Who put the 'glad' in Gladiator?

Oh, I get it. They sing is a gospel style because Hercules is a 'savior', being a hero and everything. A savior like Jesus Christ.

Hercules is Jesus.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EOdqriSeY7k
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-figure_pottery
youtube.com/watch?v=-VQXHqs-qVg
youtube.com/watch?v=zgnHF2CwrPs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The comparison is ineffective since Hercules ultimately rejects his divinity in favor of the earthly

But his dad is divine. And is an old man with a beard who smites things.

It's interesting. The image of god as a big solemn white guy with a beard was cribbed directly from grecoroman depictions of Zeus/Jupiter.

lol
theyre just black

They're gods.

They sing gospel.

Man, front and center could get it.

Hades is the ruler of the underworld so that must mean he's evil, like Satan.

You're an idiot.

It's a modern take on having a "Greek Chorus" explain and exposit like in all the classic plays - Euripides, Sophocles, etc. Except instead of a choir singing about gods and demigods and heroes in the traditional style, it's a gospel group, who ALSO sing about such things.

It's actually pretty clever.

I like the far right one, she's cute and sporty and shows her midriff.

No.

They sing gospel the movie needed narration, so they made all narration done in song. So they made the narrators the demigoddesses of music, and gospel is the main style of music for continuing dialogue along with opera.

Why not opera whuch would be more thematic given the propensity of opera for Rome (which is closer than gospel in theme)? Because gospel is almost invariably happy music, great for a kids cartoon.

It can be argued that since they are depicted as living urn art for much of the movie, the black and earth tones help in the look of singing black women.

WHO'DYA THINK YOU'RE KIDDIN', HE'S THE EARTH AND HEAVIN' TO YA-

Hercules has a more believable origin story.

>Center one

Dayum.

It's also like the movie named Gladiator. Poetry.

It's a black women choir that sings gospel with upbeat electric organ melodies because the director liked Alan Menken, who's known for the use of black women choirs that sing gospel with upbeat electric organ melodies.

e.g.; the little shop of horrors

youtube.com/watch?v=EOdqriSeY7k

Given the story behind Heracles, I guess it's not a bad comparison in the end, OP.

Except Gladiators were Roman.

Hercules (or at least the story they are telling) is Greek.

especially the one to the right

Best Superman movie

>Christians invented religion

You want authenticity? This was the same era in which Disney actually thought it was appropriate to put Eddie Murphy's standard urban-hip, New York black persona into medieval China as a dragon—and name him after a modern Chinese-American food (mushu) created in the 1960s!

Disney was trying very hard to have some ethnic inclusivity, but they weren't yet at the stage when they stopped to think whether the cultural mixing itself might be too far-fetched.

In fairness, Ancient Greece was not a fan of Thanatos. Why would they be, they don't like dying, so the guy in charge of it isn't exactly popular.

Pfft, no. Also, Christ is just pacifist Hercules.

The difference is unlike Greece who got pissy over Hercules, China loved Mulan.

That is like probably the smallest of inaccuracies in this film. I mean, they turned ancient Greece and it's mythology into an analogy for Hollywood and celebrity.
It's such a weird film, conceptually.

That's because modern China is culturally bankrupt due to the Communist regime's attempts to erase all traces of superstition and backward traditions from the last dynasty.

>Greeks and Italians
>white

Or maybe because they knew Disney wasn't trying to be insensitive while Greece gets pissy about anyone getting the slightest details of their mythology wrong.

Except Hercules was basically a Superman/boy movie as a Disney Musical.

Son of a powerful race sent to live amongst humans, raised by farmers, awkward teenage years learning to harness powers, discovering what it means to be a hero, rescuing damsels in distress, falling for intelligent/attractive no bullshit women, etc.

Superman and Rocky, to be fair

Nah the real reason is Jackie Chan was in the mandarin/Cantonese dubs for Mulan, he even sang "Be A Man" in both dialects.

Why must you turn this thread into a house of lies?
Greeks fucking loved to die. Dying young in battle was one of the highest honours a man could achieve, that's why the whole deal in the Ilyad is about giving Patrochlus (or whatever the english translation for that name is) a right funeral.
Also Hades was popular as fuck because he was the one that let the dead INSIDE, he was the broest bro of all. He even resurrected Orpheus wife just because he was moping hard.

>anyone who's not albino
>white

Hades wasn't popular you dolt. The Greeks had no temples dedicated to him, averted their eyes from the earth when making sacrifices to him, avoided saying his name, and celebrated games in his honor only once every 100 years. He wasn't an evil god and his personality was more like an overworked corporate executive than a cartoon villain, but he was still the god of death and superstitious pagans like the Greeks would rather avoid his attention if at all possible.

