What went right?

>Movie about Literally who's, the task force X
>Gets critically panned
>No China
>Has suicide in the name
>Misogynistic, racist

But
>Third entry
>Becomes the most profitable movie after deadpool this year, beating civil war (budget, marketing, prediction performance)
>Becomes the most profitable franchise of the year
>Rapes other superhero franchises WITHOUT China
>First album to sell gold this year in less than six weeks
>Merchandise has reached critical mass, anything skwad related sells
>Critic proof
>Still printing money
>Characters are beloved
>Harley and joker most popular Halloween costumes

>budget, $170

What happened? What went extremely right with DC?
Not to mention Harley #1 outsold every other book this year, mostly.

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/09/13/box-office-suicide-squad-is-now-leggier-than-captain-america-civil-war/
cosmicbooknews.com/content/chris-evans-battered-and-bruised-captain-america-civil-war-reshoots)
indiewire.com/2016/08/suicide-squad-star-joel-kinnaman-leading-man-1201712382/
deadline.com/2016/05/captain-america-civil-war-box-office-opening-summer-records-1201748297/
forbes.com/sites/csylt/2015/01/27/disney-reveals-guardians-of-the-galaxy-was-over-budget-at-232-million/#906b1c92f368)
cinemablend.com/new/Why-Disney-Executives-Apparently-Think-Avengers-2-Was-Failure-80867.html
cinemablend.com/new/Supposed-Avengers-Infinity-War-Budget-Almost-Shocking-87347.html
forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/10/12/why-cant-avengers-infinity-war-cost-1-billion/
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2010-12-22/magazine/one-piece-creator-oda-made-2-billion-yen
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>beating civil war
nigga what

civil war brought in 1.15 billion compared to SS' 700 million

It was a movie with a brand and advertised tone divorced enough from the other DC movies to not take a hit from them and it released in a spot where there was literally nothing else to see

Also girls everywhere dragged their SOs and families to see it because "I like, TOTALLY, am just like Harley u guise!"

>tldr salty drone

Studio wise, $720 million on a $175 million movie is better than $1.1 billion on a $300 million movie that was released in china.

Civil war underperformed, it had all the right ingredients but it failed to live up to Disney's $1.3billion dream..

Suicide squad was destined to flop, bad reviews, no china, DC, too dark. But despite that, it made more than most of marvel movies. It over performed.

If it had China and good reviews like civil wa, they could have made the same box office wise, with a smaller budget.

>Now Civil Ward underperformed
Kek, calm down DCuck, Suicide Squad had sucess because
>Having famous actors like Margot Robbie, Jared Leto and mainly, Will Smith
>A movie where half of the cast comes from batman lore
>Batman cameo ensuring good audience, people love batman
>Catering to the teenager and hot topic audience
Had 50/50 to be either a sucess/flop
Also
>Still believing SS had a budget of 175 millions
You forgot the reshoots? that upped it towards 200-250

It was by a good director. WB tried to butcher his movie but the good parts bolstered it. Plus the cast was really likable, and the concept was unique compared to other cape movies.

The budget was $175, though. $170 was what Guardians claimed before they got outed for lying about their budget.

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/09/13/box-office-suicide-squad-is-now-leggier-than-captain-america-civil-war/

>Box Office: 'Suicide Squad' Is Now Leggier Than 'Captain America: Civil War'

I think they were saying it beat Civil war in terms of how profitable it was.

Like, how much money it took to make and market versus how much it made in and post-theaters.

One place says Civil War took over 250 Million to make and another says it took over 200 Million to advertise in all media outlets potentially totalling over 400 Million dollars. Worldwide the movie made a little over 1.2 Billion dollars.

Suicide Squad took 175 Million to both make AND market and has since grossed over 700 Million dollars worldwide.

Civil War aired early May, Suicide Squad early August. With a little math, and pardon if I get this wrong:

I think Civil War has grossed a little over 300 Million per month since while in one month Suicide Squad has grossed 700 Million.

IF (hard if intended) Suicide Squad continues at this pace it quite likely will overtake Civil War.

Even if Suicide Squad had a bigger budget due to reshoots what about the extra 200 Million Disney spent on advertising making Civil War cost twice the amount it took to make?

>$250
BRUH Look at this drone

That's Civil wars budget, WITHOUT reshoot and marketing cost's

Civil wars actual budget is around $530 million, no wonder Disney feels it underperformed

Literally character fags who love Harley and Joker went to see the movie, and new readers who love Harley Quinn bought her new Issue 1. It's not that hard to understand. Did we really need a whole thread for this?

