Thoughts on this show? I'll admit, it introduced me to the Penguin. I thought he was awesome...

Thoughts on this show? I'll admit, it introduced me to the Penguin. I thought he was awesome, but as I grew older I realized the character is actually a pathetic coward, not a fighter.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4rgKDtueytA
youtu.be/uWBIGd6BvKs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I have no idea why people hate this show's joker. I thought he was great

There are a few good episodes and a long list of bad ones.

Why did all of batmans villians know kung-fu anyway?

Good personality and attitude,
But bare foot rhasta hair buck tooth joker who does his own fighting?

I'm still pissed that BTAS finally presented Mr. Freeze in a sympathetic light, only for this show to put him right back as a killer with ice technology.

Better than you'd expect, not as good as you'd hope.

I agree with you, in theory.

However, in practice, it felt like comicbook Mr. Freeze was stuck living in Heart of Ice's shadow eternally. Oh, Nora this. Oh, cryogenics that. I'm so set upon, boo hoo. Even TAS gave him angles outside of that, until they got stuck on the immortality thing.

They wanted out of that mold, and they got it. I like the idea of Freeze's suit holding the chill in instead of keeping the heat out, for a Saturday Morning Cartoon version of the character at least. He was pretty consistently portrayed as one of the most dangerous rogues, which is a niche that most folks can't wrestle away from the Joker.

Admittedly, I liked the show's Joker too, I just felt he was overexposed. I think he's at least a third of all of the episodes by the end, and probably more.

Kids like kickin' rad fight scenes, bro.

So do I.

Easier to excuse why they Batman can't just sneak up on them and one punch them all the time.

Riddler was great and anyone who disagrees can suck my dick.

It was pretty good. People who don't like it typically use NOT MUH as an excuse. It was very different, and I appreciated that. For instance, I thought reinterpreting Killer Croc as a Louisianan man cursed by voodoo in the bayou was really cool. And turning the batwing into a fucking tie fighter was cool as hell.

It was pretty clearly a commercial for toys, perhaps more overtly than all the others, but that doesn't change the fact that all of Batman's vehicles and suits were pretty awesome.

It had new takes on a lot of classic Batman villains, which was pretty bold.

I liked it, but it really lost a lot of quality after they started the Robin/Batgirl seasons.

The Joker was good, too. Haters be damned.

The problem was that he was still a very boring villain. I kind of liked what the comics and had him lash out at others since Nora was dead and he was miserable, so he'd make others miserable as well. It still keeps the tragic story, but also opens him up for more use.

>I thought reinterpreting Killer Croc as a Louisianan man cursed by voodoo in the bayou was really cool.

They never gave him a straight-up origin. Even the comic tie-in gave him flashbacks as both a genetic experiment gone wrong and a carnie freak.

Yeah, it's hard as hell to write a post-Heart of Ice Mr. Freeze with his sympathetic backstory taken into account. That's why they gave him exactly one (1) other episode in the original series, and that was really a story where Walt Disney was the villain and he was just along for the ride. Sub-Zero was okay at best, but the problem is obvious - when he's just a semi-reasonable guy who has a sick wife, there's no reason for Bruce Wayne to not just throw his money at Nora Fries until he chills the fuck out (pardon the pun).

That's why they gave him a new motivation in the post-art-shift episodes, but most fans HATED that, so again, you see that problem where people will ALWAYS compare your story to Heart of Ice. All things considered, they could've done better, but I understand why they ran with a full-on criminal Mr. Freeze. Didn't he have a photo of him and a woman on his dashboard in his origin flashback? I always kept wondering when she was gonna turn out to be Nora and give him some depth.

>He was pretty consistently portrayed as one of the most dangerous rogues, which is a niche that most folks can't wrestle away from the Joker.

You'd think that more writers would remember he's walking around in what is functionally powered armor. I think Winnick is the only writer who has ever used that idea in a story.

>I thought reinterpreting Killer Croc as a Louisianan man cursed by voodoo in the bayou was really cool.
I think that's his origin in Bombshells

As I recall the show was animated by the same people that did Jackie Chan Adventures and they needed an excuse to do good high energy action scenes.

You can't really blame Freeze being pigeon-holed into the Heart of Ice version in every iteration right after BTAS aired it. It was the one that brought him back to the front of the rogue's gallery as well as the one that boosted the series's popularity the most going forward. Out of all the villains that everyday people people know about in batman canon, that version of Freeze was the most sympathetic and least malicious villain of the bunch.

They wanted it to be more action-oriented than Batman: TAS. There was action in B:TAS, but there was also a lot of focus on drama and on the villain's psychological motivations and backstories. In the Batman, there was less emphasis on making the villains sympathetic.

Ron Perlman did a good job as his VA.

While I respect the fact that the crew on The Batman tried to go in their own direction with origin stories and character designs instead of just copying what BTAS did or what JLU did, in almost every case, BTAS and JLU did a better job handling the characters.

The problem was that it was a bit of a slog it's first season then got better later on.

I enjoyed the first two seasons the most before Batgirl and Robin. It was interesting to see a younger Batman learning to be a crimefighter and also having to balance that with being Bruce Wayne (the philanthropy, the public appearances, the business meetings, etc.). I liked his relationship with Detective Bennett and Detective Yin. It sucked that they dumped Detective Yin as soon as Batgirl showed up.

So fucking stupid. That doesn't get enough hate.

Hottest Poison Ivy, wish she had rose petal hair more often. She's canonically 19, by the way.

You all have to admit this show had a GOAT opening though

youtube.com/watch?v=4rgKDtueytA

Like a more kid-friendly Reznor.
Also, just cleared my cookies and don't have Legacy Captcha on. What the fuck happened to the captchas? I remember street signs after a dozen posts not archaic-German on my first shitpost.

Except for Batman, funnily enough.

I didn't like this version because most of the time, she just seemed like a bratty teenage girl. The older version (in her late 20's/early 30's) version who had a background in botany seemed more intelligent and more of a threat. It probably also helps that the older version was modeled after Betty Page.

Poison Ivy being more of a Babs villain was interesting and refreshing.I really do like that they made her younger and what they did with her hair, and I wish that other iterations would borrow both characteristics from time to time.

Admittedly, turning Ivy into a nymph made her more boner-inducing for me, especially if you factor in how she's so much younger than Batman compared to her more traditional depictions.

The hairstyle looks like something out of Sweeny Todd.

I could never get into this show because of the art style. It reminded me way to much of the Godzilla cartoon and the MiB cartoon of the late '90s and I hated them when I was younger.

Also everything visually about their joker design was retarded.

It felt like the writers just gave up during the last season. "Fuck it, this show is now about the Justice League."

>I'll admit, it introduced me to the Penguin. I thought he was awesome, but as I grew older I realized the character is actually a pathetic coward, not a fighter.

He didn't really do a lot of fighting on this show. He had those two kabuki robots that he used as bodyguards.

I like this one more, it has the Adam West theme hidden inside of it youtu.be/uWBIGd6BvKs

I think once they ditched the straitjacket, this version of the Joker was pretty fantastic. Not a traditional one, but the sawteeth and the dreads look great. I appreciate that they tried to do their own spin on all the villains, and I think it worked out well for most of them.
It's a pretty great theme, but it just can't compare to the original.