Why did Prince Adam ever need to turn back from He-Man and maintain a secret identity...

Why did Prince Adam ever need to turn back from He-Man and maintain a secret identity? It's not like Skeletor wasn't attacking his family and friends anyway.

also this is worse then Clark/Superman and just wearing glasses

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friend_of_Dorothy),
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friend_of_Dorothy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Garland_as_gay_icon
youtube.com/watch?v=Svix3gccmiM
youtube.com/watch?v=VxRw5_3OFgc
thefreedictionary.com/he-man
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Maybe he didn't want his family to worry about him getting killed? Here's a better question - why did Adora keep her secret identity? She was openly a member of the rebellion both as She-Ra and Adora.

>has the some faggot ass haircut
>no one knows they are one and the same

If he maintained his he-man form constantly it'd become a risk to the people around him. It's not so much a disguise as it is a way to cap his power to keep it from overflowing

So what actually changes when he becomes He-Man? just his outfit?
Because he doesn't look any bigger.

He gets a tan.

He becomes more orange, from his hair down to his toes.

Ah, a lot like Donald Trump.

That still begs the question of the secret identity

This. He also likes beer as He-Man, but doesn't as Adam.

you realize both superman and he-man were targeted at kids? Both have the same premise. Underdog has a secret identity which kicks ass. They also try doing moral speeches.

All targeted on kids to:
>be better
>be kind to others
>even if you are a regular joe if you try hard enough you can do something
>sell toys and products

Here is your >>You

It's an allegory for "closeted" gay men who aren't fooling anyone. We just pretend his disguise works to spare his feelings, like with Batman.

What?

kek

What board do you think you're on?

kek

and he gets this boss mount

How was Adam and under dog hes a swoll tall blonde who is royalty of the land.

/co

I know he is trying to provoke people with stupid questin. doesn't mean I have to stoop to his level and make a low quality post as a reply

>he is trying to provoke people
How thin skinned are you? Go away.

BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL IM GONNA BUILD THE WALL AND MAKE THE SNAKE-PEOPLE PAY FOR WHAT THEY DID

yes he is a prince. But he is basically useless and makes his persona that he is dependent on others. Only when he-man shows is when he kicks ass.

Same as clark kent missing all the superman sightings because he missed his cab, or he entered a wrong building etc.

Pfff, I can get a better one at Darnasus at level 40.
Even a max level pre cataclysm character would kick the living shit out of he-man.

It was explained that if he remains He-Man always, the Power of Grayskull could corrupt him, and turn him to what sworn to fight against to.

That woman a snake I don't trust her

She aint a snek you silly. She a green woman with a snek disguise. She fine, we trust.

That's Teela as the Sorceress. It's part of the MOTU mythos since the first mini comics, when she was her that gave He-Man his weapons (even before Adam's introduction).

The whole "being useless", it's actually an act. When Adam became king and lost his powers for a period, he lead the Eternian armies to victory, and he defeated King Hsss, without He-Man's powers

The secret identity was present to the earlier years, when Adam was a teenager or young adult, for protecting him. Later the identity was revealed to everyone.

So the furry underwear were not part of the He-Man costume?

He-Man originally was a tribal barbarian who left his tribe to face the perils of his world, find the Castle Grayskull, and save Eternia form Skeletor. He saved the Sorceress from a monster, and she chose him as her champion offering him his weapons and the harness.

I'm really getting tired of how Cred Forums has started to become like Cred Forums with threads like these. There's no way that Prince Adams and He-man are the same person so take your conspiracy theories somewhere else!

Oh and I'm suppose to believe that Clark Kent and Superman are the same people too? You really think bumbling hayseed Kent is the Man of Steel? You're living a wish fulfillment if you think a mild-manner reporter can be Superman.

>person who beat up superman
>vs dude who needed 24 others to take down a single lich

So he's the Chosen One from Fallout 2?

The sorceress was originally reptilian?

