara, Tim, Selina--they all loved you but eventually every single one left you.
>You know what old man? Everyone was right about you. You really are insane.

>The only thing that matters is the mission.
You see his turn during the New Batman adventures. He becomes notably less heroic and more Aspergers.

Think before you post.

The only "happy" ending I can ever accept for Bruce Wayne is what we got in TDKR. Anything else like Nolans shit where he fucks off to sip coffee with Catwoman completely misses the point of the character

>TDKR
>Nolan
I know what you meant, but you should be more specific, given the movie has the same acronym.

Escalated in tech and means but look at the original run then at Beyond and you'll see they're all lacking in scope. Even Powers, the sort of main bad guy was just some evil corporate trying to get more riches. Inque was a subpar Clayface, Hypnoguy was a lame Scarecrow/Mad Hatter knock off, Sonic Wooffer Guy was just kind of there. Curare seemed interesting but sadly she didn't got much screentime.

Shit got Real when it turned out Rah's was alive in Diana and viewers were reminded how a real villain rolls. Not even talking about Return of the Joker.

Not to say future badies are harmless, far from that but even the writers seemed to portray returning BTAS villains as the real deal almost everytime (only Freeze got nerfed).

>except for the abortion part. And that was mainly bad since CAD has killed our ability to see this as drama, it's a joke.
Babs should never have gotten knocked up in the first place. Bruce as Bruce Wayne fucks chicks. You'd think he'd have a bat condom or some esoteric pulling out technique.

t. casual

So what exactly is the point of the character, then?

Royal Flush Gang has potential but they didn't have much screentime.

Because Bruce Timm was always a shitty conceptual person without some of the good writers he had access to and still managed to re-write stuff into stupid crap?

he kept blaming his morality for not tapping this , the thought of him not tapping that made him mad forever

>>The point is that Bruce Wayne, without any external intervention, is doomed to a bad end. The cold and miserable person see in Beyond is the logic conclusion of his character.

Alfred said something about that once, that the Bat family is Bruce's lifeline.

hes a big guy

it's like you've never read a fucking batman comic. or hell even watched batman beyond

The thing is, returning villains were high end BECAUSE they were returning villains, with a pedigree and experience, not because they were superior on a base end.

Bad writing.

I'M SORRY, BUT THAT'S NOT MY BATMAN!

I loved when Brave and the Bold adapted this storyline for an episode.

Alfred died, the last part of Bruce Wayne died with him.

Why on earth did Terry think it was a good idea to take him to that musical?

Superman beyond is another very logical conclusion for Superman much like old Bruce is for Bats.

they run with the "Superman ages slowly" thing to it's natural end- everyone around him grows old and dies, while he stays mostly the same, which first off- kills Clark Kent, because while you can get by on excuses for a while, you cant forever when even jimmy olsen is old and grey and you still look like a spring chicken.

So what happens, lois inevitably dies, and Superman has to eventually stay superman all the time. And he begins embracing his Kryptonian side more, reflected by his suit, which is a modified version of the undersuit Jor El wears in the very first STAS episode

also yeah Static in the league was cool. Static generally meshes pretty well with Terry. Which is why their crossover episode in Beyond was off, terry was horribly characterized as grumpy and moody. more like bruce than himself

Static is the guy that shouldve been in the league instead of Cyborg if they wanted a black leaguer

I really like that batsuit. I dont know why but i do

This is why I liked Burton/Keaton's Batman, you got the sense that when he was Bruce Wayne he let off steam as a playboy so he didn't go insane by being the moody grim-as-fuck Dark Knight. It helped to keep him a bit more balanced than just a depressive fuck 24 hours a day.

tim got tortured to the brink of insanity, killed joker, and left him. barbara followed not long after. he never reconciled with dick or selina. gordon died. alfred died. he spent several years alone, fighting a war he couldn't win, and then age caught up with him and he had to hang up the cowl. and even after that he spent several years with just Ace as company, brooding alone while his company was stolen from under him by legal means

>nintendo has a lot to answer for

lel

dont stop now, it was just getting good

>how does batman becoming a horribly bitter and deeply disturbed loner

uhhhhh

>What they did it was to explain why a perfectly normal family were divorced even though they weren't hostile to one another or even attempt to be further away or see other people.
Divorced spouses can still be on good terms with each other. It's not rare.