Why is he such a spineless weakling

He needs to get his ass kicked proper.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RDCZo-fmCEQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tG1DYbhU3Bo
youtube.com/watch?v=0S3aH-BNf6I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He's not really a weakling though just really against violence.

I mean have you seen the action sequences in SU? They can't animate a fight to save their life we're lucky the protagonist is a pacifist otherwise we'd have to watch more of their shitty fights.

Steven is PURE.

PURE.

Jasper one-shot him in her first appearance.

That isn't a proper ass kicking though. I want someone to break his plot-armor

Been hoping for Steven to get a rival that really pushes him to he's limits to the point he starts questioning he's own ideals. Bismuth was kinda like that, shame it lasted so short.

Because it's not your traditional coming of age boy story.

Instead of being taught to solve things through fighting(like a lot of shows with a similar concept), he doesn't like fighting and wants people to get along.

It's different.

This guy gets it

Eyeball could work, but she's pretty low-tier right now.

That's the best theory on Steven´s pacifist attitude I´ve ever heard.

>spineless
>weakling
He is neither of those. Watch the show.

>doesn't want to solve every problem with violence
>WHAT A WEAKLING

Sugar was right.

I do, and he is.
For a guy who sang a song about "Why don't you talk about what happened, I know you're trying to avoid it and I don't know why." He should practice what he preaches.

Rose might have been a protector/teacher of newborn gems. There's got to be some connection between his pacifism and her intended purpose.

no kidding

save some bait threads for after /sug/ gets sent to trash, please

Sometimes he is so childlike and naive it is out of character. I would kick his ass so he could shut the fuck up.

This isn't about fighting, this is about him not being a wuss so often its annoying when he isn't stern or angry or assertive. He gets angry at Kevin for messing with his girl, and I get that...But where does all of that go for stuff that also matters a lot. I like Steven sometimes, but I usually want someone to kick him into the dirt. I wish he had more confrontation with Jasper.

He's not really spineless or weak. He's just a stupid fucking pacifistic faggot, like his fatass mother.

This guy gets it.

see steven is a cutie

>pacifist="spineless weakling"

Stop watching so much anime.

Also way to completely miss the core theme of the whole fucking show.

Honestly I do like how his pacifism does actually get challenged repeatedly.

I mean he does it in Bismuth and he sort of wins...by poofing her but generally he get's to keep his stance.

Then Back to the moon and Bubbled, he's unable to avoid the confrontation again and is forced to put Eyeball in harms way to protect himself which leaves him very shaken.

he's 14
you weren't like that at that age?

>he's 14

And acts eight.

I don't really want violence though, I just want Steven to be far less insufferable sometimes.
Take the episode "Onion Gang" for example. I couldn't stand how out of character and annoying he was....He doesn't always act like that either. I wish he kept consistent.
He shows in a good number of episodes that he can grit his teeth and be a good character when he gets more somber and melancholic or serious.... So it just bugs me when he gets "too stupid" or "too submissive" I get that he's just like that but dial it back sometimes or else we go backwards. And it isn't like I hate fun because I love plenty of the laid back episodes too.

Steven's not a Warrior, he's a Bard.

Everything he's done has been to manipulate the individuals around him to be his underlings and like it. Garnet, Pearl, and Amethyst fell to his charms after The Test. Peridot and Lapis (two gems that could not be more unalike) are friendly roommates ONLY because he wanted it to happen. Connie, Greg, the Frymans, the Pizzas, Vidalia's family, Mayor Dewey, pretty much everyone Steven has met has bent to his will because of his charisma.

This

Reality hits hard by 10, there's hardly any kids that act like Steven past that age. Otherwise they get bullied hard. Bullies don't target the weak, they target the one's that don't fight back.

youtube.com/watch?v=RDCZo-fmCEQ

you're not in contact with actual kids that age right?
the problem is people think that its just easy to be an edgy memelord when in reality they can't even be assertive to the people around them irl

No one should act like a 4 year old at 14.

Purity is a boring ass trait for a character to have.

Because an immature kid. Hes gotten his ass kicked too. Hes pretty tough in battle, hes just kinda like a fat hippie.

Seriously steven is 14 years old. What teenager acts like he does?

He's lived an incredibly sheltered childhood with aliens who keep comparing him to his dead mother, never receiving a formal education and having very few peers his age to relate to.

Of course he's a little naive and immature.

weakling/spineless =/= not biolent

Steven's just a little faggot who doesn't understand that not every problem can be solved with just talking about it, just like not every problem can be solved with violence.

You'd think he'd be moody and eager to know what was going on and wouldn't joke around so much then, no?

lol This wasn't about me wanting violence, sorry if it came out that way.

