Tropes that are just awesome

>Character is in training/still weak
>Faces a more powerful opponent, clearly overpowered
>Still tries his all even if beaten
>The beat-down unlocks his true potential
>Powerlevels skyrocket
>They are complete
>As soon as they get back up, they immediately proceed to curbstomp one that originally beat them

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HNJRRR3jKcY
youtube.com/watch?v=13RU29IGg9I
youtube.com/watch?v=Q_qhLRUh66k
youtu.be/BSJTGla19o4?list=PL6EC7B047181AD013&t=197
youtube.com/watch?v=QN09dLJHfno
youtube.com/watch?v=GHNWGXOmQZY
youtube.com/watch?v=_xA0ZHEwU2Q
youtube.com/watch?v=WKna1hYFfbw
youtube.com/watch?v=X7LsBMA-rKg
youtube.com/watch?v=9YSd4nAFKR8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Man, I'd usually shit on this because it's such a cliche in things like anime. But fuck, I love this cliche. Legit my favourite trope, I want it in everything.

Super Saiyan Rose Steven when?

eugh

They way they've set up the show it would really suck if this happened to steven right now.

I prefer it when the potential gets unlocked due to a friend dying/getting hurt.

Like Goku reacting to Krillin or Yusuke to Kuwabara.

It's lame and typical but I do love it
When I first read gohan vs cell I was hype as fuck

>show doesn't have meaningless powerlevels
>instead the characters are forced to defeat their enemies by exploiting whatever they can from the environment

What about when Trunks unlocked his power after Gohan's death.

>Character is out of their weightclass
>Beaten down like it was nothing.
>Gets back up
>Is beaten back down by clearly superior opponent
>Gets. Back. Up.
>No matter how badly character is hurt, he keeps coming back up for more.

I fucking love that. Character's will being stronger than their own body, and continuing on anyway.

Theme song power up
Is a God tier trope

HE CAN DO IT! HE CAN SAVE US ALL!

I know that's Cred Forums and all but FUCK THAT SCENE WAS BEAUTIFUL

>title sequence/cliffhanger
>slow pan of/to villains w of the season/arc

MUH DICK

>unlocks his true potential

you mean a frank, borderline spiritual conversation with a benevolent artificial intelligence about mutual aid amongst different forms of life?

It's been done to death and I love it
>The shows theme song plays during intense scene/climatic battle
>Main character and sidekick engage in hyper combo team attack against the atagonist

>Hopeful/Idealistic/Sunny song is sung early in the movie/production/

>A darker reprise with ironic new meanings to the words is sung at the halfway point/end of Act 1/end of the season

>Early bad guy becomes a reluctant good guy/anti-hero when bigger threats shows up later on in the series
I know Dragon Ball's infamous for this but my favorite example is probably pic related. Never stopped being a fucking asshole but actually managed to grow a backbone and tell TWO manipulative evil dicks that were grooming him for their own gains, one of which was his own dad and the other literally an Ancient Evil that had Awoken, to get the fuck out of his life, and the show-runners were actually building him up to become the Vegeta of the show with the whole "all Dragons need to be united, including the Black Boned" thing they were hinting at for the Academy season that never fucking existed.

>The shows theme song plays during intense scene/climatic battle
Fucking Generator Rex season 1 finale. Why the fuck is Ben 10 the show to get countless rehashes? We need more Gen Rex and by "we" I mean "I"

Why are 90% of these thread tropes from JRPGs and shonen anime?

>Character find out they were using their powers wrong, gains new skillset

My Hero Academia did this really well, I feel. Main character had been using his power in huge bursts of power and kept breaking his arms/fingers because he thought his power was about big attacks. He later had an epiphany that he should've been spreading the power out evenly through himself. He still can't do insane feats of strength without breaking his limbs but he can now move faster and hit harder than his base state.

Also how Iceman became a top-tier mutant when he realized what he actually controlled. I remember in one story arc a future version of him became a fucking wizard.

Because those are the best tropes.
Speaking of
>Bad guy completely wrecks the MC's entire fucking life up at the beginning of the show/comic
youtube.com/watch?v=HNJRRR3jKcY

>Its a Tomboy character next door goes girly episode
>BTFO the school beauty and the cheerleading captain
>But tomboy gets BTFO by the nerd who also gets a makeover

>Its the villain is so good at manipulating to the point that everyone even the viewers thinks he is the hero series

What show was this? He looks so familiar.

Dragon Booster

He'd probably sing about it like some faggot.

>character has a new power up to show
>all the fans are expecting a sleek pretty boy/girl with hair on fire with glowing eyes and a sword
>turns into an ugly power house that can be taken as a joke form
>villian doesn't take it seriously
>kicks total ass with it and btfo edgy assumptions making the edgy kids ass hurt it doesn't look "cool"

Ben 10 is a cartoon network toy shill. It's there to produce an ass load of toys. They rehash it so they can sell more toys.

