Why dose this exist? Was he just an egdy autist or a psycopath(talking about the creator)

Why dose this exist? Was he just an egdy autist or a psycopath(talking about the creator)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/johnny_c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you don't listen to the Cure, so you wouldn't understand.

Because he provided material for a small subset of a generation of kids who had nothing special about them to rely on shock value to garner attention. It's utterly without substance or point, but the overly stark and jagged message and artstyle attracted those who were afraid that if they liked what was popular then they weren't edgy, interesting free thinkers. To that particular group, "Different" was more important than "Meaningful" and even though it gained them a temporary clique to call home among the thousands of other ironically identical nonconformists, it robbbed them of the potential to look back on their youth with fondness and grow as people because it was more important to condemn the status quo than develop interests that could aid them in the real world, where no one cares how interesting you look or how well you can shriek the DOOM song.

My 2 cents, anywho

>all those egdy goths
Really makes you think, like, where are they now? Did they ever grow up? Good assesment by the way, I think discribed the avarage followers of the comic with great accracy

He was mostly having a laugh and getting out some post-teen angst and aggression.
eventually he started using his crude yet acerbic lens on the same kind of people who read JTHM, and most of that was more amusing and original than the first few stumbling comics.
It's kind of neat, it's one of those series where you can see a lot of growth in the creator.
It's very edgy and appeals to the shitty lizard brain, but it's okay to enjoy base humor/schadenfreude every once in a while.
Vasquez was just a bit spergy- certainly not psychopathic, and he could really shine when he was borrowing from his cinematographic inspirations.

I liked it as a teen, and sometimes I'll paw through the book for nostalgia's sake.

>To that particular group, "Different" was more important than "Meaningful" and even though it gained them a temporary clique to call home among the thousands of other ironically identical nonconformists
Vasquez literally made the exact same observation about goths.

The creator of the comic at least went on to bigger things

Aside for working on other comics basically until now, he also created Invader ZIM, worked on Randy Cunningham, and apparently is also working on a new upcoming Disney show

As for the fans, I know some that turned out perfectly fine.
They just needed to get it out of their system, and this series helped them with it

Well fuck me, an user actually made a well-thought out and poignant analysis of Jhonen Vasquez fans...

I was trying to be different as a kid but still definitely look back at those years with great fondness even if they were painful as fuck.

It's just a phase user.
Just because you where in a clique in your childhood years don't mean you never change or adapt.

We all reacted and went through childhood, puberty and adolescences differently. Even if I was never one of those goths clique's I still have some memories of enduring my own melodrama and cringiness growing up and I'm sure everyone here has too in different extents.

>just having a laugh
>drawing out detailed comics that contain a demented story of a man who kills for twisted reasons, then works to have it published
That's alot of effort to put into something so twisted, he had so much time to have second thoughts, but went through with it anyways. It's one thing to enjoy that kind of shock/dark humor on the side, it's another thing to be so dedicated that you release a multiple comics surrounding the topic, I would think.

well, in the end, it paid-off

I hung out with a bunch of goths- I was too poor and my parents were too strict for me to be a goth, but I liked them well enough. I've kept in touch with just a few.

One still looks like the lovechild of Divine and the Penguin, eeven though he'll be in his thirties soon, he's studying to become a journalist and seems to be heavily influenced by VICE and gonzo journalism.
One stopped wearing the clothing and makeup but still keeps an impressive record collection, last I heard he was moving with his boyfriend to Alaska- one of them got work on an oil rig.
One got raped, she kind of went nuts and did multiple crazy woman things- became a stripper, joined the army, had a baby out of wedlock. It's a shame because she was truly brilliant.
One got in a car crash, and as his pain pill dependence and brain damage worsen he's switched from Ann Rice to those documentaries about aliens.

The guy who lent me my first JTHM comic when I was thirteen is just as fat as ever, but has become an incredibly kind and generous young man, it's like all that anger tempered him in a way- sometimes we'll see each other at functions and play tabletop games or rpgs.

They grew up, mellowed out, got jobs and maybe had kids. I wasn't a goth in high school but I liked JTHM and Vasquez's other works for basically the reasons that outlined so well. It's just what happens during adolescence and at a certain point you just grow out of it.

