Returns' Catwoman

This film came out in 1992, and yet its still the most widely known version of the character outside of comic books.

Why is this version of Selina so well liked, and interesting?
Would you want to read more stories with this version of Selina? How does Burton Selina contrast with the selina we currently have in the DCU?

In fact, where does Burtons interpretation of Selina even come from? I only know catwoman comics from the last 30 years, Brubaker, Year One...n52.......was she like this Post-Crisis or Pre-Crisis?

Other urls found in this thread:

scifiscripts.com/scripts/catwoman.txt
youtu.be/tGnPf8BpXaQ
bleedingcool.com/2016/03/09/the-kate-leth-joe-quinones-tim-burton-style-batman-89-comic-that-dc-turned-down/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Probably because she was the most interesting part of the movie, and is focused on throughout. The nine lives angle and her cat shenanigans were fun, although inaccurate.
Anne Hathaway is my favorite, but her moments aren't as memorable, and she's cast aside for the other characters.

what if that got added to comic selina?
three jokers....maybe two catwomen?

honestly, i just think it was because of her slutty comicbook-ish outfit.

Michelle Pfeiffer and the outfit.

There's only one Selina, famalam.

>one of the hottest actresses of all time vacuum-sealed into a BDSM outfit
>why do people like her

A true mystery.

>In fact, where does Burtons interpretation of Selina even come from?

From Tim Burton. She fits into his family of sympathetic freaks and weirdos, she would wouldn't be out of place in Beetlejuice or Edward Scissorhands.

Burton's Gotham is basically a gothic circus were every person is three-fourths away from becoming a comic book villain just by living there. There's penguin people in the sewers, crime is run by clowns who dance to Prince and major heads of industry are played by Christopher Waken, it's a city constantly on the edge of camp madness.

Basically because of the shiny latex/vinyl outfit and her raw sex appeal.

This guy's got it right. Burton just made the characters so fun to watch by being Burton characters. They would probably feel out of place anywhere else.

so basically, burton/pfeiffer can't woman can't exist out of the Burton-Batworld eh?

She really can't, that version only works in a Burton level of absurd heightened reality.

thats kind of a bummer for me; i've been trying to write some stories about her and I can't really come up with anything; and perhaps the burton-ness of it is why

>This film came out in 1992, and yet its still the most widely known version of the character outside of comic books.
Not really...she is to the mid 20s-30 something generation because she's "our" Catwoman, people born in the late 90s and 00s wouldn't easily recognize her or who she is

>Why is this version of Selina so well liked, and interesting?
Because she's hot, and she's not. She was a damsel brought back to life by magic cats and given magical cat powers...she isn't interesting at all, she's contrived and defeats the original cleverness of a "catwoman" who is a catburgalur. She is however hot as fuck and gave many kids a vore fetish and a catgirl fetish and a leather fetish, so that's why she's liked

Oh boy.

>This film came out in 1992, and yet its still the most widely known version of the character outside of comic books.

Comic books since 1992 have been selling decreasing numbers each month. By 1997 the entire US/Canada market had contracted 15% each year for five full years, and it continued to fall that year. The level it's been at since implies a largely static audience who buy according to hype rather than large numbers of consumers entering/leaving the market each year, as the overall number of unit sales in most years can't even account for more than a million readers, unless you assume most readers only buy one or two comic books a month and no readers buy much more than that at all.

By contrast this is a movie seen by 11 million souls on its domestic opening weekend alone, and something like four times that by the end of its run. At peak, at that time, the US comic book market might have been twice as large as it is today, which was still significantly smaller than during the 1960s heyday of superhero comics (when DC alone outsold the entire modern market each month). It's debatable whether she's better known than the various incarnations from the Adam West show, but she's certainly a contender.

Compared to? Compared to 2004 Catwoman, she's a 3D-marvel of a thing. Interesting is a statement, not a question, by the way. Putting a question mark after it doesn't change that.

>Would you want to read more stories with this version of Selina?

No? I'm good, thanks. I don't really care about comics right now. Call it a diet.

The filmmaking process isn't a slavish attempt to adapt someone else's work. There's a lot of creativity to be had even in an adaptation; you put in your own ideas, just as if you were writing a comic book. So from Burton, or people who worked with him on this.

>Why is this version of Selina so well liked, and interesting

because people wanted to fuck her, including boys who were just entering puberty at the time and had their sexual awakening to Michelle Pfeiffer licking Michael Keaton's face.

More HD blu-ray screenshots, please.

>would you want to read more stories with this version of Selina

No. I like that its just Burton's interpretation.

