Buster Brown may be the most horrific thing in existence

Buster Brown may be the most horrific thing in existence.

A abject Edwardian Horror Mr Gorey could scarcely hope to dream up.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bV0zknLPPjo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is this a comedy about late 1800s comics?

When did this come out? I literally cannot tell if this is ancient or new.

It's Edwardian, and completely sincere, which adds to the horror.

How did people find this shit cute?

They weren't allowed not to

Explain further plz. How long was this shit popular

People are going to be saying the same thing about early CGI after enough time.

I know, even modern CGI infact. I tried watching attack of the clones last night and the CGI was so chunky and outdated i couldnt take it seriously.

Cocaine was legal back then.

>Cocaine was legal back then.
What a time to be alive

Rule34 when?

Oh, and while we're talking about now-creepy shit from the early twentieth century on a cartoon board, does anyone else kind of get the heebie jeebies from some of Emile Cohl's stuff?

youtube.com/watch?v=bV0zknLPPjo

fuuuuck.

>mfw thrist for blood

>Go on Wikipedia page
This shit isn't subtle

Seriously, what the fuck?

Older CGI already looks terrible, but it never reached the Buster Brown Trench of the Uncanny Valley.

There's actually a very specific reason buster brown and a lot of other children's content at the time was so fucking intense. You see, during this time there was a shift in child raising from ambivalence to intrusiveness. What this means is that in antiquity, child raising was a horrible nightmare where more often than not they killed kids and raped them and they were seen as less than human. Pepole raised like that perpetuated the cycle. Eventually it changed to abandonment so you saw the rise in monastic fosterling care, where children would get beat and rsped, but not killed outright. Eventually those people grew up into ambivalent, or traditionally abusive, parents who kept their kids around but still saw them as objects that would occasionally be molested or basically used as free labor. In between that time and the rise of normal social child raising, there was an intrusive era of child raising which is basically the Victorian kind of raising where the kids every action and thought is controlled by the parent.

So essentially when buster brown came out it was between the time when child abuse was the norm and child control abuse was getting more normalized. So a lot of content in that era was specifically meant to traumatized children into subservience, and it worked remarkably well considering a lot of the authors were traumatized themselves. It was more or less unintended, but the intent is specified in a number of different sources of the time. It was not so much to scare children as much as to put them in a certain kind of fearful mindset thst would male them easier to mold.

Childhood in history is all kinds of fucked up, man.

he looks like he lacks eyelids
they should make a live-adaption of this
>a horror movie set in the 1800's

I'm an Egyptologist and I call bullshit on that. Ancient Egyptians cared deeply about their children, and rarely even abandoned them, let alone commited infanticide or rape. Where do you get this silly idea that in Antiquity people were all monsters? They were people just like us, with all the same feelings and flaws.

Well, unless they were a warrior society. Then they were North Korea.

Because it was purely based on resources, which tribalist societies did not really have. Infanticide as a concept is a constant in antiquity as well as child sacrifice, and even today people do it, particularly in India where a second daughter will usually be killed. It's not that parents did not care for their children in some respect, but they did not think of them in the same way we think of children. The mortality rate alone outside of infanticide would require that kind of separation.

After the rise of cities though instead of death there was a focus on hardening, Greeks dipping newborns in cold water to harden them and forcing toddlers to run out in the snow, that kind of thing. However, this isn't universal, just very general.

Humans in antiquity weren't monsters, but they absolutely had different standards in terms of child rearing.

N-no Buster, I'm not interested. Please understand. Don't look at me like that.

>notice the glass is on the other side

From the early 1900s. A lot of boys dressed like Buster and the shoes were mad popular. They was a Saturday morning kid's show that was sponsored by Buster Brown shoes. The original host died so they got Andy Devine.

It was sincere, but there was definitely a sense of humour to it. Very tongue in cheek, even if we don't get all the jokes today.

I had a book of those strips when growing up for some reason. It was weird, but I liked it.