DC Comics Humiliates Marvel With August 2016 Marketshare, As Diamond Sets A Record Month Of Sales

bleedingcool.com/2016/09/16/dc-comics-humiliates-marvel-with-august-2016-marketshare-as-diamond-sets-a-record-month-of-sales/

Retail Market Share
>DC: 39.27%
>Marvel: 30.78%

Unit Market Share
>DC: 44.59%
>Marvel: 32.11%

Other urls found in this thread:

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-08/-batman-v-superman-seen-earning-less-profit-than-superman-alone
bleedingcool.com/2016/04/14/dc-comics-to-make-141-of-their-rebirth-titles-returnable/
comicsbeat.com/tilting-at-windmills-254-the-one-about-nighthawk/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>DC has surpassed Marvel in market share

Goddamn. Glad it happened with a good slate of books and improved editorial climate.

There is a god!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

we already have a thread

Suck it Marvelcucks StarWars is a nonfactor now.

Does this mean that Marvel are going to step up their game, or that we're gonna get as many "hail hydra" twists as possible?

>comics
Who cares.

>meanwhile at Marvel movies

>Avengers 2.5
>featuring SPIDER-MAN
>makes less than IM3

Your movies are dying too, my friend.

Yeah, poor Captain America 3 made only 1.1 billion.

In b4 "b-but DC's books are returnable" and "b-but there was no Civil War issue in August" Marvel defense

>>Avengers 2.5
>>featuring SPIDER-MAN
>>makes less than IM3

Can't hide from the cold hard truth.

This is clear proof that Marvel should do whatever I want it to do anyway.

>Thinks it wasn't purely because RDJ was in the movie.

>Batman vs Superman movie
>featuring Wonder Woman
>makes less than solo Batman movie

Is the DCEU dying?

Let's look at what their plans are for the coming months:
>All New All Different will end and Marvel will rehash the NOW! brand
>Clone Saga returning written by Slott
>Inhumans vs X-Men (yet another heroes vs heroes event)
>Bendis still writing most of the Marvel books
Seems like Marvel just wants to stay the course.

Good to know. And really good for the industry as whole!

DC resolved a lot of the issues that the N52 has rised, with Rebirth while is trying and succeeding on delivering better books. Hopefully Marvel will follow, because right now it's a disappointment.

>Implying marvel arnt happy with the current situations
literally everyone agrees that Marvels comic output of the last 5 years has been terrible
DC succeeding will only mean marvel will have to step up their game

It means Marvel simply doesn't care about comics because comics don't make the big bucks anymore.

>Is the DCEU dying?
For movies that everyone claims are shit, they're doing amazing numbers.

I think Marvel has to stay the course because they still have a thin talent base.

I like Mark Waid, but there's no way he'd be writing Avengers if Marvel could get someone younger and hipper. He's there because there aren't many writers who are reliable and willing to work for Marvel. Same with Nick Spencer, he's getting big books because a lot of bigger star writers left at the same time.

So less money, and terrible reception.
They are more than dead then.

More left politicial bullshit Marvel. More niggers, muslims and retarded feminism stuff. And more Bendis. Sooon you will have like 10% marketshare.

And they won't care since nobody cares about the comic industry anymore.
It's a platform to test ideas for the movies.

But they are still making them???
And they are still making tons of money???
And I enjoy them a lot???

You lose, my man.

Why are you typing like an obnoxious Tumblrina?

Never forget, when Bendis started on Iron Man the EiC announced that they wanted Tony Stark to be as popular in comics as he was in the movies.

A year later and they had to kick Tony Stark out of the book and pump it up with gimmick casting to keep it from collapsing.

Marvel doesn't understand its characters and the limits of their appeal.

It will probably get a soft reboot after Wonder Woman flops and Justice League underperforms.

Why not???
Does it trigger (You)???
:0

But the movies successfully got Disney to separate them from the rest of Marvel. If Marvel publishing sucks the movies aren't going to save them because they have no input on the movies.

>flops
Just like BvS "'''flopped''''' amirite?

No, BvS just underperformed.
But Wonder Woman, a movie that nobody cares about, is competing directly against Transformers 5 and Pirates of the Caribbean 5.

Poor Wondy is going to get spitroasted by Jack Sparrow and the demonic, psycho version of Optimus Prime.

