OTGW

It's out. Over the Garden Wall Vinyl thread.

mondotees.com/products/over-the-garden-wall-original-soundtrack-lp

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!RAFlnDRI!ZE7yMFIsMZdovhaVGeEbbbQ4rGssUjsRhPSWfEiRfpE
mega.nz/#F!9MhnVYZT!upxCHxJOHnn7KTo9AfcbCg
mondotees.com/products/copy-of-over-the-garden-wall-original-soundtrack-lp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bought by 1:01.

Neat, I like the vinyl design

Bought at 12:01 exactly, fuck yes.

fuck i never knew i needed this

i don't even have a turntable either fuck

Aw yes thanks for reminding me, it's on its way.
Luckily I DO actually have a good turntable and giant ass Technics DJ speakers to blast this on

Getting cozy to this is how fall will officially begin
Only other soundtrack I have on vinyl is a vintage copy of Fantasia and Venture Bros Vol. 2, I hope Mondo with all their power can get their hands on the long in-limbo Bob's Burgers soundtrack. I've had those songs in my head on a million occasions.

I've been waiting all afternoon for it. I can't wait til it ships. I already rewatched it for this fall, but I'm ready to watch it again. I'll probably wait til closer to Halloween though. I love this show too much.

I don't have a turntable either desu. Guess I need to look into getting one. I'm excited for the songbook though. Can't wait to try some of the songs out on my piano.

>tfw Bongistani

hope it doesn't get fucked up on the way over

The digital version is coming out on Friday
My new reissue of Pink Floyd's Meddle is coming right now from Bongistan to Burgerland, I am hoping the same thing but in reverse

I'm thinking of getting the vinyl AND the digital when it comes out. I don't have a turntable.

How much of a stupid Goy am I if I do this?

If you love OTGW, do it. I even bought the For Sarah cassette ages ago.

same mate, same.

Is this the same one they sold at Comic Con?

I paid twice that from someone on eBay for it.

Oh shit I envy you. The only copy available now is that shitty MP3 rip and a $200 copy on Ebay.

Same one with a different print on the vinyl's face.

>had to solve 4 different captchas
FUCK

>cassette
do you have a cassette player with a 3.5mm jack
because if you do
would you do something good for all of us anons and record a lossless copy?
male 3.5mm > male 3.5mm cable + audacity is all it takes
pls user

I hope one of you anons with a fancy turntable can rip it and put up a mega with the songs

I'd love to hear it

Well, there go my meals for this week.

>$25
user
what kind of bare nothing do you live on
rice and beans that shit motherfucker

Already on What.CD mate
I assume you'd like me to upload it?

The FLAC digital will be out via Bandcamp on Friday, there won't be a necessity.
I do hope there's a hi-rez from a respectable ripper at some point though.

Oh yes please, user. Just a MEGA link would be lovely. FLAC version, please?

I need to get through that interview, I've been too lazy to do it

well anons
I bought it
$30 down the drain, I don't have a turntable, and I don't play any instruments
what am I doing with my life

international shipping
and yes

It will no doubt have massive resale value in just a couple of years, especially if you don't open it
It's not a terrible investment

>international
user, I'm sorry. I wish the best of luck to you.
not all of us can live in the Greatest Country in the World™

True enough, but I'm a goy, not a jew
I bought it to enjoy it
I might just get a turntable just to listen to this one vinyl.

For Sara (FLAC)
mega.nz/#!RAFlnDRI!ZE7yMFIsMZdovhaVGeEbbbQ4rGssUjsRhPSWfEiRfpE

thank you, user. You're a pretty cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything.

And verified. This is a good rip.
10/10 user, you're the best.

I'm an analog luddite, but I need to go digital for certain conveniences. How does one verify losslessness?

You check the spectrogram, which you can do with the Audacity program for free. Here's a comparison between the lossless FLAC source and a compressed version I made for demonstration.

Different bitrates and formats have different frequency cutoffs. Spek's spectrograms are clearer than Audacity's
Basically, 320 MP3 cuts off at 20kHz, v0 at 18kHz, 128 at 15kHz, and so on. If it goes above 20kHz, odds are it's lossless
The exception to this are AAC encodes, a good one is very difficult to tell from lossless even though it is lossy because the compression is much better than MP3. But hey, if you can't even tell then why bother complaining..
Most transcodes will be pretty obvious though

forgot to include an explanation
Spectrograms are visualizations of how loud a song is at a certain frequency. When it's white it's loud, when it's red less loud, blue it's quiet. At grey, there's no data. You can see that the lossy MP3 has a 15kHz 'cap' on it where there's no data past that high of a frequency. The lossless version goes all the way up to around 22,050Hz which is the maximum the sampling frequency can represent (44,100 samples per second = 22,050Hz maximum). Lossless data encapsulates all of that possible frequency response, lossy data loses a significant chunk of it. I hope that makes sense.

