Does Cred Forums have something similar to this?

Does Cred Forums have something similar to this?

Appreciate any top or recommended comics (or cartoons)

Other urls found in this thread:

corecommendedcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Cred
comraderecs.tumblr.com/
reddit.com/r/truecomicbooks
reddit.com/r/altcomix
comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/23-reading-lists/23091-green-lantern-events-a-story-arcs#23092
Cred
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? That list is bullshit.

Also for #20 why does that cat have a gun?

The list was made by everyone saying their top 3 books. At the end they counted which book got the most votes; maybe Fear and Loathing had only one vote (there were over 120 votes). Forgot what happened when books had same number of votes though...
For the cat, I have no idea. Started going to /lit/ a few months back, read only 4 books from that list so far.

Does /lit/ like mainstream novels? What do they think about stuff like say, Harry Potter or Percy Jackson?

Or are they like Cred Forums in the sense they only like/pay attention to whatever makes them feel smart?

That's not to say this list isn't based to some degree. I'm finishing up Catcher in the Rye and it's been pretty good.

>I don't read anything unless my teacher forces me to

i feel like it would be too shitposting and not really fun to do a Cred Forums list like that. i've tried to think of how. i feel there wouldn't be good debate and shit over what went where.

No, and I'm pretty sure Cred Forums would just start a bunch of fights with each other if someone tried to make something like that.

plus like, single issues vs arcs vs runs ... i had more but they kinda come from there

Don't know about Percy but they mostly dislike HP.
Catcher was, IMO, fine but nothing too spectacular.

here's a (You)

Cred Forums and /lit/ made the same thing with the voting system, top 3 and count the votes. The lists have some terrible placements but are overall not so bad, maybe Cred Forums could try the same.

You can't be worse than pre-/vg/ Cred Forums, at least I hope not.

That's the only thing that was bothering me when I was thinking about Cred Forums lists...

>Infinite Jest number 1

>MUH CANON
I never should have been a lit major

>here's a (You)
Infinite Jest is the only thing there that wouldn't be put on an average high school or low level college reading course

I don't know where do you go to school/collage but more than half of that isn't in reading courses. Especially not in non-English countries. Besides, it's not like classic and most recommended books are bad. They are a classic for a reason.

>Also for #20 why does that cat have a gun?

That's Behemoth from the master and margarita, the cat's a demon in satan's entourage who likes guns

you could've put that in the tags
I hope it's something you learn fairly quick

topkek if you think Infinite Jest isn't being taught in schools these days.

It's both very obvious and not really important to the story. I mean, he's a giant pig-sized talking cat, obviously something's going on there

corecommendedcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Cred Forums_Recommended_Comics_Wiki
comraderecs.tumblr.com/

Neither of these are kept up but Cred Forums has plenty of charts.

There's comraderecs.tumblr.com, but it isn't kept up to date.
I have a couple rec images for general comics.

And here's for animation.

And reminder to ignore the fags who think asking for recommendations is heresy. If you don't know where to start there are always those willing to help, just don't be afraid to branch out past the usual recommendations.

The thing you have to understand about Cred Forumsmic fans is that we're probably the most toxic group of people you will ever meet. To so much internalized politics to what's considered good and so many false flaggers who keep bitching because either

A) UGH! That's so mainstream!
B) I hate it because it has that character I hate in it.
C) I hate it because it doesn't have that character I love in it.
D) But the movies...
E) I wont read anything that isn't from the big two.
F) I wont read anything that is from the big two.

You're better off asking a group of SJWs to ask tell you a funny non offensive joke.

That shit would never work with Cred Forums. This place is full of contrarians

What do you think would be Cred Forums's top five?

We got mountains of them.
Used to have a working tumblr to store them all, but hasn't been kept up with so most of them are years out of date and some flat out gone.

Still here's plenty of what I still have on the old folder of mine.

It's really hard to even guess.
I think Sandman would probably be up their and maybe Preacher.

