It's really strange to think there was actually a time where Cred Forums was pissed about these designs being replaced

It's really strange to think there was actually a time where Cred Forums was pissed about these designs being replaced

Because it didn't look like CalArts garbage you dumbfuck.

Can you shut the fuck up about calarts? Id rather have an attractive design uniformed then a pick an choose of designs on a bunch of shows, with only a handful being attractive, and the rest ugly as fuck.

I can't believe I used to prefer Pilot Pearl's design.
Speaking of pilot Pearl, that arm is terrible.

The only one who had any sort of real improvement was Pearl.

Amethyst and somewhat Garnet were the only alright designs, the others really needed a work-around.

>steven has jaundice

It's not so much the designs as the quality of animation and general art style

That Steven looks like a 34 year old man who can't grow facial hair

Imagine how cool Jasper, Peridot, or Lapis could have been with that style; imagine the FUSIONS.

Would SU have a bigger or smaller budget if it were on Netflix instead of CN? (because the difference between the pilot and the current 'calarts' thing is clearly at least partially related to budget constraints)

This is very true.

Imagine lore scenes in this style. damn

>Implying I'm still not disproportionately salty about Pearl not looking like that anymore

Steven is a ugly fat little cunt in either version.

I would've been happy with either design, honestly.

the only thing I was sad about going was garnet's hair and now the pilot version just looks wrong.

Everyone thought he'd a be a teenager or older from the first poster
Which made it seem even more like a harem show

The DESIGNS got better, but the art style itself now is worse. Especially in the later seasons, where everything is stiff and no one can storyboard characters even remotely consistent. Pearl looks like she's balding and Zuke can't draw the top of her head right, Lapis is B^U and Steven's head is disproportionately large while his body's gotten smaller, and Connie's eyes are massive.

I'm so glad they completely redid Pearl's design! At this point, there are very few cartoon characters that I find as attractive as Pearl.

IT'S THE NOSE.

Pearl looks like a lesbian and Steven, at least in this pic, has really red skin, Amethyst is passable.

Pic unrelated

I'm glad the style was moéd in general. It's a farcry from the early episodes.

Is there a pearl version of the lucky merchant?

This bloke knows whats up

seriously fuck sugar's way of drawing noses

I think bigger. CN has the potential to give more but comes off as not wanting to acknowledge the show half the time. Although its also dependent on if SU can pull in the same numbers on NF as on CN.

You're misusing the term art style. Stop. If you're going to comment on the quality of an animated show at least know enough about the topic that you can use the appropriate terms instead of just babbling incoherently.

can calarts stop being the graveyard of creativity?

Oh cram it, it's completely right. The entire point of the post was that the show barely has a coherent art style. No one uses model sheets, Raven and Paul don't draw like Zuke does and it's extremely glaring, to use examples.

I don't understand SU and their designs, or their anatomy.

>Sees humans as inferior lifeforms
>Literally a hybrid of human and Golems, but with superpowers

Makes as much sense as Homestuck's """trolls"""

To be fair they see humans as inferior because gems are immortal.

>No one uses model sheets
That's my major issue with this show, very annoying when character heights are different from one scene to another.

desu I kind of think some aspects of the Gem race is taken a bit from a late 90s/early 2000s(?) Squaresoft game

It's incredible that the whole reason they went for storyboard driven was to make it more visually appealing and dynamic but instead it's insanely stiff and inconsistent.

They definitely should have gone with a scripted show.

Sugar wanted to take the AT method, but it didn't translate well to SU because AT's designs are much simpler. Finn will always look like Finn because he's very simple to draw, not so much with more complex designs like Finn.

AND STEVEN!

Not really, he just had a color adjustment.

Amethyst looks the exact same
Pearl looks fine in the new style
Garnet's massive cube hair is amazing

That's not a very good excuse for it in the grand scheme of things, though. It just shows the borders are either inexperienced or lazy. Their whole job is to tell the story visually, and if 90% of their visuals are just one bust shot of a character at a time or a group shot where only two characters are actually doing anything, it was either a conscious decision to keep it visually boring or the borders having no idea what they're doing.

