youtu.be/b_W4EV-ikJY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=GfaGm6XlpGQ

This happens a lot on BBT.
>Nerd says something I understand completely
>Audience laughs for some reason

dude science is fucking whacky LOL

This is really fucking cringe.
it's like the worshipping of proletarian stupidity.

It's happened to me IRL. One time a girl told me to use words everyone understands in front of the teacher.

This was back in high school, and the word was precipitation.

>Super smart autistic scientist guy spends an entire episode having a breakdown over not being able to solve an equation
>In the end of the episode he breaks some plates and the shards wobbling on the ground remind him of the concept of FUCKING WAVELENGTH which allows him to solve the equation
What is this even? I was once told real scientists revise the scripts for that show.

>Scientist character uses real scientific terms, but in a context that makes absolutely no sense.

>friend in astronomy class at college
>some people didn't know shooting stars were meteors
What kind of schools are these people going to where that doesn't come up?

this is called technobabble, its used when the things on screen cant possibly be explained by real science, but has to make sense because its happening.

I noticed they often talks about Quantum mechanics.

They make sure the science isn't 100% nonsensical, I don't think they have a say in what actually happens in the episode in most cases.

>Smart character uses the scientific term for common household items and animals for no reason other than "they're the smart one"

>Friend just got his robotics engineering degree
>Offhandedly mention Asimov's laws to him
>"Who?"
Am I getting memed on? Are the three laws of robotics just a literary device devoid of merit and don't even get taught in robocollege?

Related:
>Character intelligently explains something.
>Other characters laugh and/or tell them they're boring.

Yes, they do not come up in a real academic curriculum unless the teacher feels like telling you about a neat book they read.

oh no the proton calibrator has knocked the quantum oscillator out of sync
>no matter, my ion calibrator can neutralize their wavelength

always makes me feel bad about myself

You can thank the american schooling system for this shit.
It sucks up until colleges. Postgraduate studies in top universities are its only redeeming trait, but considering how stupidly overpriced that shit is, no wonder most of the population hasn't got access to them and therefore are dumb.
Seriously, for any given age, the average european is way more cultured than any of us

IRL i remember a friend in elementary school who made a class presentation about dinosaurs.

I was literally the only one who fully understand what he was saying (that was actually pretty simple) but the entire class was on
>LULZ WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE NAMES? SO WEIRD LULZ? WHAT HE SAID? PTERANODON WHAT?? HADROSAURUS WHT??? LULZ SAURUS LULZ XD :DDD LOL

that make me so cringe.

Bazonja

never happens, only to you

They're shooting x-ray beams out of their radioactive supercore. Use your zappy gun to stop them!

Not if you count the brits. Bong youth is retarded thse days. Hopelessly retarded.

Western education is kind of a school back for everything
Elementary is daycare
Middle school is elementary
High school is middle school
Colleges revert back to daycare
Top-tier universities are actually what they're supposed to be

Take a drink every time someone has to reverse a polarity.

Hooray, now you have alcohol poisoning.

Like a balloon and something bad happens!

meant the contintentals. so yeah. we actually agree.

>Doctor diagnoses someone with (made-up disease)-itis
>Disease does not involve inflammation

It's just some SODIUM CHLORIDE

What about tumorsyphillisitisosis?

Hmm, sounds sexy.

Did the teacher at least call her out on that?

I live in the south and in high school, people would straight up walk out of the class and/or pull out their bibles and start trying to teach the teacher when we would study evolution.

Our tech hasn't quite reached the point where we'd have to seriously think about ways to teach abstract moral guidelines to an artificial cyberbrain, and even then it would be the software people who'd have to figure it out. So, yeah, while it's kinda weird that he's never even heard of the guy, there's not much reason why it would come up in an engineering class.

>american schooling system

>Character says "it's just a theory"
>Character is a scientist

>Cultured
Good thing their culture is being erased by Arabs then.

A GAYME THEORY

Can anything have it's polarity reversed?

t. high school graduate

There are designated call lines that directors can call to get scientific information so that their "movie magic" is still scientifically accurate at 1-844-need-sci.
And yet people still feel the need to give glorious amounts of technobabble to try and fake out their audience instead of just putting a little effort forward to make it look nice.
>Source : WSJ

>take a drink anytime anyone misused the word "quantum" or "quantizing"

That faggot also makes me rage

Outlets. And then they shock you.

What did you say?

>Look it up
>it's real
Jesus Christ. Writers have no excuse.

I like when they reverse this for laughs:

>Frink: [drawing on a blackboard] Here is an ordinary square --

>Wiggum: Whoa, whoa -- slow down, egghead!

