Gene Luen Yang (who is also the first graphic novelist to be named national ambassador for children’s literature by...

Gene Luen Yang (who is also the first graphic novelist to be named national ambassador for children’s literature by the Library of Congress) was just named as a 2016 MacArthur Foundation genius.

Only a few issues in but how is his New Super-Man book so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

www29.zippyshare.com/v/70R9oixI/file.html
www9.zippyshare.com/v/AUP6OAs6/file.html
www67.zippyshare.com/v/4aXa9c15/file.html
cbr.com/dc-comics-new-super-man-is-a-jerk-but-gene-yang-is-trying-to-fix-that/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Posting this from the archive because why not

New Super-Man 001 (2016) (webrip) (two covers) (The Last Kryptonian-DCP)

New Super-Man 002 (2016) (Webrip) (two covers) (The Last Kryptonian-DCP)

New Super-Man 03 (2016) (webrip) (two covers) (The Last Kryptonian-DCP)

one of the best rebirth books
up there with superman

It's one of the best things to come out of rebirth.
It's fun, does interesting things with already established DC concepts, has likable characters and makes good use of its setting.
Also Bat-man is pure husbando material

It's really fun, well paced, and 3 issues in and the characters are already showing an inkling of development

If the art were better it would be the best rebirth book desu

He's dummy.
Looking forward to Teen Titans/Outsiders/Legion of Superheroes/JSA of China.

It's tied for my favorite ongoing.

>One of the best rebirth books
yes
>up there with superman
no, because superman has been mediocre, except for the last issue.

I'm not reading a ton of Rebirth but the art here is better than King's Batman and Priest's Deathstroke.

Seems like the bimonthly shipping is essentially a choice to focus on story over art. What Rebirth books have good art?

Green Arrow, Superman and Trinity

>one of the best rebirth books

So no one is reading it and it'll be cancelled in six months?

it's the best book of Rebirth
besides Flinstones, it's the best book DC is publishing

Wow these comics are great.

Solid writing, original characters and an interesting premise. Does Cred Forums not talk about this series at all or have I just missed every thread?

Best Rebirth book along with Deathstroke.

you missed every thread

That's litt

Of the biweeklies:
Detective Comics
Green Arrow
Hal Jordan and the GLC
Justice League (IMO, the art is the only worthwhile thing in that series -- except for the Rebirth issue itself)

Superman has good art most of the time, but it can be rushed a lot.

First issue: It's just Kenan being a jerk
Second isuue preview and everything that follows: I love The Rip-Off Trinity already

First issue sold really well, ended up in the top 10.

>current Hitch art
>good
Come on user.

i'm glad that most of Cred Forums seems to appreciate this book as much as i do

also, the variant covers for the first two issues were pretty great

Between this guy and Ta-Nehisi Coates on Black Panther, Marvel and DC BOTH have a MacArthur genius on staff.

Really awesome stuff. I'm not a huge fan of the current trends at the Big 2 right now (mostly because of movies) but the outlier stuff coming out is just stellar. Now we need to get Junot Diaz on a book.

Tony Daniel is drawing JL, not Hitch

>As a MacArthur Fellow, Luen Yang will receive $625,000 in grant money over a five-year period with the intent to provide him with "the flexibility to pursue their own artistic, intellectual, and professional activities in the absence of specific obligations or reporting requirements."
Damn son.

It's better than Superman

I've hated almost all of GLY's other work, but I've really loved New Super-man

By a lot.

He and TNC can basically just walk

Do you mean just his DC work or all of his work?

The Avatar comics, his Superman, "Game Over" I think was the name of his graphic novel.
He's anvilicious at times.

Even American Born Chinese?

You keep missing threads. Cred Forums fucking loves Kenan.

>Now we need to get Junot Diaz on a book.

So his Dominican OC knocks up every female character in the Marvel universe and then feels bad about it?

Haven't actually read that one.

>not understanding that it's a parody of Chinese knockoffs
Baka

He fucked up the Avatar comics pretty bad. I have a hard time believing some people consider him a genius. But if this keeps him away from Avatar, I can't be mad.

>not reading New Super-Man

I feel bad for you

>reading Avatar comics
why

>Super-Man
>Kamala

These characters are so fresh and interesting and well written it's almost making me a SJW

>A relative of mine from China is coming over
Should I show her this?

If you think they'd be interested in the subject matter. It is definitely a very authentic Chinese-American work.

Everything in this post is true.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a diversity of perspectives when it comes to characters in these settings. It's when SJW's think that just making brown characters or female characters or LGBTQWTF characters counts as "diversity". Instead, diversity of opinions, worldviews, backgrounds is more important overall.