>Poor Wondy is going to get spitroasted by Jack Sparrow and the demonic, psycho version of Optimus Prime.

Are there any drawfags here?

>thread is already movie talk
ffs, Cred Forums

>DC surpasses Marvel

How?
Marvel has all the Star Wars and Disney biz running through them.
Hell each comic makes more money than "drawing the line at $2.99" DC
I mean I'm glad Marvel btfo but I'm legit curious as to how did they lose in money of all things?

Oh no, that DCfag with the cringeworthy filenames.
Thought you sticked to your safe space threads in Cred Forums

>t underperformed.
>budget 250 million
>gross 870 million

nah

>buh buh muh superman muh batman muh 2 billion

Also, WW only cost 100 million to make. The DCEU is here to stay, bud.

>sticked
nice english retard

Just like SS flopped?????

>budget of 400 million
>the highest opening weekend in superhero history, literally 500 million in one weekend
>barely manages to make twice that in 3 months afterwards
>literally everyone expected it to make Avengers money

It was Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, and that's all they managed to do.
This universe has no legs to stand on, they squandered the three chances they had and basically killed all opportunities of generating hype for JL.

>WW only cost 100 million to make
That's surprisingly cheep for a superhero movie. I guess the action is more fist fighting than explosions everywhere.

Exactly like SS.
But a bit harder since there's no way to market a Wonder Woman movie, even less with the cardboard cutout actress they got.

Nothing here says anything about under performing though.

The joke is that SS did not flop.

DC should stick to comics, and Marvel to movies tbqhwymf.

>Exactly like SS.

>700 million
>flop

You guys are an endless wellspring of delusional comedy.

>humiliates
Come on, man... DC has lost many months worse than this in the last couple if years.

DC's movies are better than marvel's movies though.

It did, it was a massive underperformer.

It was such a hit that WB resctructured the entire company because of it, they had to put Geoff Johns in charge of the whole thing and take out Snyder from having control over the other movies, Cyborg and Justice League Dark are apparently cancelled, Suicide Squad got reshoots which clearly affected the first half of the movie, and Flash, Aquaman and Justice League are written to be less dark.

>N-noooooo...i'm in CHARGE HERE!!!

Not at all.
Both MoS and BvS were simply terrible, and Suicide Squad was just fluff, nothing happened, like a Thor movie.

>it was a massive underperformer.
k

this is penguin of D00M signing off

Snyder is STILL directing JL. I know that hurts

>Both MoS and BvS were simply terrible
You're in my prayers.

>Snyder is STILL directing JL. I know that hurts

Because firing Snyder a week before JL filming began would be admitting that everything went wrong.

>Transformers 5 and Pirates of the Caribbean 5.
You mean 2 walking corpse franchises?

Nigger thats the very definition of underpreforming IE making less than the investors expected
WB invested into BvS hoping it would make Avengers tier money

>all this movie shitposting
Incompetent fucking mods

The last 2 entries of those two walking corpse franchises broke the 1 billion barrier.

>thread about comics sales turns into a movieshit thread
typical Cred Forums

>SS
>flop

o i am laffin

>2 walking corpse franchises
If those two are walking corpses, then the DCEU is a starving zombie.

samefag

It's so fun seeing posts like this after all what happened, and then looking back...

>Meme Squad featuring Memely Quinn heavily promoted with Batman and Joker in trailers
>Makes less than Memepool

DCEU is dead.

>BvS
>1.7 billion
>88% RT

So what happened with all the talk of live action getting removed from Cred Forums. Seriously can't even talk about how shitty Marvel comics are before moviecucks jumping in for muh company Wars.

>mfw the only Marvelfags on this board are ignorant moviefags from the asshole of our site aka Cred Forums the land of BLACKED

>Reshoots are free

>mfw there are people who still unironically read comics

Typical Cred Forums.

>It did, it was a massive underperformer.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-08/-batman-v-superman-seen-earning-less-profit-than-superman-alone

BvS was expected to make $300mil in profit and will likely instead make $278mil, which is a drop of 7%. To put into context how much profit that is, compare it to the estimated profits in pic. BvS, the 2nd movie in a new movie universe, made about 3/4ths the profit of the 13th movie in an established franchise that threw anyone and everyone on they had on screen and introduced a fan favorite character.