>he thinks there's a difference

>teenagers are all the same
>Cred Forums is a hivemind

He also wanted to heal Jasper even after all that happened, only to be rebuked and called a manipulator.

I'd argue he didn't "win" at all against Bismuth, because he had to bubble her for wanting to cross a line all over again. History repeated itself; it's why he still feels terrible about what he did.

It's even worse for comng right after Bismuth's "you don't have to be Rose" pep talk; for a moment, even she thought things could be different this time around.

>tfw your girly lesbian space rocks show is more hardass than The Last Airbender.

Bismuth is my favorite episode, I have no issues there, I just wish she didn't get bubbled and done away with so easily. I would've liked to see her and the Crystal Gems talk about that whole deal.

Right about what?

I dunno, why are YOU such a spineless weakling?
To Steven, war is still an abstract thing.
Something to be feared, but otherwise he has no grasp of the severity of war. It would be silly to expect Steven to be some kind of hardened warrior or whatever.

As far as his current situation is concerned, Steven is doing quite well to adapt while maintaining his positivity. Only problem is how he handles interaction with humans.

Steven reminds me a bit like Bilbo.
From the book, I mean. Not the films.

I agree, it's frustrating that they don't bring her back sooner. For all the shit Steven gets in threads like this for not wanting to fight, just getting someone to talk with her and give her a proper update on all the shit that's happened in the last ~5500 years (hell, the first few seasons alone) could probably have changed her mind about things.

Oh well. She's neither corrupted nor a shattered zombie, so she's got the best chance at a proper return.

Read my other overly drawn out replies to other anons.
I'm not looking for a violent Steven.

I have no doubt she's going to return. I just hope that its going to be sooner rather than later.
I'm glad you can see where I'm coming from though.

Ah yeah. Steven can be really annoying, even inconsistent, especially during the Onion Gang episode.
In that case all I can say is that the variety of people handling the plot is to blame.

I hope it never happens because that means the show gets more episodes. It just needs to be cancelled. All it does is breed cancer.

>hardship makes you stronger!
what a terrible leap of logic
the reason you see people who are strong and have been through hardship is that hardship happens, and the strong survive it by being strong. you don't see weak people who've been through hardship because they don't fucking survive it, y'cunt. the responsible thing for a weakling to do is avoid that hard shit that you'll only need rescuing from anyway
we can't all be hard. some of us have to be hotdogs

Read through the thread.

>hardship makes you stronger!
>what a terrible leap of logic
Calm seas make weak sailors, sport.
Can't get good at handling rough seas if you never experience them.

Did you have your ass kicked today by mommy?

Hes homeschooled. If you look past the gems and space aliens setting, you realize Steven lives a very sheltered life.

>just really against violence
Uh, no? He's against brutality against a defeated or weaker opponent, and doesn't like killing. He's not against fighting.

>Spineless weakling

>Has been shown to have at minimum well over the strength of two fully grown adults

it seems like when people say "pacifism" they mean "doesn't kill people". same thing with undertale, no kill is called pacifist even though you can still fight.

The real problem lies in the fact he eats low quality food most of time. Hope that his Gem ascendant gives him some immunity to diabetes

>loves music, plays guitar
>hates violence
>has a weird relationship with his mom

Omigod... I just realized who Steven is. He's Sufjan Stevens

People like you turn out to be the villain
What you have posted is the kind of thing a villain would say about his nemisis
Do you also hate flowers and puppies, dark Lord?

I'm from Michigan
This album makes me cry so much

He's against more violence than is necessary, preferring no violence at all if it can be helped.

He kinda likes sparring, though.
And he hasn't dawdled when faced with attacks.
He just believes in the best in everyone so he doesn't want to fight them and feels terrible about it if he has to.
Because he just wants to help them.

youper or troll?

Nope.
Though flowers do get the ol' allergies goin' come the springtime.

>He gets angry at Kevin for messing with his girl
Dude no. Stevonnie is Cannon not one gender.
Do you seriously think that the SU team would write an episode about a guy defending the meek helpless girl he likes.
When talking about what Kevin did to Stevonie, Steven says 'Us' not 'Connie' or 'Me'
The only character Steven gets properly angry at is Kevin. He's the only one he says he hates.
Steven hates Kevin because Kevin is a jerk. Steven's such a nice person that the thing that makes him really upset is when someone is hurting someone else's feelings without reason.

The diamonds represent your point of view. Steven is the opposite.
>believe in Steven
That's the whole point of the show. Steven showing home world a better way than domination through power.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Sorry for my wording.
But then why does he not hate Lars.
I know Lars is a "troubled kid" and that whole dynamic but he was only really even semi "angry" at Lars once.
I honestly just want to see more pic related and less of "Onion Gang" Steven.

