Is it me or superheroes in current movies are more "super" than "heroes"? it's alwys about battling villains now

is it me or superheroes in current movies are more "super" than "heroes"? it's alwys about battling villains now.

i miss scenes where they do their best to save civilians, last good one i remember was in IM3 when tony saved all these falling people.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q2oNwxYO2AQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I know that is a troll image, but no one is that stupid right?

guess i picked dumb image, sorry. couldnt find anything good.

The director of that crap admitted he's a furry.

>it's alwys about battling villains now.
>now
Hey casual.

And?

I can't believe people take anything James Gunn says seriously. He's been trolling people online for a good fucking decade.

i dunno, i liked when in first Iron Man he flew to save some random people.

But it's true.

Keeping Zod's attention on himself was the absolute best thing Clark could have done, had he tried to save people individually by hand, he would have to tone down his speed or risk his velocity harming them (note quicksilver bracing Mags's neck in DOFP) and likely Zod could have just ripped them out of his arms.

Clark never punched/pushed or threw Zod into any building in Metropolis. Worst he did by hand was dragging Zod's face thru some windows as a spontaneous reaction to the building opposite.

Letting the oil truck go by was a accident, him turning back up in horror at the explosion proves he didn't realize the danger it posed while so focused on Zod.
And in the end he was proven right as Zod punches him down the instant his back is turned, he could have started blitz attacking civilians.

In Smallville Clark grabbed Faora and tried to leap out of town & Non tackled him, later he punched Non into the train yard which was not ideal but still better then main street.

Pic related, in Metropolis he took Zod to the very edge of down town when he let loose with the full power blows in the sky, then Zod swerved back in & hid.

And of course in BVS Clark learned from his mistakes in the Black Zero event and took DD into space almost immediately after DD tossed him into a single building.

>as a spontaneous reaction to the building opposite.
My bad it should say...
>as a spontaneous reaction Zod punching him into the building opposite.

Well, The Avengers 1 it was pretty much them saving all of New York from aliens. Thats about as superhero as it gets.

>Superman gud superhero, he dindu nothing!

youtube.com/watch?v=q2oNwxYO2AQ

I was mostly fine with the destruction in MoS until that moronic HE SAVED US moment along with Clark kissing Lois.

>inb4 well he did save the whole world

Irrelevant. Jenny is trying to shoehorn in an inspiring Superman moment surrounded by the wreckage of 17 9/11's with the fucking dust cloud still settling. From visual storytelling standpoint it was cartoonishly discordant.

You can tell us he saved the world, but that's a meaningless amorphous statement, vague screenwriting stakes. What we see on the screen, what Snyder chose to show us, was ridiculous.

The visuals you choose to show on screen matter.

No he made mistakes (not looking up & seeing the 711 when rage tackling Zod) but overall he did the best thing he could and stopped the threat.

>i miss scenes where they do their best to save civilians
Superman saved a guy falling from a helicopter in Man of Steel. Batman moved Doomsday to a location where there were no civillians. The Doomsday attack had one confirmed civilian death: Clark Kent.

No it wasn't ridiculous in any manner, it showed the stakes and weight of the events and showed what would have happened to every inch of the earth had Clark not prevailed.

> it showed the stakes and weight of the events

Mmm yes, all 0.5 seconds of self-reflection we got before the movie inexplicably tried to make that moment inspiring. Just make out on those dead bodies guys, really giving the proper weight and feel to this scene. How heroic, HE SAVED US.

It was of the few times a somber, hyper-serious tone would have really fit and Snyder can't even get that right.

Too late, Gunn.

But that makes sense right? His whole thing is weird offbeat sci-fi comedy. You ever seen Slither?

autism

When there's a supervillain running around STILL KILLING MORE PEOPLE, the way to save civilians is to stop the supervillain. Superman isn't God, he can't do both at the same time.

Clark stopping the world engine was inspiring.
"Krypton had its chance"
&
"He saved us"
Were meant to be bittersweet.

>Just make out on those dead bodies guys
They kissed in desperation for comfort & stability seconds after almost being torn apart atom by atom in a black hole. Their was no time between when he saved her, landed & embraced for them to take note of their surroundings.

What bugs me is how casually the heroes in Marvel movies murder people who are essentially defenseless against them.

I'm worried WB is gonna have Wonder Woman doing the same thing in her movie.

>What bugs me is how casually the heroes in Marvel movies murder people who are essentially defenseless against them.
Wat?

From the few clips, shes disarming them and just knocking them out. But ive seen her thrown someone with her lasso
I dont think shes gonna straight up throw people off helicarriers or shooting them.