Dr. Omen is love. Dr. Omen is life. Dr. Omen is a total bitch, and I want to help her perform horrible experiments.

The thing people don't like about it is that it feels more like Chinatown than China, but it's pretty good

Only if it will help you fuck her.

She's my cousin and she's married
Her husband is also coming over

then you should cuck her and fuck this husband obviously

I ship her and the Great Ten Iron guy

>Also Bat-man is pure husbando material
>Liking this fat fuck.

All things considered he is probably Bara.

But I am digging the Trinity Knockoffs very much.

>not liking the chubbies
He's just too much man for you to handle.

im curious to know about the JLC and it's real endgame purpose. and how the JLA would react to it.

Plus i hope that the New Superman doesn't get nerfed once this ends

Genetics: always a reason

So her machine rewrites your personal history so you somehow get a copy of a Superhero's origin, right?

And the first failed Chinese Superman is probably the one who killed his mother?

the Zod/Bizarro of China?

>Going after big sloppy fat guy when there is a perfectly good Wonder-Woman flying around.

Pleb tier taste.

I mean ideally the kids just get original codenames after they quit the program

Tubby is CUTE

His work is wasted on such a shit character.

>superman has been mediocre

No because what Chinese-Americans or ultimately Chinese expatriates view of China and its dynamics is very different than what those who grew up in China see of their country imo.

Pandering doesn't make a comic good, user.

>hurr he's asian so he's shit
Go back to Cred Forums if you're just going to shitpost. Kenan is 10/10 based.

Saying something is pandering isn't a legit criticism.

can somebody explain to me exactly what dr.Omen is trying to achieve?

I would assume a nationalized JL total under her control similar to a public version of Waller's Suicide Squad but maybe wait until the first arc is complete.

maybe it will be good when they start doing something other than Superman standing around for "isnpirational" panels that people will spam to say "he is back!"

but hey, fanservice is fine but it doesn't make something good

Gene Yang compared her and the MoSR to Argus so that is a given.

A new Justice League for a new China.

>this is what Cred Forums actually believes
Wow, this place really is Cred Forumsmblr.

You're 100% right it is whatever you hate. Maybe you should leave and not come back.

Can't wait for more starro

>because superman has been mediocre,
shit taste.

>getting this triggered
Wow, this place really is Cred Forumsmblr.

No one is triggered but you

>muh 'diversity'
>10/10

Pick one, tumblr

This book is how to properly have characters of different race and ethinicity be introduced as good characters.

Literally everything Marvel does wrong with "Lol Captain's a black guy now" isthe exact antithesis of this book. If you want to have a minority and someone not white be represented as a specific hero, read this book for an example.

The fact tumblr doesn't mention this series really proves how racist they are, and how DC's more mature as a company, despite having some dumb decisions.

Sorry, forgot to remove my trip.

It helps that they're not actually minorities since it takes place in China. No hamfisted white guilt shit.

>She's my cousin

Yes, and?

Mainland or Honk Kong? There's a difference, you know.

Mainland but she's incredibly nice

Show them if they like the MCU or something.

Otherwise just don't.

Are mainland Chinese supposed to be rude or something?

Gene Yang is not even that good yet probably one of the people a normie might be able to bring up.

Mainland chinese are sterotyped rather largely as boorish without manners ala the nouveau riche since many of them were mostly poor less than a generation ago

There's this one image from a guy from Cred Forums who had to do business with them.
It isn't pretty

Ah well, can't help shit taste.

>No because what Americans view of any country is very different than what those who grew up there see of their country.

FTFY

You clearly have not even read it so why bother talking about it?

Not really. Yang's view towards China is not at all similar to say someone like Tony Bedard (who wrote the Great 10 mini for example) or Grant Morrison(who created the Great 10).

you're just not smart enough, user

I'm curious. What pic was it?

Man I do not wish to see the day if Yang leaves this book and it's still ongoing
If Yang leaves, he better end the book or gave it to another Chinese writer because fucking hell I will not have some webcomic SJW write muh Superman

Well the concept was Jim Lee's idea. If editorial is watching out for it then it might still be good if/when he leaves.

Editorials can only do so much.
I get the feeling DC has better editors, but that's not enough.

Lol not only do you believe shit you read on Cred Forums but you also use it to make judgement about a country of 1.4 billion people?

18+

His new superman is good, but doesn't really compare to his indie work. He should've received a small time book during DCYou, rather than being entangled in the shitty Superman editorial. I hope he gets to write another book for DC.

Can your recommend some of his indie stuff?