Bounce the graviton particle beam /
Off the main deflector dish /
That's the way we do things son /
We're making shit up as we wish /
The klingon and the Romulans /
Pose no threat to us /
For when we find we're in a bind /
We just make some shit up

>a person studying actual science doesn't know about some old science fiction book
>comparable to people not knowing basic facts about the topic they're supposed to be studying, let alone the universe at large

I can tell you didn't do anywhere near as difficult a degree as your friend did.

I have a hard time believing that to be true

This one fucks me up because that isn't even scratching the surface of crazy dinosaur names. Like I can see the class laughing at Zuniceratops or Eustreptospondylus or Cryolophosaurus, but fucking Pteranodon? That's some bullshit.

>PURE ENERGY

>And yet people still feel the need to give glorious amounts of technobabble to try and fake out their audience instead of just putting a little effort forward to make it look nice.

Because it's completely unnecessary and a waste of their time. They're trying to entertain, not teach, and they just need a science "feel", not actual science.

It's the same with law in the media. I'm an attorney, and watching anything law-related used to make me cringe because it's always, without fail, wrong. But it doesn't matter, because law shows/movies aren't documentaries.

Do you know what proper trial procedure looks like in your state? In the state the show is set in? At the federal level? Do you know the actual rules of evidence for the relevant jurisdiction?

I'm almost certain the answer to all of those is no. But it doesn't matter, because shows never follow them, nor should they. Legal procedures aren't supposed to be fun, they're purposefully slow and methodical to ensure fairness (at least in theory).

A show following actual procedure would be beyond boring. Don't believe me? Go to a local courthouse and watch an actual trial. Read an actual trial transcript. They're dull as dirt.

Movies don't bother to get the science right because it doesn't matter, they're just trying to entertain, just as they don't and shouldn't bother getting the law right unless it's a plot point.

Just curious about how valid something that gets hammered so deep in pop culture is, wasn't lambasting my friend over it, stop making wild assumptions based on nothing, bruv.

It's annoying as fuck because it's never a theory of any kind. Then again "But that's just a Hypothesis held up by inane speculation, A game Hypothesis held up by inane speculation!" isn't as catchy.

i know of one church here who encourages people to walk out/"educate" the teacher on the TRUE creation of the universe

Well, we haven't yet invented positron brains yet, so yeah, the Three Laws are still kind of a fanciful plot device whose purpose is get subverted every time they're mentioned.

"This was a particularly bad case of somebody being cut in half.
I was not able to reattach the top half of his body to the bottom half of his body."

"Speak English, doc! We ain't scientists."

Asimov is about sapient robots. Nobody's making anything sapient in any robotics courses.

At least I hope not.
youtube.com/watch?v=-Wnp-OOZB34

This. Trials are boring as hell.

>Every party repeats everything 40 times.

>pure energy
this so much

Heaven help me, is it so hard to just say "plasma"?

>Are the three laws of robotics just a literary device devoid of merit and don't even get taught in robocollege?

Er, yes? They're not and were never meant to be actual engineering concepts.

I can't find the quote, but Asimov said he developed the Three Laws as a reaction agains the dominant SF paradigm of the time, the Faust/Frankenstein idea of man going too far and being punished for playing God. Most of the robot stories when he came of age and began his career in the late 30s were about robots turning on their creators.

He thought this was boring and limiting, so he developed the idea of the Three Laws as a framework for telling interesting new stories, and it was, but it was never an actual scientific thesis.

The only thing I know about him is that he gave a copy of Undertale to the fucking Pope who couldn't even play it, and he made this awful video where he and some jewfro douchebag debate over whether Overwatch is better than Team Fortress 2 with no fucking research put in whatsoever. Never mind that the entire thing was scripted and biased towards his opinions so it wasn't even a debate, it was just fucking painful to sit through and would be even if I hadn't played the game he's slamming.

Doesn't sound as cool.

Besides, everyone knows plasma is green.

normies gonna norm

I grew up in the south as well. He's not lying. In highschool if you spoke up against christianity in class youd get the shit beat out of you by the end of the day.

I knew it wasn't actual hard science, but I'd imagine something like that would at least get a passing mention in one of the more futurist classes of the course. Thanks for the answer, though.

How do you feel about Ace Attorney?

Wasn't Asimov even completely unaware of how computers actually worked when he came up with the laws?

Holy shit

Why not just use -osis, it's acceptable in far more situation

Can I call them and ask them about speedforce?

Sounds like somebody got a case of opinionupyourbuttitis

I'm sick of the scientist character having to explain his "theory" of the multiverse or time travel or whatever. I'd have assumed these concepts were already engraved into popular culture by now.

