Bob Kane: Batman is not a faggot!

>Batman is the epitome of virility and manliness—just the opposite image of the fag. Wertham read homosexuality into this thing because I had a man and a boy living in a big house together—in the same bedroom—with just a butler and no female around. The doctor read homosexuality into it, through his eyes, but for that matter he also put down the WONDER WOMAN comic as a lesbian invention.

>It was all hogwash but I had to do something about it anyway. So I changed their bedrooms and I added Aunt Harriet—sort of a mother to both of them.

>Even so, I suppose the homosexuals like the TV show because of those tight outfits Adam West and Burt Ward wear. I imagine they sit around watching them on the screen and slap each other on the knees with the sheer joy of it all, but what can you do about that? I can’t change the characters because they weren’t homos in the first place and because you have to be crazy to fight success.

cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-bob-kanes-extreme-bat-homophobia/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Steranko
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

nah he's gay

Well, the same bedroom thibg isbreally weird.

>This guy from 50-80 years ago was homophobic!

Wow stop the presses.

Does it get worse in the link or something? Slurs aside he isn't really saying anything too outlandish. Just describing the changes they had to make because of that dumb book.

Anyway I'm sure this will turn into a Dick/Bruce thread now

>he added Aunt Harriett

Aunt Harriett was added by editor Julius Schwartz to align the comic book with what was happening on the television show. At that point, Kane had no input. He wasn't even drawing it. Sheldon Moldoff was ghosting it for him. Just one more Bob Kane lie.

>Kane takes credit for others work
Big surprise!

Won't someone post that Steranko story?

I met Steranko back in June or so at Heroes Con. I didn't have any of his stuff on hand to sign, but I mentioned that story and he lost it. Had a good laugh about it and told me that no one deserved to be bitch slapped as bad as Bob Kane.

Based Steranko.

sorry dont really know to much about bat-history, could someone explain who Steranko is? I know Kane drew a lot of the art in the early stories (Most of it poor and traced)

Fucking Steranko man. Someone post his life stories.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Steranko

Synergy has always been a fucking mistake.

I mean hes not wrong. Homosexuals will project their sexuality onto anything.

Has there ever been a Batman story where a Girlfriend gets suspicious of Bruce Wayne because he was always going out at night and showing up all bruised? and so she thinks he's secretly gay??
and then she's like "Well you're either gay or...i don't know..BATMAN"
so then Bruce has to pretend to be gay so she won't think he's batman

has this story ever happened?

requesting clown painting story

Or he could just call her a moron and come up with one of dozens of other cover stories.

Steranko has nothing to do with Batman, but he's a big Marvel guy who WE know for bitch-slapping Bob Kane for being a cunt.

He always explains the bruises/scars as skiing/horse riding/race car driving/etc. "accidents"

Stan Lee's 933 years old and he's no homophobe.

>not getting into increasingly absurd Three's Company style shenanigans

what do you want? a Batman story about fighting crime???

That's some Chris-Chan level of anti-gay ranting.

He just said Batman wasn't gay. Hows that homophobic ?

seconding

Yeah nothing in that seems that extreme.

"...you've got some weird ideas about how gay sex works, Silver."

>all that solid truth
homophobia my ass. if that's a homophobe, then sign me up for the white hood and invite me to the cross-burning.

only in the 20th century. literally everyone else who ever lived thought it was common sense.
you know how kids hate sleeping on their own, and get scared and cry? that's because they're not fucking supposed to. it's astounding, i know. who would have ever thought maybe their instincts were right?

>Batman is the epitome of virility and manliness—just the opposite image of the fag.

Look, the dude is from over half a century ago, it's homophobic but it's dumb to be shocked by it or defensive of it, it's just the culture of the time.

it's the culture of all times
except briefly in greece, rome, and japan. and even then the manly one was the giver, while the one receiving was understood to be a little puss

If Robin is young enough to get scared sleeping on his own then he's too young to fucking fight crime, retard.

>It's the culture of all times
>Except for all these cultures
>And a bunch I don't know about
>Cred Forums please notice me

It's not uncommon in many cultures for the family to sleep together or under extraneous circumstances. I shared a bedroom with my dad when we were members of a 4 part family with 2 rooms.

>Wertham read homosexuality into this thing because I had a man and a boy living in a big house together—in the same bedroom—with just a butler and no female around.

Huh........thats pedophilia, not homosexuality asshat edgetard.

Well, that is quite literally what Wertham said so Kane wasn't technically wrong when he made that statement.

Bob Kane doesn't know about Wonder Woman

>caring in the first place about anything Bob Kane says that isn't an apology to Bill Finger

POST THE CLOWN STORY

nobody gave any fucks about that back then

Did they really care much about the difference?

