Anyone here ever heard about the Impact Universe?

dc.wikia.com/wiki/Impact_Universe

Apparently it belongs to DC Comics

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_Comics
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Circle_Comics#DC_Comics_licensing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_Comics

>Impact Comics was an imprint of DC Comics that was aimed at younger audiences. It began in 1991 and ended in 1993. (The initial "I" in the logo looked like an exclamation point, but the name of the imprint was not !mpact.)

>Impact's titles featured the adventures of revamped versions of superheroes licensed from Archie Comics including the Fly, the Comet, the Shield, the Jaguar, the Web, and the Black Hood. Changes included making the new Jaguar a woman and making the Web an organization instead of a solo hero. This was the third attempt to revive the old Archie heroes, after the Mighty Comics line of the 1960s and the Red Circle line of comics in the early 1980s.

Archie Ultimateverse?

These characters started as archie then went to dc and they tried to make then a thing but it failed twice so archie got it again

Oh, sure.

I see these in cheap bins a lot.
Like, the CHEAP bins.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Circle_Comics#DC_Comics_licensing

Some of these characters look more interesting than Wildstorm characters but this isn't saying much.

Oh and you'll love this part.

The not-Captain America and not-Iron Man characters were involved in a debate over registration with the government.

In 1992.

Not-Captain was pro-reg and Not-Tony was anti.

Good going, Millar.

Hahaha

Millar is a unoriginal hack that works with good pencillers.

Man I love seeing those old attempts to integrate some other comic characters into another

I'm old as fuck. I used to read those as a little kid. They were some of my first comics.

They tried relaunching a lot of these characters back in 2009 years ago under the "Red Circle" brand. JMS was kind of overseeing it. It was hit or miss. The rights went back to Archie and they tried and failed at reimagining it (again) in 2014.

One of the better things to come out of the 2009 incarnation was "The Shield" ongoing. It's worth reading. Military superheroes vs Grodd, Kobra, etc and Marco Rudy channeling Steranko with some criminally under-appreciated art.

Does anyone really like these characters or this universe? I picked up a few issues in the 90s and it was the blandest thing ever. I have never heard of anyone actually reading or liking Red Circle/Impact and I mean I've heard everything. And yet companies keep rebooting it and trying to make it work without an actual built-in audience.

Relaunched again as Dark Circle (which will return next month) with just The Shield and Hangman, with the Black Hood added after all these years.

>I picked up a few issues in the 90s and it was the blandest thing ever. I have never heard of anyone actually reading or liking Red Circle/Impact and I mean I've heard everything.
I worked a newsstand bookstore at the time and never saw a single issue sell.

The Fly was the best title.

I actually liked that Red Circle reboot from a few years back, never read the 90s stuff though

like millar had any hand in who's for what. blame bendis and quesada instead
as much as I'd like to blame millar, jeez, can't believe I'm defending him

Thank you

The Red Circle/Archie heroes are kind of weird in that it seems like every few years there's an attempt to revive them and it always fails. The characters just don't seem interesting enough to really carry it.

Integrating them into the DCU was a better idea but also seemed to be pointless if they couldn't outright own the characters which left them in a weird sort of limbo on the outskirts of the DCU.

fair enough but my point stands that they did a civil war type storyline pitting the same 2 characters against each other and then those greasy fucks stole the idea

Who is Impact's not-Iron Man? The Web? The Comet?

>The Red Circle/Archie heroes are kind of weird in that it seems like every few years there's an attempt to revive them and it always fails. The characters just don't seem interesting enough to really carry it.
The problem with the current Dark Circle iteration is the bigger release window between single issues because of various circumstances beyond Archie's control.

The really interesting part is their silver age launch. It started with Simon and Kirby doing stuff for Archie, and then when Marvel really took off Archie tried to "Marvelize" their superhero titles. This involved hiring Superman creator Jerry Siegel and having him try to imitate Stan Lee's hyperkinetic words and captions, and Paul Reineman trying to be a poor man's (a REALLY poor man's) Kirby. It was super sad to see and pretty much absolutely terrible, but definitely so bad it was also entertaining. The imprint was also known as "Radio Comics" for that period.

The 1980's "Red Circle" imprint followed the continuity and characters established in the Radio Comics stuff, but was substantially better.

Wasn't that all the Archie Comics owned superhero's who DC got the license to do back in the 90's?

I remember I think I read and issue of The Crusaders where they had to stop a group of terrorists from stealing a nuclear bomb that had been abandoned in its silo by the Soviet Union when it collapsed.(Talk about dating yourself.)

Thats actually a pretty cool cover.

>Wasn't that all the Archie Comics owned superhero's who DC got the license to do back in the 90's?

Yep. DC no longer has the license or the rights to them.

Damn i remember this.
Did DC not do this with T.H.U.N.D.E.R Agents as well?
Imagine if all those stuck around for new 52, now that would be crowded as fuck.

I love Impact, and many other versions of Archie's superheroes. I like the simplicity of the characters. That if you take the ears and cape off of Batman's cowl, you're left with a black hood, and he's called the "Black Hood" because he wears a black hood.
i like that the characters are such blank slates. I don't go into their comics with the baggage of expectations created by adaptions, fan theories, retcons, etc.
It's like looking in from the outside. I find that quite refreshing.
And the art is usually great, often by artists I follow anyway (like Mike Parobeck, Steve Ditko, and Alex Toth).
I get that I'm in the minority on this, but I hope this was interesting to read

How do you feel about them changing the Jaguar from dude to chick?

Indeed. I picked up an issue of the Crusaders for 50 cents.

>Did DC not do this with T.H.U.N.D.E.R Agents as well?
Yes, in 2010 apparently. Written by Nick Spencer

Oh shit i found that trade the other day.
Is it good?

The Hangman is a literal hangman.

My dick was and still is okay with it.