Huh, /lit/ fucking loves Dostoevsky. Not exactly surprising.

And I've read 29 of those.

I could never get through Gravity's Rainbow, though.

Steppenwolf was to in love with the concept of a bourgeoisie that's since been macerated, freeze dried, reconstituted, and is now being sold in foil vacuum packs at Target.

Haven't read The Count of Monte Cristo; but I have read "The Stars My Destination" and I think that counts.

Also plenty of specific characters.

I feel like most of the people saying this is impossible to maintain on Cred Forums are mostly newfags, no offense. Cred Forums is still one of the chiller boards (though that says more about the other boards than it does about Cred Forums), Cred Forums has done it on a regular basis in the past and still sometimes does every once in a while. It's not THAT uncommon seeing a rec chart thread a few times a week.

Cred Forums itself or individuals?

cause we got 3x3

And of specific writers/artists

plenty of these out of date
again sorry these are old ones.

99% of X-ones should just be Claremont's run

>Brilliant

Did that ever get more than a handful of issues though?

Grendel gets Sci-Fi? I'm halfway through the first omni and there's no indication of that drastic a shift

>Alias
>Ultimate Spider-Man v2.

I didn't make most of these.
Pretty much me running from recommend thread to recommend thread downloadthemall to save them and organize them later (which I never did organize beyond having them all in one folder)

i didn't know velvet glove... was Horror

>Marvel Zombies.

>Photo shows Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness.

Kay.

I guess it was really a recommend for the entire series in general.
Or it was a image thumbnail added by the maker real fast.

most of "Cred Forums" these days don't even know about many comics, let alone outside the big 2

Big 2 =/= Bad

that wasn't the implication

I don't think that user was implying that, it's just that a lot of this board does know painfully little about comics. It'd be like if Cred Forums just discussed the latest blockbusters... Oh, wait.

He didn't say it did. But how are you going to get an accurate recommendation for comics as a medium when you're mostly pulling books from 2 companies that mostly focus on one genre?

But Big 2 = most well known (compared to smaller companies like Archaia or Action Labs)

Okay but in a top 100 list there would be 0 Marvel or DC.

Yeah, I just found it funny. I still think Army of Darkness should have made the list. Even though it sorta doesn't count because it's a horror comedy book.

No, but it makes recommendation charts kind of redundant when you can find most of these recs on wikipedia.

Can always add it.
I mean these things are hardly set in stone.

>Archaia

They seem to have gone to shit since Boom! bought them up, they hardly ever seem to release stuff anymore. Where the fuck is my Siegfried volume 3, damn it?

>you can find most of these recs on wikipedia.
Since when does wikipedia do recommendations?

Do you have one for Busiek?

For example, the Bizarro image I just posted needs to add the N52 Bizarro stuff that was pretty much all good.

I'll look around.
No promises though.

Thanks, no pressure.

It doesn't necessarily do recommendations but the more popular works/arcs will almost always be more in-depth on wikipedia.

Plus wiki has lists of most trades, especially when it comes to the big 2.

Didn't the recent Krampus movie have an adaptation?
Also Klaus was pretty great.

Those should be added

There were buncha issues of New Mutants that feature Kitty a lot and they expand upon her relationship with Illyana.

It's Cred Forums's favorites
Not a definitive list of what the best are. Just what Cred Forums likes.

So liking big two means you don't like or know about comics?
Get the fuck over yourself. You can like something like The Incal and TDKR at tge same time.

Gaiman's should include Coraline.
Novelettes count, right?

And this one doesn't need to be changed, because all the new stuff still applies to the recommended listing.

You make a fair point.

I highly doubt that.

I think this is just his comic work, but not sure on the Documentary thing.

Better than only liking casualshit like Cred Forums. I swear, 95% of comic discussion on this board is Marvel/DC. You would think comic books are only about superheroes.

So what is your top 3 Cred Forums?