I would really like to find out how Vasquez felt when Hot Topic stopped pushing Invader Zim merch so heavily.

huh, never gave it much thought, I also have a few cringe moment's that would make /r9k/ blush.

I always connected to the garbage because I was an agoraphobic- I definitely think that's part of where he's coming from. Constant anxiety really lends itself to fantasies of mass murder.
The protagonist of the series is presented as a real piece of shit, there's no allusions about Johnny not being an asshole- so Vasquez is kind of taking that shitty asshole who's inside a lot of us neurotics and making fun of him, and having fun with him.

As someone who was in the target demographic when this comic came out (6th or 7th grade) and absolutely adored it, let me tell you, this user's spot on.

I guess all I can add is that pre-ubiquitous internet days, there was such a fierce stranglehold on content that seeing crude black and white drawings of some "CrAzEe" guy murdering "NORMIES" was genuinely shocking and subversive, even as late as '97 or whatever. Milk and Cheese benefited from the same conditions, though they were a bit more self aware/clever and hold up better.

Tl;dr, it was a time and place thing, let's all put it behind us.

Probably relieved, since he picked it back up in comic form after so many years of spite towards it's fans

I unironically enjoy Johnny, not as parody or whatever. It's a nice cute biblical God vs Devil story. It was really never extreme in anything but the Goth aesthetic, either. It wasn't even particularly 'edgy', really, which seems to be its major reputation. Johnny was never presented as anything but a Villain Protagonist, and it handled at least some of the particulars of his being mentally ill with relative aplomb (relative to any other mainstream comic writing of the same cliches). People talk about seeing the authors growth over the course, but reading it all as one story I never saw it as anything but a well-constructed narrative unfolding.

Would never had suspected them to grow our of phase with grace, I guess they were like any other social group

I can definitey sense a growing contempt for Johnny as the story goes on, if this was intentional rather than a change in the perspective of the author what was this meant to convey?

That's what I figured. Invader Zim was the first time I remember seeing a genuinely entertaining piece of entertainment suffer that badly because of its fanbase. LOL RANDOM XD jokes aside, it did some genuinely interesting things in terms of writing and comedic timing. I'm glad that the comic was able to come out and still be funny.

Holy shit, he started a comic about invader zim? Did he make it darker then it already was(inb4 someone claims it wasn't dark, and a reminder Zim once stole everyone organs)

You have to be 18 to post here

The arts great, and the humor is immature but funny in a violent sort of way. Its like a gore film as a comic book. Calm down mr critic.

The newest issue get storytimed every month, so expect one today or in a few days.

it's better polished than the cartoon, I think. Gaz is less edgy.
Keeps the same goofy tone.

its self satire

its a goth kid, making fun of goth kids and how goth culture was at the time. There are several layers of parody in there, and it gets even more extream in the I feel SICK comics.

problem is goth culture isnt like it was in the 90's so JTHM got dated real bad. Also invader zim drove a stupid 2nd wave that didnt grow up or were exposed to the scene when it was still big. If you dont get it, you werent there at the time.

People back when this came out felt a lot more repressed
There weren't as many outlets nearly as now to just let your feelings out
I was so so angry
There weren't really edgelords then in the way there are now

These

bump

But whats funny is the comic ultimately mocks that crowd. Remember Johnny's dying speech?

18 year old here. Will reading this comic cure my anger issues like said? Ennis punisher has gotten tame to me

The narcissim and egotism of goth culture?

Vasquez hates everyone though, especially people who actually like his stuff.

He hates the crowd that obsesses creepily over Johnny and Zim, and he's not wrong. Vasquez admitted in one of his other books that, in retrospect, JTHM was way too preachy.

>Vasquez hates everyone though
That's just a meme.
>especially people who actually like his stuff.
That's also a meme. He points it out in Filler Bunny.

I liked JTHM, but I never quite understood the ending. It feels like the story just stopped. Is Nny immortal? What's he doing with the rest of his life?

I have both books and Squee is more fun in my opinion.

I think it was more that everything he could do with the character was spent. It doesn't really matter what happens to him. At least that's what I gathered from I feel sick, continuing the themes and world without Nny

no

God you sound so lame. Maybe spend some time off of 4chins and stop blaming your parents for your problems and you'll be ok

Good comment,but your mention of Doom really makes me wanna play it now.

