What went wrong with Batman Beyond apart from its lackluster gallery of mostly new rogues?

What went wrong with Batman Beyond apart from its lackluster gallery of mostly new rogues?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GD6q4C_2hPc)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

related to the rogue problem, everyone dies

less potential for the epic rivalries that made two face and the like so memorable

The writing was also bad.

Terry was just plain awful.

He might have been an ok spiderman though.

Too many one-off villains, and the ones who do recur hardly get to come back are very one-dimensional with forced melodrama to attempt to make them seem more sympathetic. Almost everyone in the Beyond universe is absolutely evil with no moral stipulations.

Even worse, the one time that Batman Beyond DOES make us feel is when they resurrect Mr. Freeze, or when we see Bane after years of injecting Venom. Bruce's rogues gallery is just so far above anything that Beyond managed to produce.
(youtube.com/watch?v=GD6q4C_2hPc)

Then there was the forcing in of Maxine Gibson, just because the producers wanted to pander to minorities. Bruce had already taken the role of Alfred, but then suddenly Max shows up to "become" his Alfred, making Bruce's job almost redundant. Plus Max episodes were generally shit because she's borderline Mary Sue in a show where everyone is meant to have glaring flaws.

Ultimately what makes the show more difficult to watch is that Terry is supposed to be a punk with good intentions. When he DOES actually act like a dick to everyone, it comes off as childish and forced, rather than a delinquent who's been growing up relatively poor with divorced parents and having no one he really could talk to and getting involved with gangs. The whole point of him first putting on the Batsuit was to get vengeance for his father's death; then, with that resolved, with a part of him still thinking it's his fault his father is dead because he was acting like a thug, he believed that being Batman could be his own form of atonement for his "failure".

Instead what we're given is a smart-mouthed kid who would serve a better role as Spider-Man instead of taking on the Bat mantle. Terry does have his moments now and again, but his Batman is just so generic compared to what Bruce was in the same universe.

plus we never really did see clayface, and it was reported that he'd have his own episode but was scrapped

unless you count a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment in "mind games"

show me

The highschool shit

Either dont have him in school , or dont show it

No one wants to watch Terry take classes or have to deal with making it to the prom or bullies or other HS teen drama bullshit

>The fucking egg episode

i mean it's very vague, but it's still connected to clayface if you choose to believe it

cause honestly it's more like an easter egg...
S2Ep10

The mostly new rogues was one of its strengths, the Batman Beyond comics constantly referencing the past and making new characters carbon copies of present day ones is one of the reasons they always suck. Batman Beyond wasn't just answering "where are they know" for Batman's current Rogues Gallery, with only a couple returning and the ones that did having new twists applied.

The lack of blood on the 3rd season.

>producers wanted to pander to minorities.
never change, Cred Forums

>Instead what we're given is a smart-mouthed kid who would serve a better role as Spider-Man
Batman Beyond came about all BECAUSE the producers told Dini and Timm to make Batman into Spiderman

Wasnt Inque a reoccurring rogue or am I remembering that wrong? I think her and Blight were the closest thing Terry had

- Switch to digital meant most of the show looked worse than the first dozen episodes
- Bizarre final episode
- The JLU episode tarnishing the show.

you're correct user

Is this a fucking Bizarro Cred Forums thread? What the hell is happening?

CHAINSAW KNEES only had one episode

>People didn't like Terry cause he wasn't like Bruce

He was never supposed to be.

The whole show is about how he isn't like Bruce. Neither were the Robins.

This is why Terry needs the suit. He doesn't have the training and without the suit and Bruce directing him he'd get steamrolled. He's learning. He doesn't have the luxury of doing years of training before putting on the costume like Bruce does and he has things Bruce didn't that kept him from becoming totally obsessed.

>white lead
>black best friend
>Asian girlfriend

Every cis white male's wet dream

Why the fuck did they kill off Blight so fast?

She was the most recurring one, I think

>Give Terry an evil counterpart he unknowingly trains with and forms a sort friendship with
>He turns into a dinosaur and dies
To hear the showrunners talk about that it's like they were high all through productioncause nobody liked that resolution

Inque showed up the most. Blight was the "main" overarching antagonist for the first season but then quietly vanished. I think I remember it being something along the lines of them feeling like they wrote themselves into a corner with a rogue who constantly produced lethal levels of radiation anywhere he went. A shame, since he was a strong character who worked as an antagonist for both Terry and Bruce at the same time.

Shriek showed up several times as well. His deafness indirectly being Terry's fault made things personal, so it was nice seeing him show up again, and for them to do the usual "something terrible happens to the bad guy by the end of the episode" routine but not actually kill someone.

I think Curare and that Kraven the Hunter knockoff showed up a few times each as well. I don't remember either one being particularly interesting.

There was also the Batman Beyond version of Spellbinder who showed up once. I'm surprised he didn't show up more than that single time, unless I'm forgetting something. Didn't he not die by the end of that episode?

Other than that, there was also the Jokerz overall (and specific ones in particular) and the BB roster of the Royal Flush Gang that also showed up several times.

The show really seemed more concerned with having one and done stories and enemies than reusing the same ones over and over. In a sense, I can respect them for doing that to mix things up. On the other hand, it does make it harder to associate Terry with a large, robust rogue gallery.

But between the ones I mentioned, he did at least have a decent selection to work with. I just wish they fleshed most of them out better than they did.

When they slapped on that new ending with JLU where Terry is somehow the biological son of Bruce Wayne through genetic bullshit and without Bruce ever knowing that even happened. I felt it destroyed any most of Terry's character as Batman because now it's all magically handwaved as him having Batgenes, that he didn't develop his own morality and desire to protect others and keep the city from being overtaken by crime and manipulative forces but that they were instead implanted in him at a genetic level.

I'm just really mad about the episode. I was looking forward to a really good time when I first heard they were gonna bring the Beyond continuity to a close, and then they dropped that bullshit on me. Fucking fat black bitch mastermind keikaku horse shit.

I enjoyed it more than B:TAS as a kid, but then again I was the target audience.

Loved his rogues gallery, loved the fact that he was in school, only thing I hated is that he didn't carry a harem like Bruce.

Well it's not like B:TAS didn't have its own share of one-offs as well. Clock King, Under-Dwellers, that invisible divorced dad, nobody cares that they were one-off villains in the show because you still had the big names showing up multiple times. Joker, Penguin, Two-Face, and that one bad business man that wanted to fuck up the slums by spreading disease through feral animals all show up many times over. In my opinion, however, what made that show great wasn't seeing familiar faces but instead getting to see how people are dealing with their problems, both villains and non-villains.
Heart of Ice was a damn good episode for example, but for you kids that don't know nobody ever gave a rat's ass about Mr. Freeze before that, he was just some jackass using a coffee pot to put shit on ice until that episode gave him a new identity that changed his character, his motives, and the symbols associated with him forever. What made the episode so great was how it told his story in whole from beginning to end without skipping a beat while showing that even the coldest villains are still just as human as any of us.

I still don't believe this happened.

Terry's recurring enemies were Blight, Spellbinder (showed up in around three episodes, by the way), Inque, Stalker, Shriek, Big Time, Curare, Willie Watt, Royal Flush, Jokerz and Cobra

I think it was only Blight that died from the main villians. Spellbinder, Curare, Inque , Shriek and most importantly Mad Stan all survived

Beyond never quite reached that same level of depth with the villains except that reporter except for handful of great episodes. I love the series, But I also feel like the sci-fi aspect makes it seem more "distant"
Unfortunately, the show was spawned by executives wanting a Batman in highschool show, so that's the one thing they had to do.
This