>some Youtuber gave a copy of Undertale to the Pope

what

That is the most random-ass shit I've read all month.

I found the quote, on the Wikipedia page for the Three Laws:

>In The Rest of the Robots, published in 1964, Asimov noted that when he began writing in 1940 he felt that "one of the stock plots of science fiction was ... robots were created and destroyed their creator. Knowledge has its dangers, yes, but is the response to be a retreat from knowledge? Or is knowledge to be used as itself a barrier to the dangers it brings?" He decided that in his stories robots would not "turn stupidly on his creator for no purpose but to demonstrate, for one more weary time, the crime and punishment of Faust."

Not the same guy, but I'm also an attorney and I really love those games, even if it butchers literally every aspect of due process, it's all in the name of making the "lawyering experience" a playable thing, the only things I dislike about it is when it goes nuts on the future tech and the spiritual stuff, the former which happens way way too much. Haven't even picked up the sixth game yet because of it.

>Most of the robot stories when he came of age and began his career in the late 30s were about robots turning on their creators.
>He thought this was boring and limiting, so he developed the idea of the Three Laws as a framework for telling interesting new stories

And yet his robots ended up dominating humanity regardless.

Never played it. Looks fun, though.

I should say I'm not a litigator myself, I just know the basics of procedure from law school/the Bar exam. I do mostly transactional corporate and securities work.

Ace Attorney is interesting in that it's meant as a parody of Japanese courts. So the procedure is dramatized to hell to keep the game fun, but the prosecution outright falsifying evidence and generally making it impossible for the defense to win actually does happen all the time there.

do it and report back ASAP

Is that so? I never took it as social commentary, after all, most of the really unscrupulous persecutors are foreigners in the games, or where raised by foreigners. The Japanese ones are always pushovers that serve as comic relief in the first case of every game.

>One of these days Frank, they're gonna give me new legs and I will use them to kick your ass.

exactly right. and the scariest part was that it was painfully obvious none of them ever read the bible, a book they supposedly rule their life around. they pick and choose parts they want to believe and get most of their views from their parents. I feel for science teachers in southern states.

>wizard/magican says spell in Latin/foreign tongue or explains magic extremely vaguely
>non-magic users understand or are not confused.
>the audience is left in the dark however.
Why can't we have "in english!" moments when they actually matter?

I dunno. Edutainment needs to come back.

But the edginess of most opinions on Cred Forums would probably cause soreness and inflammation if they were lodged in someone's rectum, so that's a reasonable use of the suffix.

>Cred Forums
>implying
European culture is so PC it is killing itself.

How do I write convincing science fiction without a science background? I'm trying to make physicists more interesting.

Because magic isn't real and you can't explain it beyond "extremely vaguely". Just say something about manna or will or whatever and move on.

exactly right. and the scariest part was that it was painfully obvious none of them ever read the bible, a book they supposedly rule their life around. they pick and choose parts they want to believe and get most of their views from their parents. I feel for science teachers in southern states.

>grouping them all together

This is how you spot an amerifat, leaf, or convict islander

You've got to remember that the localization for the series is really weird. In English it takes place in some weird alternate universe San Francisco, but it's supposed to be Japan

Ignore the "hard SF" morons. Look to examples like William Gibson, whose Neuromancer is hailed as a seminal SF work but had no particular background in STEM, and is routinely cited for his keen insight into society and its relationship to technology. He didn't even have a computer at the time, he wrote it on a typewriter.

Honestly people with a high level of understanding in STEM are often kind of retarded when it comes to the relationship between STEM concepts and people and society.

>grouping them all together
Isn't that what the UE intends to do anyway?

>European culture
50 or so countries all have the same culture?

Oh, so the Von Karmas and Klavien aren't from nebulous Germanic place in the Japanese originals?

Hungary is spraying crowds of refugees at the border with high powered hoses

Thank you, that got rid of all my fears

>play otome game about wizards and shit
>questions in latin
>tfw you understand it after studying it some years ago

But yeah, people should laugh at weird languages, i guess it's just too hard to explain in 5 seconds since most of the time the author isn't focused on that sort of plot, or maybe the author wants to see retards looking for spells? It's a mystery.

I really try not to have a negative opinion on christianity. You're entitled to your opinion, right? They just make it so hard from an outsiders perspective to not view it as a cult intended to passify the masses. Every christian i talk to says they wouldn't have a moral compass at all if it wasnt for their religion. So maybe it is a good thing?

That's a very good thing user.

Frekaing Hideo Kojima managed to predict quite accurately what an Internet-centric society would turn out like, and he's just a university dropout that watched lots of movies.