It's an interesting book. Definitely better than I expected. Not great by any means, but ok.

>The fact tumblr doesn't mention this series really proves how racist they are

What does this even mean? Do you use tumblr? The comic blogs I read talk about his book more than Cred Forums does. What you mean is the shit head crossposters don't post screencaps of SJWs talk about this book to outrage farm on Cred Forums then you're right and that's not a bad thing.

Seems more like Superman editorial were the only ones at DC interested in him in the first place though.

He literally mentioned nothing about the character's race, you dumbfuck. Jumping to conclusions and blaming Cred Forums for every differing opinion is the type of action that causes people to hate sjw's in the first place. Do me a favor and shut the hell up.

I still want a Chinese Lantern
Chinese Firestorm?
Chinese Sparrow Hawkman?
Chinese Black Beetle based on the Asian Longhorn Beetle?

>I get the feeling DC has better editors, but that's not enough.

Superman books are run by our boy Berganza. So editorially speaking it's a shitshow.

Not him, but try out 'Boxers and Saints' and 'The Shadow Hero.'

'American Born Chinese' is really beloved but I haven't read it yet.

>Boxers and Saints
Fuck I did not need the feels today

Try Secret Coders. Made for kids but pretty good.

but the superman line is the best it´s been in years , except for action comics

That's a low bar, it hasn't been truly good since maybe 2008. A good run here and there but nothing special.

oh god thanks for reminding me of american born chinese, i loved it, had no idea it was the same guy, definitely gonna check his whole bibliography

But we already have Chinese Lantern.
At least I figure she's Chinese, seeing her letters and that lantern.

This guy is really crushing it

>American Born Chinese
>Boxers and Saints
>The Shadow Hero

Are there DL links for any of these?

That's terrible. I'm starting to ship them.

>NS-M/NW-W becomes a more successful pairing than SM/WW

New Super-Man 01 (2016) (webrip) (two covers) (The Last Kryptonian-DCP)

New Super-Man 02 (2016) (webrip) (two covers) (The Last Kryptonian-DCP)

New Super-Man 03 (2016) (webrip) (two covers) (The Last Kryptonian-DCP)

I hope she's a lesbian now just to spite you

I don't have it but the guy basically begged another user not to learn mandarin because his boss made him deal with Chinese companies when he found out.
He had entire paragraphs filled with his experiences and how he had to deal with their poor service and general knack for scamming others.

>lesbian
>China

She had a crush and and something bad happened in relation to it, definitely gay

Was it really necessary to post this considering literally the first reply in this thread already has them?

it's a very underground movement

There's a CBR interview, I have suffered through the new layout to bring it to you

cbr.com/dc-comics-new-super-man-is-a-jerk-but-gene-yang-is-trying-to-fix-that/

>CBR: Is Kenan Kong really more important that Yao Ming?

[Laughs] In his own mind, he is. I would say that the broader world knows that he is not, but in his own mind, he definitely is.

>Don’t tell my wife this, but my oldest son is named Clark because, in my mind, Clark Kent basically personifies all that is right with humanity. The same can’t be said for Kenan. Why did you make him, to use Bat-Man and Wonder-Woman of China’s words, a ‘dummy’ that thinks he’s more important than Yao Ming?

The book is about how a young man gets Superman’s powers and how that transforms him physically and also morally. The moral paragon that is Clark Kent is sort of the destination of Kenan Kong. What we are going to be seeing, as the book progresses, is that he eventually gets there.

I have two different inspirations for the selfishness of Kenan Kong. One of them is actually Clark Kent. If you read early, early issues of “Superman” from the late 1930s/early 1940s when he first comes on the scene, he’s kind of a jerk. He’s kind of a dick. [Laughs] He thinks of himself as better than other people. He really likes to beat people up and then sermonize at them. There is one issue where he takes a slumlord and leaves him on a desert island to starve to death. And that’s it. That’s the end. He never goes back for him. That’s what Kenan Kong is like at the beginning.

The second inspiration is a very, very influential Chinese novel called “Journey to the West,” which was written in the 1500s. The main character is the Monkey King. I don’t know if you have heard of him, but in China, he is a big deal. In the beginning of “Journey to the West,” he is also a jerk. He only thinks about himself. He thinks about power. He thinks about getting glory for himself and the whole book is about how he attains spiritual enlightenment, how he becomes a selfless person. As an Asian American, I like seeing resonance between Western and Eastern stories, and there is resonance when you look at the stories with Clark Kent from the 1940s and the Monkey King. That’s kind of what I wanted to reflect in “New Super-Man.”