And yet to this very day I fail to see why anybody in this movie cared about Harley. I mean in the animated one there was at least the sex scenes with her and Deadshot, in this one everybody seemed to love her for no fucking reason whatsoever.

Cred Forums pls go

Civil war made $1.1 billion, not $1.2

Less than age of ultron
Dark knight rises
Ironman 3 lol

>literally nothing else to see

Yeah, well fuck you too.

Diminishing returns?

Also they paid RDJ 50 million AND 5% of the gross. Just to appear in the film. That's insane.

I'd have like to have seen the version they had planned if RDJ turned down the extra contract 2bh

Because she's Harley Quinn dude, that's like asking why do people like Deadpool.

I think people also just really like Harley.

Isn't the current version of her less crazy for the Joker? I mean, she's still cray cray but the versions of her who break away from the Joker all end up being anti-heroines with strong pro-female and anti-abusive relationship messages.

I haven't read the new Harley comic but the newer generation of Girls reading comics would probably find her incredibly inspiring if she's the more progressive Harley.

If she's not Ex-Joker Harley, then I agree with you, it's new readers jumping on the boat.

>Civil War
>$250 million dollar budget
>marketing cost generally equals or exceeds production budget, so $250
>Unknown reshoot costs (cosmicbooknews.com/content/chris-evans-battered-and-bruised-captain-america-civil-war-reshoots)

Without reshoots it needed to make OVER $500 million to even cover its production budget. Using your metric for determining reshoot costs, that means CW would not be profitable at all until it made $1.1 billion dollars.

It literally JUST broke even. It was a flop in the same way Ghostbusters was.

Nah, we'll be here forever :^)

How did this become the most successful album of the year?

>reshoots
Reshoots were budgeted, like they are on pretty much every big budget film

indiewire.com/2016/08/suicide-squad-star-joel-kinnaman-leading-man-1201712382/

>more famous actors
I'd say only Will and Viola Davis are considered to be high star power. Margot Robbie is still pretty fresh and new, this is probably her biggest acting job yet. Jared Leto isn't that popular.
>half the cast comes from batman lore
Harley, Joker, Deadshot and Killer Croc are the only Batman characters. The first two are pretty well known to normies, but Deadshot and KC are fairly obscure to a regular audience that doesn't read comics. I could buy people going to the movie just for Joker and/or Harley though.
>Batman cameo
He has like two minutes and a post-credit scene. He doesn't even have anything to do with the main plot.
>Catering to the teenage/hot topic audience
That's fair.

I don't know why people like Deadpool, either.

post more of this cutie

They should just kill his character off.

Do v other actors hate him?

Reboot the whole MCU at this point to be honest

bitter d.c.uccs tears are so tasty

>He thinks you get all the money back from the BO

Lol?

The difference is Deadpool was actually likable in his movie. Harley was an insufferable bitch throughout the whole thing.

The film is called "Captain America" and RDJ was paid MORE than the headlining actor. Over 5 times as much (Evans had to petition pretty hard to get his 10 million)

I'm suddenly aware of WHY the fucking CGI looks so trash in CW.

>$720 million on a $175 million movie is better than $1.1 billion on a $300 million movie
I think you may need to go back to kindergarten so you can learn how to count.

Why did this movie do so good?
It wasn't as bad as rotten tomatoes said but it wasn't a great film either.

reminder that Doctor Strange cost 250 mil and had to have reshoots to add more quips

When New 52 rolled around DC decided that Harley Quinn should be the top female of their comic line and had to change her character around as to be proper for all the young female readers. So now, HQ knows Joker is a shit, is dancing around fucking Ivy, has like a million dogs, was only pretending to be dumb because Joker like ritzy blondes. Basically she got remade as to fit the role of Role Model. It's a bummer because DC has plenty of other, far better, female characters who could easily fit the bill, but casuals only recognize HQ.
Because he's popular, and sells merchandise at Hot Topic and everyone says he's a great character. Like HQ, Wade can be a good character under the right writer, but he has more shut runs than good ones.
Exactly, but unlikable cunt translates into strong independent woman these days.

>Correcting me

Have you heard about averaging?

If you wanna be TECHNICAL then Civil War made 1,151,684,349 Dollars (Reference: The Numbers .com).

When talking about large numbers it is common for one to add a decimal point where the first (or last) comma designating a hundred of a particular signification. Doing so to this number makes it read 1.151 etc.

