WTF is this...

WTF is this? I just saw it at a thrift store and thought it was just some cheap knock off comic by a random company trying to confuse people until I saw Waid and Gibbons names.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgam_Comics
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgam_Comics

>Not knowing Amalgam

Casual pls. It was a fun line

>he doesn't know about Amalgam Comics

Okay user, in the 90s, Marvel and DC worked together to make these comics that combined their various superheroes into one unified character. You'll get characters like Super-Soldier, a combination of Captain America and Superman, and characters like Dark Claw (Batman and Wolverine), and so on.

Were they any good? Did they get multiple issues per character or just a one-off?

Sparrow was qt and had legs that went on forever.

Marvel and DC cross over every six or seven blue moons. This was from an even where the had votes for vs. contests and everything. It was fun, but had downsides. Like Wolverine beating Lobo. That shit was so dumb they didn't even try to show it. I think the had Storm beating WW which was also bullshit.

It was pretty much the most popular character wins, the event.

In the middle of the event they had everyone do the fusion dance and shit like OP happened.

Some were kinda neat but they only had one issue each. They were the conclusion to 'Marvel vs DC' which had the individual characters fight each other for their universe. Just like DC's 'Convergence'.

>Like Wolverine beating Lobo. That shit was so dumb they didn't even try to show it.

Didn't they outright show that Lobo was paid to take a dive?

>It was pretty much the most popular character wins, the event.

That's why I always avoid these type of crossovers. Although Wonder Woman is much more popular than Storm.

>Didn't they outright show that Lobo was paid to take a dive?

Not during the event, but that's the kind of retcon I can get behind. Oh, apparently there's still a dude running around one of the two universes who can go back and forth at will who was, as far as I know, never used again.

>Although Wonder Woman is much more popular than Storm.

Now she is. Back then? X-men were the number 1, 2, and 3 selling comics. This was before Marvel decided that mutants were trouble.

They were decent, of the 3 I have read Thorion was genuinely good.

She is but Storm was still the most iconic female Marvel has ever had.

Really? She never even had any solo comics. I guess there just wasn't many female marvel characters to compete with.

I used to have all the titles
Maybe i still do

>CTRL+F
>"speed demon"
>Phrase not found

nigger, you can't have this thread without mentioning Speed Demon.

>Speed Demon
>oh it's gonna be flash and ghost rider
>AND ETRIGAN

best idea ever

I liked the "Iron Lantern"

Giving a weapon's designed a Power Ring seems like the most OP thing imaginable.

I felt bad about the marvel characters in general their elements were used in a extremely superficial way.

>iconic

I always cringe when marvelfans that word, she was popular, not iconic.
at all

Yes user, no Marvel character was ever iconic in all of its' decades of history compared to DC.

No marvel character is iconic.

My ass.

>Spider-Man
>Woverine
>Cap

Faggot

How long did this last again?

I'm just curious; I barely recall anybody being sad about this ending. I think everybody just forgot it existed after the first two issues. Or was it a stealth-mini?

>any of those
>iconic

Well that image is quite telling, batman is iconic, Spiderman isnt.

What the fuck are you on about, Spiderman is super iconic.

DCfag here. Spidey is a part of all our childhoods. Shit, the first comic I ever read was a Spidey comic.

Kind of disappointed in thid Amalgamation, it's so fucking obvious and not very creative especially when you have combinations like Spider-Boy and Wonder Punisher.

I would rather have Cap and Batman Amalgamation DESU and that one is a bit obvious too.

The joke is they're both as iconic as each other. It's ok, humor usually escapes autistics.

They were what they were intented to be, a fun experiment. Nothing special.

cancelled after 10 issues I think ? maybe 12.

the first arc was good, then it tied into Death of Wolverine and everyone remembered that Wolverine and Storm were boning for some reason, stopped paying attention and got cancelled.

to be fair, it didn't launch with great numbers.
X-Men solo books seem to want to push the main character away from the team, when clearly no one wants that.

In the 90s they crossed over every fucking year in different miniseries. It was after JLA/Avengers that they stopped.

Yes it is, i agree with you. It's extremely nostalgic, but i don't think it's iconic.

No, why?
You won't see the equivalent in a Batman comic, Spiderman isnt iconic, there's nothing iconic about the character, he is a personality and a power set, he isnt achetypical, the closest thing Spiderman has to being iconic is the responsability and power thing.

Access appeared in two more Marvel/DC crossover miniseries. He also showed up outside of an actual crossover exactly once, in an issue of Green Lantern (where he was apparently looking for Kyle Rayner to give Spidey some backup in a fight against Mantis and the Juggernaut; he went over to the Marvel Universe to find the Silver Surfer, but unconsciously brought Wonder Woman to Spidey's fight, then came back to the DC universe to drop her off), and then never again (despite DC and Marvel both having the rights to use him, just like they do with the term "Super Hero").

Spider man is known world wide, spawning many foreign properties over the decades
Quit being so one sided just because you didn't read a lot of spidey

>Spider man is known world wide, spawning many foreign properties over the decades

Yes he is, he is popular, not iconic. But you have no idea what iconic means.