One off but totally correct. Much better explanation than I gave, kek. Good job, user. Now let's see:

Damn, seems those numbers are too powerful for Cred Forums.

I'm an international buyer and now I'm worried that my vinyl will get fucked during shipping...

Which one is safer, DHL or USPS?

I live in the US, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've always had better experience with USPS. Faster and safer delivery, most of the time.

Thanks, guys. I knew I shouldhave paid more attention in that electronic music class.

If it happens, it happens, and it can happen to anybody. At the very least you'll get a replacement or refund if it does.
I'm sure they pack it with extra care when shipping internationally though.

It's all good, m8. I'm just happy to help.

So, anons who DO have a turn table, what are your setups like? How will you be enjoying this vinyl?

I am
I have
>Audio-Technica LP-120 my mom got me for Christmas, is bretty good but I intend to upgrade soon or later
>aforementioned speakers, they sound great and can get incredibly loud
>90s receiver I found in an alley
I have at least 200 LPs, not sure of the exact number at this point
I sit and listen to albums about as often as I watch TV

damn, that's a nice setup. I'm hoping I can get an older, but still nice turntable this Christmas. My grandparents are itching to get rid of their old, expensive vinyl stuff, as they've moved entirely to digital. Fingers crossed I can snatch it.

well i'm not some a faggot so just got a crosley

Crosleys destroy records and are cheap pieces of shit that sound even worse than they look

user...you know crosleys are terrible right? theyre like the cheapest crap turntable you can buy that still works
youd be better off hunting around second hand stores for a used but high-end one

Over the Garden Wall (Australian Blu-ray remux)
Has better contrast than other versions & significantly more detail during dark scenes
mega.nz/#F!9MhnVYZT!upxCHxJOHnn7KTo9AfcbCg

New autumn background for everyone

sure they do

They have a heavy-tracking ceramic cartridge that puts a ton unnecessary weight on the record and wears down the grooves way faster than a diamond stylus, which is what any proper turntable has. They also don't use a preamp meaning they don't account for the RIAA curve that all records are mastered to, meaning the EQ is totally wrong. In addition they generally don't "track" very well (meaning they don't precisely stay in the grooves) due to shoddy build quality and therefore it creates a ton of distortion on "s" sounds and towards the end of sides.
I don't know why they sell these pieces of shit and judging by Amazon sales rankings they actually sell well, trust me that shit sounds like garbage compared to even an MP3, much less a proper setup.

Could you or other anons recommend a good one for those of us who don't have one yet? I have the record on the way and I'd like to buy a good one for my first one that wont fuck it up.

Thanks user.

Audio-Technica LP-120 is a good option, the Cordcutter (which generally gives good reviews for those getting into a hobby) recommends it. It's not known as a top-tier turntable, but it's known as the best entry-level one.

For a little less than that one you can get the U-Turn Orbit, it's very basic but it's built to an audiophile standard. The LP-120 has a built-in preamp which means it plugs in more easily to modern systems that don't have a phono input but it's not a very good one and people have observed that it hurts the sound quality even when you switch it off and use and external one.
But yeah if you get the Orbit (or any vintage model) you'll need either an amp with a phono input or a preamp to plug into an amp that doesn't have one. Both are easily achievable, I'd look around thrift stores and Craigslist for older amp/receivers.
There's also the route of looking for a vintage turntable which could land you quality gear for half the price of a new one if you're lucky. It's worth the hunt if you succeed, look for stuff that looks and feels well-built, made of metal or wood ideally. Avoid plastic. Technics, Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, and Rega are common brands to look out for. But be prepared to have to buy a new cartridge or belt if it hasn't been restored or maintained. You might have a hi-fi shop or record store near you that stocks restored vintage turntables

I think my family has kept my grandparent's turntable and setup. I'm hoping it still works, otherwise I'm gonna have to get it fixed...

Would it be more expensive to fix an old turntable or to get a new one?

Depends on the fix. If it's just the cartridge, then it's easy, if it's the belt or something else that needs repairing, then it'd PROBABLY be cheaper to go new. I'm no expert, but that's just what I've seen from the research I've done.

Belt is actually cheap too.
And the cartridge is the single most component as far the tonality of the sound. If the cartridge is cheap and crappy, nothing else well save it. You have to make sure it's properly mounted too (there's print-out alignment charts)
Most fixes are easy or otherwise affordable, they're not all that complicated. Unless it has a motor problem, THEN you should just spring for a new one.
It does sort of all depend on whether or not it's a good turntable in the first place though. If it's from the 70s and from a respectable brand it's probably well worth keeping

*most IMPORTANT component
i accidentally a whole word

Good shit, user. Thank you for the info. That's got me thinking about vinyl equipment now.