Mine in no particular order:
Bone

Brubaker's Catwoman

O'Neil's Question

Y The Last Man

Witch Doctor

and pretty much all of Blackest Night

Have a 3x3

Top 3 not 9

I've never really seen Ennis hate here.

Some people hate Crossed, and idk A Train Called Love was pretty stupid.
And idk maybe some people hate him on twitter.

Cred Forums hates Miller?

I haven't read much yet since I'm pretty new to comics but from what I've read so far:

>JMS's Silver Surfer Requiem
>Ellis's Stormwatch
>Gillen's Journey into Mystery or Starlin's Thanos Quest

No recommend of Run Riddler Run?
I shouldn't even post this damn recommend image.

Also Zero Year story was pretty okay.

Then take Avengers Forever, Chew, and Born Again.

Honestly this is the best way to conduct the poll just to put some hamper on people who may spam. Well this or have a mod tally the votes, but that's laughable to expect.

He draws contrarians and shitposters mostly. You have to admit that his work did drastically change starting around 9/11.

Maybe, but /lit/ did their's based off top 3.
And even then I wouldn't put it against some shitposter with a dynamic ip to make multiple 3x3s

Everyone should read Thanos Quest.

Thanks to MCU every casual is asking "who's this purple skrull dude?"
And every single one of them should have a copy of Thanos Quest throne at them.

most of the Recommended GL stuff also kinda acts as a required reading list for the modern GL stuff, since it had like 2-3 ongoing comics at the same time and it can be confusing for a new person trying to figure out how you're supposed to read Geoff stuff onward.

Also needing to be added to image:

New 52 Batman & Robin
Batman: Son of Robin

Yeah, but that list mentions DKR and Year One. And for Ennis it mentions preacher.

Holy Terror, somewhat justifiably, caused a bit of a stir when it came out.

Love & Rockets
Hellboy
Sweet Tooth

it's a meme image

that'sthejoke.png

Image thumbnail is too small to tell exactly what ones are recommended.
But wanna personally note: Poppy O Possum and all the Riceboy stuff is great.
Also It Hurts.

Just checking that you know, but that image is ironic. It's saying you can call these writers garbage, just ignore these works by them which are all quality comics.

Ooooooh dats a big'n.
Look at this beaut.

No, read again, I never said anything about liking anything in particular being bad. I said (or intimated) that only reading and talking about certain stuff is bad or at best just very narrowly viewing the medium. Like claiming to love cinema but only watching some action blockbusters.

I fucking love Commando and Star Wars, doesn't mean I don't also watch some obscure Asian stuff. By the same token, I like Nextwave and that German expressionist elseworlds series, but I also like Buddy Longway and Corto Maltese.

Maybe I haven't looked but I've never actually seen a Cred Forums chart for regular plain old comic strips.

holy fuck user, OP here
are all these pictures posted by you?
thanks for delivering

Also the Rebirth Detective Comics is pretty okay so far.
Though it is kinda dissapointed that Detective Comics is in name only. Not any detective work going on at all.

These threads used to happen almost daily back in the day.

If we're lucky this will spark some updates to half these images.

Also I feel like DKIII is good enough to recommend.

I made this one a couple of years ago, it took me fucking ages and I lost the PSD, so I probably will never, ever update it.

Shit.
I thought that was a pic of Frank Miller recommend.
I must be fucking blind.

ALL of the comics on that chart are worth looking at. If only DKR/Year One/Preacher jump out at you then you need to start reading more comics.

I'd put Aetheric Mechanics on there too personally.

Cerebus the Aardvark, by Dave Sim and Gerhard

Prophet, by Brandon Graham, Simon Roy, Farel Dalrymple, Giannis Milonogiannis et al

Suicide Squad, by John Ostrander, Luke McDonnell, Kim Yale et al

AWW SHIT IT'S MY MOTHERFUCKER PHANTOM STRANGER!

Also he was in an issue of the recent All Star Section Eight.
I forget which issue.