Big picture, BvS did fine. Could it have earned more money? Sure, they could have gotten that 7% back if the movie was better received. Which is why they spun off DC Films to be more independent and put Jon Berg and Geoff Johns in charge instead of having a bunch of people try tweak with it. WB and DC want not only that 7%, but by their 13th film they want that extra $100mil that CACW got as well.

Why would anyone act so brazenly about pure guesswork?
Why would they identity their own posts?

1.jpg was an extremely obvious false flag.

>Dr Strange is going to get that predicted BvS RT score

>1.jpg was an extremely obvious false flag.
A thorough one, though.

Oh right, the reshoots that cost more than the production budget.
Thanks for reminding me.

Man, I don't even care about live action movie shitposting at this point, the board is what it is. But to see such shitposting in a thread about comic sales is just... it's like someone coming into a Superman storyte and storytiming Captain America comics.

>X-men Apocalypse
>1 billion
The X-men make good profit but come on man they barely break 500 mil each

Hollywood accounting means BvS may have made more profit than fucking Avatar or that it almost laid WB in ruins.
No one fucking knows for sure how much money goes to the pockets of the companies with these movies.
Reminder that Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince made 1 billion and it reported losses.

Again, there is no possible reason to attach an identity to such charged opinions other than to use later on the opposite side of the argument.

So does this confirm that BvS is better than Civil Meme?

Bury it

We already knew that.

>check out the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtled movie box office
>it made less than that
RIP

Apart from a bunch of fa/tv/irgins, no one thinks that.

What it confirms is that everyone of slight value left to the movie division of Marvel before it splintered since comics no longer make money.

>Thread about comic sales
>overrun by Cred Forums shitposters

Fantfourstic also didnt include the reshoots in the actual budget and that shit mounted up to 500 mil

vote /cpsht/

Mods are cucks of the biggest kind.

>false equivalence
always the last defense
thanks for playing

>that shit mounted up to 500 mil
>didn't even make 200 million
Jesus fucking christ.

People may talk a lot about WB and MCU, but Fox is the only one that has had actual flops, and their more profitable movies don't really make that much compared to the average capeshit.

DoFP grew, so some people were expecting the next one to do even better, not fall on its face.

I remember when marvelfags started calling everyone DCasuals and mods were banning people for speaking negatively about Marvel movies. I also remember when someone came up with "marveldrone" and after a month mods started banking anyone using the word.

>Hollywood accounting means BvS may have made more profit than fucking Avatar or that it almost laid WB in ruins.
The latter is not what Hollywood accounting is about. Hollywood accounting is about making the profit margin for their movies seem smaller so they don't have to pay people who agreed to get paid on a percentage of how much profit the movie makes.

For instance, a producer could be set to make .5% of a movie's profit. That movie had to be advertised. But because the studio used in-house ad agencies and television channels, the money they spent to advertise never really spent or left the studio and instead was essentially moved from one pocket to another. Those are still listed as costs for the movie and are deducted from any potential profits, reducing the overall profit margin and resulting in paying out less to other people who are owed a cut of the pie.

If it happened 5 years ago with New 52, it can happen again. Maybe Marvel's taking notice and realizing that yearly relaunches might not be the most sound business strategy, but I doubt it.

>no argument

>Dr Reshoots
>not a mess

They only reshot it to add more quips, the movie was fine.

Back before BvS, I once mad a thread about how much I loved MoS and it was deleted within seconds. I kept reposting it that day, and every time it would go down in seconds.

Literally the exact same as SS

no u

last reply btw

gloat for me bby

>to add more quips
fucking marvel

That's good.
Everyone who claims to like MoS is a shitposter.

Cred Forums mods have always been massively biased towards Marvel.

Just wondering, where are all these dckeks hiding every month that marvel destroys dc in sales?

Yeah i have never had a problem with live action on Cred Forums but holy shit what happened in this thread.

>Dr. Strange ends up being a fucking mess that could've been good if they didn't fuck with it

Let's be honest Cred Forums, comics and superhero movies have never been good.

You now remember that guy trying to make a thread about Ostrander liking the Suicide Squad movie and how they were instantly deleted while blatant company wars threads, meme threads and threads started with a picture of the SS cast and the simple sentence "this is shit" would stay up.