What the flying fuck do you suppose it means?
You seem retarded

I've never ever read a super man comic
Yet he is iconic
I can accept this

How many successful X-Men solo books have there been? Wolverine and Cable are the only ones I can think of who can hold their own monthly. Deadpool doesn't count.

Testify! That and Spider-Boy were the high points for me.

In a global sense, spider-man is more iconic than superman

You really believe Iconic means popular?

Not even insulting you, iconic and epic are extremely oversuded words. Spiderman is my second favorite marvel hero after Beta Ray Bill, and is probably only second in popularity to Batman, but he isnt Iconic. He is an important part of pop culture, but Superman and Batman are Western icons. Spiderman is a great character and really well liked, but comics are called "capes" thnaks to Superman and Batman, bats used to be a SATANIC image in the early 30's all over the christian world, and batman changed that (that's why now the meaning of the bat had to be changed into a fobia). You can find countless Batman and Superman Parodies in comics and cartoons and live action shows from all over the world since the late 40's. MEanwhile, Spiderman get references or someone dressing as him in a halloween party.

"kryptonite" is used all over the world as a word that replaced achilles heel.
Spiderman is extremely popular among his target audience, he is bigger than both batman and superman among kids, but Iconic characters are well known OUTSIDE their target audience. We all know Spiderman powerset and designe is popular in india and japan, but that's not on pair to putting a towel on your back and pretending to fly, something a 50 years old farmer in peru or a italian 60 years old cook will understand. I'm not saying Spiderman is less of a character. Calm down.

No he isnt.

This is iconic.

>something a 50 years old farmer in peru or a italian 60 years old cook will understand
But you're just making this up though, You have no evidence of how iconic superman is in these countries

>Superman being associated with a word that's 4 letters different than his name makes him more iconic

Pretty much what i was thinking
Though supes is an icon
The various Spidey symbols are definitely iconic

People getting bit by radio active things is a Spidey trope

I decided to find out. Might have missed an annual or two but here. How many ongoing issues each character has had. Not counting one shots or minis.

X-Man: 79
Gambit: 54 (Gambit Vol. 3, 25. Vol. 4, 12. Vol. 5, 17)
Dazzler: 42
Daken: 40 (Daken: Dark Wolverine, 24. Dark Wolverine, 16)
X-23: 36 and counting. (X-23, 21. All-New Wolverine, 15)
Bishop: 30 (Bishop: The Last X-Man, 16. District X, 14)
Mystique: 24
Nightcrawler: 24 (Nightcrawler Vol. 3, 12. Vol. 4, 12)
Magneto: 21
Emma Frost: 16
Quicksilver: 13
Cyclops (New X-Men version): 12
Maverick: 12
Rogue: 12
Storm: 11

I'm from Ecuador and I was drawing a Spider-Man in the street and some homeless guy recognized him como el "hombre araƱa"

Choose to don't believe me but it happened. Now some homeless guy in a 3rd world country recognized Spider-Man he is Iconic

I know i had some issues of ice man
Am i crazy?

REMINDER: SONIC THE HEDGEHOG IS MORE ICONIC THAN SPIDERMAN
LET THAT SINK IN

He had some minis but no ongoings.

Well that fan base
Like a virus

Huh
Gotcha

gotchu senpai

>Back then? X-men were the number 1, 2, and 3 selling comics.

And the top comic book based cartoons, and one of the hottest videogames around (Storm appeared in half of the Capcom marvel fighting games, and is one of the god tier ones in MvsC2).

>Well that image is quite telling, batman is iconic, Spiderman isnt.

Batman is a cheap shit imitation of Phantom and Zorro.

His origin story even has his parents murdered after they watched a Zorro movie, which is why he became a "caped crusader". There was an elseworlds where they watched some john wayne western instead, and Bruce became The Punisher in a cowboy gear.

And lets not forget the most over powered amalgam
>Doctor Strange
>Dr.Fate
>Professor X

Shit was fun tbqh senpai, i dont see the big 2 doing this anytime soon, maybe they take themselves too seriouslly right now to do this goofy stuff anytime soon, or maybe the 90s where chokefull of crossovers as a gimmick to boost the revenue of an at the time seriouslly struggling industry

DC does crossovers at least once a year with various publishers. It's Marvel who doesn't like fun. There's Gotham Academy/Lumberjanes going on right now and I think one with Batman 66 too.

Not at all.

Even when you take the word comic out of the search you still get mostly Superman

>It's Marvel who doesn't like fun.

Granted, even they still do crossovers once in a blue moon. Just never with DC, because apparently there's a blood feud between Quesada and DiDio or something?

Historically speaking, I think DC's always been more open to crossovers with other companies than Marvel ever was.

Guess marvel dosent really care much because they already have fuck tons of money, DC aint poor either i know but still you know what i mean

Im feeling like digging thru my old stash and read me some batman/spawn crossovers shit was cash

What do you get in italian?

