Hey there comic fans, What's your thoughts on how to make a convincing film joker?

Hey there comic fans, What's your thoughts on how to make a convincing film joker?

A cheesey sense of humor like Burton version or 66 version,
That can easily turn it on a dime to threatening when needed.

He might have been convincing if he was in the movie for more than 10 minutes.

And if it wasn't cut stupidly.

very defined cheek bones, very bony face in general with as little fat as possible. red lip paint that goes to his dimples. darkened eyes. dark, angular eyebrows. hair his slicked back but kinda messy. talks in a sing-song voice. very vibrant body language, but with a sort of irl 'bend and snap', just it takes a moment for his muscles to respond to his commands due to nerve damage. Actor must be well versed in physical comedy. might also be worth giving him tap shoes to give him more presence when he walks. fitted suit. oh and larger than normal teeth. use prosthetics if you have to. his teeth should be flawlessly white.

Two questions, 1 being, can you define a sing song voice? I'm not particularly familliar with the expression.

2 being, doesn't the joker often have yellow teeth? I do agree that the whiter teeth look better, but I just thought of the older and the animated versions.

One of Joker's defining character traits is that he is "supersane" and that justifies him randomly switching personalities or style.
There's no set way the Joker has to act on film. Nicholson and Ledger were completely different, but both of their performances were good. It doesn't matter on accuracy to source material (like most adaptations) but on what the actor or director decide.
The reason Leto Joker failed is because it was a terrible performance in general. His voice would constantly switch from what I assume Leto thought was a "menacing" monotone voice, to a nasally, annoying voice. Whenever he isn't saying some stupid line, he's breathing heavily while staring blanky. And when you look at his actions, you realize he had no reason to be in the movie and only exists to make sure his waifu doesn't die.

why cant they just make a live action copy of the good animated films

Because that's a waste of creativity

Because animated ones don't translate to film. Just like the black spiderman suit doesn't translate to film, or how marvel's spandex doesn't translate.

It all has to be toned to a more real world thing. No one's going to believe there's a man dressed in blue and grey spandex fighting crime with a little boy with flesh spandex and a green cape... So they tone it down, and make it more realistic. That's why.

>can you define a sing song voice
he speaks with melody and tempo as though he's delivering dialogue in a musical? it's kinda hard to define over text rather than talking.
> I just thought of the older and the animated versions.
most of the time in older comics if his teeth are yellow it's because the paper itself was yellowing. In the cartoon, his teeth were pretty much always the same color as his eyes. in some shots both were yellow, in other shots both were white.

That shit he did with the hand tattoo made me cringe everything. The way to do the joker is drop the whole hot topic motif. Like seriously, the joker changed outfits about 4 times and he was in it for 6 minutes.

Also get rid of this brooding insanity shit. It worked once.

Tl;dr drop the edgy shit. I don't mean go full 66 with it, I feel like the arkham series strikes a good balance between edgy and corny. So just do that.

I'll keep that in mind.

The voice that I had in mind was more dark and such, I never pictured the hammil voice, and even that doesn't fit the sing song quality.

I'll test that out(Since I'm going to be playing joker in a project)

I actually liked the hand thing, the laugh was what got me off of it. I couldn't take the laugh seriously at all. But the hand thing was cool, though I thought the smile was on backwards.

#gender

Gender?

jim carrey with a dab of dark humor

Yeah, the laugh was fucking awful too

The key I think to a good Joker in film is being unpredictable, and having a consistent motivation. What this most recent attempt failed to capture was that unpredictable doesn't necessarily mean does super evil stuff for no reason. If every time Joker is on screen he's just going to kill someone it removes some tension. It should also be okay for the audience to laugh at the Joker, or at least try to have him joke. '60s Joker captured the joking and cheesy classic Joker, Burton's captured the mobster, Nolan captured the anarchist, but I'd love to see an attempt to capture all three aspects. The key I think is for the audience to feel uncomfortable whenever Joker is on screen.
As far as motivation, Joker's should be tied directly to Batman in some way. Either trying to force him to kill, or to laugh, anything that compromises Batman as an idea. Joker should be trying to break the Batman ideal, try to move the unmoveable or whatever metaphor you'd like.
One last thing that could be cool is if Joker had an elaborate setup or trap ready to deploy, and then he just sabatoges it himself, like maybe Batman is about to sacrifice himself to stop whatever, and Joker stops it short, to keep the game going. But that's just an idea.

At least he isn't Mary sue ledger

>I use buzzwords without understanding what they mean.

I think what he means is he was like the evil version of a mary sue.

A Mary Sue is a character with little development, who generally only does good, I think the person there was saying that Heath Ledger's joker had little development(Can't lie, he didn't have much) and he only was 'evil' there wasn't a hint of good in him.

At the bare minimum he needs to be having fun