Franco-belgian thread

Hey Cred Forums,anyone reading any new series or albums? I have the quest for the time bird loaded up on my tablet currently, gonna start reading through in a bit

also I'm in Paris for a week, anyone got any store or series recs? Did a quick Google search and saw a place called Les Super Héros, gonna check that out for sure

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/k7t1d6khh0424/Wake
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

WTF is Lanfeust and why does t have so many spin offs?

Boring fantasy/scifi adventure that's "sexy" enough to keep suckers hooked.

Same as every single other Christophe Arleston comic.

>WTF is Lanfeust
Basically a science fantasy cape series set on a colony planet out in the hicks.

>and why does t have so many spin offs?
Because it's fun.

Novel concept on a cape board, I know.

Also well known enough (at least that I've seen on here), that people can recognize it immediately and know it's a Franco-belgian thread

There's an area under the Seine with like 6 shops near each other. Most of them part of the Album chain.

Have you read Peter Pan by Loisel? It's great.

Look for the intersection Rue Saint Jacques - Boulevard Saint Germain.
I wanted to buy something while I was there, but I can't read French. So it had to be an English comic book or a wordless comic book. I asked at the store for wordless comics and got this one (which I bought) and several others recommended.

Currently working on Les Trois Fantomes de Tesla, first-pass translation done, then starting on shangri-la, the most recent comic by Mathieu Bablet, the guy behind adrastea and beautiful death, both of which I really enjoyed

I think that's album comics, which was another shop on my list
I'll see if there's other stuff around there so i can schedule my generic tourist stuff as well, thanks user

The Love-series is pretty okay. Anglos seemed to have some troubles with animal genitalia though.

Oh im dumb, didn't read the post already pointing out they're album comics

I managed to snag a copy of Bramble for $6 right as it went OOP. I really enjoyed it

Looks interesting, I'll keep an eye out

I tried it, but the dialogues are so terrible I stopped at vol 2.

I enjoyed L'Or et le Sang, about two former soldiers becoming pirates and weapons traffickers during the morrocan Rif war in the 1920's. Strong wind of adventure and international politics.

Next on the list, L'Epee d'Ardenois, and Lilith (if I can find a translation)

>got any store recs
If you're not from France: La Fnac is a chain of cultural supermarkets, that got a decent comic section. It's not the holy grail of comic stores, but as one of the dominant actors of the market it's interesting to see.

Nice fantasy series with a couple original ideas (Trolls, magic system) and low-brow humor that became a cash-cow franchise.

So in the early 2000's DC partnered with Humanoids and put out some volumes of Euro comics kind of like what Epic did with Moebius in the 80's. It's a shame the idea seemed to fail, having more affordable versions not just the deluxe hardcovers Humanoids puts out seemed like the thing to introduce American readers to these comics

Go to the neighborhood around Rue Dante, the whole area is swarming with comic book stores.
The Seine is dotted with booksellers too, so you can pick up an old issue of Pilote or Spirou while you're heading to the Musée d'Orsay.

Anyone been to the BD museum in Brussels? It's so good, shitloads of art and artefacts from tintin and spirou magazines, regularly changing exhibits of original art from various artists and albums.

Brüsel is also a god tier comic shop, they sell original art and some really cool deluxe editions and ex librises too

np
You're in Paris right now? Otherwise if you're a fan of Tintin, there's an exhibition that starts 28 September.
(and December 7th starts a Gaston Lagaffe exhibition, 25 October one on Schuiten/Peeters from The Obscure Cities. Paris is kind of like comic book city for a few months.)

I've seen pictures of what the museum's like, and it looks amazing, I really want to go there someday.

Fucking Sillage mate. I love it

I've read, its great (did that user ever finish the new scanlation that isn't so stiff sounding?). A bit more than I'm looking to pick up on this trip though, limited by space and $
So i just passed the shops on the tour bus, looks like they're pretty close to notre dame and the pantheon, so I'll likely spend a day in the area later in the week

Yeah, leave on the 26th, so I'll miss the exhibit, unfortunately.

Turns out there was a store nearish where im staying, la planete dessin i think it's called. Solid selection + pleasant find

>(did that user ever finish the new scanlation that isn't so stiff sounding?)
Yes.
mediafire.com/folder/k7t1d6khh0424/Wake

There needs to be more rips of Europe Comics releases or more scanlations otherwise these threads are worthless et merde.

I liked Sillage and a couple of weeks some user posted here all editons of Seuls/Alone which made me enjoy the series much more, before I only read 4 and 5 and it didn't make make much sense to me.

Maybe we can make a european comics general.
Just an idea.

There used to be, but it died for lack of interest, I think.

One thing that's annoying with threads about European comics is that they're hard to find sometimes.
I used to Ctrl+F "euro" but then some people start a thread with "Franco-Belgian" or "French". Or a thread about Tintin or Asterix becomes a Eurocomics thread or something like that.
It would be great if every OP had "euro" somewhere in there, but that's just not gonna happen

>There needs to be more rips of Europe Comics releases

The problem with Europe Comics is that because the company behind izneo is a part of the collaboration, they release everything on izneo, in shit resolution, and only later do they release a limited selection on comixology

>Shadow hasn't drawn its gun yet

Classic

Does anyone read any magazines about BDs? I got a subscription to dbd for my birthday and it's pretty good. Some interesting articles and reviews.

This month's one has an article on translating Asterix which seems fun.

le bump

It happens. Occasionally. Other times discussion sparks from a random thread, or the thread dies after a couple posts. It's pretty random.
In my experience it works better when you marry the general with a storytime.

I've got some old [a suivre], but that's all. dbd is good. Wish there were more analyses of the medium itself, like there are for movies.

Didn't some scanlators just randomly quit? I've thought about trying to get into it but i basically have no skills/knowledge to do so; im still a beginner in French, have no idea where to get scans/rips, and have no idea how to do the typesetting

Not just, but there aren't many left anymore. Data doesn't do much anymore, Ouash is off and on, I (phillywilly) have been on a break for a while but am getting back into it. Same for Sosich and his Eastern European pals, I think. But there were never that many people either.

French skills aren't as much of a problem as you'd think, English skills are much more important. wordreference.com and google translate are great help tools.

Getting scans and rips, the best place is emulebdz, almost everything that's scanned is there.

For the typesetting, just pirate photoshop. Pirate some fonts. You can try to match fonts with whatfontis and whatthefont, but many comics will either be fully hand-lettered or have a special font constructed from the artist's handwriting. Then you just have to erase the bubbles and put the text it. I like to use 2 plugins developed by a manga scanlator, typesetterer and releasify.

bump

little bump

I just found a site called comicextra.com where they have many uploads of comics.

Are you gonna do Exo v2, it just came out recently or Undertaker v2? Thanks for all your previous scanlations.