Tony NotA-Stark

So, this is bullshit.

>its a "your blood is more important than the family who raised you" episode

Fuck off with this shit. Tony's "dad" was a sperm donor and his "mom" was a test tube for all Tony should care.
At most Tony should respect and understand the woman who gave birth to him but he should never under any circumstances call her mom.

It was bullshit from the moment that Gillen put it in his run.

Why are you only complaining about it now and not when it was revealed years ago?

Tony being a genius made sense because his dad, Howard Stark, was also a genius. I know genetics isn't 100% guaranteed, but it happens often.

Because Bendis just finished the story this week.

how did Bendis decide to follow up and retcon that at the same time

>NotA-Stark

Does he still stank tho?

What an amazing coincidence that the adopted son of a genius on the extreme extreme higher end of the intelligence bell-curve adopted a son that happened to be a genius on the extreme extreme higher end of the intelligence bell-curve.

It's almost like shitty writing or something.

And they also just happen to looks exactly alike!

I'm still scratching my head over what the perceived value of this change to Tony was supposed to be.

I don't want to say it adds nothing to the IM mythos, it obviously does add something, its just that it doesn't seem to add anything of *value* while damaging other bits of the mythos in place. Tony has a strained relationship with his father, what does adding that its not really his father actually add? Doesn't it end up detracting from that naturally-strained relationship?

I'm not *against* the idea either. Change is ok. It just needs to be a good change. I'm not seeing where this one has any merit. I'm assuming no other writers are going to pick it up and run with it without editorial mandate (is there any?)

I think my least favorite storytelling device in American superhero comics is "You thought you knew what happened BUT AH THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED (BTW I JUST DECIDED A FEW MONTHS AGO)"

It's such a cheap, artificial way to raise stakes and create "importance" for what would otherwise be a totally dumb and unremarkable storyline

Plot twist- Howie was an incurable womanizer the same way Tony's an alchoholic, and fucked a lot of broads on the side. One day the condom ripped and not being a totally merciless fuck he took custody of the bastard, framing it as an adoption so his wife wouldn't get suspicious.

As if American comics are the only ones that do this.

I haven't read this story so I don't really know shit but if Superman is still Clark Kent despite being adopted then Tony is still Tony Stark.
Blood of the covenant bro.

The only thing that rivals comics in the amount and frequency of retcons is soap operas.

I dunno, I can think of three nip comics off the top of my head that wallow in this kind of thing.

And how is he a technological genius with an IQ higher than most on the planet?

It's usually a lot less egregious when it takes place in TV or movies, or in comics that are not from the big two, because it's done by one (or a set) group of creators, generally planned out way in advance, and happens over the course of a storyline that plays out over the course of a few years, and not several decades

And even in the cases where it doesn't, the retcon is generally treated less like "HERE IS THIS ASTONISHING SECRET THAT IS SO AMAZING EVEN THOUGH I LITERALLY JUST MADE IT UP" and more like "I retconned this thing so I could do this other cool thing"

Well, soap operas and very trashy manga then, but that's not good company to be in.

Even stuff like Dragon Ball doesn't stoop to including retcon after retcon for dramatic effect.

Apples and oranges. See Passing down positive morals are part of nuture. Passing down brilliance in science is genetics, part of nature.

Marvel made this change just for the sake of change, not to add anything useful to Tony's story.

Idk how is Peter Parker a genius?
Tony would definitely have had a good education.

Retcons are the worst. There're writers that seem more interested in "fixing" what was written forty years ago rather than make something new...

Then again, capecomics hardly reward novelty, so...

A good education =! genius

Also Peter is not a genius.

A good education does not turn a normal person into one of the most intelligent people on the planet.

Are you really suggesting it not contrived that one of the most intelligent people on the planet adopted, by chance, another of the most intelligent people on the planet?

I'm not saying that the story isn't bullshit I'm just saying Tony still being a genius isn't impossible.
It's comics.

But Bendis wasn't the one who came up with "Tony Stark is adopted."

>Tony has a strained relationship with his father, what does adding that its not really his father actually add?
It adds to his "special snowflake" status because in the world of the liberal progressive it's no longer okay to be a white male from two straight parents. Everyone needs a card to check in at the tent and now Tony has his.