>bring back Aryan Wally
>all the stars align

NON-WHITES

B T F O
T
F
O

mod pls

pls

>comics and superhero movies
>comics
>im-fucking-plying
Just look at this thread, man.

Why would anyone be interested in a thread about anyone liking Meme Squad?

The mods did nothing wrong.

go cash your paycheck tubby

Theres another thread that has managed to steer clear of it if you want.

Where is it?
I want to derail it.

>These threads keep popping up
>Marvel sales will probably bounce back once Marvel Mower starts
>Pro-Marvel fags will get their chance to shitpost
>Cred Forums takes yet another step into become more Cred Forums-like

Fucking stop with this console war shit

I think the humilation is just how sudden the turnaround has been.

Fucking rekt

>Marvel sales will probably bounce back once Marvel Mower starts
yeah because ANAD did so well lol

What if instead of complaining about movieposting you comicpost

The 2 subjects can coexist

I do it for no monetary compensation.

Yeah because of marvel's lack of 2.99, having at least a dozen to two dozen more books, #1s, more variants/crossovers/events, and...

For DC to have all those 2.99 (not counting the shitty selling 3.99 HB, Vertigo, and pre Rebirth books) selling SO WELL that they beat marvel in units AND money is pretty humiliating
Especially since marvel has an event going right now that has at least a dozen tie ins
Like in June they had less than a dozen of those 2.99 books holding up their entire units and sales

>The 2 subjects can coexist
Not in this thread, you fucking retard.

so many ass blasted mouseketeers

this is all good news. Marvel has been complete shit for a while now. they need to burn.

But only fat virgins care about comics.

Chris Evans hates playing Captain America so much that he is qutting acting

Because he wants to direct instead.
He also said once that he has a hard time dealing with all the tours and such that a Marvel movie asks him to do due to his social anxiety.

(you)

It's true though.

bullshit, that fucker does not have social anxiety

BvS made convinced Hans Zimmer to stop making superhero movie soundtracks.

My favorite story is how he was composing the script for the final track and it was this epic heroic team up music and then got the script and was like "the fuck?"

Yes he does, just like Harrison Ford.
Evans just gets nervous and may start hyperventilating, Ford just starts being a dickhead.

only fat virgins post of Cred Forums

I still can't get over the fact that they saw the pretentious BvS trailers and thought "This outta make 1.7 billion!"

wait is THAT why he's always stoned??

i didn't think i could love him more

he doesnt.

>marvel will have to step up their game

How do you step up your game when Ike and Brian have their foot on the brake?

>composing the script

Doubt he's stoned, just a bit drunk.

thor is now a bitch

cap murica is now black

spiderman is/was doc ock? or some shit like that? and now hes black?

as someone that doesnt read much marvel this is the little that i know. and it sounds fucking retarded.

was talking about Ford.

doh. the story is from a reddit AMA but he doesn't name BVS. it was before the movie came out

So what, Batman has been a nazi communist since the 50's and no one cares.

He directed a movie recently. It was a GL-tier disaster: critics bashed it and it didn't make a cent. What a loser.

Seems qualified to helm a DCEU movie.

If you don't know about comics why are you compelled to reply to the thread?

kys

>Seems qualified to helm a DCEU movie
I wonder how Chris feels knowing that his image is used so often to mock people?

>its a Marvelfags try to deflect and talk about the movies
No comics fan gives a fuck about the movies

This is a trick question: there's no comic fans.

Those sales numbers say different

Great news!
Now shut up movie fags this is a comic thread.

Yeah, they should put a bomb in every comic to kill all those nekcbeards tbqh.
They are very fat.

>This is a trick question: there's no comic fans.
There are. Apparently they buy DC. :^)

Apparently among people who make DC comic purchases it's also very common to see BLACKED.com premium subscriptions, My Little Pony merchandise, Bad Dragon products and low quality, $10 Dakimakuras.

Can we stop wth the DCasual shit? I want to be called DChad, please.

But BLACKED is what Marvel is doing to its comics right now. Stay salty Marvelcuck.

Because it's been taken over by DC employees.
Fortunately, the MCU is safe.

Shame the DCEU didn't have the same luck, and ended up with a muslim Batman.

