Time Warner chairman-CEO Jeff Bewkes told investors Wednesday that there is “a little room for improvement” in the...

>Time Warner chairman-CEO Jeff Bewkes told investors Wednesday that there is “a little room for improvement” in the creative execution of Warner Bros.’ DC Comics movie slate. But he stressed that the two titles released to date have been financially successful and have achieved the larger strategic goal of reinvigorating classic DC characters for a new generation of moviegoers.

>Referencing the lukewarm critical response to this year’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Suicide Squad,” Bewkes admitted during his Q&A at Goldman Sachs’ Communacopia investor conference: “The DC Comics characters … have a little more lightness in them than maybe what you saw in those movies, so we’re thinking about that.”

>Bewkes said the studio has enlisted DC Comics entertainment president Geoff Johns and production guru Jon Berg to take a firm hand in guiding the upcoming DC releases. But he sees no reversal in Warner Bros.’ ambitious plan for releasing a string of DC-branded tentpoles through 2020, with “Wonder Woman” and “Justice League” to come next year.

>“The strategy worked,” Bewkes said. “The execution did deliver what we wanted to do. We can do a little better on the creative. … We’re right on course or better” with the plan, he said, citing “Suicide Squad’s” legs at the box office. To date the pic released in August has grabbed about $720 million at the worldwide box office.

>“The main thing was to launch DC and reinvigorate it with the fan base,” he said. “The reboot of Batman with Ben Affleck (in the role) was a big success.” He also noted that the fan reaction to actress Gal Gadot’s debut as the Wonder Woman character in “Batman v Superman” has been positive.

Sad

>a little room
>little
lmao, every DCEU movie needed a page one rewrite

This the WB CEO user, those quotes are like the Hollywood equivalent of a seppuku

Then why is he even commenting on how much everyone shit on these movies in the first place?

Everyone can read between the lines.

>Sad
Explain. What I see is a company aiming to improve. Does it remind you of something?

For admitting there's room for improvement?

Since when is the arrogant behavior of certain people in Sony and WB the norm? Why is it suicide for a WB CEO to acknowledge there's room for improvement?

I think more than anything I'm just glad that they are admitting mistakes were made. They could have gone full Snyder and been like "people just don't understand" but they admit there is room for improvement

That doesn't make up for the whole "fuck lighthearted things, we're DEEP" mindset they had during the MoS-BvS time period but hey, it's something.

They wouldn't need to "aim to improve" if they didn't make stupid director/writer decisions and micromanage their films to the point of needing the movie equivalent of DLC to make them somewhat decent

>Why is it suicide for a WB CEO to acknowledge there's room for improvement?
Maybe not for the CEO, but it is a suicide to anybody who truly bought into the kino/underrated masterpieces memes

Just because the CEO want to please both critics and the audience, and he does acknowledge that the movies were a hit with audiences, that doesn't mean that the past movies were awful. Just that those movies were not a hit with the critics and that they're aiming to improve on that.

I'm actually worried, because i don't want them to start playing safe in a gambit to please the critics. Most critics are fucking dumb.

>But he stressed that the two titles released to date have been financially successful and have achieved the larger strategic goal of reinvigorating classic DC characters for a new generation of moviegoers

>the two titles

>Man of Steel
>Batman vs Superman
>Suicide Squad

>two titles

This is an accurate quote from Variety, by the way. Two titles. Not like them to get something so obvious so wrong. And he's talking about Suicide Squad right there in the same speech.

BvS confirmed for overpriced flop.

New 52 wasn't remotely as bas as the DCEU actually is.

In fact, there were a pretty solid amount of great comics out of it.

I honestly can't even think of anything redeeming about the DCEU. Maybe Affleck, but I honestly think he just stood out with a solid performance because the rest of BvS was so atrocious.

>They wouldn't need to derka derka
And? When you make mistakes you get up and try again.

>New 52 wasn't remotely as bas as the DCEU actually is.
Subjective.

Le ebin flop meme.

Suicide Squad was fine.

The New 52 ruined 80% of DC characters. Including Wildstorm and Milestone Media.

Not even the biggest DCEU shill believes SS was good. Not even Cred Forums is willing to be that contrarian.

Talk is cheap.

Get Zack Snyder out of your studio and promise the exec meddling we saw on SS will never happen again or fuck off.

So how will you react if / when JL is a piece of shit?

Is that the last chance?

I guarantee they will absolutely fuck off until these movies stop making money.

But it was. Are you a nu-male cuck like the AV Club?

Having a girl in booty shorts does not make a movie bad, and Ghostbusters was shit

Mouseketeer pls

>Are you a nu-male cuck like the AV Club?
Yes. I am a nu-male just like all Warner shills.

Why are you guys so angry that people liked a movie you didnt? And that it did well financially?

Also the guy is obviously talking about BvS and SS as the two titles, since MoS was made before the conception of a cinematic universe.

