Hellboy/BPRD/Mignolaverse Thread: The End is Nigh Edition

>Panya and Kate dead
>Iosif's soul shattered by the dagger that killed Satan
>The original Watcher angels have returned to Earth to fight the Ogdru Jahad
>Johann's sanity slipping further and further away

so much happened last issue it's ridiculous, how the fuck are they doing a third mega arc after this? who's gonna survive past Arcudi's run? when's Abe coming back?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4vatC69dQx8
youtube.com/watch?v=HhwWAciO6F4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

also holy fuck we finally got the full backstory of the first and second fall of angels

meanwhile Hellboy and the BPRD is just fun as fuck

I'm curious to what will follow hell on earth
what characters are left abe, howards, liz and maybe johann

Howards has been a no show this arc too, hope he gets in on the last two issues

Fuck. I missed last issue, anyone have it or able to storytime it?

oh boy, time for the six people on Cred Forums who read this mignola shit to circlejerk

How did Panya and Kate die????

so salty

I should really catch up this series.

You'll see, Kate and Panya will wind up in heaven and continue the fight from there.

let's find out together

youtube.com/watch?v=4vatC69dQx8

youtube.com/watch?v=HhwWAciO6F4

2 issues remain...

whatever reason this immediately made me think of this page

I've been excited to speculate with people. None of the dudes I work with who read comics read Mignolaverse stuff.

How is this going to end? The Watchers destroy the Ogdru Jahad and the vrill dissipates outwards only to be nabbed up by a lurking Varvara (I think she'll definitely play a role in what comes next for BPRD)? Or will she scoot on back to Hell and try to rebuild?

What comes next? We know that Kroenen has Von Klempts head and is at large. Could circle back to that a bit.

Balls, yeah, that's pretty fucking cool. Especially having been there multiple times with different characters now. They were there the whole time.

Howards will come back. We never saw what came of him scraping the rocks at the end of End of Days. Abe is obviously coming back, though in what capacity? The end of his series was lackluster, sure, but it's pretty clear he's not going to slip into another agent roll. He could have taken over for Kate. Liz will survive, and I think Johann will end up becoming something else entirely. Phoenix is still kicking around, as is Nichols and Ashley. I'm guessing she'll take on a more prominent roll in the next mega arc.

Remember, it's OK to let go.

Giarocco's still around too, and her inevitable fate...

I'd like to think the alchemist that made Roger was somehow inspired by the form of the original Watchers

God i wish Harren stayed on as main artist. I really don't think that Campbells art suits the atmosphere of the story. I hope he's not main artist on the next big arc

Good memory, I had forgotten about that.

And then there's this! Smells like Von Klempt. Really though, I'm just anxious to see where these new mysterious characters are going to end up from the end of Beyond the Fences.

Campbell's art always seems to range from stunning to just okay, but he can really nail it when he has to

But death off screen doesn't mean anything in comics. I mean, look at Iosif, or Roger, or any other major character

bump

Anybody else care?

;_;

Kate has been such a fuckin' hard-ass during her tenure as BRPD chief, it just doesn't seem real to see her go

Oh Iosif, may you're universally splintered self find some sort of peace in its division

Vat iz little girlz' end game?

>Abe is obviously coming back, though in what capacity?
What if he replaces Kate and becomes the leader of the new race of man?

Seems kind of odd her just giving up like that, but then she has been shouldering quite a bit of burden.

Man, the last thing I remember was Liz duking it out with black flame.

What has happened since?

I dunno if getting blown all to shit by a space god is really giving up.

Johann possessed the Sledgehammer suit, Enos got shot in the face, Iosif released Vavara, one of the Ogdru Jahad is on Earth. everything is fucked.

Iosif's consciousness splinters into forever and Johann is slowly but surely expanding his consciousness into forever. Fucking fascinating. I can't wait to see how they're arcs come together again

I loved how Hellboy's reaction to hordes of Nazis suddenly pointing guns at him is barely more than mild annoyance.

Kinda surprised he didn't see it coming. I mean come on, what did he expect from the hellspawn he'd kept imprisoned for decades?

Seems like it to me, did I read the story wrong?

It looked like she knew Pana was going out there to die and specifically joined her instead of going to the helicopter that left before.