This scene was great.

I'm kind of getting what youre saying now that you brought that up. I've similarly wondered why, say, Spongebob or Phineas would almost never stick up for themselves when Squidward or Candace are being a dicks.

It'd be nice to see Steven call Lars out on his shit like this again.

It's ok if it's self-defense.

I'm not exactly sure why people here have a problem with this, except maybe Finn the Human taught people to expect a more head-on violent approach to problems from kid protagonists? But Steven's not like Finn. He's more like Aang from AtLA. Except he's not even really as extreme about it as Aang was.

Steven threw a minfridge into a monster's head in the first episode, and he didn't know it would come back, only that it was dangerous to his friends.
Steven advocated that they "have to fight" Jasper and Peridot because they were "mean" and they were hurting his friends, when Lapis said that they should just lay low.
Steven refused to shatter Bismuth, but he still acted in self defense when she tried to kill him
Steven shot the Rubies out of an airlock when they seemed like a danger to the Crystal Gems.

Steven does not shrink away from protecting himself and the people he cares about from forces that are trying to do them harm. The fact that he believes in redemption doesn't preclude that.

My main issue is the fact that he acts "too stupid" sometimes and it gets irritating for what a lot of this show is. I know its a cartoon with a bright happy cast, and that Steven is a kid for the most part, and there are episodes about goofing off where the kind of behavior is more abundant.....But it still feels really out of character and inconsistent in some situations, that's all. Its just frustrating to me sometimes because I feel it un-does character development sometimes.

He kind of pities Lars, doesn't he.

There's been times when he's clearly sick of his shit though, like the fire doughnut episode, where he was all excited about having Lars get fired.

Like, to continue on what I'm talking about, remember that scene in "Joy Ride" where Steven "real talks" in the car ride? After heavy hitters like that I just wish the show wouldn't seem like it forgets moments like that happened so often, y'know? And it isn't like it happens all-the-time or anything, but I wish we'd see more of that Steven come out in situations.
His thing is that he wears a smile on his face and hurts on the inside and I get that, but I think its hidden a little too well to the point where it hurts his characters sometimes imo.
Even an extra show of a melancholic/stressed out face or something. I dunno. youtube.com/watch?v=tG1DYbhU3Bo

Troll by birth
But i lived in Marquette for ten years

How many fights have you been in?

Maybe 3?
We were young. It was camp. Nothing too serious.

Nothing about what you said makes sense.

>I do
As in I do watch the show.
>He is
As in, he's a bit "spineless" sometimes.
The point afterward was just me saying that he's glazed over a few problems really quickly when a more in-depth conversation would've probably resolved the issue or made the plot more satisfying afterward, despite telling Greg and Pearl to talk about their issues. He himself should do that a little more sometimes. That's all.

Him acting eight is literally canon. Since his age is based off his mental state, and he hasn't grown since eight, I'm just gonna assume he's like an eight year old but with six years more experience.

>The point afterward was just me saying that he's glazed over a few problems really quickly when a more in-depth conversation would've probably resolved the issue or made the plot more satisfying afterward, despite telling Greg and Pearl to talk about their issues. He himself should do that a little more sometimes. That's all.
And how the hell is that relevant to your original unsupported claim, OP?

How the fuck did Rose know what an 8 year old human acts like enough to program her gem like that?

... Or maybe she didn't and that's why Steven is stuck at the age of 8 until he looses his virginity or something.

>Marquette
No shit.
My dad used to love that place and I've been up there by sugarloaf.

Great place. Love it.

This is honestly just the point I was trying to make. You can see it in a lot of my responses.

>faux anime show about intergalactic alien colonialism
>nearly every fucking episode is about shitty slice-of-life garbage with sparse and godawful action

God this show is garbage. Even the arguments about it are fucking autistic.

>daily reminder that he sent a bunch of rubys to float in space for the whole eternity
death would be better but you know, violence is a no no.

Stop.

Nobody at 14 was a functioning man and if you think you were, you were an edgelord manchild and still are.

My theory is that he's just gonna grow alongside Connie, because he just feels like he should. Then he's just gonna keep healing himself and her. They both live forever until the heat death of the Universe. The end.

I honestly wouldn't mind the slice-of-life garbage if it was at least interesting. I don't fucking want to watch fifteen fucking episodes about Lars being a piece of shit that learns nothing.

I love senseless violence as much as anyone else

but why do you people hate pacifism and consciencious objecting so much? not every character can be a reckless, aggro, fight for the sake of fighting guy

You should read the thread.

