New Avengers Vol 1 Storytime (Part 6)

Welcome back Anons. Last thread, we finished up Heroes For Hire's second series! Today, we're turning back the clock to Civil War, and seeing how the New Avengers are reacting.

Chaykin drawing the Avengers Civil War tie in sounds like a joke

If it makes you feel better, he's only doing the one issue.

i like chaykin, i think he's interesting even when he's bad. it's more big 2 event tie in work for hire

There's probably SOMEONE who gets triggered by that last panel.

God damn it Dugan!

I succefully managed to miss two complete threads and only saw the last H4H thread this morning.

I have a lot of catch up to do after work.

I do not know why anyone was hiring Chaykin in the 2000s. His art was not good by then.

I don't believe he shows this level of paranoia anywhere else.

I love me a good old unexplained reference (hence why the people clamoring for a Budapest movie baffle me), but what could this woman have POSSIBLY done to be so memorable? Unless that's just some vague codeword, in which case, why didn't he OPEN with that?

>I do not know why anyone was hiring Chaykin in the 2000s. His art was not good by then.
Maybe they saw potential?

Bendis got a chance to work with Chaykin and he took it, don't blame him. dude was around for prime chaykin remember

>fighting super-villains in the middle of Civil War

Funny story Anons, if memory serves, one of the tie-ins has SHIELD staging muggings as an attempt to capture unregistered superheroes.

This is sadly the closest we get to Bendis writing Pym sympathetically.

I mean, compared to how he writes him in Mighty Avengers (where everyone wants him dead because of what Ultron did, even other heroes), this IS sympathetic.

>Next issue: Luke Cage

Believe it or not, I hear this is considered to be one of the better tie-in issues.

>that picture in panel six
>Luke's picture has him in a PURPLE shirt

The colorist is a friggen hack.

>"What about me, Mr. Stark? I have powers too. I don't want to use them and I have no plans to use them."
>"Well Jessica, you'll sign in and we'll deal with that when the time comes."

Yeah, cause that worked SO well with the others.

>"You gonna sign that thing?"
>"Nope."
>"What ARE you gonna do?"
>"I'm going to go inside and sit in my home. And not bother no one."

Remember this.

>Clock hits midnight
>Armed men IMMEDIATELY knock on his door

>they brought no less than THREE fucking tanks to his apartment before he even opened the door

Whenever I hear people saying Pro-Reg was right, I remember this.

>"Lucas Cage, you are under arrest for violating the Federal Superhuman Registration Act."

Remember, he's not arrested for throwing a fucking couch at law enforcement, he's arrested for being a superhuman, and sitting in his couch. For all they know, he may have decided he'd quit, like Firestar did. Or maybe he was going to say "Fuck it, moving to Canada."

it's really funny to me when civil war 1 has scenes making a better argument for civil war 2's premise than CW2

That's because Civil War II is basically having characters going full retard at every chance. If they wanted to make things interesting, one of Ulysses's visions would be Carol killing Iron Man.

So assuming Bendis didn't bother asking Brubaker what Matt Murdock was doing (remember, Brubaker was literally the writer on Daredevil after him, so it wouldn't be unreasonable for Bendis to keep up out of curiousity), Danny ended up joining with Cap just after Falcon.

>"Aren't you in jail?"
>"Well, I AM an enigma wrapped in a riddle."

This is surprisingly vague for is Bendis actually knows who this is.

WHY WOULD YOU TELL THEM YOU CAN TRACK THE TANK?!

Seriously Hill, let them keep the tank, thinking they can use it against you, and then track them down! Christ, I'm an idiot and I could think up that plan.

Oh great, Jessica drew.

>LMDs don't register physical trauma

That seems like a big design flaw.

Remember, she explained to the rest of the Avengers that she's a triple agent for SHIELD against Hydra. Hydra gave her her powers back in exchange for being a double agent (giving info from SHIELD to Hydra), and Nick Fury convinced her to be a triple agent (giving info from Hydra to him, who was head of SHIELD at the time).

and she was a skrull all along.

Okay, WE know she's a quadruple agent, but that hasn't come up yet.

Wow, way to be an asshole Tony. I can't POSSIBLY see how this could end badly for you.

Like I said, that part hasn't come up yet.

Remember when Hydra had the green uniforms, hoverboards, and other shit?
Instead of basically being a shitty metaphor for real world terrorists that they are now?

>Maria Hill shot in the chest

Okay, so is this whole thing faked, or is she just an LMD?

Welcome back?

So how many Helicarriers do they have if this shit keeps happening? When I first got into comics, I thought there was only one!

Thanks user, but I didn't really leave, so much as I was too tired to post at our usual times.

Too tired to post?

Yeah, too tired to post. Come noon, I end up only getting a few hours of sleep.

[spoilers]We are playing the Bendis-posting gag, right?

Bendis-posting gag? You're asking if we're doing that?

Wait, I thought Hydra Island was artifical? And Nick Fury sunk it in the 60's. And then the first Heroes For Hire series brought it back, and then destroyed it.

Yeah, the Bendis-posting gag. Where we say the same thing over and over again. Kind of like this page.

I have no idea why Coipel thinks Jessica is asian suddenly.

