Dreamworks staff lay off, Voltron:LD team included

cartoonbrew.com/business/comcastnbcuni-lays-off-200-dreamworks-animation-employees-143103.html

Old but Dreamworks laied off 200 people off it's animation unit including people who were working on Voltron:LD

TMS is trying to get said staff back to do a adaption of the Avatar comics for Nick since alot of the staff (mainly Lauren Montgomery who directed First Flight and Doom for them) worked with them and a number of Nick reboots as of late, from Cred Forums from a Baki-Dou thread about why TMS is even doing this, they are still trying to green lit it since January of this year, the Dreamworks lay offs helped.

>Just as a heads up, TMS was supposed to do a adaption of the Avatar:TLA comics because of the Rocko & Hey Arnold TV movies that Nick is green lighting and other reboots as of late, Nick did green lit the idea and was even cool with spending $3 million a episode to make sure that the quality was up to snuff, the issue is that Bryke did not want anything to do with Avatar anymore so it was rejected for the time being, TMS needed a replacement and Baki-Dou was that replacement.

>As for Teiichi Takiguchi directing this, back when Telecom was planing the Avatar thing Toshihiko Masuda was going to be the chief directer, when they switch to Baki-Dou Masuda was rejected for wanting to much money, Yuichiro Yano asked for the roll but he was also rejected for the same thing as Masuda (Yano's bid was lower however), they ended up with Teiichi Tachiguchi as the director and Toshiyuki Yamashita as the chief director.

Also...

>Bahi-Dou is a OAD only because they did not have enough money to make it into a series.

>Since it took between February to July of this year it make Bahi-Dou it seem that they wanted a 13 episode series but they only had enough money for a few episodes so they just did 1 OAD for quality reasons.

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/a/thread/147519721/#147535353
cartoonbrew.com/business/comcastnbcuni-lays-off-200-dreamworks-animation-employees-143103.html
twitter.com/hachi2501/status/778949714544779265
desuarchive.org/co/thread/85573223/#q85573845
desuarchive.org/co/thread/85573223/#q85573972
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

jesus dreamworks, get your shit together.

>including people who were working on Voltron:LD
Source? Because the story you linked said it was mostly management and operations.

Animation staff was included.

>it's a TMSfag makes shit up thread

>Most of the employees who will be laid off are from the corporate and management side, according to a memo by Jeff Shell, chairman of Universal Filmed Entertainment Group, that was distributed to staff yesterday. “We have begun sharing organizational decisions that will result in the elimination of approximately 200 positions at our Glendale campus,” Shell wrote. “These changes are focused in the corporate overhead groups as well as distribution and consumer products, areas where we can fully integrate operations with NBCUniversal.”

I don't see anything that mentions any animation team or TMS in that link.

No it is not, seek help.

>Voltron:LD team included.
JEUSUS FUCKING CHRIST, Could they just stop screwing up.

As for TMS desuarchive.org/a/thread/147519721/#147535353

It's for the best.

Could they even do that? I mean that would mean a good number in production projects with Netflix that they've already been paid for.

Yea the Olympics was a shitwork this year but Comcast wouldn't get that stupid. Especially with a Netflix centric deal on the plate to give them the cable lead.

Olympics is mentioned because that was a NBCUniversal/Comcast executive crowing about how the Olympics would be a sure windfall for them this year and had plenty of money anyway so didn't have to account for a Dreamworks Acquisition they really had no idea what they were going to do with

>It's a TMSfag thread

New Voltron cartoon was great.

Oh and rumor has it China may be the one to force Dreamworks to Split with NBCUniversal is something does happen.

Then I think Netflix will acquire them outright, fucking finally.

Prove it then. Where is it stated that they are laying off their animation unit in that link? Only thing that link even says that their could be more layoffs and that they have not laid out their plans for animation. How the fuck did you get the shit you posting about laying off all the people working on Voltron and TMS trying get the staff back from that?

Sadly yes.
No it is not.
The thing is that it costs to much for Dreamworks at $90,000 a episode.

desuarchive.org/a/thread/147519721/#147535353

You're welcome.

