We have story and character trope threads like 4 times a week but what are some design cliches that are common in...

We have story and character trope threads like 4 times a week but what are some design cliches that are common in cartoons and comics?

'Gonna start off with something that has gotten a lot of press but no one quite gets: Asians with dyed locks of hair. This isn't even common irl and most examples don't have fashion excuses, like being punk or goth. It's just very common within East Asian characters for who knows what reason. I know of over ten examples of Asian characters in cartoons with this style but almost no white examples and it's near-nonexistant in other races.

Here's another image for you, OP.

You know you're very right OP. Although I'd be lying if I said I didn't encounter quite a few Asians like that in high school.
At least pic related gets me hard

Why are Jewish people in cartoons redheads so often? Most Jewish people I've seen are brunettes but so many in cartoons are redheads. There are more redheads than Jewish people of other colors

>check up on my old asian gf out of curiosity from this thread
>she's has blue hair and is doing some kind of cultural war shit at college

Sometimes things go wrong OP

I think it's mostly because in dark backgrounds their hair doesn't stand out as much as it does when they do have something that isn't dark brown/black in there.

The Miko and Knives pics kind of illustrate this the best.

>bully
>he's bulky and huge

That's a stupid excuse. Over 90% of humans have black or dark brown hair. White people are pretty much the only race that has red or blonde hair, and even then most white people are dark haired. It's silly that black hair is considered too bland in cartoons or that it blends into the background.

>I think it's mostly because in dark backgrounds their hair doesn't stand out as much as it does when they do have something that isn't dark brown/black in there.

This most likely, at least from a design stant point.

Interestingly when I was in New York City I actually saw mostly blackpeople having hair with these sort of colours. But yeah, it definitely makes a nice contrast (most of them still dressed pretty awefully though).

I keep trying to tell you guys every time you bring it up, but the reason they do this is because the characters look Mexican without it.

Because literally every other white american sees Asians as quirky "KAWAII DESU" cutesy novelties.

If the character is male, 9/10 times they will be lithe and slightly effeminate, but incredibly serious.

It's easy in a comedy, jews and redheads are usually the joke charecter, the weak dorky guy.

Why the fuck is Mako included in this graphic? If anybody actually paid attention to the movie they'd understand why she isn't part of this lazy trend.

>That's a stupid excuse. Over 90% of humans have black or dark brown hair. White people are pretty much the only race that has red or blonde hair, and even then most white people are dark haired. It's silly that black hair is considered too bland in cartoons or that it blends into the background.
Black hair kind of does, especially in darker shots. See this picture of Miko Nakadai . That's why cartoons generally don't use it that often unless the art style allows for lighter outlines.

I would've said it's done because it gives an immediate impression that the character is rebellious and independent, possibly artistic (since characters with the streak often seem to be teenagers).

Of course that's based off the stereotype/perception that Asians are usually conforming, sedate, etc. and that not doing so makes THIS Asian character unique but yeah.

Knives Chau is pretty questionable too, since it was only for a couple of scenes and there was a story reason for it.

There's a lot of ashkenazi redheads actually.

It's hard to tell with the art style, but I think she's asian. She has the hair and her eyes are sort of almond shaped.

>I know of over ten examples of Asian characters in cartoons
Reason I dropped Kill La Kill.

Japan doesn't have this cliche because 99% of the population is some sort of asian or half-asian. If the anime takes place in America like Heroman and the token asian has dyed locks, they're probably going for this. Otherwise however it's not the same.

>This isn't even common irl

obviously never lived in Vancouver around Canadian-born-Chinese girls with daddy issues.

Nigga japan has this x10. Instead of dyed strands there's characters born with green hair and other colors

So, you know those characters in (mostly) anime, that you know are gonna be evil, or have really, REALLY questionable intent?
Why do they always give them "evil"-looking eyes? Why not give them normal eyes- hell, even rounder, and less rigid eyes? Wouldn't it be more unsettling to hear something dark or creepy come out of something that looks innocent?

It's not for the same reasons

I don't understand the vitriol over this. Yeah sure it's an overused design trope, but it's not racist.

Also putting Blink and Psylocke in there isn't fair.
Blink isn't Asian in the comics and Psylocke dyed her hair purple before the body swap.

>Black girls with straight blond hair

Like dude, black girls are best when they go all out black. Poofy Afros and long legs and all that. I see it all the time, like trying to make them conform to European standards of beauty and all that. Fuck that shit. Ill take Misty Knight and Mayday over that anime crap any day. Storm is an exception since its white white instead of blond

No one is saying it's racist. We're just annoyed by how overdone it is.

doesn't matter if it's racist, It's poor design choice, and It's overdone making it stale and undesirable to the eyes.

That's not a cliche in cartoons. That's an anime cliche, and tbqh most of the ambiguously brown characters are not intended to be black anyway.

So what happens when a Mexican character dyes a lock of their hair

Here's a new one, Fontaine Nekton from "The Deep"

I don't think Blink actually counts, since her design always was pink haired, not that one or a few lock thing.

I get what your saying my man

er, its not the same

Most bullies are portrayed as bulky and huge because physical bullying is the easiest to write. If you were to write a bully as a wimp or something, you'd have to utilize psychological bullying, which is harder to do.

For Japan, what you see is what you get. They're perfectly fine with cliches.

Why exactly 4:30?

Nekton isn't an Asian surname.

Her dad is black.
Her mom is japanese

Is seriously no one going to mention that the two in the top left are clones, and that color streak is used to identify them as clones.

Can it come any sooner?

considering she's wearing a chinese garment, she definitely is.

It's like 5% of ashkenazi are redheaded. For some reason drawing jews readheaded became popular in medieval art.

It's not a cliche. It's what East Asian girls actually do.