So it's already way too late for mankind in the Mignolaverse, right?

Our best bet is to go into space (not happening), become the new Fair Folk (damned English took the only ride on that boat), go underground and hope that when Liz burns the surface clean it doesn't go too deep (Frankenstein still has a nice spot) or... fuck, that's basically it I think.

Every other decision is just a matter of waiting decades or centuries for the slow grind of extinction.

I'm pretty sure like 40% of humans are dead already. England became a wasteland and the rest of the world is pretty much in the same boat.

I'm just gonna say it: Shonchin let me the FUCK down.

I've been saying he's got a plan for like... three or four years, and I've been pinning all my hopes on that bastard.

But he's fucking worthless, and a traitorous coward who is trying to redeem himself through good works, but doesn't have a damn plan.

Fuck, I hope the fishmen do better than the apemen at not letting the monster-gods into reality.

Haven't read in years, but I was wondering. What happened to these guys?

Bump

Mignola couldn't figure out what to do with them and so they got dumped.

They're one of the only real loose ends in the Mignolaverse. I think they've been seen once since that panel.

Damn shame. Thanks though.

I just got the first Library and powered through it pretty quick. Now I have to wait for the other ones to come.

I know it's a long shot on whether or not someone can say for sure now, but does anyone know if someone has made a new archive for all the Hellboy stuff? With Kickass gone and all. I only downloaded the archive there from last year, so I haven't even gotten all of this new stuff downloaded.

First HB Library? There are 6 of them out? Plus 5 BPRD omnibuses.

What's happening here?

can anyone tell me offhand if Iosif and kawaii uguu are in hell in issue 142?
or even what they did in it?
iv been buying just the last few issues, because its been doing with hell, and i only pick up bprd trades (which i am no fucking way up to date) so i dont know what those two did that issue

im pretty sure they enter hell in 143, but my lcs doesnt have a 142 for me to check what happened in it with them

Yeah, there's 6 of them. I've got a few more coming. 2 of the Plague of Frogs omnis are out of print though, which sucks.

142 actually was the end of the previous arc, which was a divergent story following Ashley Strode as an exorcist.

We see them at the end of 139, where she's released, and then we pick back up with them in 143 strolling through the dead forests.

oop in paperback? They were just released in big fat tpbs last year. I can't believe that they'd already be oop.

There's also an Art of HB Library that's way oop and hard to find, as well as a 20th anniversary hardback book that's pretty nice. I'm guessing the ogns will be put into a Library, as will HB in Hell.

I'm making a Chronological (by release date) Mignolaverse torrent or MEGA folder, should be done in a while.

thanks, i might pick up 139 on the offhand then if they have it. 143 seemed to pick up with them new, but i wasnt sure, and the covers dont really help obviously

Fuck you man, I haven't caught up to some of that stuff. Why did you have to put the spoilers in the OP?

Will be closely monitoring these threads 'till then. Thanks in advance for the good work. Really love this setting.

I moved into my first flat and just found out Laurence Campbell lives a few streets down from me, he sells his artwork framed. Really want to get something in all honesty.

The paperbacks are still in print, but I'm a sucker for hardbacks and am hoping that Dark Horse reprints them.

You planning on storytiming it all?

>dealing with 30,000 captchas
I don't have the endurance, man

I started buying Hellboy from the beginning. But if you want to get into this universe, do you have to buy every book? Or is there some place I can read everything online?

I'm with you, I jumped on the BPRD train just after the 4th hardback was released, and snatched em up real quick. Happy hunting.

the fun thing is that i remember it were aliens who helped humans to stand up against Ordu forces and they even came close to the destruction of them in the space but their ship was destroyed.

Get a pass and go afk.

I wonder if/how he will ever make use of that

Some guy is planning to make a MEGA, so look out for it.

their ship got destroyed. one of them went on earth by teleporting and helped some hero. they also instale some kind of back up system for humanity survival granting humans and little folk to enter it so they can survive the Ordu zergrush.

I will miss her the most

that's me
My personal chronological collection is complete up till about mid-2014, need to fill it out. On top of that, the external HDD I keep it on has a borked wire, need to get a new one. Probably a week until the upload'll be done.