>Also Peter is not a genius.
Canonically, yes, he absolutely is a genius. In fact, he's a super-genius. Reed Richards has acknowledged that he's one of the smartest people on the planet but since he never applied himself to science and the pursuit of knowledge, he doesn't rank in the same tier as the other Marvel super-geniuses.

Its extremely contrived. Poor writing can't always be written off as 'lol comics'.

i thought it was Gillen setting things up for Arno Stark in 2020?

But don't you understand, user? If your dad isn't a genius then you could never be a genius too. Intelligence is 100% based on genetics. Why do you think the blacks have never contributed anything to science? It's because they're genetically predisposed to not being smart. Same with the slavs.

That makes sense.

Please user, don't be silly.

One of the most intelligent people of the whole world adopted a child, who happened to also be one of the most intelligent people in the world.

And we're not talking top 10 or 20% of the world population, we're talking people who only have a few people smarter than them out of seven billion.

Its so extremely extremely extremely unlikely that its just ridiculous.

Its about as contrived as having Peter Parker adopt a random child, who in an unrelated event was bitten by a radiated spider in the nursery.

Tony is Howard's son though, just not Howards wife son, the mother was kind of a surrogate.

>Reed Richards has acknowledged that he's one of the smartest people on the planet
That's just shit writing, and meaningless considering everyone and their mother is a genius in the Mravel Universe these days.

Shit writing or not, it's canon.

I seems pointless, honestly. Just like Wanda looking for her real parents too. It feels like bland soap opera drama.

>>its a "your blood is more important than the family who raised you" episode
>not believing in the power of genes

>not Howard's wife's son
How do I meme on this

>I don't like it so it's SHIT

Yeah. That was the editorial.

I thought that it was Gillen.

>I know genetics isn't 100% guaranteed, but it happens often.
I'm pretty sure the number of poor geniuses whose progeny is also brilliant is really small compare to rich geniuses.

Social context matters probably more.

>Passing down brilliance in science is genetics, part of nature.
It's not clear, scientists haven't found an answer yet . And most people are good in favorable conditions (like having a rich family making studying easier).

This how I'm thinking they could retcon it, if they don't decide to ignore it all together.

>Social context matters probably more.
In the sense that your brain needs nutrients to improve, yes.
Without the genetic propensity though, you're fucked. Look at all the dumbfuck rich kids. They didn't win that genetic lottery, and no amount of grade-a meals is gonna fix that.

>one of the most intelligent people on the planet.
This doesn't make sense in the real world. There are many type of intelligence. There are tons of geniuses in the world in various domains.
"one of the most intelligent people on the planet" is a comic thing, like the fastest.
When every finalists in the olympic end up with 1 or 2 seconds max of difference between them and 10 or 15 seconds less than your average joe, they're all the fastest.

>And we're not talking top 10 or 20% of the world population, we're talking people who only have a few people smarter than them out of seven billion.
It's a comic. What you describe doesn't exist in the real world.

What's the point?

>Look at all the dumbfuck rich kids
Having rich parents gives you means to have a good education and reach higher. But if every one around you tell you you're the best, there's a lot of chance you'll end up being an asshole, a dumbfuck rich kid who think he's the best because everybody told him that all his life.

Still, this is the result of social context.
Having money is one part, the behaviour of the people who surrounds you is another.

A good education has very little to do with intellect and I wish we could get past this.

If you're a middle class twit and your kid is smart, you can certainly nurture that, but if he's born dumb, nothing is gonna help.

>inb4 nobody is born dumb

>not believing in the power of memes
THE DNA OF THE SOUL

>>not believing in the power of memes
Oh but I do believe in meme magic.

>Also Peter is not a genius
don't comment about comics you haven't read, user

>tfw born smart
>tfw parents to poor to give me any decent education
>tfw have been treated like an outcast all my life because of that
>tfw got depressed and tried suicide once because of that
>tfw this shit took to much time of my life and now I can't do anything about it

The social context you're inserted in is just too important to be ignored, if you're dumb among dumb people you're fine but if you're smart among monkeys you're fucked for life.

Nigga NO ONE in comics have a normal family anymore, this isn't fucking new. Shit, even Superman's family was dead until recently. Blaming liberals for shit like this is asinine, shut the fuck up already.