Isn't Thor just his name and not a title? I don't get it

Isn't Thor just his name and not a title? I don't get it.

Other urls found in this thread:

newsarama.com/30738-marvel-comics-november-2016-solicitations.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Have they explained why Thor isn't worthy anymore? Whor's been around for like two years now and we still don't know what happened.

Sliding timeline I aint gotta explain shit

He has existed for Millennia, it has become a title out of the nature of myth & folklore. Thor = God of Thunder. So whoever is the god of thunder is Thor basically.

Technically Thor should be a Thunder God even without the hammer, in the 10th Realm mini with Angela, he conjured a cosmic storm that traveled across space without the hammer, but that has been handled very inconsistently over the years.

No, you get it, user. Marvel doesn't get it.

>Have they explained why Thor isn't worthy anymore?
He's male cis scum.

>Have they explained why Thor isn't worthy anymore?

he forgot to wash his hands when he was taking a dump. an honest mistake, but it cost him everything

>in the 10th Realm mini with Angela, he conjured a cosmic storm that traveled across space without the hammer
God that was such a fucking awesome moment.

Thanks for bringing in logic before the shitposting began

Ask Eric Masterson.

It's all a prank that him and Nick Fury set up. Fury whispering was him explaining how funny it would be and Thor just played along. At the end the hammer is gonna fly to Thor and him and Fury are gonna jump out and be all like "Surprise bitch! I can't believe you actually thought you didn't have cancer while holding the hammer."

Yes it is his name, and it is a little weird.

When Hank Pym became the Wasp he didn't go around being called Janet. Because that would be weird. It would be weird for him to be exalted as the one real Janet, and have Crusher Creel knock out Titania to give him a one time only bros before hos pass.

It would be as weird as if Steve Trevor was going around as Diana Prince of Themyscira, and Hippolyta was reduced to a shrieking harpy declaring him a false Diana and trying to kill him to get the lasso.

Replace Thor with the name Frank.

If she was just X Goddess of Thunder, that would be fine. But Thor makes the whole thing a little off.

they never have
they never will until Jane's sales drop

It's his name but it's also a title

Eric Masterson and Dargo took that name when he was Thor and around the time Bill debut it he was being advertised as Beta Ray Thor.

Pic related none of them are Thor Odinson.

Thank you man. I feel like I'm the only person on the internet who remembers Eric Masterson being THOR and it actually causes me physical pain when people shit themselves over Jane Thor as if it's a new material.

I'm sure it'll make a lot more sense to you when the whispered secret is revealed.

I hate the idea in both contexts.

so...never?

>Make sense
>Retcons.

How to spot someone who's new.

There's an Unworthy Thor miniseries coming up. If they ever want to explain it, that's the place to do it for sure.

Thor being a role and not a name is some shit Aaron made up

Beta Ray Bill wasn't Thor, and Odin literally said "Wow son you suck you could learn a thing or two from this badass horse alien cyborg who is almost certainly not a struggling cancer patient"

Odin doesn't act like that around Jane. He is portrayed as an asshole for not accepting Jane though. Because when someone steals something that rightfully belongs to your son, you getting upset is wrong.

I think Aaron just might have massive daddy issues. He had Cyclops kill Xavier, and that's not even counting Southern Bastards...

>not sure if hammer loss.jpg

>miniseries
Hold the fuck up! I thought it was an ongoing.

Not as far as I know.

>Just goes by a patronym.
Hey look everybody, it's Odin's kid. Couldn't he have chosen a different name entirely? Like Thunder? Which comes from Thor as a word anyways.

Actually, that's a point. Is Thursday in the Marvel Universe named after Thor? How far back in history was Thor known? Do the Norse gods hold the same place in cultural history in the Marvel Universe as they do in ours? Do Thunder, Thursday, and others like Wednesday for Odin, have different origins in the Marvel universe?

Try not being such a misogynerd shitlord and maybe you'll grow a clue!
/thread

>Do the Norse gods hold the same place in cultural history in the Marvel Universe as they do in ours?
yup

Why would he call himself Thunder? He no longer has anything to do with Thunder, if he won't take on his actual given name then it makes less sense to take on a moniker that alludes to the position he's no longer worth of. They more or less hold the same cultural history up until he became a superhero.

Perhaps a bit of both. Some names become synonymous with the thing that they're actually supposed to be, like Aspirin, Band-Aid, Velcro, Coke, etc. Thor I guess became more a title than just his name and he's fine being Odinson, like Coulson, wonder when he'll find out 'son of Coul' is alive in the MCU, I forget if Sif was supposed to tell him or not.

