Tfw Aquaman has been a consistently solid title since 2011 thanks to the strong efforts of such talented creators as...

>tfw Aquaman has been a consistently solid title since 2011 thanks to the strong efforts of such talented creators as Geoff Johns, Jeff Parker, and Dan Abnett.

Feels good, man.

>his title is still the lowest-selling with the Rebirth brand

>still more than HydraCap

could be worse

i gotta give Johns points, he can make everything good when he puts his minds on it

>he actually had two books for a brief while

Do we live in the brightest timeline?

So this is what americans do in thier free time sit on the internet and talk about fictional characters from bubble gum wraps as if it was the old testament?

As someone who has never read Aquaman before I've been incredibly enjoying this new Rebirth run, it's fantastic but if I was a longtime fan surely I would notice somethings wrong with it. I don't care though since it is too enjoyable, especially things going on with Black Manta and NEMO.

The Old Testament and the comic book superheroes have been created by the same Tribe.

are you implying sword of atlantis wasn't good

I've seen some people not liking it because it's kind of a retread but yeah, I'm mostly in your situation (read a little Johns then stopped) and I'm liking it.

ain't that the truth

The other book fucking sucked, though.

The only bad Aquaman since the 90's in my opinion were Rick Veitch, Erik Larsen, and Cullen Bunn so no.

But for me never before have writers been building up what the previous creative team have done with the creator since 2011 thanks to the nice template Geoff Johns set up for the character. Before hand, you would usually have a writer come on board and completely disregard whatever someone else had set up before them. Now this did not stop Aquaman from solid runs but there was no real consistency with the character until now in my opinion.

And yet it's outselling nearly everything published by Marvel.

Also, as long as Johns is in a position of power at DC, they'll never cancel Aquaman. He loves him too much. Especially with a movie on the way.

>He loves him too much.

He doesnt, he loves his version of Aquaman.

Aquaman has been good in every single decade, Johnsfags need to stop deluding tehmselves

but then there was Bunn

but it did exist

they believed in him

How prominent was Mera in the older stuff? I'm always hesitant to start on all that, because from what I've heard she's usually either the token love interest that never does anything worthwhile, or a drama Llama to heap suffering onto Aquaman. If there's one thing Johns did right, it was putting equal focus on Mera as a partner to Arthur, which I think has been a major factor to the current volume's success.

Abnett sucks.

It'll outsell Cyborg, Deathstroke, and most of the monthlies (Birds of Prey, Red Hood, etc) once they drop off from their #1 issues.

Also, it's Aquaman. If it settles around 40k without Geoff Johns, that'd be amazing

no you

Aquaman has been fantastic. Of all the pieces of new52 to make the transition to Rebirth, was ecstatic to see Murk, Tula and Mera were still right where they had left off.

Then having Abnett take John's established mythos and characters and turn it into a light political thriller was a natural step. I can't stop sucking this runs cock.

She got to do more than Aqualad.

it's all meaningless in the end user

Can I skip Johns and just read Parker? I can't read anymore scowling bad@zz Aquaman

I'm on this train too, where I can get way more Mera?

It's what I did. I didn't really care for Johns overcompensating either.

>Two issue ones
>Can't find the second one anywhere

This still confuses me.

>scowling bad@zz
I guess if your only experience with "badasses" is the Fonz.

I dunno, I find his Atlantean stories imminently forgettable. There is always an uprising, he is always losing and regaining the throne, all among a sea of disposable characters. Even Johns couldn't deliver a memorable take.

The comic character is irredeemable. The best hope you have is for the movie version to be popular enough, different enough, that it gets incorporated into the comics as the new default setting.

The problem with Johns take on aquaman is that he was overconpensating hard and at the same time took away the focus from ecology issues, something that had taken an important role for the last 35 years and at the same time he got rid of mythology stuff. No one can say that Johns stories were bad at least with aquaman, but the guy gutted the fish. Mera is cool and all, but i don't see why giving mera the spotlight would mean getting rid of ll the atlantean mythos and Ecology issues.

Which runs do you recommend for the ecology stuff?

>he's still years away from escaping his meme tho

>no Whale Wars issue of Aquaman

Aquaman, like Daredevil is in that sweet spot of being well known, but not A-List popular to where every faggot clamors to write whatever story for him, so they usually get writers that really have solid ideas for them.

Usually.

What are your favorite aquaman books?

what are some good pre-crisis aquaman comics?