God I love Muh Phoenix

I believe this is a reading order.
And probably an out of date one.

I literally have a degree in Literature that I got in May. I know it's not unless you're specifically seeking it out through some modern authors class

I feel like there are plenty you could add to these 2

>my experience is the same as everyone else's

Ooooooh alphabetical.

this tbqh. this book is hot pretentious garbage

>shit he knows more than me
>better just use MUH SUBJECTIVITY, that'll show him

Welp idk which of these two Spiderman lists are the better.
So enjoy both of them.

Lmao, you can't guarantee there aren't schools out there assigning it to students.

Fuck theres to many of these.
Half of these are repeats or slightly updated versions that I can't tell are the most updated cause tiny thumbnails.

I didn't know you knew the curriculum of every school on earth

If you really did major in Literature you'd known anecdotal evidence isn't considered enough to "win" an argument.

I'm also sure you didn't read every other book in OP's chart. That doesn't negate the fact that other students have read them in class.

too*
fuck

And you cant guarantee that it's common which was the original implication

Also first volume of Flash in n52's artwork is godlike.

And since Barry causes Flashpoint, I think that event counts as a Flash comic.

user, you're a god
gonna check the rest tomorrow

here's a cake, I hope you like cakes

>Franken Fran

Wouldn't that be considered manga? Seems that the rec list could do without it being there.

so it's /lit/ then

I don't really have a dog in this race, but I'd say a statement like

>topkek if you think Infinite Jest isn't being taught in schools these days.

Kind of implies that it's being fairly widely taught

I'm not trying to, I can't say it's true either way. But i'm not trying to prove or disprove it based on my limited experience.

iirc some of these issue numbers are wrong.

>Manga (漫画, Manga) are comics created in Japan or by creators in the Japanese language

Nobody said that it was common, simply that it's taught in schools. If there are even two schools where Infinite Jest is taught then the original statement that sparked this discussion is correct.

You can't guarantee that it's common either, so that's a moot point to bring up anyhow.

>Lolita
Of course a book about pedophillia would take one of the top spots. Typical Cred Forums posters..

I apparently just tried to post an image I already did.
Fuck I really should have just gone down the list repeats and weak lists and all.

Shouldn't Scalped be under Western?

Crimes can happen in the west.

Yeah, but most westerns to a certain extent are technically crime stories that happened in the west (I'm talking the genre as a whole, not just comic westerns), so it's kind of silly to make the distinction with that one comic.

Also Valentine Catwoman is amazing.

idk maybe it was placed in the wrong section.
I've personally never read Scalped.

Respectfully I think you're judging the tastes of the board by discussion and that's inherently flawed on the internet because topicality will always trump reverred past works.
There's only so many times we can say "Sandman thread? I love sandman! It's great!" Even so many in depth anaylsis will be reduced to copypasta because the work is done. It's over and finished.

Whereas the Big 2, for better or worse, are enduring, ongoing narratives. So literally every week there's something new to talk about. That doesn't mean the more high concept stuff isn't loved; just that we've talked it out and there's no new developments to discuss.

All of Ostrander stuff should be recommended.
I swear that guy had a midas touch

Prolly add the recent Bizarro short for Jimmy Olsen.

The only western comic book series I have ever read is this one and it is a masterpiece.

It's better than you'd think, yeah.
Though I found it a lil weird it devoted so much visuals to musical lyrics.
I mean music in a visual medium without including the music sheets?
Moore knew to do that.

Also to add to Plastic Man.
That one issue of Injustice (who's number I can't recall)

I can't really agree with that point. For one, non-big 2 stuff comes out every week too. And there is discussion of older big 2 series as well. I'd also dispute the ongoing-ness, as there never seem to be many changes caused by one storyline that actually carry over to the next, but that's a different conversation.

I suppose at least we're better than reddit, their comic book subreddit's front page tight now has 15/25 threads directly DC/Marvel, and that's actually quite good for them.