>Lars being a piece of shit that learns nothing.

Oh boy, don't remind me. Why does he even exist again?

>Making an SU thread outside of their general
What, you thought that you'd get opinions that deviated from theirs by posting a separate thread about it? It don't work that way, they keep tabs on the catalog at all times so they can pounce on every and any non-/sug/ Steven Universe thread.

From 6-14 he never got to experience any man in his life to help give him some, dare I say, masculine characteristics.
Greg's a pretty cool guy and dad, but he's kind of a pussy if you think about it, and doesn't have much contact with his own son in the years where being taught how to be a man is the most valuable.

After his early childhood he was raised solely by three women.
When he fuses with connie there's a reason he becomes more feminine then masculine.
Steven is feminine, maybe a bit too feminine.

Is this a bad thing? Who knows. Societies changing. Welcome to 2016. just my 2 cents.

He's not a weakling at all. Just an annoying fuck up that refuses to face reality.

Huh?

I saw one episode where there were two of the gems, I don't which ones their names, arguing for what seemed like legitimate, serious reasons and the conflict was resolved not by settling the matter but by Steven bawling his eyes out and going "STOP FIGHTING, PLEASE GET ALONG WITH EACH OTHER!"
That is some real fucking pussy shit right there, a kid doing that in real life would just get his ass whooped for being such a wimp.It was also a big copout for the episode's climax, at least with that gay crossdressing episode he at least helped the midget and mom see eye to eye rather than throw a pissfit.

>Rose Quartz was a pacifist

The Fuck? You do know she led a very violent war that resulted in many people dying by her hand right?

Did I just fall for bait?

I see SOMEbody hasn't watched Mindful Education yet.
I think I'll have to start posting the .jiffs in order to "educate" you naysayers...

Takafumi Hori is the one who guest animated for this episode, and he is not a part of the main animation team.

>not wanting to float in space for eternity
Fucking normies.

Even the non-violent action sequences in Steven Universe are wonderfully animated!

Yes, we all know that Studio TRIGGER was brought on-board to assist in animating Mindful Education.
That doesn't mean that Steven Universe is any less awesome than it is, in fact it's even better knowing that an actual Japanese animation studio received the honor of being able to work on it at all.
Honestly I don't understand what you're trying to do to me with that reply...

They can bubble themselves.

Being violent at one point does not mean you can never be a pacifist, you fucking dumbass.

>an actual Japanese animation studio received the honor of being able to work on it at all.

I agree with you.
I was just just replying to reply, no spite intended.

Didn't that angry Cheeto Puff give him a concussion? And then he beat her into submission? Twice?

It isn't though.

She remained violent the whole time. She was still leading the gems on missions to fight corrupt gems dipshit. Try to keep up.

Now that I think about it you're probably just another one of the trolls running around Cred Forums trying to defame Steven Universe as a progressive artform since it's the most popular children's cartoon this generation.
These .jiffs aren't for you in that case, but for my fellow SU fans that need my help in order to properly defend the series using clear evidence that disproves any and all doubters.

Japanese animation is so stagnant and generic, it's awful that they haven't made any progress in the medium for three decades now.
Now that Studio TRIGGER has been able to learn the ins and outs of the greatest western animation on-air as of now they should be able to evolve their techniques and refine them in order to create a series that could one day stand on the same footing as Steven Universe.
However, they are far too behind to achieve that any time soon.
Maybe one day Studio TRIGGER will beg Rebecca Sugar and the rest of the SUCrew to collaborate for a second time in order to learn some new tricks again...

>Now that Studio TRIGGER has been able to learn the ins and outs of the greatest western animation on-air as of now they should be able to evolve their techniques and refine them in order to create a series that could one day stand on the same footing as Steven Universe.

I just barely noticed you're trip code, No wonder why you're acting like a giant faggot.

Other times he serves as the voice of reason that somehow knows exactly the right solution to a problem when everybody else is either floundering over it or are too busy getting sidetracked into tiffs with each other for petty reasons.

he'd kick your ass.

>mfw onion's gang was probably the single worst most pointless filler episode of the show

Was it the episode with the fat purple gem v big booty gem fighting in the ring?
> two loli gems getting pissy at a restaurant
> or the lanklet gem who sucker punched the green gem?
Because Steven was definitely being a fucking faggot with the two lolis fighting.

>I've similarly wondered why, say, Spongebob or Phineas would almost never stick up for themselves when Squidward or Candace are being a dicks.
They simply don't give a shit and proceed normally. Also it helps that they are completely oblivious to how much Squidward/Candace want to clobber them and they take it as a big ol' friendly joke.