Fucking bitch

they are atlanteans

I read it like that too, but thinking about it, she could also have grabbed her hand to convince Panya a last time only to be surprised by the headquarter's destruction.
Nobody seemed to have expected it to happen so soon.

>I've warned you, Nichayko.
I think this is a hint at why Iosif got stabbed, and that was the end of it. I think this is the moment that broke him, and this is the moment when hishard-ass zombie Russian style broke against the cliffs of Varvara's mental torture, the sight of Satan and the Angels.

Panya's and Kate's death caught me off-guard, but not Iosif, we all knew he was gonna die.
I just can't understand why he went out like a bitch.
Did Varvara lull him into a false sense of safety?
Did he give up?
Was he too awe-struck by what he saw?

I'd say Iosif was caught by the last two.

hates dogs....I hope a frog kills him.

I think by now he is just too broken to put up much of a fight.
Hell definitely got to him

Man, I am so out of touch with anything Mignolaverse... Do collections of stories exist I can buy? Is anything finished yet?

Save humanity so she can continue to play with them?

He though it was going to happen sooner and with a lot more of fire

He never returned to his loved ones ;-; This moment is just so much worse now.

I don't. Not anymore.
I found last three years of Mignola-related stuff to be extremely disappointing.

Hellboy in Hell, Abe, B.P.R.D., even Baltimore and Witchfinder.

Which, I guess means two things. Either my interest in Mignolaverse or the Mignolaverse itself is running out of steam. Wonder which one is more likely.

/blog

Don't forget Hyperberum

Yeah. Roger's death, Daimo's death were impactful, meaningful, powerful, and unavoidable. It was well-written.
This issue had 3 characters die. None of it had the same gut-wrenching feeling.

What happened to Devon

That's how I feel, too. I realized recently that Hellboy and BPRD haven't really progressed in a long time. It's just the same cycle, over and over. I think he let them run too long.

I've never read anything Hellboy related, only seen the movies.
What kind of ride would I be in for if I grabbed me that first Library Edition and jumped in?

that's because is the end of an era. We still don't know for sure if two of those three characters are really death

Do it!
*dead

Also, i really want this in a T-shirt or something

>Do it!
Enthusiastic answer, but lacking in detail.

It's not that.
Did you feel any closure? Do you feel these characters reached their goals, or had an arc of emotions and decisions that lead to this moment?

You can read comics online for free.

Yeah, I know of some places, but I want copies for myself without watermarks or any of that kind of stuff on the pages.

Mignolaverse comics are an emotional rollercoaster, and up until Hell on Earth, I think it was one of the best comics running. You should check it out because the stories, characters are unique, and the writer doesn't treat them as perfect snowflakes, they're fleshed out, and you can relate with them, and hate them at the same time. Roger is best boy.

Alrighty then.

Is best girl still alive?

Hellboy in Hell is the conclusion to his story not the climax, everything after his fight with the dragon is just for some closure. I thought it was great, he gets to fully subvert his destiny, throws hell into chaos, and gets to retire peacefully.

The BPRD stuff has devolved into "power up further to defeat the new big bad". The art has gotten worse as well. The only characters I liked were Varvara, Iosif, and especially Johann who is actually sacrificing himself for his friends and a world he doesn't belong to.

The Abe Sapien stuff is definitely hit or miss. Abe is my second favorite character behind Hellboy but other than the satanists and him learning about his past the Abe Sapien series has been lackluster.

Mignolaverse and especially Hellboy are fantastic. I'm glad you are getting into it.

>I'm glad you are getting into it
Hopefully so will I.

To me, Hell On Earth has been from start to finish about about powerlessness and just trying to survive in the face of an overwhelming force. So did they reach their goals? I think as much as anyone could in a situation like that. Same goes for the decisions they all made. Best of a lose-lose scenario.

But the story isn't over, which I guess is why I'm not upset. That and I really do just enjoy delving into the world and mythos, even if it is a little long in the tooth now and then. Mostly it's just a really fun thing for me to sink my teeth into.

I got my local library to bring in essentially every mignola book released so far. Libraries are under utilized resources for comic book nerds.

>putting this many spoilers in the OP

fuck yourself

That isn't Agent McThighs.

inb4 the third arc is entirely about them trying to reclaim earth

This. OP a cunt.