When averaging it is acceptable to go to the ten slot after the decimal point and, if 5 or above, boost the one slot after the decimal point to the number above it. With this example the number would now read 1.2

I am perfectly willing to accept that I am in the wrong if, in the cases of Finance or Extremely Large Numbers, you are supposed to disregard the method of rounding up numbers.

However, I would like to point out that you corrected me when I was actually likely agreeing with you considering you pointed out three films who made more than Civil War and even added a quaint 'lol'. Bad show, good sir. Bad show.

Because it's a movie with both Joker and Harley Quinn in it, casuals ate that shit up like it's candy

It underperformed, it was supposed to be between iron-man 3 and Aou and it had spiderman and panther.

deadline.com/2016/05/captain-america-civil-war-box-office-opening-summer-records-1201748297/

>Why does people like Deadpool?
>Because he's popular, sells merchandise at Hot Topic and everyone says he's a great character

So, they like him only because he's a meme?

So will Captain Boomerang finally get the attention he deserves?

see
Released in a month with no competition so it didn't really matter if it had a big drop when it took until a much better film Don't Breathe to take it from the top spot.

If marketing is a meme, yes. HQ and DP sell so much merchandise it's insane, it's hardly a wonder why they are so popular amongst people who don't actually read comics.

Honestly, this is hilarious.

Where did the budget money go?

I believe it's because people wanted to see Harley and the new Joker
Also with all the good superhero movie going on, some wants to see the opposite for a breath of fresh air

>Also with all the good superhero movie going on, some wants to see the opposite for a breath of fresh air
So why didn't they go see Fant4stic?

>Was just pretending to be stupid to make the Joker happy

Wow. Okay, I need to read this, that explains why she went from Dr. Harleen Quinzel with a thesis she had to maintain and years of both medical and psychiatric training to Harley Quinn who can barely count to ten without sounding like she's straining something.

People believably do shit they'd never do or originally hate themselves for to make who they wanna fuck like them all the time.

I know I did.

No, what I mean is, I ask why Deadpool is popular, and you point out that it's because he's popular and then list the effects of said popularity (merchandise and word of mouth).

WHAT in the first place makes Deadpool popular and liked? That's my question. I'm willing to bet it's like said:
>"I like, TOTALLY, am just like Harley/Wade u guise!"

So will this be the next underdog?

>Budget: $270 million
>No hype
>Racist casting
>Competition is Fantastic beasts and where to find them

If this does well, marvel will take bigger risks

That's true.

So let's break this down:

>Civil War
>$250 million dollar budget
>marketing cost generally equals or exceeds production budget, so $250

>$500 million dollar production budget

>Cinemas take half of final gross, so 1/2/ of $1,152 = $576 million

>76 million dollars

>Unknown reshoot costs (cosmicbooknews.com/content/chris-evans-battered-and-bruised-captain-america-civil-war-reshoots)
>Disney has lied about budgets before (forbes.com/sites/csylt/2015/01/27/disney-reveals-guardians-of-the-galaxy-was-over-budget-at-232-million/#906b1c92f368)

Civil War was beaten its third week in by Angry Birds.

Angry Birds.

It is HIGHLY unlikely Civil War made any money at all.

>underdog
>$270 million

lol

also you're forgetting reshoot costs

They don't keep all the money from the box office.

They get back roughly 60% of the BO (not exact as it's on a sliding scale), most of the pure money comes from product placement, home media, streaming, and other stuff.

60% of 720 = 423 - 175 = 257mil - 20% tax = 205 mil

60% of 1100 = 600 - 300 = 300mil - 20% tax = 240 mil

Spending 150 mil more to make back 35 mil is diminishing returns as fuck. Of course there's also grants and tax rebates and shit, but then on top of THAT you have shit like actor incentives (we know that RDJ received 5% of the profits for CW, being an absolute cunt about returning)

Now, go back to your Marvel vs DC pissing contest.

>You can argue that we shouldn’t necessarily be applauding a movie for being about as leggy as The Incredible Hulk, but it gave me an excuse to dive into the world of second-weekend freefalls. And once again we’re looking at a situation where opening in so-called offseason can provide protection for a frontloaded movie in a way that opening in the heart of the summer cannot. That will be something to watch over the next few years.

Read the article next time. He's not praising it nor even saying it did better than Civil War just that it was released in a fucking dead month for movies.

>Civil War Final Profit: $76million

Hahahahaha reboot when?

If Guardians had a projected budget of $170mil and ended up being overbudget at $232 mil, I shudder to think what Civil War's and Doctor Strange's real production costs look like.