Oh god yes it was the one where the two midget gems fucked up a motel and a restaurant with their arguing. I was already not liking how it was one of those lazy talking episodes where nothing significant actually happens, and that """""""resolution""""""" only solidified how shit it turned out. And that was one of the episodes that my friend used to introduced me to the series today after I wanted to be at least informed of it. Like those two seemed to be going through a very big and very personal conflict that needed an actual solution, and it was solved by a fat kid crying and whining about it without actually proposing any way to deal with the problem.
Is Steven always a little bitch like that in the series? I ain't gonna pay anymore attention to the series on my own regardless because holy shit the animation quality goes to shit a lot, and my friend can jack off to this shit by himself from now on.

Surprisingly, no he isn't all the time which is why it makes me so angry when he pulls stupid nonsense like that.

>even pretending to pretend

Welcome to Cred Forums

Sadie's Song> Onion's gang> Future boy Zoltron

in filler terms

Get Gordon Freeman on it.

Eventually, Ruby stopped thinking.

Programmed her gem?
At least don't make stuff up

That view
You can see the Superior Dome
That place is a fairy city
I miss it a lot
Living in Flint now
Maybe two of the most heart wrenching songs on that album

I can't stand it when people call episodes in any show filler
Can you imagine the show without these episodes? It wouldn't be the same at all and things would seem so thin and rushed

I love how people all circle jerk to Gendy T. And then hate on this shows animation.
Fucking hilarious

Uh. what do those things have to do with each other?

Seriously?

He only worked on the pilot bruh.

You are missing my point entirely.
Do you think Gendy somehow has a superior style? Or maybe you think John K is some how different/better.

He defeated Bimuth and had even battle with Amethyst, how is he a weakling?

>Super strength
>Almost impenetrable shield
>Very durable bubble (that can spike up)
>Inhanced speed despite being a little overweight
>Floating abilities
>Healing spit
>Mind control ability
>The ability to change his age through shapeshifting (once mastered and he could turn into an adult at will) also likely immortal
>14 years old and is already on Par with Amethyst
>Defeated Bismuth
>His fusions with Amethyst and Connie were able to kick Jaspers ass twice
He's OP wtf are you talking about?

>popular art style (for self-insertion in fanart)
>most progressive children's cartoon this generation

FTFY

Gems are machines.

No they aren't, Headcanon McMakeitup

What's your favorite cartoon?

Because everyone he knows is either a lesbian terrorist or middle aged wash up or both.

I don't understand
Compassion is weak?

>Can you imagine the show without these episodes?
I get it. Having a bunch of shit episodes makes the other ones seem better than they actually are.

It sounds like you don't even like the show.
You maybe don't understand pacing in story telling

This person supports Garfield for president

He has to deal with an army of space rocks with only a few gems to help him. It doesn't help that he has the title of "Rose Quartz" and when homeworld starts to send more forces to earth, which is unlikely because Muh plot armor and the creators dont understand how war works, its going to bite steven in the ass and he is going to go through shock just like with bismuth and the first encounter with centipede.
The kid doesn't have to fight all the time, he just needs to know when and how to fight, which he doesn't.

Handcockfags get

Talking about plot armor is so cringey

You are a machine. Your DNA is programming. Where did you hear otherwise?

WOW
I fucking knew that's what you would say.
Try thinking a little more abstractly about life forms.
Are you also a straight up atheist?

The last episode showed that he is less emotionally mature than a bunch of toddlers

Is that what that meant?
How old are you?

>Steven
>spineless weak

I think he means his strength of character
Which is also bullshit
Pessimists confusing optimism for weakness

>pessimists
I think you mean edgelords. I'm pretty sure the OP thinks not breaking someone's face in or outright murder makes one faggot.

>Try thinking a little more abstractly about life forms.
wat

Are you a straight up dualist.

It is, that's why anime gets cringey at times. I hate it more when modern western media has to use it too, but it is a cartoon for kids so I just don't watch the show for steven anymore.

Yes
I'm saying this attitude is one of pessimistic roots

Paradox is the ultimate logic

We should be able to leave plot armor out of discussions without resorting to headcanons

What's wrong with Genndy's style?

youtube.com/watch?v=0S3aH-BNf6I

Nothing
My point is that they are just very similarly cartoony styles
I don't know what people are always bitching about

Yeah, don't listen to Disney characters for this kind of stuff.

A very one sided, pessimistic view of the facts
Always remember paradox

The root of edgelords is that they want attention so they adopt a moral contrarianism.

Needing to be in constant opposition for self validation would definitely still count as pessimism i would think
As apposed to a curious, open, and forgiving mind