Age of Ultron opens with the Avengers killing like a hundred people and at no point do they seem to be in any danger.

Captain America fucking road-hauls a guy!

James Gunn has directed a total of three feature length movies.

None of them have been masterpieces, -- they're all very middle-brow. They're smart without being sublime, and most of them have achieved some level of cult status.

Maybe he's not a particularly ambitious director, but he has yet to make anything that is actually bad.

If he spends the entirety of his career doing exactly what he's been doing so far, I will have no complaints.

Never saw anything that looked like a death.

Hail Hydra

I'd say Slither was genuinely hilarious, some bad CGI aside.

Super would have been great if it ended three minutes earlier.

Just because they don't explode into a cloud of red mist doesn't mean those guys are walking away from a hit from the goddamned Hulk.

>Clark stopping the world engine was inspiring.
A REALLY great scene.

the movies are mostly made for american audiences and american society has forgotten the notion of heroics and idealism. They just want to watch the good guy beat up the bad guy with a lot of lasers and explosions and super punches that smash things with huge bass hum. Thinking about responsibility and the long term consequences of your actions or the value existential concepts is too frustrating.

Thats why captain america movies are lame and Ironman is more popular. Because Ironman stories are about shooting lasers at robots and Cap stories are supposed to be about self-sacrifice, making hard decisions and inspiring the viewer to hold themselves to a higher standard for the betterment of themselves and society (which then gets cut for more punching).

>Thats why captain america movies are lame
But the aren't.
WS is universally agreed to be the best Marvel film.

Yes. His first flight was great, too.

people find bastions of unwavering goodness to be unrealistic and it is

a person who toes the grey line but always manages to do the right thing resonates more with people and can appear more heroic than someone who chooses to do the right thing very easily every time

Except Cap is, at least as far as I can see, becoming far and away more popular after Winter Soldier and Civil War. People actually really like the ideals that the character represents, and identify with the struggle of trying to live up to those ideals.

nothing is universally anything. you're using hyperbole to emphasize your personal tastes. Also, its certainly better than the first captain america movie.

I want to cum on Rocket Raccoon's face.

>Just because they don't explode into a cloud of red mist doesn't mean those guys are walking away from a hit from the goddamned Hulk
>implying you can't walk away from le epic hulk smash meme guy xDDD

Go outside, get thrashed, and come back once you have something of actual substance to say.

Its not though.

in the first Iron Man he fought the vietcong you fucking idiot

unless you are a movie casual....

so buttmad that other people found Superman heroic and inspiring. Sorry you didnt man.

Superman saved the entire world by himself

I'm not that user, but what the fuck are you talking about.

Hulk is well established in the movies as being super strong and able to kill people very easily with one punch,

No he didn't. You're paraphrasing.

I liked how in Claremont X-Men, the team usually stuck around for a week or two to help repair everything if they had thrashed a place in a fight. Sure it's cheesy, but it also stops all these dumbass plotlines of "yeah, you save EVERYONE, but then you leave everything in rubble, TONY".

well the superman-zodd battle killed a lot more people than rocket and friends did stopping ronan and his insta life wipe hammer.

Superman literally saved humanity from Zod.

I really liked how in Amazing Spider-Man 2 they had a bunch of good scenes of Spider-Man saving lives. Shame about the rest of the movie, but I like seeing that kind of stuff.

On topic, I'd like to leave a Superman movie feeling uplifted, rather than solemn or depressed. There's obviously an audience for the new Superman movies, and I'm fine to leave them to it, but they just aren't for me.

Awww, poor Hydra goons, all they wanted was mass genoicide :(!!!!!

Marvel "heroes" have a twisted "morality," but DC heroes are actually heroes. This causes outrage (for better or worse) when they kill people.

Not counting what the world engine did or the scout ship crashing no it did not.
Only 1 building fully fell during their one on one fight. While the entire Zandar fleet was incinerated.

>and I'm fine to leave them to it
God bless you for being this kind of fair generous person, have a great rest of 2016. (genuinely)

Didn't he direct the Scoobie-doo movies?

He literally let metropolis burn.

>let
No.

Wrote, not directed. He also wrote Lollipop Chainsaw.

He didn't even attempt to stop that truck. There's at least a dozen people dead in that webm.

Fucking Superman Returns was better at showing Superman save people.

I want Rocket Raccoon to cum on my face.

I wanna cuddle with Rocket and pet his ears

I want you faggots to get AIDS and die.

0w0 user what's wrong?