Should have gone with Kid Odin or Odinboy. That'd be a way better superhero name than Odinson.

>THE UNWORTHY THOR #1 (OF 5)
From the November solicits: newsarama.com/30738-marvel-comics-november-2016-solicitations.html

You know Marvel is never going to follow up on this.

You're Thor? I'm tho thor I can hardly pith.

You have to be retarded to think that. It's ridiculously obvious that one day the Jane thing is going to run its course - both because they have to kill her off from that cancer eventually and also because status quo - and Thor will be back in charge of his own book. Plus since when does Marvel ever pass up on an opportunity to use controversy and what-a-twist! moments to sell their books in place of good writing? Even if they have to come up with a shitty, half-hearted reason that makes no sense (which is what will likely happen) they'll do it sooner or later for sure. Almost 100% in the Unworthy Thor book.

More likely the Jane series is going to go on for a couple years then cancels due to poor sales, then she will appear in team books for another year or two before maybe falling into obscurity. Then another year or two goes by and a new writer wants to try the Thor thing again and had Odinson appear in the book but this guy never really knew what was going on with the whisper, and the writers of that era are mostly gone or don't care. It gets passed over without a mention assuming fans will not care either.

I think I recall something about leaving Coulson to tell them himself.

No one at Marvel gives enough of a shit to follow up on it now. Not even a mention from Unworthy Thor or Jane either. No one in universe cares about the Fury thing and no one at Marvel talks about it building into anything either.

It is for all intents and purposes dropped now.

I half-expect Thor to be back by the time the Thanos movies hit theatrs.

The difference between Jane and Eric is that Eric was actively pretending he was the original Thor. Nobody in the Thor books acts as if Thor Odinson just suddenly became a woman though.

Okay, depending on how you read the Titania scene, SHE may have genuinely thought that, but Titania is kind of a dumbass.

Unworthy Thor is about him becoming worthy again. Aaron can be a shitty writer sometimes, but I seriously doubt he'll write a story about Thor becoming worthy again without bringing up why he isn't in the first place.

>He no longer has anything to do with Thunder

Even without Mjolnir, he's still got SOME aspect of his powers. He attacked Loki with lightning in Axis while he was unworthy.

Man this is so retarded.

It's literally his name!

>You have to be retarded to think that.
Here's what you have to realize user. Whenever people think the Big Two (lately it seems to be Marvel) is going to do something that seems absolutely retarded, ask first. Are WE retarded for thinking they'll do that, or do we think THEY'RE retarded because we think they'll do that?

But he wasn't Thor. In Infinity Gauntlet he mentions severel times that he's just pretending that he's thor, trying to convince everyone that its so

Didn't he already become worthy again during the final battle with the Beyonders?

Jason Aaron is not a smart man.

I know he wasn't Thor. But he was going by Thor's name because he had Thor's powers and shit. It's literally the same case with Jane, except she can't pretend she's him.

>Marvel.com: The title of the book is UNWORTHY THOR, which means Odinson continues to be unworthy as he has been since the end of Original Sin. In a larger sense, what makes him unworthy? Why put it right there in the title?

>Jason Aaron: Right, well that’s a good question. Again, I’ve said all along that this is all kind of part of the grand plan. I know what Nick Fury said to [Odinson], I know what those words mean. Readers still don’t know what they are. We will find out when it’s the right time. This story is definitely the first time where we’re dipping back into the events of Original Sin and into that confrontation between [Odinson] and Nick Fury. We definitely touch on that in a big way. Do we find out what Nick Fury said just yet? I don’t know, you’ll have to wait and see. Does the Odinson know what made him unworthy or does he not understand it? I don’t know, that’s part of the mystery as well.

Sounds an awful lot like he's going to avoid telling us what the reason for as long as possible, the absolute madman.

Why did they turn Thor into a total cuck?

it's almost like he's writing ongoing stories to keep readers hooked as long as possible

It's almost like they have no idea what they're doing and pretending to be clever about it.

it can be multiple things!

>like he's writing ongoing stories to keep readers hooked as long as possible
Or he could just write a good story, that people actually want to read, and then they'll read it.

I don't understand how one person can be so naive.
Pardon the platitude, but where you born yesterday?

Aaron's Thor has been consistently good though.

also that's great for a one shot but that ain't the business

How does a man go from writing something as good as God of Thunder to something as total trash as Whor?

There's no use in trying to reason with some people here. Two years ago you would look like a crazy person for even suggesting that Peter Parker would get his body back from SpOck because everyone was so convinced that Dan Slott was telling the truth about it being permanent. Comics are a flat circle and people just don't get it, none of these changes last forever.