Programs to reintroduce ex-convicts to society that have a religious backing to them are staggeringly more effective at reducing re-incidence than those without religion.

Apparently they're from America in the original version. It's still meant as commentary on the Japanese justice system, though.

> Every christian i talk to says they wouldn't have a moral compass at all if it wasnt for their religion.

That always weirds me out. Like if someone told you that the only reason they aren't robbing or hurting you is because that's against the law, you wouldn't consider them a good person, you'd be scared of them.

>Cred Forums pretends they understand anything about science

this board is only slightly better than Cred Forums when it comes to /sci/

read his whole post. he said what it was.

Links to evidence, please.

What did he predict?

Giving them a puppy is more effective.

People in general have moral compasses about as strong as a floppy disk anyway.

How come there isn't a rehab program for NEETs but there are tons for prisoners? Both are a huge drain on society

I know tons of people who would be dead in a gutter of a heroin overdose if they didnt think that would send them to hell. We live in a strange world.

Eh, I'm sorry, that was just an observation I made working with criminal law for a couple of years, I have no actual hard data to back it up. Maybe in the future I should look into it and make an essay out of it.

according to some interpretations that's actually the point. To them, humans AREN'T inherently good, and need fear of God to stay good.

>this whole thread is now Cred Forums

Not really. Except for maybe Britain and Sweden, which are bith extremely americanized, Political Correctness doesn't really exist to that extent in most of Europe. I live in Germany and it's still perfectly acceptable to use the word for "negro" when referring to black people or to make vaguely sexist jokes without being called out on it.

Just because we get a relatively large number of immigrants and took, for once in our history, a humanitarian position in light of the current geopolitical situation doesn't mean we are ruled by the kind of principles the American fringe left tends to express. In fact most of their notions about identity politics would still be considered rather laughable here.

I try too but I fail, I just don't say it to their face cause they wouldn't change anyway. The best I can do is hope for a good discussion with them where we can talk about religion in an open way, that time rarely happens but it can happen. And you can never turn someone to athiesm, all you can and should do (cause without knowing all their history I think it's wrong to try and turn them against their religion) is make them question their own religion.

Well, if you could make the Kessel run in less than five parsecs you wouldn't need context, nerd.

On this matter, I recently discovered that they used it correctly on Star Trek TNG.

>Implying this is what Cred Forums is like

>precipitation
Wait. THAT was the word? A single word?

You can, but it kinda just becomes science then.

> Just because we get a relatively large number of immigrants and took, for once in our history, a humanitarian position
There is nothing "humanitarian" about importing an army of millions of shitskins and then giving them free rein to rape and murder.

I have seen some evidence to show that, you can look at AA for evidence if you want. However, there is an equal amount of evidence that non-religious rehabilitation works just as well, as in Norway's rehabilitation methods, which is generally thought of as the most effective in the world.

Picking apart this kind of data in social sciences is really fucking hard cause of the amount of variables you have to deal with

>giving them free rein to rape and murder

They do go to prison you know? It's kind of hard to catch every single one of them.

NEETs ellicit zero sympathy. Even Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer had fans.

It's called "school".

Cred Forums would never have a conversation like this

Ah, so you get all your poltical news from reddit than, i gotcha

> Germany
> Not killing itself with political correctness
You idiots are importing some many mudslimes that whites will be a minority in a generation. That is cultural suicide, all in the name of political correctness.

No, they just get called "tanned Germans" and any discussion of their crimes is shut down for being "hate speech."

>A society where you're more likely to get help if you permanently harm other people

>Shadow powers

If you believe reddit or Cred Forums, sure. Come live in Germany for a month

> reddit
Nope.
breitbart.com/london/2016/09/05/gang-migrants-sexually-attack-german-girls/

You don't actually expect me to have a serious discussion with you after you made your point by referring to a large group of individuals as "an army of shitskins", do you?

youtu.be/b_W4EV-ikJY

Mind you, massive spoilers for MGS2.

Eh, they have made some concessions but not as much as the US. A bunch of muslims were making protests about Octoberfest, Merkle pretty much up and gave them the finger. saying something like
>We welcome you refugees openly, but you will not change our traditions. If you are unhappy, there are other places you can move

That's fucking awesome

>brettbart

This is really the thing about the Ace Attorney games. You can change the window dressings but you really can't change the complete and utterly horrifying Japanese legal system.

I got a buddy going through law school who just completely will not touch the games out of disgust

Better than any of the MSM, that's for sure.

> No real argument against facts presented
> Attack the source instead
Liberalism really is a mental disease.