Thank you, Christmas 2014.

I can't believe it's already sold out

;_;

Thank you both very much, I will see what I can get and hopefully have one by the time the record arrives.
I know nothing of records but this is stupidly exciting.

Barely any better than a Crosley, though about on par with what a lot of normies were using in the 80s
Doesn't look like it uses a standard cartridge mount either
As far as less-than-$100 players go the Audio-Technica LP60 is still kind of a toy but a well-engineered one, you can't upgrade it and it's got a plastic construction and such but it sounds pretty okay, and won't wreck your shit.

>that feel when your mondo order goes through just in time

God damn, this is For Sara all over again

not other user but are these ion ones ok? seeing alot of those for sale

Oh wow I'm glad I ordered it earlier.
But this is the Mondo webstore exclusive color, there's going to be another pressing (maybe standard black vinyl?) for other retail and online stores in a couple of months that's supposed to go on pre-order pretty soon.
They already sent the tracking number for mine so it should be here in a couple of days, I'm hype. Last time I ended up with a rare record because I snatched it quick was Saint Pepsi's Hit Vibes, got the red pressing for $10 and now it's worth $150+
OTGW will probably sell pretty well and get re-pressed though, that Saint Pepsi album can't be because it has a ton of unlicensed samples. There will always be collector demand for rare colored versions though

whoops nevermind just saw

It's not exactly built for rich quality sound but it'll do the job reliably. It's something you get after inheriting a relative's record collection and want to digitally archive it.

But the black ones just won't be as cool.

Ah well

>looking for record player locally on craigslist
>no record players but there's a fucking gramaphone

Ok then

thanks

What did you guys think of it?

did you search "turntable" "turn table" "vinyl" etc

comfy
makes it easy to pretend Wirt is my boyfriend
i'm not normally homo but i am for wirt

A album of OTGW 10" shellac 78s would be stellar but also incredibly niche

Any record player with 3.5mm out will do digital archival as good or better than that turntable. Probably better, because that turntable has to include a DAC to output audio over USB. It'd be better to buy a $5 male > male 3.5 cable and use audacity to record it losslessly.

Well i got home from work and it's already sold out.

Son of a bitch. How much will this probably flip for on Ebay?..

I tried record player first but thanks for the tips, will try those instead

it seems fitting though doesnt it?

A shitload for a while, though I imagine sooner or later (after the second pressing is released) sensibly priced copies will go up on Discogs
But yes a pre-order for the second pressing (most likely in a different color) is supposed to go up pretty soon
Might want to follow Mondo on some sort of social media

>ordered this morning
>still don't have any vinyl equipment
why do I feel so satisfied with myself over this, anons? I'm not going to be able to play this vinyl until at least christmas, and even then I'm buying the digital release on Friday. Why does it feel so good to have a copy coming?

This is actually the second pressing, the first pressing was the SDCC one that looked like this
So the pre-order will be for the 3rd one

I wonder how good this will sound. Hope it's great, "Patient Is The Night" should be so nice and warm if it's mastered well

Because you got a really cool collectors' item that's already an actual collectors' item of value.
And I imagine you actually like the show quite a bit too
Hope you score some nice gear

Yeah. Strangely enough I actually like the mass print's design better than the "beast eye" version from SDCC. From the anons who've gotten the SDCC print, it's apparently amazing. The only omission is "The Old North Wind" which is a huge shame.

I guess that's true, user. I DO love the show, a hell of a lot. It's probably my favorite piece of traditional animation ever. My grandparents have some legit vinyl equipment from the 80's, so fingers crossed.

Pre-order's up, same color, ships in November
mondotees.com/products/copy-of-over-the-garden-wall-original-soundtrack-lp

Hah, guess they wont be quite as valuable then but I'm happy those that missed out can snag one now.

Thanks for the link, you beautiful bastard.

Got it pre-ordered!

Could anyone please scan the sheet music?

seconding this

God speed user

Oh wow, so they have another set of prints. Is there any difference between the ones ordered today and those, aside from shipping date? It certainly doesn't look like it from the page.

Just another pressing, the reason why the ship date is later is because they haven't been manufactured yet. In vinyl collecting earlier pressings are valued because the stampers get worn out as they produce more records with them. These are being made in a small enough number that it shouldn't be a factor and for all intents and purposes it looks like it will be exactly the same.

They're probably being made in small batches because vinyl production facilities have been bogged down with work for years, there's only a limited amount of record manufacturing equipment that exists in the world and the few pressing plants that have them can't keep up with demand. Various projects are in the works to remedy that however, like Jack White is building his own new equipment and opening up another plant in Detroit.

Well, TIL that the industry is ACTUALLY booming, and it's not just some hipster faggots in Portland supporting their local dumpster diver.