What about the mystery cults?

They used to be white when they were very successful, but now they're much less successful, making them not-white.

That song gets me every time.

Thanatos =/= Hades
Get it together!

They focused heavily on Demeter and Persephone, who together had powers over life, death, and rebirth. Hades played an important role in the mysteries' backstory and he helped make Persephone into the dualistic life-and-death goddess she became, but he himself did not feature very prominently in the cults iirc

Hades is god of the Underworld. Thanatos is god of death.

Thanatos was the personification of the act of dying, and his twin brother Hypnos was the personification of the act of sleeping. Hades was the god of death in a broader sense, and was feared as such, in addition to being the god of the underworld, the souls of dead mortals, and boss to all the various cthonic deities and godlings that dwelled in the underworld.

>white
Zeus is clearly bronze.

You sure hades didn't play a bigger role?

As god of the underworld, getting a better afterlife kinda depends a lot on that guy.

WE

Did you know that the Disney movie Hercules actually differs from the actual mythology? Betcha didn't know that. I did though, I'm kind of an expert.

In the oldest traditions, our afterlife was determined by how important you were. Important people were ghostly shells of their former selves who spent eternity mournfully reminiscing about their life, while unimportant people became wisp-like beings that flitted around the heroic and important souls like moths around lightbulbs. In other eras and traditions it also mattered whether you were a good person who obeyed the laws of men and gods, and what the Moirae had decreed to be your fate. In these traditions good people could go to the Elysian Fields and live nice if somewhat dull afterlives. Hades mostly just saw to it that this process ran smoothly and that no Titans escaped from Tartarus. He could and would intervene in a person's afterlife in rare exceptional cases, the myth of Orpheus being the most prominent case, but for the most part the living felt they were better off not being noticed by him.

Nice.

That's also why Phil is a satyr. There was a small subgenre of comedies called satyr plays that inserted drunken satyr shenanigans for comic relief. Like a version of the Cyclops episode of the Odyssey where the plan to get the Cyclops drunk so they can poke his eye out nearly gets derailed by a group of satyrs in the cave with Odyseus and pals trying to hog the booze.

They could all get it.

Even the fat one.

They sing gospel because they're BLACK figure pottery coming to life to tell the story.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-figure_pottery

you is all an idiot. I love hercules. It my favourit movie it is. The best movie, I like very many when I am children. Very good, mm. Yeees.

ARE FARMERS

No, they sang gospel because he's a fucking GOD.

I wish the center one was fat.

pottery

I JUST GOT THAT SONG OUT OF MY HEAD.

I JUST. GOT. IT. OUT OF MY HEAD.

You piece of crap, now I'll be humming it for the rest of the week. Fuck you.

but that is not to say that Hades did not have a cult of mystery.
They did, among other things, operate these "caves of hades" where people could pay to go through a tour of the afterlife.
Basically a haunted mansion sort of deal...

Oh and they did some stuff with talking to the dead and all that.

Though in retrospect, I don't think it's possible to even fatten a Muse.

Well yeah, duh.

Hercules -> Hera Cles

Hera Cles -> Hari Krish

Hari Krish -> Krishna

Krishna - > Christa

Christa -> Jesus Christ

This is no coincidence, for there are no coincidences.

Sort-of, there was a lot of co-evolution and convergency all over the place with these old faiths.

Hercules and Zeus are both cognates to Thor - Zeus as a big guy who makes the sky rumble and has a powerful weapon, and Hercules as the son of the highest god and a warrior protagonist.

Center > Center Right > Far Right > Center Left > Shit > Far Left

While I can accept the broader hypothesis that the Chinese will eat shit on a plate if it'll give them a break from communist repression, Mulan does seem detached enough from actual Chinese behaviours, motivations and values to cause distancing.

Compared to a calculatedly safe-product like say Kung Fu Panda - which actually courts chinese familial values rather than opposing them from the first scene onwards - I can easily see Mulan only being liked or tolerated because of its production values and "Americanness".

Or to put it more categorically, Thanatos was the god of dying, Hades was the god of being dead.

It's a distinction similar to that of freedom as-in liberty and freedom as-in gratis. You could even look for Greek god cognates to those very concepts - I'd argue Dionysis is the god of gratis.

It wasn't really a small subgenre. That's where the word tragedy comes from. Tragoidia: Goat song.

>far left
>beyond shit
What's the matter?
Too much woman for you to handle?

You know Zeus, always solemn, never raping

Different person here.

Truthfully, Calliope would make the best fatty. She'd be so fine fat. I would spoil her with decadent hedonism till she was obese.