The concept of Prince Adam was added later, with the first 80's DC comics, when Adam was presented as a barbarian adventurer prince who in one of his quests he tried to save a village from a demonic wizard. He was about to be killed, but because of his courage and self sacrifice, the Sorceress/Goddess, grant him the powers of Grayskull that he transformed him to He-Man and so he could defeat the wizard (there wasn't the Power Sword which transfrom him yet).

Even his netherlands?

the furry underwear came from CONAN.
As you know He-man was created to use this failed attempt to make conan figures
it explain too the weird man-at-arms helmet .
its just the conan hair ( still present on he-man) that was covered to look as a helmet.

Because eventually if he kept being HeMan for too long he'd go mad with power and just be replacing one dictator with another.

Yes.

In the modern versions of the mythos, the snake Sorceress, became the look of Teela when she took the place of her mother as the Sorceress, completing the cyrcle.

So Man-At-Arms fucked the sorceress?! How did he pull that off

Yes, we've been through this. Boys want to be heroes. Girls want to be cuckoos.

>yfw this preempts Twilight, 50 Shades, Hunger Games and Harry Potter by at least a decade

How does Fisto fit into all this?

He's the key to everything.

Yeah he did. In the later versions of mythos he is Teela's biological father. He raised her alone, because the Sorceress couldn't abband her duty.

He is Duncan's older brother, and Teela's uncle.

with his man-at-thirdarm

Can we talk about faker for a minute how did Skeletor think this would work?

Did He-man do something different with his hair?

Actually the original faker was a robot that looked exactly like He-Man. Mattel change his color for selling the figure

Woah, He-Man looks great. Must be lifting more weights.

Given the way that gay people interpreted The Wizard of Oz back in the day (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friend_of_Dorothy), it wouldn't surprise me if there really are gay people who interpret He-Man the way you described.

Did his hair color actually change or is that an artifact of the two different screenshots?

I didnt even think that much of a change occurred and remember thinking even as a dumbass kid "its the same guy in a different shirt, are you people blind??"

SHEGO EL BIGOTEEEEE

Originally Prince Adam was supposed to look younger, much less bulkier and with shorter hair than He-Man. But Filmation for budget reasons, they couldn't afford to make them look different, and they used the same model for both He-Man and Adam. Only later with the 200X cartoon and the DC comics, Adam finally would look different from He-Man.

Because he doesnt get his powers until he transforms, kinda like Shazam, only in this case he looks exactly the same and doesnt go from a child to a superhero.

How come She-Ra said 'for the honor of Greyskull!' during her transformation when she's meant to be the protector of the Crystal Castle? The Greyskull image behind her even transforms into the Crystal Castle during her transformation.

Always confused me as a kid

"Crystal Castle" is too Sailor Moon for Western audiences.

The powers coming from Grayskull, since the Sword of Protection like the Power Sword has been forged by the Twins's ancsestor, King Grayskull. But the gem on She-Ra's Sword it's coming from Crystal Castle, and grants at the Sword the power of healing. Eternia and Etheria have been connected through dimensional gates, and the gem has been somehow finished on Eternia.

>That cannot possibly be my son! My son has no awesome tan and he is kind of a pussy.

This never made sense, it's not like she grew up there and had a long history as Adora and friends/normal life to protect. She had literally no reason to keep an identity, especially since the bad guys knew damn well who she was. They raised her.

This looks like a really cool setting.

How do into He-man? what should I read?

I never got what made Wizard of Oz so damn special to the gay community. Why Wizard of Oz of all things?

Completely. The new president is way more orange than the Apprentice guy. They cant be the same person. One is orange, the other is not.

For this reason, they abbandon the sceret identity idea, in the modern comics.

DC has pubblished 7 volumes from 2012 to 2016. It's a lot of stuff. Buy you can start with Volume 3 and the Horde invasion of Eternia, and continue from there.

In the original cartoon, the Sorceress outright says that if Adam didn't have the secret identity to fall back on, then Skeletor would even more directly threaten the people he cares about. And this is the canon where he finds some artifact that turns people into stone or mud monsters on a regular basis-- and then tends to carpet bomb the palace with said artifact. It was a kid's cartoon and the reasoning was simple, but there are other possibilities.