>a franchise only three movies in is only gonna get better
>other news when its rains you get wet

You're right, having a girl in booty shorts doesn't make a movie bad. Having fifteen different rock songs in the first fifteen minutes, on the other hand, can make your movie very bad.

>since MoS was made before the conception of a cinematic universe.

No it wasn't you fucking idiot.

MoS was always intended to be their Iron Man. The launch point.

Well, it can't possibly get worse.

>Why are you guys so angry that people liked a movie you didnt? And that it did well financially?

I'm not angry. I'm just a lifelong DC fan and this movies are complete garbage and I wish anons wouldn't pretend that they're not compete garbage so they can be improved.

I don't care that people liked shitty movies. The Transformer movies do well too.

But the thing is I actually like DC Comics. So to see the characters treated like this is annoying, especially given how great they could be if they weren't all dictated by a 12 year old boy trapped in a 50 year old's body.

And honestly, it really bothers me that Snyder is the one to bring Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash and the Justice League in general to cinemas. That means there is an entire generation of kids that will grow up thinking his monotone garbage will be how to actually write these characters.

You know, if you are not enjoying yourself, you can, I dunno, get out.

>i can't properly respond to this user so i'll just say a blanket statement that can be applied to anything
ok

Think hard about what you just posted user

Based batman

>Then why is he even commenting on how much everyone shit on these movies in the first place?
Because he legally and fiscally has to. It was at an investors meeting.
If Investors go "Why have I heard this product doing poorly" the CEO has to at least try and justify it or risk them pulling that investment and torpedoing the stock price.

MoS and BvS were top quality films with Suicide Squad being mediocre but still higher than most. The only thing that "needs improvement" is the critics' brains.

Yes user, everyone is wrong but you.

>and promise the exec meddling we saw on SS will never happen again
Why would they promise that? As far as they can tell it worked.

I warned DCEU fans about this. WB only learns the wrong lessons. BvS does well? They'll learn "Audiences only cared once we put in Batman and gave him top billing." SS has legs" The lesson they're gonna take from that is "People want more Batman franchise characters, more pop music, and our meddling worked".

>I'm just a lifelong DC fan
False flag.
>movies are complete garbage
False.

>But the thing is I actually like DC Comics.
False flag #2.

Jesus you are such a fucking brain dead Cred Forums poster it couldn't be more obvious.

>Literally stop bothering my safe space

>nce when is the arrogant behavior of certain people in Sony and WB the norm? Why is it suicide for a WB CEO to acknowledge there's room for improvement?
Investors don't like being told bad news.

>i actually like DC
So do I but I honestly don't see where you're coming from.

>MoS was always intended to be their Iron Man. The launch point.
Technically that was Green Lantern.

Then it was MoS

Nah you are. It's obvious that the people who liked the comics like these movies unless they have a thorough misunderstanding of the characters.

They like being kept in the dark even less.
I own two shares of Disney stock. Feels good.

You'd have been better off using the ">not muh" defense

Reminder anyone who defends the movie with:

- its kino
- gal godots scenes were good
- the martha scene was appropriate
- the superbat fight scene made sense within the movies context

isnt someone who actually liked the movie. It's a memer meming the latest dry crusty old Cred Forums meme. They all talk the same, feign aggression and arrogance, and cant explain themselves beyond an elaborate "well if you cant understand the depth of it then i cant help you."

do not reply to them unless you're just real fuckin retarded. which sadly most of Cred Forums is now.

>a little room for improvement

The only argument that doesn't work from that list is "kino" because it has no inherent meaning. You're gonna have to make arguments against the other ones.

Yeah. If critic scores are the only thing that need improvement I'd call that something little.

>looks the critic's score
Look at the audience.

Yeah and that's even with shills/company war fanboys. Imagine how much higher it would be if it was actually fully accurate.

Its more of a Gheoff than Snyder thing now, and boy does he write monotone garbage with JL.

His run on JL had consistent high reviews and was warmly received by critics across most of its 50 issue run. Come again?

I hope Snyder sticks around, he's the most interesting part of the DCEU.

there are shills/fanboys on both sides; either blindly panning or shilling the film. Additionally, Suicide Squad has fallen a good bit.

6X% is a narrow majority.
Remember that these are likely the same dipshits that pay for Bayformers and the like.

I'm not angry, i'm just a lifelong dc fan and these movies are the best thing dc related so far and i wish anons wouldn't pretend that it's impossible to argue that there's merit to them
it always amazes me when people take quotes like these and pass severe judgement on people, especially since the guy is even self deprecating in the quote

and there's nothing wrong with any of the characterization in the movies, in before those completely twisted strawmen

>large amounts of people want Snyder out
>b-but there's still room for improvement guys, Zack is helped by...

Fuck off with your nepotism and blatant damage control.

And if that is true this is why reviewers are full of shit as only a shill could call Johns' Justice League good.

JUSTICE LEAGUE DAWN OF QUIPS

I love all the DCEU movies so far.