>The thing is that it costs to much for Dreamworks at $90,000 a episode.
That's pretty cheap for a cartoon. Simpsons and Avatar were/are running bills of 1mil an ep

> giving cartoonbrew clicks
> reading cartoonbrew
> taking cartoonbrew seriously

Nice source there.

And Netflix pays much more for it.

But there is no evidence they are firing anyone they have currently on payroll for show production.

As soon as i read TMS i completely disregarded this

Hollywood is crashing.

>TMS

Avatar was only a million because of Mako's/Mark Hamill's pay check and plain trips to China when Simpsons is only that much so that the VOs can tolerate bad scripts.
Netflix pays for more then 1 show.
Yes there is, thats why they're getting laid off.
Dude, you said the same thing with Bakuon and look what happen.

>Blowing smoke knowing nothing about the industry.

Move on folks nothing to see here.

No, this is something about the industry, please stay, it will save your life one day.

I know plenty and have been educating myself the more I go forward with my plans.

All this is speculative about whom is being let go with no proof to the actual departments being affected.

What plans?

>cartoonbrew.com/business/comcastnbcuni-lays-off-200-dreamworks-animation-employees-143103.html

Literally doesn't say that in the memo they've quoted. In fact since NBCUniversal already has duplicate staff positions, this would leave Dreamworks' Glendale campus for animators. Expect an expansion of creative positions there either as new jobs or movement from around NBCU if I'm right, the closure of the campus if you're right. Give it 12 months for the announcement either way; existing staff would still have work to do on existing projects, while new projects (which would require new staff) won't definitely be on until post SDCC.

It's only the Netflix unit that has been effected, features are fine for now.

I study the industry to better prepare for the experience in production.

To which Dreamworks is always a very unsafe bet for employment due to anyone in charge of them doesn't know how to handle it and right now Nickelodeon is looking to be the more sure choice due to their planned expansions to their facilities.

Their plan was to make Dreamworks more like Illumination in production output so they could field as many films as Disney does a year.

I also study the industry for the same reason.

>Their plan was to make Dreamworks more like Illumination in production output so they could field as many films as Disney does a year.
Does this effect the Netflix unit.

To my knowledge no both units operate separately and with Comcast making a deal with Netflix to have app integration in their cable boxes I don't see Comcast doing anything that would derail Netflix output.

Another note a long term Nick production vet Marjorie Cohn was put in charge of the Television Division of Dreamworks Animation and is still going to oversee it as head of Universal Pictures Group

So it does seem to be a more upper level shuffle than a production level one like a few years back.

I mean Dreamworks' unit that does the Netflix shows.

No nothing being done is affecting that units production.

Just features then?

They ditched the earlier plan of integration of the Dreamworks Feature and Illumination units.

Their production department heads remain the same as well.

So far it just looks like a streamlining that has left the production units themselves intact. Not wanting to mess with or break what was already working well enough in the first place.

Delete the thread, Kenji Hachizaki just debunked the whole Avatar thing

>Working on such a project is like going to work miserable on a gloomy rainy day and everyone around you is also miserable as well, so yeah, we're not doing that.

twitter.com/hachi2501/status/778949714544779265

tmsfag please fuck off

That was not from him, please leave.

Can someone tell my why TMS stopped outsourcing by early 2000? Did they close their California studio or something?

That was not outsourcing, but...

desuarchive.org/co/thread/85573223/#q85573845
desuarchive.org/co/thread/85573223/#q85573972

kys

Kill yourself, TMSfag.

Those were not from him, please seek help.

Yes, they're going to have to shift to textured fur instead of rendered fur on all of their cg animal cartoons to save money.

>The thing is that it costs to much for Dreamworks at $90,000 a episode
$90,000 is “too much“? Maybe they shouldn't be making animated series then if $90,000 is “too much“. I'm pretty sure even an 11 minute episode of Adventure Time costs more than that.

Yeah, that's not to bad considering Father of the Pride was like millions per episode.

>The mods won't presently, nor will they ever, delete these fucking TMS threads despite obvious autism shit and lack of info

Another reason this board is garbage and Hiro should just nuke it