If Randor knew about Adam being He-Man, it could lead to a situation where as king or in the capacity as his father orders his son to go use his powers that may not match up with what Adam feels right. Again, kids cartoon, but say he sends out He-Man to go fight something the army could handle and then some lava river's dam bursts and Heman should have been stopping that.

Or if suddenly everybody knows Adam is He-Man, the foppish lazy ass prince is sitting on all that power, they could become afraid. Hell, Skeletor could drum up a mass panic if he was smart that day.

In general it's better that Adam use his powers when he time is rift rather than have them turned on all the time.

As for She-ra... Someone once suggested to me that the reason she doesn't tell the other rebels about her powers is because there's a good chance the rebellion would get cocky, be too self assured any of their plans would work, and then carelessly screw up and this gives Hordak an easy victory. Since, yet again, kids show, Adora isn't risking the lives of her friends by maintaining this discretion; at worse someone would wind up in Fantasy Prison for awhile until she could save them.

The Netherlands are always orange.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friend_of_Dorothy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Garland_as_gay_icon

The problem with this is that Adam is a prince and his family are the rulers of Eternia, so they are already the biggest targets on the planet. They are in danger, much more than He-Man. Anyway the secret identity of He-Man is unnecessary, creates drama where it should needed it. and i was glad that they abbandon in the newer versions. But because of the sake of that thing called nostalgia, they are bringing it back for the upcoming crossover with the Thundercats.

youtube.com/watch?v=Svix3gccmiM

With this, and Faker, it's my personal headcanon that the people of eternia are completely bumfuck retarded at recognizing people, like they won't notice a total change of skin tone but a change of outfit makes someone totally unrecognizable.

>Donald Trump has the Power of Grayskull
Wait, does that mean that Hillary is our universe version of Skeletor?

She's got the face down, but her body could use work.

So did he change the way he acted when he started becoming he-man or did he suddenly start acting like a bitch so he could hide his he-man persona?

I didn't think very highly of the MotU Dc comics that occur before the Eternity War story arc (like, at all) but my point stands. Having the anonymynity allows Adam to be able to more freely use his powers when they're needed. I admit that there's a lot more of a gray area for this to be as effective in the current comics but it worked for the older cartoons. Skeletor shows up on a daily basis to lob some evil magic do-dad at the populace.

Skeletor knowing that Adam is He-Man means he can make much more direct attacks on Eternia. He then knows who to aim for, a better sense of his foe's weaknesses and all the time in the world to figure this shit out once and for all.

No because Skeletor can actually stand up and doesn't have recurring strokes.

Are the DC comics a sequel to the older ones or a complete reboot?

Skeletor is Adam's uncle, and Randor's brother. He hates Adam's family much more than He-Man himself. The DC MOTU comics had added a lot more layers at the MOTU mythos, than the Filmation cartoon which was aimed to 5 years old kids and minds. In the old cartoon Skeletor was completely incompetent. He was knocked by Marlena among all people. Skeletor wasn't even a threat to actually worry about, for justifying a secret identity. But at any case Adam's family and himself were already the biggest targets on the planet, as the rulers. The secret identity was completely unnecessary, and it was brought only because to add some superhero drama to a Fantasy franchise.

IMan, that series got some background.

Remember that Mattel or whoever owns the toyline has been shilling them out and selling them on a subscriber-basis and through a single message board, so all the people who were known to be willing to pay for that shit were all in that one place.

So when the comic appeared, and She-ra wore nothing but a battle bikini, they bitched. They bitched, they moaned and bitched some more. So She-ra got more clothes come the next issue, but they still weren'T content, so they kept on bitching. The end result was that they bitched until she was allowed to be shown wearing actuall shirts and pants.

Which means that a bunch of manchildren who are getting ripped off by a shitty toy company made a woman character get clothes in a comic, which is fucking hilarious.