>What do you think a Chinese Superman means to people in China, and Asian Americans? Is “New Super-Man” even available in China?

I don’t know if the book is officially available in China but I have had some Twitter feedback from some people who I think are in China, but you never know with Twitter. [Laughs] It could be some German dude pretending he’s from China.

But honestly, pretty much all of the feedback that I have received has been pretty positive, from both Asian Americans and Chinese readers. I haven’t had a ton from Chinese readers, but from Asian Americans, a lot of them seem to really like the book.

>I have a nerdy, grammatical punctuation question for you. Why is ‘Super-Man’ hyphenated in “New Super-Man”?

[Laughs] This is what I gather, because I actually didn’t come up with the hyphen — Geoff Johns liked it. Again, when Superman first came on the scene, the hyphen was there, and Batman had the hyphen, too, and then eventually, the hyphens disappeared. I do like the hyphens, and Geoff wanted to bring them back. Jim Lee wanted an Asian hero within the Superman family, and those two things came together.

I think the hyphen has a very interesting place with Chinese American history. There are actually two major ways of Romanizing Chinese names, and the one that used to be popular is called Wade–Giles. Whenever you took a Chinese word or a Chinese phrase and you brought it into English, you would just have hyphens all over the place. For a real long time, hyphens were just associated with Chinese words written in English.

Now, the more popular way to do it is called pinyin, and that got rid of the hyphen. It’s almost like they were ashamed of the hyphen. I think it’s kind of interesting to have hyphens in book about a Chinese superhero just because, like you said — this is super nerdy — but because of the strange and colorful history of hyphens within English Romanization. I think it’s kind of fun to have it in there.

>So I guess Mingming is an example of pinyin. Man, this has turned into grammar lesson! [Laughs].

Yes. That’s actually the name of someone that I knew when I was growing up, and I like it. But yes, in Wade–Giles, it would be capital M ‘Ming’ and then hyphen and then ‘ming.’ And in pinyin, it would be capital M ‘Ming’ and then lower case m ‘ming,’ all one word.

>Mingming and her superior, Dr. Omen, work for the Ministry of Self Reliance. While it’s obviously a fictionalized agency, how grounded in reality is it?

The inspiration for the Ministry of Self Reliance is two things. The first is, we wanted a Chinese version of A.R.G.U.S., so it’s definitely rooted more in the DC Universe than it is in actual Chinese politics.

The second thing is that there was this movement in China known as the Self-Strengthening Movement in the late 1800s, when China was really losing a lot of power to Western influences, and this was their response to the West. This is how they responded to Western power, with this movement of self-reliance. In a lot of ways, the Ministry of Self Reliance is the China of the DCU’s response to DCU’s superpowers in the West

>In “New Super-Man” #3, Dr. Omen confronts August General in Iron and openly mocks the Great Ten, saying China has passed them by — they just haven’t realized it yet, and that’s why New Super-Man and the Justice League of China are needed. Why did you create the Justice League of China as opposed to reimagining the pre-existing Great Ten for DC Rebirth?

I really like the Great Ten, and I think they are really interesting characters – they’re fascinating characters, but there are some problematic elements to some of them. The nuances of the characters maybe outweigh the problematic elements. Maybe. But it was given before we started “New Super-Man” that China already had its own super team, namely the Great Ten.

I read the Great Ten bible that Grant Morrison had written, and a lot of it was rooted in bureaucracy. It’s a funny thing, but whenever the Great Ten needs to do something, they have to fill out all of the paperwork. It’s very much how old school Chinese communism worked, but China is changing at such a rapid pace. The way that the Chinese describe it is trying to feel your path along stone in a river. They’re just trying to feel one stone to the next. What they are right now is some kind of weird hybrid between old school Chinese communism and something much more modern.

Within the “New Super-Man” story, the Great Ten represent the old way of doing things – the more standard, Chinese communist government way of doing things. The Ministry of Self Reliance and the Justice League of China represent this hybrid model that I think China is in the midst of figuring out.

>In keeping with the exploration of the old versus the new, we also have a really interesting relationship unfolding between Kenan and his father, who, as we have learned, is far more than a simple mechanic.

That’s really the central relationship of the first arc – Kenan and his dad. They really represent the yin and yang of a moral tension. Some people love humans more than humanity, and other people love humanity more than humans. Meaning some people are able to love the concrete people around them, but they could care less about wider society, and other people have and are devoted to a lot of ideals about society, but they have a hard time loving the people who are actually concrete around them.