The interesting thing is when Sugar is involved boarding an episode, there's usually one or two really captivating scenes. Otherwise, the last scene I can think of that wasn't stiff ended up being a Zuke episode (Steven vs Amethyst)

This was the first picture we saw of the redesigns - It looked really simplistic and cartoonish next to the pilot designs. But the final look won people over when they saw it in motion and with the pretty backgrounds. And while the characters often looked kinda bad in the beginning they got better looking over time.

I can take and leave specific things from the pilot designs (I think redesigned Garnet is a better design overall, I think the redesigned temple is a million times better) but the overall art style and coloring (less pastels) of the pilot was more interesting and I really wish the show reflected the style of Sugar's pre-SU art better (although as and are alluding to maybe the main problem in that regard is not keeping the borders in line, you can usually pick out stuff Sugar has boarded pretty easily because the characters start to look like Rebecca Sugar characters again pretty fast - also as far as going off model I will make an exception for Paul who I feel has a distinct style that's actually consistent and satisfying in it's own way, I also like Zuke's sex hair Amethyst more than regular Amethyst)

>Steven's head is disproportionately large while his body's gotten smaller

Yes, this probably annoys me the most of all this stuff, they just draw him as a kind of shapeless lump so often

i wasn't
that episode looked like shit
too much happening at once
larz was even more intolerable

Zuke sex hair Amethyst is best Amethyst

> I think the redesigned temple is a million times better
Of course, they got motherfucking Guy Davis to redesign it

The main people responsible for the redesigns (not just surcrose herself but also lead character designer Danny Hynes, who also worked on venture bros with Ian) didn't go to calarts

the crew once stated that the pilot had a smaller budget than an average episode of the show

The reason why they went with storyboard driven was so that the boarders would have a hand with the writing

Not really. The pilot Steven also had more realistic proportions compared to his final counterpart which just didn't look really appealing since it was in the uncanny valley between being realistic and caricatured (something the designs of the pilot had trouble with as a whole).

The final Steven had blatetly cartoony proportions that were just exaggerated enough to keep Steven visually appealing most of the time.

Pilot Steven looks like a balding 38 year old dwarf.

I prefer poster design pearl

I think it's amusing that people also complain about the inconsistency with the animations currently being used. If we had kept the original designs, the animation probably would have been more inconsistent; the orginal style was replaced so the animations would be more consistent.

*SVA garbage

Pearl's old design was decent, but jesus fuck the Becky Sucrose noses are horrible

is there a shop or inbetween design of that design with final pearl's nose?

Go back to your fucking general you retards.

You sound like Cred Forums when anybody says they are making a game in Unreal

make us

much better

I do prefer pilot Amethyst, everyone else was an improvement.

I love the art style although I don't like pearls design. Would have loved to have seen some scenes of the show in this art style

but pearl also had a horrible design in the begnning of first season too

What ever...

Pearl look Shit anyway.

Uh, no. Pearl's design never changed since Episode 1; if anything, it was just her post-reformation outfit.

I bet you're probably just talkin' about the wacky faces she made in those early episodes. That was because of the STORYBOARD ARTISTS pushing for off-model and cartoony expressions (Ian JQ, specifically).

Get your animation terms correct, user. You're reminding me of all the people who said that the "animation" looked off in "Crack the Whip".

Having seen enough Steven universe already I can confidently say that adventure time is better in every single way

Cred Forums are filled with Tumblr cucks who will suck anything up. They will even deal with such shitty art.

Post your sketchbook

We can only hope that the day cartoons are. O longer ironically hipster cool comes soon enough so we can become happy dorks again

Does any else think all the season 4 eps so far have had some pretty lazy animation?

Steven is a teenager though

whats the main difference really other than Garnet and Pearl's hair styles being changed and different outfits? other than that the animation itself was way better and more detailed than the half fast garbage we got.

will this civil war between detailed vs stylized ever end?

no, because one is obviously better than the other.

stylized works well when you're not presented with a more detailed version beforehand. Its teasing your cock while it's hard then presenting it fully flaccid.

with that attitude it really won't end

Early SU looks shit compared to how it's drawn now

Although Pilot Pearl is literal shit tier

Man i really dug the Jumi storyline and i wouldn't be surprised if one of those weeb showrunners got some inspirations from it.