Should also include Legend of Wonder Woman minirun.
Was real good.

Just Imagine Stan Lee Creating the DC Universe was actually pretty okay. Should be included the next time someone updates it.

Fuck.
I simply cannot find the damn reading order list for Blackest Night.

All the interesting submissions go into the niche subreddits, but they rarely get any comments.

reddit.com/r/truecomicbooks
reddit.com/r/altcomix

Fuckit.
I've been at this for like 2 hours or something.
Break Time.
Will add more if I find the will to do so later.

If anyone still has their old recommend images, please join in.

I used comicrack back then and I think I downloaded the file that used to be here:

comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/23-reading-lists/23091-green-lantern-events-a-story-arcs#23092

Didn't enjoy the event though, but hey.

Nice that looks to be right.
Good show user.

Without making a poll, here are the comics that I see recommended to newcomers most often.

Any thoughts?

I would switch Orc Stain for something from Eisner like A Contract with God, but I can dig the rest of it.

I've got a different chart for Mr. Eisner.

If you're going entry level, scott pilgrim or one of the cartoon history books could do well. It's good to target other interests that introduce them to accepting comics more (in this case vidya or history)

What is the 2000AD comic with the hover car on it. I can't make out the title.

It's not my own personal recs, it's mostly what I see other people recommend.

Thanks for the tip though, I'll probably add Scott Pilgrim on the next revision.

Thanks user, found a couple new comics to read tonight

Nemesis the Warlock. Shit is real good.

Thanks for all the great recs.

Break time over
back to trying to figure out which rec images I haven't already posted.

Anguirus and all things Kaiju are Cred Forums related
if you say it enough times it becomes true.

Biiig chunk of superman related biz in these last few

Always need a good recommend list of pain.

also I've heard nothing but praise for the GI Joe vs Transformers or whatever thing from recent

I feel like there have been just too many great recent Godzilla comics for this image to possibly be close to up to date.

Doug Moench's Moon Knight

iZombie

Loeb's Supergirl

The animated recommends are a lil more few
I think it's because we all kind of know what to recommend or enjoy on that already.

>Brave New World at 64
>1984 at 15

Guess which book is actually prophetic while the other one is pointless fearmongering

Somebody give me their opinion of DMZ

>Catcher in the Rye
>16
M-Muh teen angst!

>accuracy is more important than actual (subjective) quality
Shut up, nerd.

How was this poll conducted? Were people allowed to nominate one title, a small number, or as many as they wanted. Also, the fact that it hits sub-10 votes by the third line means it's not exactly not exactly a definitive list.

Well I'm tired again of telling Cred Forums I'm not a robot.
So fuckit again.

>painted

Black Orchid needs to be in there

>scenery porn

any Sandman

>horror

Locke and Key
Hellblazer

>Minimalism

Habibi might count

>anthropomorphism
also Plague Dogs

>rotoscoping
Wizards - Ralph Bakshi
Savage Planet

>animated choreography
Aeon Flux

never mind, I just read a review saying the book is far left propaganda, which is believable. I just want an apocalyptic story with cool characters

how is East of West not in there?

Descender
Roche Limit
Low
Dreadstar
Gilgamesh II
East of West
Planetary
Top 10

i didn't "get" sin city at all

hell and tarnation

>this is missing "Born"

Seeing as this thread is here, let me ask a question. Are there any comics that you can recommend that is fun and lighthearted like the 60's Batman TV show?

Simpsons?
Rick and Morty
Bob's Burgers
Gwenpool
The Tick

>far left propaganda

fun fact: the u.s. anthem is racist. read the unedited lyrics.

There is 66 Batman comics
A digital comic series set in 60s Batman style in both design and writing.
Even able to make what 66 version of Bane or Lord Death Man or many others would be like.

It's pretty great.

4/7
I'm so far behind in my reading.
5/9
Bone nearly made the chart for me.

Why does Cred Forums hate Miller?