>Marvel movie
>Disney movie
>the cumberbatch fandom
>reshoots to add more quips
This movie isn't a risk. It all follows their formula.

They changed too much to the original canon.

I hate to admit it as I'm a flaming homosexual liberal but turning Mr. Storm and Johnny black and being pro-interracial marriage in a movie reboot may have been too much too soon for comic book fans who get their panties in a bunch when a male character comes out of the closet.

I personally didn't want to see the Fantastic Four reboot because, well, it's a stupid reason:

They still didn't make it movieverse canon that Reed and Grimm are from Stockton, California.

Because the the other fantastic four flopped so people know to avoid that to save money and read reviews instead
So to change that, they were made young and diverse nothing what the audience want since they didn't want them in the first place

Tldr A remake of a shit film remains shit

And marketing. $500 million lmao

How much do you think it will gross?

I feel the exact opposite, but i'm a proud DCuck, so i'm totally biased.

I love every one of the DCEU movies, and Deadpool was boring to me.

No bait, just my sincere opinion.

>Underdog
>270 MILLION DOLLHAIRS

Nigga that's a film and a half

>The Walt Disney Company's© Marvel Studios'© DOCTOR STRANGE™, starring Benedict Cumberbatch®
>underdog

$700 million, average for a Marlel movie.

Deadline allegedly sourced that Age of Ultron cost Disney $400 million to market

Good job ignoring the Cred Forums-tier trolling Cred Forums! You're actually learning for once!

Twice as much, marvel studios and the directors always fight.

Antmans budget after the whole Edgar thing was around $550 million

You gay people are alright, you shouldn't be hating other minorities, c'mon man

We'll never hear, because for Disney they're not bothered about the initial box office, that's just a bonus and a signal boost.

The real money is in toys, product placement, streaming and media - which will provide them money for YEARS to come.

Is this sarcasm?

Learn how to save images marleldrone

>with all the good superhero movie going on
>some wants to see the opposite for a breath of fresh air
So, a BAD superhero movie?

It's not a grill if it's true

> Age of Ultron cost Disney $400 million to market
W E W

that would mean that Civil War was $650 for total production, and had a loss of 74 million dollarydoos, not counting reshoots and possible lowballing of the budget

jesus christ

Marvel rekt

Will Suicide Squad 2 do better?

Hahahahaha

$400 million + $290 million budget

$690 million total
$1.4 billion box office

cinemablend.com/new/Why-Disney-Executives-Apparently-Think-Avengers-2-Was-Failure-80867.html

>trolling

but its true

*troll

math is problematic

Reminder that WB own pretty much all the channels they advertise on

>One Piece literally outsells the whole capeshit industry
>Oda earns $20 billion a year while capeshit artists are literally nobodies earning average salaries and working on characters some old fucks created 70 years ago instead of doing something original.

What went right?

>Oda earns $20 billion a year
Citation needed.

Budget: $1billion
69 protagonists

cinemablend.com/new/Supposed-Avengers-Infinity-War-Budget-Almost-Shocking-87347.html

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/10/12/why-cant-avengers-infinity-war-cost-1-billion/

Is this the end?

It's actually $20 million dollars my bad

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2010-12-22/magazine/one-piece-creator-oda-made-2-billion-yen

It's not hard to deduce that AoU was a failure in the eyes of Disney executives. It cost more to make than the first movie and yet even made less. To any suit, that's terrible, terrible news.

No. This is the final nail in the coffin.

>6 writers
>4 villains
>4 producers
>Part of the MCU

What a great shitshow it will be

nothing because one piece isn't very good

>RDJ will get half of the money allotted for all the actors to get paid
>Took 50 million for a Captain America film
>Reshoots for Dr Strange involve him

SOMEONE STOP HIM

It's called infinity war because that's how much money it needs to be profitable.

Wait he was an actual character?

>moviefag never read Infinity Gauntlet

Laugh at marvel all you want but marvel still dominates in
>Comics
>Tv shoes
>Netflix
>Animation
>Games

Also,
>Michelle Janeeshua Washington

>mfw Spidey saves us from the MCU meme

Topkek

I meant the superheroes being the good guys

People liked the villains saving the day instead of the general good guy. There are so many movies of that already and the audience wanted something new.

>Suicide Squad beats all expectations despite the media trying its best to destroy it
>Civil War cant even beat Iron Man 3 despite having Iron Man (and Spider-Man in it) despite the media doing everything in its power to call it the 2nd coming