I still stand by the fact that Amythyst and Garnet's old designs were superior.

Speaking of art styles getting worse, Jamie Hewlett has become a hack.

I find them to be a bit busy, the current design cuts down on extraneous detail

I'll always be mad about them changing the style. The pilot's incredibly beautiful, the primary appeal of Rebecca's style is how organic and flowing her linework is and it's almost entirely lost in the geometric simplicity of the series proper. The color palettes changed from a unique blend of saturation and dark values that emphasized the sparkle in the gems and gave off a stormy atmosphere to a pastel wash-out. The only thing that was enhanced in the shift to the full series was making the gems nicer to Steven instead of having bitch older sister Pearl.

Just look at those gorgeous multi-faceted gems and the details in those furls of cloud. I also really loved the little touches of gold, it made everything seem more ancient and regal.

I just hope that Rebecca had enough of the series planned out that there are existing pilot design sketches of at least a few gems we didn't see in the pilot, like Rose or Ruby/Sapphire.

Pilot Amethyst was a qt.

A few other anons had it right; the character designs in the show proper are MUCH better than in the pilot. SU's character design is actually pretty top notch in its functuality: you can tell everything you need to know about all the characters at a glance.

Most everything else was better in the pilot tho, especially the animation and not constantly being off-model.

They evoke two different feelings - the pilot was rich and dark, it would've fit a more sinister war story between the gems of the world. I think it's gorgeous, and it'd be really nice for a film.

The show is bright and vibrant, which fits Steven's cheery disposition and the slice-of-life episodes. The backgrounds are gorgeous and the character designs surprisingly expressive.

Apples and oranges. They both do different things equally well. If I had to choose, I'd keep the current scheme, but I'd like to see if things could get a little more "fluid" in their animations, if that makes any sense.

It is apples and oranges, but in this case it's more like... nobody has the apples and the oranges are less tasty, you know? It could have been something great that you don't see very often.

On the other hand, the changes that were made were probably out of necessity and have contributed to the longevity to the show by making it more appealing to children.

I'll wait for Sucrose to make her own animated film in her style.

>I just hope that Rebecca had enough of the series planned out that there are existing pilot design sketches of at least a few gems we didn't see in the pilot, like Rose or Ruby/Sapphire.
Ruby and Sapphire probably don't exist. She's admitted before that she didn't have a clear idea of what kind of characters Garnet would defuse into until quite a ways into the first season.

Rose Quartz and all of the main fusions supposedly do, though.

I still preffer them besides steven.

I'm really glad someone else thinks the same.

I gave this show a try once and the fact that Steven comes off as a retarded kid had me dropping it in like 5 episodes.

Ah, but Los Angeles is *in* California, so technically he's still a California Artist!

Awww snaaaap

Most pilots are similar, the creators pour the best of what they are into them to show off their style and sensibilities. They have to distill the essence of what they think the show should be into 11 or 22 minutes and as such they tend to be concentrated goodness, plus they can call on their talented friends to help. Heck even Genndy Tartakovsky was involved in this one.
Once it's picked up the whole thing becomes a churning business, so art has to be pared down for speed, stories have to be rushed a little more, depth sacrificed for spectacle. The 'family' that made the pilot is diluted as the animation is farmed out to Asia so despite their best efforts some heart is inevitably lost.
It's a great show and keeping the same fluid style would've been fantastic but would also mean we'd probably get only one episode a month for six years, considering the extended hiatuses we already have that might be too much to bear.

Everyone I know who watches SU hated it at first for that very reason, but after soldiering through those first 15 or so episodes they ended up loving it.

Myself included.

it's because the art at the start of series was shit

I wish they kept Pearl's cowlick, otherwise, the designs got better.

There's an edit of the last scene of Super Watermelon Island where the gems have their pilot designs, but the the newer kind of line work and they all look really cute/good.

>There's an edit of the last scene of Super Watermelon Island where the gems have their pilot designs, but the the newer kind of line work and they all look really cute/good.

What, share

I hate retarded kids

There's another kind?

I kinda wish they looked like this in the flashback. Then again, Greg met Rose in what, the late 90s?

Garnet can be Rick James in an early 80s episode.