Never have truer words been written.

No Jesus is populist Mithras

DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN!

No, it just tested well with the negro market

What makes you think she'd be best fatty?

Y'all niggas ignorant.

Greek Myth and Gospel style is an older trope than Hercules.
Oddly, it's not really that off base from ancient Greek theatre, but Gospel services are less of a narrative performance.

youtube.com/watch?v=-VQXHqs-qVg

How is it that this movie has some of the most charming songs, one of the best vocal performances since Robin Williams, and some of the coolest animation but is still just not all that good?

I mean it's not like it's Home on the Range-tier or anything but after it ended I just kind of shrugged.

You are -> a faggot

>Little Shop of Horrors
>that Director's Cut ending

Hercules is a meathead and his villain is a God. There's nothing wrong with that, but it means that there's no clever twist, ala Aladdin, or a really great physical final battle. Hercules wins the day just by being the great guy he always was.

It's not a BAD story, just... not as interesting as some of the other Disney flicks. Hercules' character arc is just more shallow compared to other Disney heroes. Meg is the one who changes the most over the course of the story, but she doesn't get enough screentime for this change to be as meaningful as it could be.

youtube.com/watch?v=zgnHF2CwrPs

Best Disney song for me.

Weirdly enough, she also had a big part of one of the animated series episodes when Hercules had trouble learning to dance.

Everyone apparently made a big deal out of the fact Herc met a muse.

Best facial structure, best hair, best outfit.

And to make my point....

My crude, ultra-primitive edit.

Meg also makes for a phenomenal fatty

That she does. She rounds out well, like a Greek babe who discovered decadence and hedonism.

How long do you think you would last in the world of Greek myths?

happysnyder.jpg

Especially the fat one

Pretty long, I'd mostly just sit indoors and write insults on pots. Unless some whore like pic related nuked the whole city.

LITTLE SHOP, LITTLE OF HORRORS

Probably long. I'd spend all my time promoting hedonism and gluttony in women, turning 'em into fatties.

Yeah, OK, I can see it.

Looks like Adephagia (gluttony) and Hedone (pleasure) worked together on her. They taught her the bliss of being a pig.

TV show was full of good waifus

If anything he's like Samson. But maybe Disney is just Religousist

I hate how my zodiac is just a guy with a bucket of water. And he's a righteous dickhead. I want to be a Libra.

except God in the bible at lest tried ti put io airs of benevolence in the new testament

Zeus was just a raping cheating jealous angry asshole in greek mythology

DON'T FEED THE PLAAAANTS

Did black people/African Americans even exist back then?

Wops have literally never been white.

>Did African Americans even exist back then?
kek

>rose quartz.jpg

Yeah pretty much

>Dat bigness

It's just kinda generic.

>Zeus was just a raping cheating jealous angry asshole in greek mythology

Yeah but that's because it makes sense for a god to be like that. Back then, why would the gods operate in ways you can't fathom? How are you supposed to know what to do or how to act when shit goes south if all you're told is "god works in mysterious ways?"

It's a lot easier to understand where your god is coming from if he acts like a king on a power trip.

I don't think they were invented back then.

Also, women were basically property in Ancient Greece. Zeus going around nailing everything with a hole between its legs wasn't considered a big problem. Heck, having a god screw your wife was even kind of an honor.

You aren't trying hard enough

>YWN hang out with with the cult of Dionysus
>YWN meet fat, drunken female hedonists who constantly have orgies
>you were born too late for qt thicc greek waifus

Feels bad man

He could literally turn into rape mist. Dude was a baller

In the modern day we focus on the aspects that portray Zeus as a total asshole because those are the dramatic parts, but Zeus was also a god of justice. For example, he was the protector of hospitality/guest friendship. Talking about him making sure a host who mistreated a guest got punished isn't as immediately interesting as talking about him turning into a swan and raping someone.

We did NOT get pissy over Hercules. We got pissy over Troy and Alexander. Get your outrage facts straight, man.

Fatties are not 'thicc'.

I definitely remember articles talking about how the movie was exploitative of Greek culture.

Troy was a fine movie and Alexander's worst sin was being bland.

you forgot zeus's notorius philandering

treasure was also his domain, he was an utter kike

eh its not that far up google 'pompei grafiiti' gladiators had sponsorship deals with businesses (roman I know but rome stole a lot of culture from greece) the old world was different but people haven't changed as much as we'd like to think

We can always dream.

Its just a movie

Well, the lady who voiced Meg voices RQ, so... yeah.

Hol' up now, let me tell you about these people called the proto-indo europeans