Another reason for that on the cartoon is that it was a vehicle to sell toys at the time, and alot of the more muscular figures used the exact same bodymold, so adam, skeletor, he-man,faker, fisto under his armor... there was a bunch more i just forget now.

anyways adam on the show matched the adam toy, that was my overall point.

It's some bullshit amalgam of the original and 02 cartoon. A couple characters from 02 show up but the designs are more aimed towards the originals and Teela is blond despite being a redhead in both canons.

It was frustrating too that Orko is blamed for everything bad that happened prior to the start of the comic but there was no framing device to tell new readers who he actually was.

I really need a reading list for the old stuff.

It's a different Universe. Basically MOTU is a multiverse. The filmationverse, the 200X verse, the minicomicverse, the DCverse, they are all different/alternative MOTU Universes.

Tan of Concealment!

Have you ever seen trump dance to 4 Non Blondes? There's no way he got the power.

Clearly you didn't read it, after the first mini series.

Orko has been possessed by Horde Prime's spirit which inhabited his accursed Skull. The Masters believed that he betrayed them, but the truth was revealed later.

>Somehow omitting Best Skeletor
youtube.com/watch?v=VxRw5_3OFgc

I keep expressly saying that my reasoning is aimed towards the original cartoon which is what I presumed the OP was asking about. Pay attention.

And until Eternity war, the DC comics WERE shit. They wanted to remind readers of the old cartoon but they had no intention of keeping the status quo of even the 02 cartoon, so they kill off mind rape and destroy enough chaff to set up a status quo that looks bad ass and discards whatever angles or relations they please. Adam didn't become He-Man for five issues; he just kept walking from once encounter to another while arguing with blond Teela. Orko's betrayal is supposed to be this big drama bomb reveal but he wasn't in the goddamn comic at all for this to have any real impact.

And Adora's introduction just flat out kept anything interesting from happening " we have the whole kingdom as a hostage, so no He-manning for you!"

This happened because Mattel doesn't have the movie rights. Copyright reasons.

The 2004 series handled that a lot better. When Adam transforms into He-Man, it literally changes his body and voice.

Because if either he-man or she-ra exposed their identity. Villains would team up and shit or figure out their connection.

Very slowly, with lots of lube and deep breaths.

Again it's clear you didn't read the comics apart from the first mini series. If you have read it you knew that Adam was He-Man for 30 issues in raw, from issue #1 of volume 3, until the end of volume #6. Oh and the banter with Teela was ended by vol. #3, when Giffen left the book.

And no the DC MOTU comics have been fantastic since Dan Abnett took over. It's not only the Eternity War, the Subternia arc, the Origin of She-Ra have been awesome. Please took off the nostalgia glasses. Filmation was a waterdowned version, which took a good concept and turn it to a freaking parody for 5 years old.

This is actually not a reason. Skeletor and Hordak hated each other much more, than actually hated He-Man and She-Ra. They never teamed up, at any MOTU canon, apart from the beginning when Skeletor was working for the Horde, during a period of his life.

Teela was blonde originally long before Filmation turned to a redhead.

The status quo of the 2002 cartoon was finished in 2004. Mattel saw the toyline as a failure, and they didn't touch this canon further. Besides how it's possible to keep a continuity with a story that ended 10 years earlier.

Orko's story and what happened to him was the central part of the crossover with the DC Universe. So it has a huge impact to this continuity.

Actually this was Teela that you are talking about. She-Ra once intorduced had the same ouftit/armor for the rest of the series, which was similar to the original one, as you can see above.

As for Teela yes there was some complain about her barbarian look. But really those who said that, forgot that Teela in the 80's comics wore a similar barbaric oufit for a certain period. There is even an action figure of hers.

Best Teela.

Without any doubt!

>and all as one we looked to the heavens and cried out
>MWAH

Does Hawk finally have a contender for the title of best so-bad-it's-good sword-and-sorcery film of all time?