My college roommate had the entire volume, and let me read all of it to procrastinate during finals. I read the whole thing in one sitting.

As far as I can tell/remember, the whole thing's like a critique of goth/emo/hot topic culture. Johnny is a sort of tragic figure who is completely wrapped up in his own bitterness and is unable to see past his own issues. He was once an artist of some competence, but whatever talent he had degenerated as he got more and more edgy and avant-garde. His killings are heavily laden with a sort of emotive and expressive impulse. They are basically what his artistic drives lead to when he's got nothing to communicate but sad, desperate disdain for others. This is presented along with exaggerated nihilistic "philosophical" tangents that said goth/emo/hot topic kids think are deep or important. This connects his killings to his emotional and creative drive. He also literally is a repository for the spiritual equivalent of the entire world's raw sewage, and the answer to his problems is leaving his misguided passion behind and trying to rely only on cold logic.

Johnny is a grotesque parody of his own audience.

I remember when I was an edgy teenager, I don't know but those were happy days.

>There weren't really edgelords then in the way there are now
Uh...what? There were more if anything since it was when "goth" made a comeback

There was a bigger trend of edgelord shit around the time it was first made.

Is it possible to be goth now, it looks fun as hell. I'm 26 and in middle management.

im already depressed about something else go away

Eh, that analysis doesn't resonate with my experience of it. A kid can just genuinely enjoy dark themes in a comic without it being some "I'm so different and that makes me better" thing. The story did end up pretty pointless, and it's been a while since I read it so it's hard to comment on the substance of it (which at 12 I thought was, if not quite deep, at least engaging), but I don't think it was totally without artistic merit.

I really enjoyed the Twitter Vasquez ran... actually, still runs for him.
twitter.com/johnny_c
>As I cut her throat I said “You didn’t make the cut”, but I don’t think she got it before dying, and that’s for the best because awful.

I actually liked I feel sick but basically no one bothers to read it.

Anyone can dress in black and listen to ancient music but most of the fun seemed to come from having a goth posse to justify being a weirdo in public.

Nah; it was a very specific time and place. It's like trying to be a biker or a rave kid out of the blue.

You missed out on laying naked with a pale skinned, pitch black haired cutie in the glow of an old Vincent Price movie, thumbing through a collection of old penny dreadful reprints after having "at least we won't care if it kills us" sex that had been boiling over since she leaned into you earlier during the concert an moaned "die with me" in your ear.

It really felt like Vasquez genuinely just enjoyed writing I Feel Sick and Squee more

I don't get how people say Vasquez grew up and got over his first work. It's all thematically the same and his most popular work Invader Zim is an just extension of his first comics.

It's the difference between exploding heads and a meta joke about exploding heads.

Johnny started as a revenge fantasy and he wrote it as he states "haphazardly" he often said he wished he'd planned it out before he started it. It's honestly not that deep.

>I liked JTHM, but I never quite understood the ending. It feels like the story just stopped. Is Nny immortal? What's he doing with the rest of his life?

He left his home and is trying new things, specifically different ways to murder people, but trying to murder less.

then again, it was never meant to be a serious story and should not be taken as such

>this thread
Cred Forums doesn't understand satire. They're so stupid, you have to explain that it's not meant to be taken seriously, but even that is not enough idiot proof.

This life is too good

I think it's just an aesthetic, I would be called a fucking /tumblr/ sentimental faggot before I would be called edgy but I still think that stuff looks pretty cool. Just going for evoking different feelings that normal shit I think.
>It's just a phase user.
Do you actually know this from experience, I only know like one goth and last I saw him he was still a goth.

I guess I will just have to take pride in being more miserable and alone then they ever wished they could be.

I knew a teenage goth girl once. She was in foster care with my family. She idolised Heath Ledger and died like him.

No one misses her.

