stumbled upon this amazing episode that has great character development

teaches you a bit about life and delivers the message perfectly

why don't they do this more often ?

i actually wanted to learn more about the characters

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PnK5B49KKvo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Saw the Hall of Egress recently.

Creative idea that reminded me why I liked the show.

different people write different episodes so that way they can consistently put out. the downside is the show loses its own consistency. this is the problem of the network development process.
i would personally rather have one season packed full of awesome episodes than 9 seasons with a good one every now and again

I'll give it a try

I thought that episode was awful.

What did you dislike about it?

Ironically most people though the episode was shit
good news for you though, that's what most of season 7 (and parts of 6) is like

holy shit that was a pretty decent ep
so basically the darkness in that episode was suppose to be life and not knowing what was going to come next ?

because they ruined the main cast and as much as they fucked up they are still the main cast.

Maybe?

There's definitely a coming of age subtext when it comes to having to wander forward, blind and on your own.

No? If you ever decided to post in the talkback threads you'd know the majority of is enjoyed that episode. You're talking out of your ass.

How so?

Why is it that there are so many people claiming there's subtext in "Hall of Egress?" I recently watched it and there's fucking nothing. It's just a Finn episode and him using trial and error eventually finding his way out.

I think you just don't understand what subtext is.

It wouldn't be the first time the show used conflicts and symbolism to explore emotional issues.

This was one of the laziest ways to teach a lesson

>character shows up who has a specific way of life and the plot has decided that it's the correct one
>other character plays along with said way of life to further one's own goals
>other character realizes own goals are insignificant in the face of the specific way of life
>episode ends with the focus not on the goals, but on the way of life, the goals are insignificant the attaining or loss of the goals no longer matters, if they do it sure, if they don't also sure

I feel like they used that device a lot in modern cartoons
especially in Adventure Time, but also increasingly in Steven Universe
I've also seen it in Star Vs. and really any show with a stubborn main character

I think Morituri te Salatemus was a better way to handle this episode
>similar premise
>other character is increasingly confused by character's actions
>in the end, character finishes their goals and has time for other character's goals simply because they were more focused in what they were doing and followed through
In that episode, Finn knew his friend so well (even if he was slightly out of character), that he was able to save the day and have time for his friend to learn a lesson about responsibility by leading not by example, but by forcing that character to have a revelation

tl;dr
we shouldn't want leaders if the people they lead only know how to follow

Did the lore ever go anywhere? I think I watched all of S2/3 my senior year of high school because it interested me lorewise, but college and stuff. 3 years down the line, have they dine anything besides the Lich and the weird alt universe?

yeah, a little
and there's tons more backstory stuff too

it's just not super worth it with all the dreck you have to get through if you planned on watching all the episodes

Sort of?
Plenty of backstory stuff but they don't effect the show itself, which is why so many people gave up on it.

It's all build up but no pay-off.

What do you mean "go anywhere?" Define this phrase I see it too often to not know exactly what it means. "The Lich" wasn't lore, it was just expanding what we had not seen in Ooo. Normally lore just rids ambiguity for the fans that seperates the setting from surreal to sci-fi. That's usually as far as it goes, no?

>"The Lich" wasn't lore
yes it was
it was an ancient evil previously responsible for certain things that happened in the past, tied to history through cosmic events
it was a huge part of the backstory, the problem was, we just don't know to what extent

Dreck? The only obstacle for me in rewatching all 236 episodes that have aired was the act of doing it. Going through 44 hours worth of material literally doesn't happen in a day. The drudging is mostly having to go through so many episodes.

That was "Finn the Human/Jake the Dog."

Wh-What? The entire episode is an allegory for Finn growing up. This guy has a pretty good video summing up the interpretations: youtube.com/watch?v=PnK5B49KKvo

I would say that some episodes simply aren't worth watching if you are after specific things like lore, but unfortunately they have plotlines stuff or introduce characters, so they are technically important if you want to grasp all of the show

Recently they've put a lot of focus on stuff that happened way in the past, or lore I guess, like Marceline's origins and whatever else. Usually it's brought up in a way that pretends it's gonna change the status quo but ultimately doesn't, which is why no one cares anymore.

>giving me some tismos video "review"
These types of videos are just speculation, and is just their interpretation off of something that wasn't the writers intent. I could apply multiple themes to other episodes, it just pisses me off so many are all over Hall of Egress.

