Heathcliff plays with yarn

Heathcliff plays with yarn.

Who's talking here?

Exactly

if you were a REAL heathcliff fan, you'd know he never talks in the comics

fucking casual

Heathcliff doesn't, but generally speaking, it's one background character talking to another while making an observation of what Heathcliff is doing. In this case, Mr. Nutmeg is presumably talking straight to Heathcliff which is pretty non-standard.

>You're a big ball of yarn.

But Heathcliff's looking straight out the window, implying there's someone out there.

Huh, you're right. That's pretty spooky.

The joke is that Heathcliff's owner is exhausted from a long day, and Heathcliff is trying to cheer him up by cutely playing with yarn. His owner however is too exasperated to enjoy it, and suggests that Heathcliff will have to do better.

Does this cartoon imply that the ball of yarn enjoys it?

WHERE'S THE JOKE, GALLAGHER?

When he smashes a watermelon

I miss the beard saga

Yes.

...I got it...I understand now

I was over thinking everything about this strip but I get heathclif now!

heathclif is a weirdo that's the joke
he does abnormal things is fully 100% the joke
its like absurdist humor by a guy whose never seen absurdist humor

but there's more the art is terrible at displaying things but its very consistent so everything seems like its drawn on purpose especially with its minimalist style

here's my attempt at a heathclif comic

10/10

still overthinking it man; your cartoon is funny

Holy shit
That's it
A Heathcliff scholar

You accidentally made a comic with a joke, 7/10

He's talking to himself, as his method of stopping Heathcliff from going outside and making a nuisance of himself (the yarn) isn't enough.

The subtitle is all wrong. Try "Balancing act."

>its like absurdist humor by a guy whose never seen absurdist humor
This is a good conclusion.

However you are overthinking it from Cred Forums's perspective. We don't like it because of the actual content. It could be a blank page for all we care. It just mustn't have a joke such that uninitiated anons will ask "what's the joke" and we can lead them on that there is a joke.

Ok here's my 2nd attempt with hopefully less of a joke

Is this a euphamism?

It's almost perfect but you must have been half asleep when you wrote that sentence.

Is heathcliff rule 34 as boring too?

Not if it's cleo

Obviously, the joke is that Heathcliff is doing his standard non-antics when the usual peanut gallery makes their usual snide comment. Only this time, the only other living being in the strip is passed out. Heathcliff can't figure out where the voice came from.

hahaha

The caption's too weak. Heathcliff is not a world of 'feel' or 'maybe' it's bold and brash, in your face certainty in a world of madness

Did I do good?

Why does Basedcliff grow a white beard?

Is it implying that he's actually really old?

You have to let go of your childish attachment to rationality and reality before your mind can rise to the plane of existence on which Gallagher operates.

This one really perplexes me. Like, unironically speaking, what could he have possibly meant by this?

Gallagher, is that you?

>heathclif is a weirdo that's the joke
>he does abnormal things is fully 100% the joke
>its like absurdist humor by a guy whose never seen absurdist humor

You can really see this with the Garbage Ape stuff:

1. Gallagher observes that in real life cats sometimes get into trash cans for food and knock them over.

2. He thinks it would be funny if cats intentionally attach trash cans.

3. He thinks it would be funny and absurd if they worship some kind of entity that attacks trash cans.

4. Garbage Ape is born.

5. Garbage Ape itself becomes increasingly absurd and detached from the original premise.

shorten the caption to "Too much time on his hands". The captions must not be verbose, but straight, to the point, and lacking in modifiers that identify the speaker or how they think/feel about the situation.
Heathcliff captions are pure statements of observed truth.

I thinks its the audience talking. Heathcliff tries to distract him with ball of yarn but he's just got back from work

Proof that post-modernism was a mistake.

Yeah, this is what I took from it. Grandpa Nutmeg doesn't appear to be speaking and Heathcliff is looking outside the window as if in confusion.

you're kidding right?
Heathcliff is awesome. Also I'm pretty sure the artist isn't aware that he makes an absurdist comic.

You almost got it with this one. Remember that whoever is making the comment is usually saying it to someone else. When it's Iggy, he's usually speaking to his one friend.

Otherwise, pretty good.

Thank you, for some reason I didn't get this one.

The straight-forward interpretation is:
However, with closer inspection and analysis, it's more likely:
Gallagher, being a master of the medium, is capable of having layered meanings with his works which is why its so prudent that we have these threads to peel back said layers and get at the meaty True Joke within the surface Almost Joke.

This could also very well be a reference to one of the classic "Heathcliff plays with large yarn ball" strips of yore such as . In doing so, it's showing that given Heathcliff's past interactions with massive yarn balls, him simply playing with a regular sized one just doesn't cut it anymore. In a way, it's social commentary on how our needs for entertainment grow larger and larger as we continue to push boundaries and thus changing what our minimum demands are as a people, until we're going to be left with to a point where we need more than can possibly be offered. This, however, is the type of joke that only longtime heathcliff fans would pick up on hence the need for extra layers of joke so as not to alienate new readers, which is something the Big 2 could really learn a thing or two from.

Two of my favorite strips.

I fucking love Heathcliff threads.

The ball

Somebody here really earned their degree

out of the way, best heathcliff comic coming through.

Huh that would even make sense now that we see

I definitely was.

I just woke up and here's a fix.

Clearly you haven't had your coffee yet, user.

Is this an edit?

It was genuinely what I was thinking of

Does he mean the giant cat outside?

Bump

Holy fuck this Heathcliff thread reached a new level of complexity

Make that "He has too much time on his hands".

I legitimately laughed at this

>complexity
for a retard. these comics aren't funny.

Well I don't know why you're saying that retards don't find these comics funny, but okay.