>your real name isn't Thor

>and also because status quo
Marvel is trying their damnedest to change the status quo to be all minorities and women. Marvel comics died in the 80s. X-treme killed them once, SJW pandering is just pissing on the grave.

I babysat a kid whose parents named him Thor recently.

Who did he get cucked by? His hammer?

I worked with someone who named their kid Thor as well, but that's because they were from Sweden or something. I guess that's not really much weirder than hispanic people naming their kid Jesus.

retarded.

They go straight back to status quo when a movie comes around. I suppose they could just shove a Hulk cameo into Thor when Ragnarok comes out for that synergy, though with Banner being dead not sure how they'd go about that since Cho Hulk or She-Hulk isn't going to bring in the casuals.

>The last page of the last issue is going to be Fury Watcher whispering to Jane FosThor what he whispered to Thor, thus making her unworthy as well.

the whole goddamn series has been building to a heroic sacrifice from Jane

Great so SJW'S are making aliens THOR too?

>They go straight back to status quo when a movie comes around.
Since when? Civil War II didn't involve Tony vs Steve again. Sam is still Cap. The only real movie synergy they've done is GotG. Right now the movies feel more like classic Marvel than Marvel Comics has in like 20 years, which is sad because the movies aren't exactly faithful either.

It better be or else it makes having Cancer seem like not that big of a deal.

I mean at this point all she has to do is keep the Hammer at all times to stop from dying. Thor's a bro so he's not gonna' just let someone die to get his hammer back.

Which would make him worthy again...which would be a problem only if he wanted to take the hammer back. But taking the hammer back would make Jane die, and thus make Thor unworthy.

Head hurts so much.

Except that's not even remotely how it went down.

Steve Rogers became Cap again in time for the movie which is the status quo, not Tony v Steve. And Peter Parker became Spider-Man again in time for Amazing Spider-Man 2. Odinson will become Thor again in time for Ragnarok.

>Which would make him worthy again...which would be a problem only if he wanted to take the hammer back. But taking the hammer back would make Jane die, and thus make Thor unworthy.

Seems like the kind of Paradox Loki or Hel would come up with.

>except she can't pretend she's him.
Don't you fucking try to sneak past that, that right there is a massive difference.

>If you keep the hammer then Jane Foster dies

Not to mention Odin trying to pick up the hammer and not being able to. Now Nick Fury being able to get some information that if given to Thor would make him unworthy, sure I can buy that I guess. Nick Fury being able to hack the enchantment itself so much even Odin can't do shit about it I can't buy. I mean not even the Sorcerer Supreme should be able to pull that shit off.

>I fucked you're waifu
Please tell me there's an edit of this.

Huh, if it's a mini with Coipel, I might just go ahead and get this.
I was on the fence because I've lost a lot of enjoyment I used to derive from Aaron, but I think I can do for 5 issues of Coipel.

Maybe? For all of Marlel's infinite creativity, he could've just been Un-Unworthy.

That scene was pretty metal though.

Isn't the opposite true since Jane is foregoing treatment to keep the hammer?

Context?

>Jason Aaron is not a smart man.
How does that image demonstrate that?

No, the whole reason why She-Thor is a thing is because Marvel's trying to push for the very loud but very minor feminist-heavy crowd that only look at comics from a surface level, never buying them, that keep shouting for more diversity when the diversity they speak of is skin deep and separate from actual characterization. The fact that they tried to make her identity such a huge "mysterious" build up was a mistake when people already were guessing it from the start. It's almost as bad as when Marvel killed off Bruce Banner so they could push the Asian high schooler Hulk instead because the way he died was fucking bullshit. Yes I'm still mad about it.

Which is bullshit, he's not unworthy anymore, he can take the hammer back at any time.

"The power of Thor will kill Jane Foster."

And it is killing her, by purging the chemo from her body every time she transforms. Thor became "unworthy" because he didn't want to be anymore.

Not him, but I'm guessing the earth's plates don't work like that? Just sealing up the top probably wouldn't do anything because they're just going to slide off eachother again.

Funny thing is they;re already bringing Banner back, his death was just a mechanism to arrange this. Why would he want to be the Hulk again, when all he's wanted is to NOT be Hulk? By having it forced on him by AIM.

>feminist-heavy crowd
And then Mockingbird was cancelled, so maybe they're starting to come to their senses.

I'm guessing that the Phoenix Force doesn't give a shit about plate tectonics?

Aren't they bringing Banner back next month?