No, we understand satire...you're just one of the idiotic goths who doesn't understand the "satire" in JTHM doesn't work and is hypocritical...the same way he thought he was so clever for criticizing the goth scene for being a bunch of followers masquerading as snowflakes, but didn't realize he was the EXACT THING HE WAS CRITICIZING....he is a goth who thinks he's a snowflake but is no different than any other goth, rendering any "satire" pointless because he's a fucking jackass

By "him" I mean Vasquez

>no u
Great rebuttal.

I had the exact same reaction.

Not really. It is as dark as the cartoon was, but he didn't push to the level of edginess that was present in his first comics.

Reminds me of one of my older cousins. Used to mock him for being an elder goth from the 80s, but was jealous of how deeply he was able to click with his former girlfriends. All goth sex was basically deeply erotic or deeply comforting in a nihilistic way.

the scene is alive and kicking in Germany for some reason.
too bad most of them are REALLY ugly/obese

You know this comic never captured my attention because I could never route for johny like dan from dan vs

>Can't think up anything to say

Great comeback

There's always the Corporate Goth thing going on. Less of a dramatic change for you I would think. Although I think this is more /fa/ territory.

>let his own foster sister die like a dog in some drug den
>laughs about it
Jesus Christ.

That's usually when it's time for a specific scene to call it a day, when the obese special snowflakes roll in.

>he is a goth who thinks he's a snowflake but is no different than any other goth
I thought that was the point in JTHM.

All this talk of DOOM is making me want to play the other kind of DOOM.

>No, Jhonen. You are the goths

The comic definitely has its cake and eats it too, but I feel like it redeemed itself pretty well in the last two issues. The edgy, rebellious nature of Johnny is torn down and he's even given a chance to walk into the sunset for reflection and change at the end.

It ended on a pretty good message, actually. The world is a shitty, ignorant, depressing place, but you can't use that as an excuse to be an asshole yourself. We're all responsible for our own reactions and our lives. That's a very anti-goth message, which normally feasts on navel-gazing and victimhood.

while I agree with everything else you say
>he's even given a chance to walk into the sunset for reflection and change at the end.
worth mentioning that Johnny chooses not to change for the better. he just gives up and shuts off all his emotions, and is treated by the narrative as having chosen the cowards way out. a bittersweet 'don't be like this guy' end ala cuckoo''s nest

It's kind of his fault tho
He brought it on himself

Zim is the best thing Jhonen did because he couldn't rely on gore as a joke. Johnny has some good stuff in it, but it gets overshadowed by a lot of the bad. Squee is better.

He's not complaining. He's taunting the fans. He is not fond of the zim fanbase. He is not fond of most fan bases. The majority of JTHM is mocking the kind of people who would read JTHM

Everyone's going on about his mains, but anyone here read jelly fist?

I personally liked it but I don't know how many people feel about it.

It's been a while since I read it, but I don't remember that at all. It ended with him on a hill looking at the stars, with saying it's ok to be lost for a bit as long as you have a plan to stop being lost.

He's trying to figure out how to be happy and not such a spastic NEET. I do agree with you that a big message in the last issue was "This person is not a hero or a cool guy. Don't be him."

>that
>/fa/
puked in my mouth a lil lad
/fa/ does goth, but it isn't """"corporate goth""", whatever that is
/fa/ does goth ninja baby

more like it's where Araki gets his ideas for new stands and stand-users

Zim spit into promordial ooze, made some kind of clone doing so, then the other ooze things called it a heretic and brutally murdered it

ahacki probably gets his ideas from yohji

>Goth
Definitely not, but thanks for playing.

Then I must go find my old roommate and demand my time back.

>puked in my mouth a lil lad
I have completed my mission.

Dumb, gay, and ignorant.

Squee sucks. I Feel Sick is his best work.

I thought it was awesome. It was pretty funny

And the larger plot was pretty interesting Lovecraft Ian stuff.

So you grew out of it? Ok, don't need to insult everything you used to like

Zim almost implys to have killed people several times in the comic.

>The comic definitely has its cake and eats it too
I'm sorry, but I don't get this. I haven't read most of the comic, but are just saying it's hypocritical to criticize edgy people while making something as edgy as a revenge fantasy comic?
If so, isn't that like saying you're not allowed to disprove of rape if you write a rape porno?
Is it hypocritical for some other reason? Am I missing some nuance?

E D G Y

Seriously though if this is true you're a piece of shit.