This rodent I shoved up my ass is really starting to bother me.

thats not true at all,

Zod killed people, sure, he is a bad guy, but Rocket and his friends were responsible for a prison riot and let the entire Zander fleet die.

Nah, the city was pretty much evacuated at that point. Remember Perry and Jenny running around with everyone else leaving the city?

And Superman was fully focused on Zod, trying to keep his attention on him. What your webm is missing is that right when Clark turns around to look at the deconstruction, Zod takes advantage of it and attacks him.

Nice try though.

He's James Gunn. He worked with Troma pictures.

Being a furry is a piss in the ocean.

>i don't read comics

I guess that applies to most posts in this thread, but yours stuck out for me.

You can't evacuate a city that's supposed to represent New York in 10 or 20 mins. You can't even evacuate a city that size in an hour. It would take the better part of a day because people want to take all their shit, or there's traffic jams or other problems.

Stop making excuses for this shitty movie.

Hulk just punched tanks. Getting hit across the face by Thor, yeah, that's lethal. Although those guys were in body armor.

Hawk guy got shot in intro.

Also, the avengers aren't pussies. They will kill a honkey if they want to.

Not the whole city needed to be evacuated, its not like Perry or Jenny left city limits, but if you remember the beginning of BvS, it shows that most people were out of that area of metropolis and viewed most of the fight from afar.

But regardless, part of the point of BvS is that many people share the same view you do, that it was superman's fault all the collateral damage happened, and because of that the cripple guy wanted to get revenge on Superman.

>(note quicksilver bracing Mags's neck in DOFP)
Which is funny, because he does that to pretty much no one else in Apocalypse

Yeah, it's weird that people call the DCEU the "murderverse" when Marvel heroes kill just as much, if not more.
Honestly, I would prefer if neither universes heroes were killers.

It's a fake city you don't know shit about their evacuation plan bitch.

Its writen in a bit of a cringy way its clearly designed for the facebook audience but the auctual point it makes is correct.

Shame about taking the fight into smallvile

>miss scenes where they do their best to save civilians
That's not very interesting anymore, the mother faux-nihilistic, jaded, pseudo-intellectual audiences of today are too desensitized to find those kind of scenes interesting.

>mother
Modern*

Save them? You think they have saved anyone? You would be wrong. Taking on their challenges weakens them. Their paths are set. Giving them what they have not earned is like pouring sand into their hands. What if, by allowing them to live another day, they bring an even greater darkness upon another?

>Superman isn't God

Not according to MoS

>Try reading some comics that star Rocket Raccoon
>Then discover how shitty Marvel is at drawing drawing Raccoons

Superman saves the world in MOS and somehow still isn't a hero. Frick off.

Oh, man, that's perfection. Well played, user, well played.

But saving people was a big part of Age of Ultron.

The rest of the world don't count as civilians? cuz i'm pretty sure billions would have died if Superman let the kryptonians do their thing with the engine.

All of those movies are about saving the world from one thing or another, why do people bring up Superman doing it like it's something special?

Xandar also had bilions of civilians
not counting other planets Ronan would wipe out if not defeated there and then
so yes, Rocket saved more souls than Murderman

One of the things people bitching about MoS don't realize is even law enforcement training say to deal with the threat before trying to help people. Trying to before dealing with the threat will just get yourself or even more people killed.

Superman is alone while Rocket had the Guardians and Nova Corps.

What even is your point here? Rocket doesn't fucking have Superman's powers.

True but Rocket has the power of friendship

He literally did not. He openly makes fun of furries, though.

Ah Slither.
Not available on Blu-ray, but is available on HDDVD

If it was up to Rocket he would have left everyone to die.
He was just there to help cause he was pretty much peer pressured into by his friends.

Obviously outside of Civil war we never see them try to really stop crime they seem to just bum around until a villain shows up instead of trying to be a little more proactive and try to take down terrorists or human traffickers though to be fair the movies have a limited amount of time to tell a story so they can't focus on the smaller things

AoU made a pretty big deal of saving people, they dedicated like 45 minutes to that. And it was kind of shit. It felt like too much of a meta reaction to MoS, precisely.
BvS went the other way of that meta reaction by simply stating civilians weren't in immediate danger. And it was kind of shit too.
Civil War played with the idea of collateral damage and that still felt reactionnary to the MoS thing.

I'm kind of bored of this narrative honestly. Heroes should save people but right now it's too much the center of the narrative.

>the movies have a limited amount of time to tell a story so they can't focus on the smaller things
Cape movies these days are almost 3 hour long, most cape movies under 2 hours have scenes of heroes saving civilians.