But how could Nick Fury know that? That process hadn't even started yet, and it wouldn't have started without Nick whispering at Thor.

Christ, Original Sin must be the worst Marvel event ever, with the possible exception of Schism.

Some writers are shit.

The Watcher's brain told him.

Squirrel Girl got cancelled, that doesn't mean they're coming back to their sense.
On that note, it wasn't about wanting him to return to being the Hulk, for me it was that Bruce wasn't doing anything at the time Hawkeye shot him. It was more like Hawkeye did it all by accident and it just seemed so pointless to have all that set up when Bruce already purged the Hulk out of him by that point.

>And then Mockingbird was cancelled, so maybe they're starting to come to their senses.
Everything gets canceled at Marvel numb nuts. It was selling like shit and they've got a relaunch coming up. They haven't learned anything since She-Hulk is taking over Hulk's book now and Carol still exists.

>The guess doesn't make sense therefore Marvel's writing is bad! It has to be, because that guess must be right!

OR... maybe, just maybe, that's not what Fury said. (crazy, I know)

Wouldn't it purge the cancer as well? Or do you mean that when she transforms back into Jane the cancer's the same as it was but the chemo was purged for whatever reason? I don't understand why it'd purge one and not the other but it's magic, ain't gotta explain shit, I guess.

Also I'm pretty sure Cyclops' powers don't work like that either.

>not knowing beta ray bill
fuck off retard, he's 33 years old

He didn't check his privilege.

That's actually a good theory, but how the hell did Nick Fury know that?

>Comics are a flat circle and people just don't get it, none of these changes last forever.
A lot of Marvel characters haven't had secret identities in over 10 years, Steve probably hasn't been Cap for the most of those. Peter hasn't been a photographer in forever, and Aunt May wasn't around much last I checked. Magneto probably hasn't been considered a villain in the same amount of time.

Aunt may got married to JJJ's dad.

That doesn't make sense

That's PhoeniClops

seeing how much of the new series is focused on the hammer being sentient I wouldn't be surprised he whispered something meant for the hammer instead of thor

>unworthysayswhat.

>He has existed for Millennia, it has become a title out of the nature of myth & folklore.
What? Why not call her Zeus then. It's a name, it's not a title. There's nothing complicated here. God of thunder is a title, Thor is a name. Jesus is a name, Son of god is a title.

>except she can't pretend she's him.
Eric was pretending to be Thor.

....It's like going in circles.

>i fucked you're mom

Because she didn't get the power of Zeus, she got the power of Thor.

That seems entirely plausible.

Usually Thor is portrayed as kind of shitty at using his wheather powers without Mjollnir: he CAN use them but it takes him much longer

If they don't give Thor his book back altogether I can see him and Whor getting their own separate series

>Whosoever Holds This Hammer, Be They Worthy, Shall Have the Power of Thor

>>Whosoever Holds This Hammer, Be They Worthy, Shall Have there name legally changed to Thor

>their
fuck autocorrect for ruining my comeback

Why exactly, out of all planets in the universe, the only worthy one for the hammer was Thor's ex-girlfriend?

Underrated

they are getting their own seperate titles. we've seen the solicits. Odinson's book is The Unworthy Thor while Jane Thorster is staying on The Mighty Thor

Underrated af

It also looks like Unworthy Thor is going to be picking up the Ultimate Mojinr. So theyll just be two thors going about.

she's easily manipulated, gives a fuck about asgard, won't feel guilty for opposing the mind controlled Odin, and is basically too addicted to Mjolnir so will do anything for it

His point is that Eric wasn't Thor. He only called himself that because he was PRETENDING TO BE HIM.

Justifying Jane taking Thor as a title with this is like saying Bruce Wayne is a title because Hush.

Didn't they also replace Odin with three chicks called the "all-mother"?

I'm still mad that Jane Foster apparently goes down in history as the greatest Thor ever.

"She who bore you best" my ass.

Consistency is an illusion, Canon is a lie.

But this angle is BS as well. Neither Marvel, nore DC give two shits about fans. There was a time when communication via letters was allegedly important to building the brand, but after they switched to selling through Diamond, indivudial customers buying single floppies in shops plain stopped mattering to them. What you saw then exactly came about because they don't have to give two shits and because releasing more new series is nothing but profitable to them. Comic shops are forced to buy them regardeless of their quality or their customer's interest in them, so they'd be dumb to not take that cash by regularily retconning everything and releasing all-new origin-issues for every single one of their characters.