Skrull shapeshifting acting up.

>Next Issue: The Sentry

Oh boy, this should be a glorious trainwreck.

Remember Anons, this was years before Marvel tried to make the Inhumans the new X-Men.

These 7, and Maximus the Mad were basically the only Inhumans you needed to know about, and even then, you could get away with just knowing Black Bolt, Medusa, and Crystal.

>"Please stop poking around in my head. It's not something I'm comfortable with."
>"Very well."

Huh, so apparently Inhumans ARE better than mutants.

Well, more polite is probably more apt.

> "Pietro Maximoff was an ally to us as well."

Read Son of M, shit gets messed up.

I'm just saying, when was the last time a mutant stopped mind-reading someone who asked them nicely not to?

I think Tony is in the right here when he said "Oh come on!"
I was thinking the same thing before I read it.

>"She said we were lovers."

For fuck's sake Crystal...

So is she still married to Quicksilver at this time? Because that would mean this is the SECOND time she cheated on him.

See, if the story DIDN'T lead to tanks and armed men, that would've been fucked up. But then the story shows that it's WAY worse than Jim Crow.

>Only on Earth, right?

For fucks sake Crystal.

>Next Issue: Iron Man

Last issue, Anons!

By now, the Civil War is officially over, although we're still dealing with the aftermath.

I wonder if the fact that someone in charge thinks of her as a serial adulterer is the reason she's relatively small time now.

i always remember how they had guys like bullseye/venom/lady deathstrike an attack dogs on shock collars and norman osborne in a seat of power.

team cap was always right.

And then Frontline had it revealed that Tony Stark set up a conspiracy to have Norman Osborn assassinate some Atlantis politicians to get him more support (or something stupid and shady like that).
The series ended with Sally "Captain America isn't an American because Myspace" Floyd agreeing to not go public with it because Tony Stark was right.

And then Civil War II somehow made the "right for the wrong reasons vs. wrong for the right reasons" thing seem even worse when Tony Stark seems to have no plans for what to do, while Carol Danvers has plans that all end up being fucking stupid.

>that foreshadowing

>everyone's faces when Maria Hill says "could you come up here and make out with me."

We actually get to the obvious foreshadowing in a bit.

I'd read it.

So what are the odds that Bendis ever bothers explaining how this guy can hack extremis tech?

>"Fury did shit like this all the time and I never heard any of you give him lip. It's sexist and you need to look into it."

OR maybe it's because Nick Fury is on a first name basis with the head of Hydra, has PERSONALLY driven a motorcycle without a shirt while mowing down their agents with two guns at once, and basically has even more combat experience than Captain America.
But sure, let's go with "sexist."

Fucking hell, no wonder nobody liked Maria Hill until Spencer basically made her go full Saturday Morning cartoon villain. Unlike his Zemo, it's not like she was a good character before.

So I haven't read much Iron Man. The fuck is this guy?

They're fucking antigravity shoes, and you're bitching about them being ugly? Shit like THAT is why people question you, and not Fury.

>he has a poster with Avengers-era Beast

>That West Coast Avengers painting in the background

REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DAYS?

Try telling a casual (or someone new to comics) that there used to be a time when Hawkeye gave orders to Iron Man. See if they believe you.

>"Who was he?"
>"Disruntled employee."

Wow, so they're just handwaving away that this guy can hack into the most advanced piece of technology on the planet, bar some of Reed Richard's tech?

>Next: Hawkeye!

And I think I'll finish off with this, Anons. See you tomorrow, and see how Bendis starts ruining HAWKEYE now!

Tony doesn't like being made to look like a fool, and lying there helpless is exactly what happened.

Reading bump.

Oh, so the roller skates armor joke is something Bendis started bringing up years ago.

Okay, made it through WWH now.

JRJr was made for some kind of barbarian comic. He draws the biggest, blockiest men.

Wait.
Captain was an artist?

Yay! We finally got to Hawkeye, even if it's a Bendis'd version of him.

Yeah, in one run he was the penciler for the in-universe Captain America comics.

The thumbnails makes the corner bit look a bit like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Least worst is not a badge of honour.

Man, getting exonerated for that Heroin charge really payed off for Luke.

Funfact: Canada already had superhuman registration at this point.

It was a plot in Alpha Flight.

Can't. Too busy remembering this racist caricature right here.

Hey, remember when you complained about the colourist fucking up Cage's shirt?

Gabriel Jones is BLACK. Has always been black. He's been black so long him being Nick Fury's Black Guy in the Howling Commandos was a think. He's been black longer than Luke Cage has existed.

For some reason he's a blond white guy here.

Yeesh. Is Yu basing his art on 19th century anti black propoganda?

Helicarriers basically only exist to crash any time it'd be convenient to the story.

There may be more of them than there are Honda Civics, because they crash all the fucking time.

Quicksilver after House of M goes to show you that no amount of character assassination can't be undone.

See also: Bishop in X-Force.

Hey, guys, I think this dude might not actually be Tony Stark...

Don't be silly user, of course he is. He walked right into the building and everything.

Yeah, but what did Jarvis do to deserve that? It's not like he's some incompetent Woodhouse.

He probably served the wrong kind of tea or something.