>Uses every single attack/form they have against badguy
>Doesn't work
>The weakest, original one wins
Also from this fight, Civilian form vs Villian's Super Mode

>Team show
>Bad guy is tremendously OP
>Defeats each member of the main cast individually throughout the season with ease
>Becomes even more OP by acquiring the mystical macguffin everyone was trying to stop him from getting
>Finally fights the whole cast at once in the season finale
>Gets absolutely destroyed through teamwork and superior numbers
>Bonus points if the MCs use what they learned from their previous defeats to counter the bad guy's attacks

like jojo?

>Also how Iceman became a top-tier mutant when he realized what he actually controlled
I don't read X-Men, what does he actually control?

>pound man
>not cool
huh?

All water, basically

So how does that make him top-tier?
Yeah, he could probably piss of Namor by making tidal waves and strip water out of some people's bodies, but there's way more OP powers than that.

I'm sure I'm missing something here, as I said, I don't read X-Men, so I don't know.

>Dragon gets defeated by the heroes, but is revealed as the Dragon, not the true bad guy.
>Bad guy is in their car or helicopter, about to get away with it.
>Hero kills them and gets away with doing so with no repercussions.

Not water, he can control the motion of molecules via temperature. Also is a near immortal psychic wave that can reform out of water vapor.

>it's a fantastic voyage episode

>he can control the motion of molecules via temperature
Oh shit, yeah that's pretty top-tier.
I'm guessing that somehow extends to time-stop or something?

>Also is a near immortal psychic wave that can reform out of water vapor.
What?

Congratulations, you like boring writing. Stay in Cred Forums

Iceman got melted, then got better. Best way his power was explained to me is that at his peak he contols the E of E=mc^2.

Sounds pretty good, what run was this?
Where should I get back into X-Men if I haven't read anything for a decade or so?
I read most of X-23's stuff, she pop in much or is she too busy being snikt-bubette?
Didn't they turn Bobby into a butt pirate?

Nah, jojo has them exploiting whatever they can from the inconsistent writing.

>Villains who are bad to the bone and commit evil deeds but respect their mooks and are extremely loving towards their friends, family, lovers, etc.
Pic is an example.

I'd like him to be able to conjure a masculine version of Rose's clothes, so that his fusions no longer have fixed colors.
The excuse that his clothes are real matter doesn't hold up because they apparently change size.

Something like this?

Or this?

>Antagonist uses illusions to torment the character
>character gets an epiphany (realizes the trick through observation, uses a mantra to focus, remember friends)
>"NO, IMPOSSIBLE! HOW ARE THEY NOT FALLING FOR IT!?"
I love it

The fuck does this happen?

danny phantom
that episode made literally zero sense

>Main character about to be horribly beaten by powerful villain
>Main antagonist suddenly shows up out of nowhere and BTFOs them
>No one kills main character except me
>Proceeds to beat the shit out of other villain
Vegeta vs Android 19 was so fucking hype the first time I saw it.

>character basically becomes a normie in later seasons
>drops his ss form for some """"mystic""" shit and turns gay

reeeeeee he should've been the new main protag

>it's a Rashomon episode

Man, dbz is alot better than I remember. At least kai, that is

>timetravel shenanigans result in a teamup of historical figures
Fucking love when this happens.

That thing is fucking atrocious
Who thought this character design was a good idea

Examples?

Bump

The Tick: Leonardo da Vinci and His Fightin' Genius Time Commandos!

>New big bad is a huge threat
>Regular main villain returns and sees this
>Regular main villain stomps new big bad and reminds everyone why he's the threat

I love Hobgoblin, but I always love whenever Norman pops up and schools whatever Goblin tries to replace him.

Venture Bros. S02E17 Escape to the House of Mummies Part II

Is there any character in any media more gangsta than Future Trunks?

The Thing's fight with the Champion is still one of my favorite comic fights of all time. That image of Ben putting up his dukes, beaten beyond belief, is amazing.

>Can turn yourself into ice
>How are you even alive? Your organs are fucking water right now
>You get shattered
>Congrats, you're not dead you're just snowflakes/a puddle
>Now put yourself the fuck back together.

That's what bothered me, 16 being killed even though he was pretty damn nice and didn't want to kill anyone else is pretty much when the breaking point started, Cell trying to kill everyone else was just icing.

>ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT KRILLIN

Still get shivers.

>Villain and Hero both have incredible super-powers
>It all ends in a fist-fight

Personally, I hope he eventually gets enough time to recover and starts doing Saitama's exercise regimen, and we don't see him for like 50 chapters.

Then, during one big fight that actually threatens some of the S-class heroes we get the following:

> villain gloats about how they're about to defeat an S-class hero
> In the distance on the horizon (reaching out across a body of water), a faint 'whirr' draws closer at a frighteningly quick pace
> the 'whirr' sound grows louder and louder, picking up a 'clik' noise too
> Both the hero and villain look to see who it is
> 2-page splash of Mumen Rider sticking a burning hot bike tire into the villain's face, looking exactly the same as he does now
> Hero looks back to see a trail of burning fire and tar running across the ground and out towards the body of water
> Mumen Rider proceeds to body the villain, all without getting off his bike, which still has it's tires on fire

RYUUUUUHOOOOOOOO

DBZ Kai cut out a LOT of the filler episodes and condensed down a lot of the episodes so that it focused only on either plot progression or lots of fight scenes.