Yeah. You can't plan for everything, and sometimes you just gotta charge on through and see what works.

actual spoiler
the meteor that brought the lich here was first attempted to be thwarted by the elemental Urgence Evergreen before humans even existed, Urgence being the being who made the crown.
We find out that the lich knows the history of the universe and that he still lives through sweetpea, "first there was nothing, then there were monsters, then the lich appeared and then there were no more monsters" to paraphrase
It's definitely lore

How does lore change something? Lore explains why something is.

the show got its head up its ass for a while, but now it's creepy and emotional but with the fun and whimsy of the original seasons

Whole seasons are about Finn growing up, you realize?

Whole seasons show Finn growing up, but they aren't about Finn growing up
the difference there is that the point of a single season of adventure time isn't to show Finn growing up, but just to contain a series of episodes

Who else watches this for comfy SoL-type weirdness? Lore is something I'll leave to SU

>meteor attempting to be thwarted
From the season 6 episode "Evergreen."

>Lich has always existed revelation
From the season 6 episode "Be Sweet."

What are you going on about? "The Lich" as in the finale for season 4.

It explains why something is, which means it explains why something is happening, which means if something is happening that can change the future, it can be traced back to the past. Problem is nothing changes. Actually, that's not the problem. The problem is the show pretends things will change and then blueballs everyone.

I like the lore a whole lot but I feel like it's all over the place in a sloppy way. Comet stuff was kind of dumb, Simon's storyline is just getting weird. Still love the basic concept of nuclear war turning into a magical fantasy land but overall I'm mainly in it for the characters and jokes.

I got somewhat decent fanfics if I want more lore and backstory and shit.

I assumed that wasn't referring to the episode because he didn't have the lich in parentheses
I also didn't assume that you meant the specific episode and were using parentheses for some sarcastic effect

Besides, he said that he watched Seasons 2 and 3, with "The Lich" being one of the later episodes in the 4th seasons

I wasn't nor have I ever been talking about the specific episode and I thought I was clear about that

I don't understand the rivalry between "lorefags" and "SoLfags." Both can be done.
AT has some comfy episodes that take on the "SoL" feel, which I enjoy. But episodes such as "Sad Face" can go fuck themselves. I only have a problem with lore if it doesn't answer something that was never really hinted at. The Great Mushroom War, or rather a catstrophic war had been hinted at in season 1, but details of it were hinted in small servings throughout the show.

>I thought I was clear about that
Evidently not.

That user never said when he stopped watching.

Good lord I hope you're trolling. You are objectively wrong if you think Adventure time isn't largely about Finn growing up. I mean, have you watched the last three seasons?

Recently I feel that's where more of both shows strengths lie. SU has stronger long-term plans for character development and conflict, while Adventure Time has more fun with the easy-going atmosphere and strange stand-alone story ideas.

>Evidently not.
You were the one who was confused, not me

>but college and stuff
It's pretty clear he hasn't been keeping up with this, he stopped watching around 3 years ago

Three years ago we were in season 5. Try harder.

I'm just getting into semantics
You could say that Adventure Time is a bildungsroman and you could also say, with equal correctness, that a season of the show is not about Finn growing up, but just a device to separate different episodes

Not that user, but AT does focus a lot on Finn, but that isn't AT's focus. There is a difference.

>Three years ago we were in season 5. Try harder.
yeah, and he said that he wanted to know if the farmworld episodes (AKA alt universes) went any further
the farmworld episodes were the very beginning of season 5 and they did "go somewhere"

when he was talking about the lich, he wasn't referring to the specific episode
because why would he refer to the specific episode "the lich" by name and not refer to the specific episodes containing farmworld finn by name

this is me trying harder to convince you to just stop posting
particularly you were confused right out of the gate

>why would he refer to the Lich instead of the episode's name
Because that's the episode's name? And in that episode we were introduced to the alternate dimensions? I read season 2/3 so I assumed he didn't make it very far. I assumed he was talking about the episode because he didn't mention anything about lore coming from the character.

You're not even quoting me right

>Because that's the episode's name?
>And in that episode we were introduced to the alternate dimensions?
that still doesn't answer the question of why he would use the name of an episode to reference one episode and not for the other

>because he didn't mention anything about lore coming from the character
He asked for lore specifically, it's the very first thing in his post.
this is just another example of you not understanding

>which explains why something is, then why something is happening
No, user, take your meds.
>it is acting like we will see something will change because I say so.
You're not really explaing anything here user. Lore is just background explanation, it does nothing to tell the future. Unless you're talking about prophecies.