What do you get when you search for "heroe" in spanish?

Silhouettes aren't the deal breaker
Try typing in comic icons
Or hero symbols
It will certainly be more diverse

Then you fail to understand what ICONIC means

Dumping ICONIC portrays of superheroes, notice how pretty much every image is based on only 2 characters.

You have taste, user.

Ellis wrote a Storm solo mini back in the nineties

You hand picking these doesn't prove anything

are welcome to give arguments that are not "i like spiderman so he deserves to be iconic". Your feelings won't change facts.

I think you just have an overly narrow definition of "iconic". After all, most of those images seem to be Superman, yet if you ask, it's BATMAN who's more iconic.

That looks more like Alan Scott to me

2 can play this game

Iconic has a narrow definition and is not "popular".

Even better:

This

Sure you can. The thing is, thats a reference and nothing more.

This is also a reference, and only that. Take that song, it doesnt mean anything for anyone that wasnt familiar with the english dub of that cartoon, Pic related isnt a proof of batman being iconic. It's kust a fun reference.

Capes don't belong to super man, dipshit

You are a little triggered right?

At what a fan boy you are?
Sure
But i didn't say Spidey was more iconic
Just that he definitely is one
You act like there isn't the room in people's minds for more that two icons

What the fuck is this even supposed to be?
Are you saying Mysterion is batman?

It would have been cool to see a reference to him in Vibe, in that room where ARGUS keeps all the universe hoppers, like Pariah.

You don't know what iconic means, and you are not even trying to understand that the M in mcdonals is iconic, while the spiderman logo is just an spider.

Okay, now you're just posting characters with capes. How is Saitama specifically Superman it Batman?

You are so dense
Spiders make people think of spiderman

>86422731

>Spiders make people think of spiderman
No.

The spider man face logo is very iconic

You just really can't stand the idea

user, stop. How is that picture proving anything?!

Try it yourself, what could be iconic about his look, inspired by one particular character, specially in the country of heroic scarfs

Is not, that's why it's barely used in the products. And marvel dropped it, but sure it had it chance, they really dropped the ball with that, but is still sar away from batman cowl, let alone the logo.

Right?
And just think of how many hero designs have Spidey eyes

You are just typing with your buttcheeks now

>spidey eyes

Who else would you attribute it to?

This entire thread
>Spider-man can't be iconic because Superman is
>No they definitely can't both be iconic that wouldn't make any sense we have to continue this company war

>what could be iconic about his look, inspired by one particular character, specially in the country of heroic scarfs

Are we counting the Thwip hand pose?

You can't avoid company wars, it's best to just join in on shitposting

That's what I'm saying
That they both are
I don't give a fuck about companies

Yes, definitely

But Spiderfags havent give one single argument

The Spiderman face logo was cool and is the best thing mentioned so far, but still cant be compared to the Yellow oval or the S shield.
Superman is iconic since his traits and characteristics go beyond the character and can define Superhero with one simple thing, like a cape. Batman CHANGED THE MEANING OF BATS IN THE WESTERN WORLD. Prior to that for 600 years bats were a EXTREMELY satanic symbol. Spiderman on the other hand is just popular.

It's not a unique designe at all, specially when they keep changing the eyes all the time. Ditko did a great job but luchador masks were not redefined by Spiderman. And they are not iconic, they are a cool designe in comics, but don't define superheros. They are like Pirate boots in that sense.

It has nothing to do with defining super heroes
And bats are still seen that way

>But Spiderfags havent give one single argument

Definition of iconic

1: of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an icon

2a : widely recognized and well-established
b : widely known and acknowledged especially for distinctive excellence

Good God
A thousand times this

>Them being iconic doesn't take away Supeman or Batman being iconic.

It cheapens the word, it's like saying the kardashians are classy.

You don't get to decide that, shitlord
The way you state this reveals your true colors

You can a dog a sheep, but it won't be a sheep

Holy fuck
They just posted the fucking definition
Are you typing with Clark's dick in your mouth at this very moment?

You can if you make up your own definition of sheep like you did with iconic just so you can say Marvel has no iconic characters.

That how you cheapen a word. Guys like you making up definitions for words just so you can win internet arguments.

Are you fucking retarded?

It's a short tactic called moving the goal

*shit tactic

People are still little bitches about bats. Just because secularism and more focus on science happened around the same time as Batman doesn't mean Batman is why people don't associate bats with Satan anymore.

You have the power of the internet to keep yourself informed.

And with great power must also come grest responsibility.

Bitches sure, but people dont remember they were Diabolic, at all, Batman was a Satanic figure when it started and was a big part of his gimmick in the early 40's.
It's a secundary definition, the definition of ill informed americans, just like americans thinking Leftism and liberalism are related , usage doesnt justify stupidity

Dazzler is a unique case since she was a solo character before she was in the X-Men, I think.

You understand so little about language it's hardly worth trying to talk to you

No the fuck he is not. He's iconic, yes, but not Superman-level iconic.

Yeah, everyone! Fucktard's opinion should decide how everyone uses the fucking language.