>over by DC employees.
[citation needed]

Guess you should go back to Cred Forums then.

Oh yes. I bet WB is pouring a shit ton of money into shilling in a website where people read comics for free. How could we not see that before?

He was so happy for cake in that episode

Based DC saving comics.

When is Trinity coming out btw?

last week of october, i think

DC's site says 9/21

So next week

The first time in history, I'm really glad for DC. Out of the Big Two, they are the only ones still knowing how to make an actual comic book instead of a headling on 'The View'

This. I'm so sick of Cred Forums's hate-boner for DC and blatant Marvel bias. For once I'd like to have a DC thread without Marvel shills shitting it up. The only "flaw" that DC's ever had was making comics for patricians and true fans instead of braindead "general audiences" and casuals.

Let's be honest, we're worse than Cred Forums at this point. At least the people on Cred Forums occasionally play video games. The average Cred Forums-poster these days has never read a single comic in his life let alone actually caring about them.

>Especially since marvel has an event going right now
Did August even get an issue of CWII? Far as I can tell, Civil War II is hurting their line more than helping it.

Or you can go fuck yourself, Cred Forums. Live-action being on Cred Forums was OK when it was like 6 threads total at any given time and they were filled mostly with Cred Forumsmrades. But that was many years ago now, and you faggots have swarmed in and ruined this whole board with your rampant shitposting.

That's the thing that gets me. None of you fucks give a rats as about any of this. You're just here to shitpost! Most of the people who come here to talk about the movies don't even really care about the movies either, they just see them as an easy opportunity for (you)s.

Movies were a mistake.

>this is what Cred Forumsmblr actually believes
Fucking kek. Go spend some time on /fit/ you lardass.

Sounds like someone didn't read this week's Superwoman #2. Oh right:
>it's OK when DC does it

This is Cred Forums you fucking idiot.

Don't get too excited, guys.

DC has switched to a sale or return model, like Archie Comics. Archie typically only sell 40% of the issues they print, and that's been dropping in recent years.

What you would expect with a new entry to sale or return is that initially there's skepticism from retailers, then much larger orders, then - assuming the publisher wants to continue using sale or return - the cover prices go up to cope with the additional wasted printings, or the quality of printing goes down.

The alternative to that end-stage is quite different - the price stays the same, or goes down, as it becomes impossible to shift the additional merchandise at higher prices. Sure, you can assume that the relaunch brought in a lot of new readers and the retailers are magically all selling every issue they order (even though that was never true before) - but there's good reasons to be skeptical about the way this rise has happened, especially since Diamond only records "sales" to retailers - which aren't happening under sale-or-return if those titles are returned.

It would be surprising, for example, to see a total sold copies figure that's higher than 60% of the DC unit share - because 60% is the best even the most popular titles could get back when comics all sold that way and were much more widely read than today - whereas every other publisher in that data set is selling their issues, final sale, to the retailers. If you look at where DC's sales figures have been all year, it does seem to suggest that the new model is simply masking lower sales - but again, we're only what, three months into this and it's not as if Rich Johnston is so on the ball that he's going to even notice this, let alone investigate. Are there even any other comics journalists?

well you ship nothing but #1s idiots will buy em

Except we're already on #6's and the sales are still going strong. Stay salty.

>implying I'm going to read your longass explanation of why "b-b-but Marvel actually won!"
Pathetic. Just take your $0.25 and go, Mr. Intern.

wtf I hate marvel now

It didn't; it got delayed to September.

>DC has switched to a sale or return model,

Only for the first few issues.

bleedingcool.com/2016/04/14/dc-comics-to-make-141-of-their-rebirth-titles-returnable/

>That’s the first 6 issues (including Rebirth specials) of all the bi-weekly titles.

>And the first 3 issues (including Rebirth specials) of all the monthly titles.

They didn't "switch" to it. They did the same thing with the New 52 early on. Early issues were returnable while the later ones weren't. On top of that the charts provided by Diamond reduce the number to account for returnability. It could be possible they sold more than they appeared.

>Archie typically only sell 40% of the issues they print,

On the newsstand, which works differently from the direct market.

This is the best summation of how different the direct market and the newsstand/mass market works that I've seen in years:

comicsbeat.com/tilting-at-windmills-254-the-one-about-nighthawk/