Also, that's pretty interesting that earlier prints are more valuable. Are there any other interesting quirks of the Vinyl industry? I'm really new to it, but it's very interesting to me.

Yeah, there's other reasons why earlier pressings are valued. The first vinyl mastering (the "cut") of an album is usually supervised and approved by the artist. When they have to make another cut to replace the old worn stampers they often would use inferior source material (a more easily accessed "cutting master" that was produced the first time rather than the locked-up original master tape, and every dub you do degrades the quality) and perhaps not use as much scrutiny. The first pressing of Led Zeppelin II, mastered by Robert Ludwig, had bass so extreme that it would make people's crappy 1969 portable transistor stereos skip, so it was re-cut and tamed on later versions. Now the original is highly desirable because of its sound quality.
For similar reasons the most desirable pressing of an album is almost always from the original country of origin, because no one was willing to risk shipping an original master tape over seas so they almost always cut foreign versions from a second or third generation copy.
Also even today bootlegs are extremely common, if you go to a record store and an album is marked as "import" without additional info that almost exclusively implies that it is counterfeit.

That's really interesting, user. Thank you for that little vinyl lesson. I'll be sure to keep that in mind if I ever expand my collection past this one.

According to Pat McHale on Tumblr the fact that the first batch sold out so quickly means will probably get more merch.

So what other merch would you like to have anons?

Nice almost-quads.

I'd like to have a CD copy of the soundtrack WITH The Old North Wind included. I'd like a Blu Ray in the US with lots of behind the scenes bonus features. I'd like posters galore. I'd like background art especially as posters, and as ultra-high res image downloads (original art resolution) for wallpapers and such.

But really, I'd like Pat McHale to make more series, more than anything.

I already have the Australian Blu-ray and it's pretty much perfect, but an American release would be nice..
Probably some nice art prints would make sense
I doubt they'll do a CD nowadays, I don't think Mondo's ever made one. Bandcamp FLAC (identical to CD quality) will be out on Friday, no clue if they'll put that song on or not

Yeah, I don't think a CD is viable, and I'm buying the Bandcamp release no matter what. It's just that I recently purchased a Disneyland music CD collection recently, and I fell in love with the unique case and cool booklets and stuff it came with. Plus I got to be super autismo about ripping it through 3 different CD players and cross-checking them all with MD5 sums and whatnot, although I'd prefer a FLAC download from the original master files.

In Japan CDs still very well (well over half the market), don't know if OTGW caught on there though
It'd be cool if they made one in a little mini LP sleeve with an obi strip

I think the only western animation Japan really went crazy for was Zootopia, really.

>tfw OtGW blu-rays arrived yesterday
Leaves turning brown, time to get comfy.

Here we see the rare Australianon. You don't see them much because their internet is so shit

seriously though, super jealous. It's nice to have the rip but it'd be nicer to have the physical disk.

I'm American and I have the physical disk, I used DVDFab to burn an identical region free copy to play in any player and it's just in a white sleeve inside the case.
worth it desu

ART BOOK.

I want an artbook with a shit ton of concept art and detailed pages and pages on the inspirations.
And a bluray with full commentary track.

Then I want Pat to make more shows, please.

Britbong actually but Aussie blurays work on European players.

>Meddle

Great taste my friend

This. I would be so excited for an artbook.

I'd also like a set of simple little figures kinda like we see in the show, the ones the toymaker makes.

>It's the beasts eye
Damn, I watched a bit of McHale's unboxing video and he mentioned something about an eye but I couldn't make it out.

I think it's only a SDCC thing though.

No this new release has the Beast's eye on the backside too. It's just the vinyl color thats different.

I would slaughter old ladies in a Black Friday-esque bumrush to get a copy of an art book for OTGW.

Like the other anons said, an artbook for sure. I'd also love some nice prints/lithographs or something, I'd kill to have some of the background scenery hanging on my wall. It's such a comfy show desu.

Seconding the art book, but has CN ever released an art book for one of their series?

If not, it'ld be pretty sweet if they started with this.

Not sure if this is off topic, but has anyone read Pat's book Bags?

I bought it months ago but finally got to reading it yesterday and I enjoyed it. It's very much in the same vein as OTGW though creepier.

Haven't bought it, no. I'd love to read more of his stuff, but I hadn't realized he'd released a book. What's it about?

It's a about a guy looking for her dog. He ends up encountering weird characters and of course wandering into the creepy woods.

Pat used to make a drawing in each book, but now it's a print.

There's even a soundtrack for the book on Bandcamp.

I think he still has it up on his Etsy (just search for someb ooks).

Cool, thanks for the info. When the band camp goes up on Friday I'll make a thread, if this one dies (with how few people are posting in it, it's probably the case).