>“Bob had gotten to the point where he never drew anything. Never drew anything on the Batman comics, anyway. [Sheldon] Moldoff was ghosting them all and when he didn’t, someone else did. The only thing I think Bob ever drew was when we’d be out somewhere, in a restaurant or someplace, and a pretty girl would come over to him and say, ‘Are you really the man who draws Batman?’ Then he could whip out a little sketch for her, a big sketch if she was wearing something low-cut and would bend over to watch him draw.

>One day I’m over at his house to discuss this newspaper strip idea we had and he’s talking about who we might get to draw it. I was going to write it and we were going to get someone else to draw it. I’m not sure what Bob was going to do on it except sign his name. I said to him, 'Bob, isn’t it disappointing to you that you don’t draw any more? You were once such a great artist.’ He wasn’t but you had to talk to Bob that way.

>He said, 'Oh, no. Let me show you something.’ He took me into a little room in his house. It was his studio. I didn’t even know he still had a studio. It was all set up with easels and things and there were paintings, paintings of clowns. You know the kind. Like the ones Red Skelton used to do. Just these insipid portraits of clowns, all signed very large, 'Bob Kane.’ He was so proud of them. He said, 'These are the paintings that are going to make me in the world of art. Batman was a big deal in one world and these paintings will soon be in every gallery in the world.’ He thought the Louvre was going to take down the Mona Lisa to put up his clown paintings. I didn’t have the heart to tell him.

(1/2)

(2/2)

>So a few months later, I’m up at DC and I ran into Eddie Herron. Eddie was another writer up there and we got to talking and Bob’s name came up. Eddie said, 'Did you hear? Bob’s getting sued by one of his ghost artists.’

>I said, 'How is that possible? Shelly Moldoff’s suing Bob? But they had a clear deal. Shelly knew he wasn’t going to get credit or anything…’

>Eddie said, 'No, not Shelly.’ Bob was being sued by the person who’d painted the clowns for him…”

Source: the late Arnold Drake

beautiful
thanks

If he says Batman isn't gay then why is Batman so gay?
He insisted he created him and did tons of shit with him so clearly he helped make Batman gay.

Was this before or after the Joker appeared in the comics?

>implying Bob Kane would ever apologize to anyone ever

>slap each other on the knees

Is that what people back then thought fags did to each other? That's fucking hilarious.

These Kane stories are pretty great, any more?

Bob Kane is within every right to assert the sexuality of his creations and he's not a phobe because of this.

That said he's raging cunt who stole from Bill Finger and I hope the devil is raping him sideways with a pitch fork

I don't know about that, but there's a Robin story where he comes to school with 2 black eyes and his teachers think Bruce Wayne is beating him.

People only started to differentiate between the two in the 70s.

>Bob Kane is within every right to assert the sexuality of his creations and he's not a phobe because of this.
>his creations

>who stole from Bill Finger
-and Jerry Robinson
-and Lew Sayre Schwartz
-and Sheldon Moldoff
-and you can probably throw in Don Cameron, Joe Samachson, Edmond Hamilton, Charlie Paris and a few others
-oh, and the guy who painted the clowns for him.

Cred Forums on suicide watch

you are you liberlcucks ever going to recover from that?

does anyone have the story where he disowned the joker after someone said he was gay

Do you think he had to play up being one to fit in with society back then?

>Oh yeah, those darn gays...grr!

>It's homophobic to write a straight character and leave him that way
COOL!

>the fag
>the homosexuals
>homos

His way of referring to gay people sounds awkward. Were the wordings he chose considered insults back in the 1960s, or were they neutral lingo at the time?

Either way, I can see why he was complaining; it can get pretty annoying to deal with shippers or moral guardians who are obsessed with subtext. But I've also understood that Kane was a bit of a stealing dick, so I'm not feeling too much sympathy for him. Interesting quotes though, I wasn't aware that Kane felt bothered by that stuff.

I read up on bundy I think. how one of his victims was like 14-5. and the officer just thought he bundy's lover and there was just a minor dispute and let them hash it out themselves. at least i think it was bundy. the 70's was a fucking weird time.

Really?
Do you remember which issue it is

>his creations

For the time this was considered progressive thinking.

>I said to him, 'Bob, isn’t it disappointing to you that you don’t draw any more? You were once such a great artist.’ He wasn’t but you had to talk to Bob that way.

LOL

>Eddie said, 'No, not Shelly.

Sweet baby Jesus, I am legit laughing out loud at this.

wrong on so many levels user.

Aunt Harriet was added in 1964, to replace Alfred after he'd been killed off. Alfred coming back to life was the change they made to tie into the series.

>"A lynching? Excelsior!"