Bad creators are a diamond dozen in this doggy dog world of ours, but these unmatched douchebags are a cunt above the rest.
Not a day goes by when somebody on Cred Forums doesn't mention what horrible, overrated hacks these terrible creators are.
You should always trust in the collective wisdom of Cred Forums, for Cred Forums is experienced and knowledgeable in all matters.
These worthless wretches have never produced anything of value in all of their godforsaken lives.
Avoid them at all costs, or may God have mercy on your soul.

Any recs for Hulking?

That one is old as fuck.

To be fair, I update it both too often and not often enough.

>no Love & Rockets
>no Terry Moore comics

pic related is the newest reading order

Tell me webcomics to add to the last row. Preferably not dead stuff.

If you're okay with post-apoc, try Wasteland or Finder

each user casted 3 favourites
votes were counted and the list was made
I said it earlier in the thread

>Did that ever get more than a handful of issues though?
Cancelled by the publisher after only one volume because of maybe lack of interest.

Thank you
Yeah pretty much all of mine are way too old but use what ya got ya know.

DrMcninja and It Hurts are close to dead but I love them both.
Gunnerkrigg Court, Paranatural, Cucumber Quest, and Poppy OPossum are good (though be prepared for anons to spam about tumblr hacks or something)

Oh and Wonderella is all kinds of good stuff.

"Jason-John Arne Sateroy" makes no sense since Jason is his nom de plume, not the title of a comic. The categories and the comics in them are making me REEEEEE, hard.

some detective needs to replace batman. get Question on board

I think current Question might still be the n52 one.
A name stolen from his mind and history immortal, who was judged by the gods along side Phantom Stranger and Pandora,
And was stripped of his face so now he shapeshifts and mimics people as he sees fit.

>Bone (Jeff Smith)

About fuckin' time, as far as I'm concerned this is absolutely ESSENTIAL reading for anyone who wants to get into non-cape comics.

Wonderella has switched to nonregular updates now. Curious to see how the first big story goes.

The current run of New Avengers which is ending soon.

Hermetic Garage

Cerebus

Wake

I'm a euro and I hardly read comics, preferring books, but I have read:

- Asterix, maybe half of them
- Beauty
- Beautiful Darkness
- Belladonna (French Belladone) by Ange (Anne Guéro)
- Cerebus, only read a few so far, a mixed bag
- Ekho
- Giant Days
- Gunnerkrigg Court
- Lanfeust of Troy
- Le Transperceneige by Jacques Lob, in French, later as Snowpiercer from English scanlation
- Les Nombrils, Bellybuttons in English
- Miss Don't Touch Me
- Incal, some
- Prophet, some
- Rachel Rising, but I got bored after the first few
- The Airtight Garage (Le Garage Hermétique de Jerry Cornelius)
- The Maxx
- Tintin, in French and English
- Wake

There's also the comics storytimed here that I liked but can't exactly recall:

- Bone
- Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea
- Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City (both by Guy Delisle)
- Promise, set at end of civil war, demonic horror I guess
- Sandman
- Undertaker by Dorison et Meyer

Probably missed out others that I liked but made no note of.

Here's another neglected Cred Forums wiki :
- Cred Forums-co.wikia.com/wiki/Cred Forums_Cred Forums_Wiki
Pic related is someone's attempt at ordering scifi into Big Two and the rest

>Moby Dick #2

When will people realize that having vague references to the bible doesn't make something good?

>tfw 3 countryman of yours are in top 10
CКOЛEH
К
O
Л
E
H

And Cred Forums is an American-only imageboard?

That's a fantastic chart, I'm sad that you won't update it.
Also I'm not knowledgeable on comics, but what do you think about adding Leo Pulp to the Crime list?
By the way, everything on there I've read is amazing, really glad to finally see Dylan Dog on a chart, never seen him in any charts before. Same goes for Tex Willer. Have you read some other Italian stuff like Comandante Mark, Il Grande Blek, Alan Ford etc?