I actually read the first two miniseries and the DCU x-over. I felt like it was the opposite problem of the goofier/light hearted originals; I'm okay with a darker or more serious MotU but the earliest mini series came off as pure tryhard edgelording and badly written. Everyone unanimously seems to agree that past the DCU arc it got loads better and while I didn't like what I read of the part with King grayskulls death I concede that point.

But for the original argument, I still maintain that Adam keeping his powers secret was vindicated by the plot and it was meant to be the plight of his character that he couldn't claim credit for his actions but he was nobly giving that up.

From what Ive seen of the post DCU comics, the plot hinges more on the rebuilding of he world and restoring balance. I can at least see in the comics why the secret identity is no longer needed.

Fall of Grayskull actually is a fan made film, not an official one. But i loved that the director used the early design of the blonde barbarian Teela for the film.

What the hell kind of a costume is that

I know all about She-Ra, but was He-Man himself popular with girls? I'm just curious?

How about providing some download links for the comics for those who haven't read them?

Or a storytime thread, either one is cool.

At least the reboot fixed this issue by making him a weedy fuck that everyone thought was a coward. also I just assumed it was safer to revert back to the guy Skeletor wouldn't even consider to hold the power of Greyskull instead of having a target painted on his back %100 of the time. Being Adam gave him a chance to chill out for a few seconds.

You've never seen old Tor fantasy covers?

In the first mini series, i believe that they still struggle to find the right pacing for the MOTU Universe and its characters. It's not easy task since the original cartoon material is completely cheesy and for little kids certainly not for adult readers, and without any kind of continuity or who is who between the caharacters.

But since Dan Abnett took over the comic book series turned to fantastic wild ride, that included a lof of depth and background for the characters, but also a lot of world building for Eternia and its various populations.

As for King Grayskull, in the DC story, his death maybe not be heroic, but it was connected very well, with the rest of the story, because explained why the Gar have been hated, why Keldor has been denied his birthright, which lead to Skeletor's origin, and of course from where it came from the Sword of Protetcion. King Grayskull's death explained and connected together all of this.

I'll get in a fist fight over how the 2002 Grayskull was best, but I can see your PoV on this. For me the original 2 series just had Inescapable problems and I kinda wonder if I bailed too soon, but at the time I was right pissed at DC and felt like 50 or so bucks of my money was enough.

I suppose it's better that the comic improved than just crashing and burning, even if I didn't follow it after awhile.

... Still, I hold out hope that the Thundercats xover is gonna be more like Brave and the Bold in terms of awesome

No that's Bill Clinton

The main problem that i had with the 2002's King Grayskull, was that he was depicted as a better version of He-Man, making him to look without importance. The DC story show that King Grayskull was a person with flaws that made mistakes, and he was not the mr perfect warrior, and as the comic go on, we see why and how Adam/He-Man surpassed him, and why he was the chosen one. I liked it better, because the way that the plot evolved, King Grayskull was more like Isildur, to Adam's Aragorn.

But i really recommend you to really read Abnett's run, fro volume 4 and afterwards. It's absolutely worthy trust me. It's completely different from the first two volumes. A great read not only for MOTU but also for any Fantasy fan.

As for the crossover with the Thundercats, it doesn't follow the current continuity. It's a standalone story closer to the 80's versions of both franchises. But the writers are the same ones who wrote the plot for the Eternity War!

user, being a swoll tall blonde on a planet of swoll tall people doesn't mean jack squat.

I think the only logical explanation I can find for Adora is that the Rebellion wouldn't trust her right away like they did with She-Ra.

Adora was Hordak's daughter after all.

They trust her enough to make her their leader. The secret identity in this case is even more bad handled, since doesn't make sense how the rebels couldn't see the connection between Adora and Adam with He-Man and She-Ra. Suddenly two pair of twins appear out of nowhere, and no one is suspicious about that?

So if they're siblings and his hero persona is He-Man, why isn't hers She-Woman?

Heman second to the dictionary it means "a strongly built muscular man":

thefreedictionary.com/he-man

For She-Ra they had to choose something different which also sounds closer to her real name Ado-ra.