>Slowly approaching Max holding a gun and getting shot each time
>4, 5...Still Alive!
>6, 7...All good girls go to Heaven
>The Gun empties and she just loves
I love how psychotic she made this (and also because the rhyme is a shout out to Blade Runner)

...so basically one of the best and most faithful renditions of Gotham ever put to screen? I get what you are saying, and it's certainly an Elseworld as far as the characters and backstories, but you final paragraph basically describes Gotham perfectly

ok

If I swung that way you'd might be right but what drew me to liking her was how cool the costume looked and Pfeiffer's acting.

And the scene where she freaks out in her apartment along with that score.

That being said I remember reading a little bit of the Burton Catwoman script that got leaked and I didn't really like it.

Because there have only been three recent versions of Catwoman on the big screen and TDKR was kind of shit while Catwoman's solo film was super shit.

If you actually had a good Catwoman in a good movie again we'd be able to remember her.

>That being said I remember reading a little bit of the Burton Catwoman script that got leaked and I didn't really like it.
tell us about it-?

I lost interest early on when I first read it so maybe It's just me.

>scifiscripts.com/scripts/catwoman.txt

>...so basically one of the best and most faithful renditions of Gotham ever put to screen?

A very particular, very Burton version of that kind of Gotham. It fits his own aesthetic.

I don't think you could ever put that version in the actual comics, she's just...too much. Too much of everything. Gotham has never really had that kind of neon-gothic aesthetic in the books.

>two lives left, maybe I'll save one for next Christmas

>but in the meantime, how about a kiss Santy Claus

I also think her origin is fairly appealing, magic cats notwithstanding. She goes from this meek, but intelligent cog in a machine to this uninhibited violent latex dominatrix/avenger. Not only is there the power fantasy element of it, but also there's the freedom element. The fantasy of just loosing your shit, tossing it all, and somehow being improved by doing it is a powerful one.

>she loves
Fucks sake no she laughs.

My spelling is really shit this morning.

I subscribe to the crazy belief that those aren't magic cats and that there's nothing mystical about her power/nine lives.

She is just insanely lucky each time she almost dies.

Surviving her initial fall? Freakish luck thanks to hitting the fabric awnings (whatever those were) and landing in the snow.

The magic cats? Starving alley cats that were intending to eat a dead body.

Her "life" isn't her actual life being taken but a moment where she should have died but luckily survived.

>Her "life" isn't her actual life being taken but a moment where she should have died but luckily survived.
i love the idea of magic cats, but i never interpreted it that way myself.

the curtains broke her fall, the kitty litter broke her fall, max's shots werent kill shots, and you can see her walk away after she kisses him/electrocutes him.

No mere curtains can save a life from a fall that steep, she was dead mack

>Catwoman is more Harley Quinn instead of the straight man defender of woman among the ones outside of the law
>Poison Ivy Isn't a turbo-homo and has "REMOVE HUMAN" as higher priority than "muh plants"

Why is this allowed?

Three curtains and a lot of snow.

>Catwoman is more Harley Quinn instead of the straight man defender of woman among the ones outside of the law

Wait, what the fuck is wrong with that?

People have fallen out of an airplane without a parachute and managed to survive. It's improbable, but not impossible.

The biggest problem with comics guys, and you know this is true, is that they demand everything be exactly like something else. Every time something new of slightly different happens they complain endlessly.

This Catwoman for instance? If there's have been a screenshot during production like
Cred Forums would have had thirty threads a day for weeks about how she can't be catwoman cause she has blonde hair. You KNOW this is true.

Even now, in this thread, you're basically asking for some more of something that already happened.

You're acting as if that didn't happen. Comic nerds were going NOT MUH at Burton's films as much as they went NOT MUH at every other Batman film, they just didn't have the internet to do it
If anyone had that interview clip of a fan ranting about how Keaton can't be Batman because he's too short that'd be nice, I can't find it

Or refer to Kevin Smith going full NOT MUH on his podcast

Ok, so you want to tell me that you don't believe that she died or that the cats were magic....I think you're full of shit since she somehow gained acrobatic cat ninja abilities she never had before....but ok, I can buy your suspension of disbelief

How do you suspend your disbelief about Penguins living in urban sewers and having a psychic link and/or being able to communicate with a man just because he happens to look like a penguin, no matter how you go about it this movie is full of retarded inexplicable animal magic.....it wouldn't be a shock if Batman could talk to bats in this movie

From the first few pages I've read, this looks pretty bad. Only thing I found interesting is how they reference Catwoman's attacks on Gotham.

>You're acting as if that didn't happen.

It happened, but only comic nerds saw it. This shit used to be a lot quieter.

What if Robin was a bat?

>...so basically one of the best and most faithful renditions of Gotham ever put to screen?

I've always said that Burton's Gotham was the best gotham.

You're quoting 2 people btw

>Acrobatic Cat Ninja abilities
She just does flips, we're given very little info on Selina's personal life.

Who's to say she wasn't a gymnastics geek who went on to be a meek secretary.

>Penguins living in sewers
Sewers being the abandoned circus hideout. They certainly travel using sewers but they probably live there instead.