I'd really like to read Unworthy and have it be a return to the fun adventure stuff Aaron was writing in God of Thunder, but that's probably too much to hope for.

That's a very big hand.

>Thor, do you know about your cis, white, male privilege?

>WHAT DID THOUST SAY!?

Nope. They literally don't even know.

>whoever is the god of thunder is Thor basically

Zeus and Raijin aren't Thor.

This is stupid. Thor's identity isn't tied to Mjolnir, he was Thor long before he picked up the mallet.

Rebirth.

> except she can't pretend she's him.

So why call herself Thor?

The Norse God of Thunder you shitposter.

So he's still Thor then?

Hol up. Thor was worthy again in the final confrontation with the Beyonders.

That wouldn't make him unworthy. That would mean she was unworthy because she doesn't know how to use the powers. Plus Nick wouldn't know that anyway.

Literally the only reason is "because the writers wanted it"

STOP BEING SO FUCKING INSENSITIVE

I mean, who gives a shit about Norse mythology, it's just buncha fairy tales, amiright xD

user its been sittingat poor sales for a long time.

Tectonic plates don't work like that fusing two together would cause infinitely more problems.

>never buying them
This meme again. Whor has been Marvel's best selling female book for a good while now.

>who gives a shit about Norse mythology
Not Marvel
>blonde beardless Thor

its at like 40k and droping. Almost all the female titles are. I think kamala is the only exception.

>its at like 40k
Which isn't terrible for an ongoing female book that's not Harley Quinn.

He's just being dramatic.
Probably also drunk considering the time frame this image is from.

Cyclops shoots kinetic blasts, right? Wouldn't he need heat vision to seal up a fault? Can a fault even be sealed?

>Cyclops shoots kinetic blasts, right? Wouldn't he need heat vision to seal up a fault? Can a fault even be sealed?
Not unless you tell plate tectonics to fuck off.

Phoenix Force

I don't think the writers got it either.

a plug is not going to stop the plates from counting drift apart. There's immensely more powerful forces moving them.

Agreed. It's not often we get to see him without his hammer, but it's always nice when writers remember he's a god who just happens to have a weapon too.

Thor is captured, his hammer taken away, and tortured by angels. Eventually, he reveled that, while they were torturing him, thinking him powerless without his hammer, he's been calling a giant storm to kill them all, since he's the fucking god of thunder.

Read a theory that what ever Fury whispered was actually to do with Mjölnir than Thor himself.

Not sure how strong that theory is as I havent read Thor since the God Butcher arc

Mjonlir has basically become Stormbringer, hasn't it? It's jerking her around like a puppet.

See

Unless he willingly did it, pretty much nothing will make sense.

>Cyclops kill Xavier

WTF?

I want to see more of this.

>all it took was a whisper
>mjolnir's a girl
>what...? What didst thou say?
>thor realizes it's true
>mjolnir realizes thor had no idea
>throws a fit, declares thor unworthy
>begins a lengthy plot to bodyjack one of thor's old flames

How new?

kek

I don't read this shit, I'm just here for the cartoons and yaoi.

So why the fuck do you care?

Muh Phoenix event

That was what, 5 years ago? And then they left town, if I recall.
Not really complaining about that, better than them trying to kill off May again just to "shake things up", if they wanted to get rid of her in stories.

Too bad the real one will be tainted with ultimate shit.

Thay also changed Asgard's name to "Asgardia", because it needed more feminazism.

That... that makes almost too much sense.

>take it on its face
>put a bandage on the line that will only mean its gonna build until an even worse quake finally breaks through

>phoenix force stops plate tectonics and and the forces related
>everyone on earth dies because this means the internal forces keeping the earth working have stopped

CYCLOPS
ALWAYS
WRONG

>and yaoi
Are we browsing the same Cred Forums?

>god
nobody cared about thor till he got a sex change and now everyone is slobbering to get his cock back in their mouth. simple marketing strategy

Chemo is exogenous drugs injected into your body. Cancer is your body's own tissue gone haywire. If the transformation were to purge cancerous tissue, it would also affect all the other tissue in your body as well.

Should I use the term beefcake instead? Or nightwing thread?

If you want to me precise.

>Can a fault even be sealed?

No and heat if anything would make it worse. Not to mention shifting continents is a good thing, since it means the earths crust is still moving and nice and hot. if it stopped the planet would lose its magnetic shield and would probably become a lot colder.

To be fair, I didn't know that either for a while because I didn't want to look at that travesty called AvX.

Did you read the most recent issue? Because, Odin's beard that shit is dumb

Did you read the most recent issue? Because, Odin's beard that shit is dumb