>nothing but status quo
>Finn is no longer a spaghetti mess
>Cinnamon Bun now is FP's knight
>Finn has transition through multiple swords
>>Scarlet
>>Root Sword
>>Demon Blood Sword
>>Grass Sword
>>Finn Sword
>Wild Berry Kingdom became sophisticated
>Candy Kingdom's military has been shown to have improved significantly("Susan Strong," they have candy weapons, that are cutesy. "Gold Stars," freaking helicopters)
>Lemon Grabs 1&2 are now one
>Earldom is run differently throughout control
>Finn's dad left him and became a space entity
>Finn Sword is broken, what has happened when the grass sword impaled it has get to be explained
>Ice King can socialize and isn't an autistic mess
>show has always been about Finn and Jake in Ooo, but we have expanded to telling stories of background characters and origins
>The literal show itself has taken a different direction
>LSP left her over-bearing parents and lives in the woods
>PB no longer spies on everyone, and has learned to trust those that wish to invade her own kingdom.
>Lich is now embalmed inside a body of a child
>Finn no longer is romantically interested in Bubblegum
>Finn and FP are now friends, before they were a couple
>Flame King now resides in a cave full of chipmunk
>Marceine and PB have reestablished their friendship, after previously being detached.
>Marceline has patched up her relationship with her father (no more daddy-issues
>Ice King has given up attempting to force women to marry him
>Billy is dead
>Finn is no longer afraid of the ocean
>Jake has moved on from being a sore-loser in Card Wars
>Xergiok lives a nomadic life
cont.

>Jermaine lives care-free of his parent's belongings
>Magic Man is now Normal Man, and instead of causing suffering on Mars, he is helping the rebuild
>Abraham Lincoln is dead, after exchanging his immortality.
>Grob Glob Grod Gob are orbiting the Earth
Also, in episodes "Lemonhope Part 2" and "Graybles +1000" we see that there WILL be a catastrophic change to Ooo. We have already been told Ooo's future, and the show's timeline will never get to it.

>I understand nothing
>there is only one correct interpretation to something that can be taken differently
In the episode "The Lich," we are introduced with alternate universes. He is asking if it went anywhere, if he knew that it had, he wouldn't be asking. I wanted him to clarify what he meant by "go anywhere" so I could get an idea on when he had quit watching. Instead I get your faggot ass arguing with me about what he meant. We both know that the Lich King is responsible for why Ooo is the way it is, so we knew that the portals were used. I assumed he thought that the portals were meant to be lore, or the alternate universes meaning to be lore because those are the only examples of lore he provided! I asked him to clarify. I didn't realize you are him.

>so I could get an idea on when he had quit watching
what the fuck he is talking about*
Your conversation with me is mixing up my thoughts

>Daddy-Daughter Card Wars
user if you enjoyed that episode which did about average in the talkback you are going to love other episodes this season. I'll admit season 7 starts off a little weak, but it hits hard after the mini-series.

I'm not gonna take the time to go through every single one of those, but a lot of them are stuff that changed for a little while then changed back, just because. And I don't know how you don't understand that the past affects the present, which affects the future. The past, present, and future don't happen in a vacuum. I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying.

An example: Evergreen creating the crown, which caused all kinds of shit in multiple universes but most importantly driving Simon crazy, which made him abandon Marceline and his fiancee, which made him want to say goodbye to her when he became lucid and accidentally bring her to the future, where she jacked the magic man and looks like she's going to use his magic to do something in the PRESENT based on things that happened in the PAST to cause something to happen in the FUTURE, which will probably ultimately result in zero net change.

I wasn't hanging out in the talkbacks at that moment, I was at other sites

Evergreen created the crown to grant someone's desire, Gunther put on the crown, and his greatest desire was to be like his master Evergreen. This is why anyone that wears the crown takes on features of Evergreen. In the episode "Betty" anti magic goes off turning Ice King into his human state, and due to the crown no longer keeping him alive, he wanted to apologize to Betty for what happened, and creates a time loop where Simon never sees Betty again because she left that Simon for the Simon in the future. It wasn't until "You Forgot Your Floaties" where Betty is finding out more about magic. Finn screws up the experiment causing Magic Man's magic to transfer to Betty, and Magic Man becomes normal. You're combining unrelated things while failing explain why lore will change things. You're also begging the question.

I think I know what the problem here is, and it was my fault. The way I worded my first post, I'm guessing you thought I was saying lore was going to actively going to change the status quo or something like that. What I meant was the context in which it's brought up is what's purporting to change things. The crown stuff gets brought up repeatedly for context.

Ah, I see where you're coming from now. I would say a good portion of the show is about Finn growing up, but not exclusively or on a season by season basis... except for maybe season 6.