Either way It's Gotham, Not only that but it's Burton Gotham.
As an aside Can you imagine what the sewers are like in Schumacher Gotham?

As for Penguin, that's close to animal magic but I'd attribute it to Penguin spending his entire life with the animals plus they probably think he looks like a big fat albino penguin. It's likely they have a strong bond.

I always assumed that Catwoman did gymnastics and high school but ended up as a secretary assistant.

Her story is a little more tragic/pathetic if you imagine that she had high hopes on her gymnastic career but were crushed by reality and ended up doing a job she hated.

>No mere curtains can save a life from a fall that steep
It's a movie, so yes they can. They are shown for the specific purpose of giving the audience an understanding of why she survived.

If we were supposed to believe she died and was resurrected then why would the director choose to show the softening of the fall? I cannot believe people find cat magic a more believable explaination than 'she just didn't die'.

>Supervillain took gymnastics in high-school
when will this meme die?

Hey at least there's a possible explanation for it.

Look at X-men Mystique. All those flips and kicks and there is little to no explanation how she learned to fight like that. She didn't go to school as a child so it couldn't be then.

When every single superhero stops having "trained in martial arts and is a good fighter" as part of their abilities.

>It's a meme because I was a fat fuck that had a heart attack every time I tried a push-up

People do sports, user, and girls tend to do gymnastics. Why is it so unveliebable?

She old. Learned to fight by during so for centuries.

She was a kid alongside kid xavier in the movies.

but she hasn't been anything since that movie. i think everyone just forgot about her too.

If I undid her stitches, would she fall apart?

I havnt seen batman returns

My sister did gymnastics in high school. It's a pretty normal thing for girls who are into athletic shit but not butch enough to give a fuck about like softball or field hockey.

Problem is, as an adult she can't do ANY of that shit now. backflips ain't like riding a bike, you have to actually keep up on the practice.

Softball is butch?

>Poison Ivy Isn't a turbo-homo

She never was until Harley. Even then, you could argue she's bi.

I believe the movies use her weird lizard-y physiology as an excuse for her ability to powerslide across floors and choke people with her feet.

Well all the girls who played it in my school were the stocky broads with big shoulders and no curves.

God damn she was hot.

how old are you

Because it's good.

Returns Catwoman and Penguin's whole deals is that they are literally Bruce gone bad.

>innacurate

Catwoman always makes cat puns. This is nothing new.

You know she didn't ACTUALLY have nine lives, right?

This desu.

Gotham.

>Gotham.
how does Gotham Selina compare to Returns' Selina?

Gotham is Burtonbats: The Series

tell me more
i dont actually watch gotham-should I?

>Gotham is Burtonbats: The Series
More like Gotham High with Burton characters

Why are you so mad?

Incorrect.

Yes. It's based as fuck. Imagine if you combined Burton's Batman with BTAS's weird "timeless" time period and then made a crime drama in that period. It's kind of dark, violent, and moody, but also weirdly manic and fantastical.

First episode is the worst in the series and the only one people like have seen, and the first half of the first season has a lot of slow-burn buildup, but once The Ogre hits and everything they've been building up to explodes it basically never slows down again.

I don't ever watch live TV but Gotham made me get it. It's good.

She wasn't interesting, just sexy and provocative.

She wasn't unneeded and pointless in this movie, just like Rhino from TASM.

It's the official sport of lesbians.

>Compared to?
did you not mention the other on-screen catwomen besides halle berry on purpose, or because you forgot they existed

God, her makeup is everything.

I just watched this a couple of days ago and I have to say it's the best Batman movie. To quote a review on letterboxd.

>three cosplaying homicidal psychotics driven insane by a pulpy combination of sexual desire, emotional trauma, and socioeconomic anxiety wage open, armed conflict in a major metropolitan area. this was bankrolled by a major studio and released to an eager public.

Really top notch stuff.

Because Burton

Isn't this the scene where the caressed batman's dick to distract him?

ikr???

i really love it.
youtu.be/tGnPf8BpXaQ

i want to copy it, but i'm brown, so idk if it will adapt as well

>Penguin: You're just jealous because I'm a genuine freak and you have to wear a mask!
>Batman: You might be right.

So good.

It's not even the best Burton movie.

I also watched Batman (1989) and Returns was way better. "Batman" felt a bit stuck in the 80s, returns is timeless in comparison.

You could always try just toning your skin down a shade or two if you don't think the super paleness would work. The rest of her look is pretty universal.

They're both good but yeah.

>Would you want to read more stories with this version of Selina?
If DC made comics set in Burton's Batman universe then sure. In fact writer Kate Leth and artist Joe Quinones pitched such an idea but DC passed on it for some reason.
bleedingcool.com/2016/03/09/the-kate-leth-joe-quinones-tim-burton-style-batman-89-comic-that-dc-turned-down/