Nowadays a creator can't be openly upset when people want to gay ship their creations. You have to give the PC answer "if you want to interpret them that way then sure they are gay" At least Bob stood for the integrity of the characters.

Is Stan perfect? I mean, besides slightly screwing over Jack Kirby.

>because I had a man and a boy living in a big house together—in the same bedroom—with just a butler and no female around

I don't even care for the whole "lolBatmanisgay" joke, but that comes off as pretty gay.

you can still tell it like it is and say no or yes. However, if you go maybe you can bait a few more readers.

Bob Kane standing for integrity is a paradox.

>slightly
Lel. And he screwed over more than Kirby. Ditko, Orlando, Wood...
He is objectively the worst person to have ever worked on the industry.

>Bob Kane
>creator
>integrity

Bob Kane is comic book Satan

this is not up for debate

He'd pull the backhanded apology of "Sorry I'm great and you're not".

Someone post that one Robin doujin. You know which one.

>Bob Kane
>integrity
>literally stole and took credit for the work of other creators
Shut the fuck up, Jesus.

>Batman is the epitome of virility and manliness
Why does this line make me laugh so much?

I'm not saying Kane didn't do a lot of skeevy things. But as far as I am aware, he was the origination point for Batman. I also said he stood for Batman's integrity, not his own.

That's been normal lingo for fags in Australia forever, maybe you're just a pussy.

He came up with the name Batman and that's about it

>Even so, I suppose the homosexuals like the TV show because of those tight outfits Adam West and Burt Ward wear. I imagine they sit around watching them on the screen and slap each other on the knees with the sheer joy of it all

> Superheroes weren't attractive in the comic themselves
> it was the tv show that brought all the gays

???

>Batman is the epitome of virility and manliness—just the opposite image of the fag.

WTF I love Bob Kane now.

Dick in the comics looked pretty fucking gross. Short like a kid, but basically with an adult body. Really weird.

Burt Ward however was incredibly attractive and apparently had huge enough junk that Catholic League of Decency complained about that in addition to the bare leg thing.

>Homophobia

It's not a "phobia". People are disgusted by the gays, not afraid of them.

If you wrote a fanfic of this I'd read it, no joke.

I think there was a short story where a bunch of women get together and talk about Bruce and they come to the conclusion that none of them actually slept with him
But I could be remembering wrong

>The doctor read homosexuality into it, through his eyes, but for that matter he also put down the WONDER WOMAN comic as a lesbian invention.
I can't imagine where anyone would get that idea.

Why did they draw them in the same bedroom anyway?

IIRC it that was a scene Kevin Smith said he wrote but editorial told him was unacceptable.

Probably so they could have them talk in a relaxed environment.
Why they didn't just use the batlounge, I'll never know.

Supermans synergy is usually for the better

>a man who's a product of the times is a product of the times
Congratulations CBR on your top notch reporting there

God, Bob Kane was such a closet homo.

I find it funny because CBR acknowledges that Bob Kane is a product of his time frame but then double take it and follows it up with saying that even for his time frame it's pretty homophobic

>Still, even while taking into account the era Kane was in when he made those comments, it’s still a shame to read such nonsense.

>But thanks to Clyde for bringing it to my attention, as I think it is worthwhile to see it, as dumb as it is.

I actually pissed on Kane's grave a few years back.

No you fucking idiot. Everybody knew what they got up. But what was he going to say "I'm sure they sucked each others cocks with glee" ?

Thank you, I was just about to ask someone to post this tombstone.

>Casket stuffed with Batman toys circa 1998; i.e. Batman and Robin movie figures

>Forever decomposing next to a Chris O'Donnel Robin figure

At least Chris O'Donnel was hot

Ok but how did Kane explain things like

>a golden shower
They're not even subtle

The bat-cave is Robin's anal cavity and the batmobile is his prostate, "repair the batmobile" means they're just going to smash heavy machinery into his ass.

Robin Dick is too pure for that, user.

I never said anything about Dick's dick, user.
Just the bat-cave.

>smash heavy machinery into his ass.
oh dear

Bob Kane had nothing to with the creation of anything past Detective Comics 28.

I'm at least glad that they're putting Bill Finger into all the credits now. Guy deserved it.

Go on...

I'll need more out of context homoerotic panels to work with.

>I'm at least glad that they're putting Bill Finger into all the credits now.
Something like, 30 years after he died penniless and alone on a fucking park bench.

It's called Photoshop.

Isn't that image gay enough without adding something about urination?

I know, I was just making a joke and being a bit of a faggot about it, which shouldn't be surprising considering the nature of this thread.

Ok but that's still gay without the peeing

>cold shower
Not much better desu.