I would say Kenan is the extreme of the first. He basically just loves the concrete person that he, himself, is. He’s, like, super selfish — at least at the beginning of the story. His father is the exact opposite. His father is completely devoted to ideals to the point that he can’t even spare any sort of emotional energy, even for his own son. American Superman – as he exists in the modern world – represents an ideal that’s in the middle. He cares about concrete people who are not himself. The journey is going to be about how Kenan finds balance between the yin and yang that he and his father represent.

>Finally, the final page of “New Super-Man” #3 reveals the latest real threat to Kenan — the Freedom Fighters of China led by the awesome Flying Dragon General. I love their look, and I love their names.

They are obviously inspired by the Freedom Fighters of the DC Universe that were originally created by Will Eisner. Uncle Sam, Phantom Lady, Black Condor, Doll Man – all of them have a Chinese analog, and we’ll show all of them by the end of the story arc. What they represent is valuing ideals over actual, concrete human beings. It’s another part of that yin and yang equation. Kenan is super selfish and only cares about himself. These people care so much about other people that they actually value ideals over actual human beings.

The end

>Some problematic elements to some of them
He means Mother of Many, doesn't he?

I'm sure he's just referring to how a lot of elements of the team are built around stereotypes.

>The first is, we wanted a Chinese version of A.R.G.U.S.,

Should just bring back Cadmus.

>the Self-Strengthening Movement
That is a bad omen if you know your Chinese history

she is not. she the tangent version of zatanna/lois depending on which origin you believe.

>the Great Ten bible that Grant Morrison had written

Well given the current glorious leader of the CCP wants to turn the clock back to 1976 and has embarked on a period of repression unseen since probably Tiananmen, I don't think it seems to be unintentional either. He is very much highlighting the tension and contradiction of the Chinese experience of modernity since you know since the Opium Wars.

To be more polite they are built on singular elements of Chinese culture that may or may not inform the current Chinese worldview.

If you seriously think Xi has enough pull to consolidate his power to that extend you need to stop going to Cred Forums

I don't go to Cred Forums.

But Xi is certainly more powerful than Hu/Wen and has sidelined the more technocratic Li and has certainly engaged in more heavy handed crackdowns of elements of civil outside the control of the CCP and turned against the elements of the CCP (under the guise of anti-corruption) not under his authority.

I don't go to Cred Forums.

But Xi is certainly more powerful than Hu/Wen and has sidelined the more technocratic faction represented by Li and has certainly engaged in more heavy handed crackdowns of elements of civil society outside the control of the CCP and turned against the elements of the CCP (under the guise of anti-corruption) not under his authority.

It's not that he's Asian, it's that he's a complete ass. There was NO reason for the Chinese Illuminati to pick him, he's untrained, incompetent, utterly without respect, thinks with his dick and acts surprised when people call him on it, and Cred Forums loves him because "he's smug." LIKE THAT'S A POSITIVE CHARACTER TRAIT TO BEGIN WITH!

Are you saying that it won't?

It is if it's actually pandering.

There is literally nothing wrong with characters having negative traits

In fact, it's a good thing!

But they're not good characters.

Yes, negative traits do not make a bad character. Nothing but negative traits does, though. As Kenan is now, he is 100% unlikable trash.

Except he isn't nothing but negative traits. We've seen how cold and emotionally distant his father is and it was explained that he was deliberately picking on the kid whose family owned the airline that his mother was on. He's already making progress and has shown that he would do the right thing in the clutch.

You really sound like a complete idiot that's hating just to hate right now.

I love that the Monkey King references are deliberate

He by no means is going to go back to 1976 styles of control though
It is yet to see what Xi is planning to do

None of that is a character trait, that's background.

You are correct but I was assuming you had the intellectual capacity to draw the conclusions for yourself on how something like an emotionless absent father or a tragically killed mother could create a character trait

Never said he was going to be successful.

But he clearly wants to restore the primacy of the party and the importance of the position of chairman. All that Xi memorabilia just didn't come out of nowhere.

And destroying other factions of the party under the guise of popular support in the name of cleaning the party was a tactic that Mao pioneered. Instead of rightists and counter-revolutionaries, he is using anti-corruption as a cudgel to control the party.

I love shit like New Super-Man

Something about a comic that takes a pre-existing idea and mixes up the setting is always interesting to me. JL3K was pretty great in that way too. And some of the Marvel Noir books

Please tell me JSA of China is a joke.
Please tell me they won't call it the Justice Leagues of America of China.

Wasn't Ami-Comi Jade Chinese too.
Speaking of which, that's on Permanent hiatus and not cancelled right?

But the Black Panther book isn't very good.

user it was cancelled like 3 years ago