Bounding Man

I cried manly tears that day

Lex pls, don´t you have to cure cancer or something?

It works way better in motion

>Kenshiro and Raoh

>hero is powerful and respected but encounters a threat completely overwhelming
>tries desperately to prevent disaster
>is denied/beaten and becomes gradually more frustrated/hurt
>snaps and is revealed to contain alter-ego/eldritch abomination that proceeds to curb-stomp everything in sight

Immediate GOAT-tier promotion
great taste

bonus points if the alter-ego isn't a downright psycho (616 Void in this comparison) but more of a lawful/neutral evil reversed character

what about when Naruto turned into the nine tail fox karuma as a jinchiriki when Sakura was gravely Injured during the bridge battle in naruto shipuden episode 133 "A plea from a freind "
>thinks this is Cred Forums
mods here are fuccing faggot for real

Quadruple points if the character who keeps getting back up is the jokey sidekick who nobody thinks is good for anything other than being comic relief.

>>Character is in training/still weak
>>Faces a more powerful opponent, clearly overpowered
>>Still tries his all even if beaten

youtube.com/watch?v=13RU29IGg9I

There. That's the cut off. The rest is shonentier shit.

Is there a cartoon that did it better than Rocky ?

youtube.com/watch?v=Q_qhLRUh66k

>good guy joins the bad guys
>it isn't a ruse, he actually turned bad
>the villain doesn't betray him but he realizes his mistake anyway

Man, Xiaolin Showdown was so good.

Ideally, Batman. Brave and the Bold had this in a couple of episodes. I loved the "even though you prepared for all of my stuff, you haven't prepared for my enemy's!" scene. Using all of his memorabilia as weapons was amazing.

No, that's just ridiculous. Thats worst than "power of friendship" Shonen style.
'The power was there all along' is lazy, for when the writer doesnt know how to get the character out of said situation.

Unless it's Superman, whose power IS there all along but he forced his mind to block it so that he doesn't cough and blow up half the planet.

I think that for superman is different; he doesnt hide his power if he have to use it. If he is not fighting at full power there is a reason. Normally he is just not trying to kill his enemy. Some time he just control himelself so the planet wont blow up. He know his power, he choses not to use it.

Thats the point dupshit its a hasty combination of two diffrent characters
Also this

>He know his power, he choses not to use it.

This is true for most versions, but in some instances in his early years as Superman, he has to go through the process of "unblocking" his mental barriers to realize his true power. I personally like this idea, and it leaves open the possibility that he hasn't yet unblocked himself completely and has even more power.

not him, but that must be the combination of two characters with atrocious design.

>fat
>brown
>three... dot.. things
>big lips
>WTF are those pants
>are-you-a-boy-or-a-girl.jpg
is it supposed to be fighting carrying so much fat in it?

No
He controls cold
I.e. Heat
I.e. The movement of molecules

Feels like something happened with Superman and Martians making him think there was kryptonite when there really wasn't. I'm not imagining this am I?

Also Black Mercy.

JoJo was my first thought too.

And you are full of shit.

The actual lore of the show states that the physical firms of the gens is just a projection of their internal personality

The weight actually doesnt affect anything all all since the only thing that actually has mass is the gem itself

I hate this trope
I liked in early Dragon Ball when they showed Goku training and getting stronger instead of just getting asspull power boosts
There is literally nothing more boring

Did hip hop culture really try to bring back jughead hats for a brief time?
Please tell me it's true

Of course they did, haven't you ever heard of Chicago Dark or The Original k.i.N.G?

The Dial M for Monkey episode with Rasslor was a heart warmer when it did this.

I know, I know, Bendis, but the only modern example I can think of is Spider-Man fighting Magik and Colossus, both with Phoenix powers, and just getting fucking DESTROYED, but still holding them back.

I liked it up until they just handed Goku SS2 and 3, he should have worked for those. Let Gohan have more time in the limelight.

It sucks, because Gohan really had potential. And there was the whole "living up to your father's legacy" angle they could've pulled too.

>Joke / sidekick character facing off one of the big bad alone.

>Sets really serious and Kicks total ass.

Gear 4 is so fucking badass. Any weeb faggot who'd prefer Bleach homoshit over the crazy rubber Asura gorrila we got should just end themselves.

>Laggan-Hen Simon vs. Anti-Spiral
>Old Snake vs. Liquid Ocelot

>Big bad doesn't take side character even slightly seriously when they stand up to challenge them

I fucking love that shit. I know there's been an overabundance of DBZ examples in the thread but Tien vs. Cell was fucking beautiful in its execution.

>the physical firms of the gens is just a projection of their internal personality
you know that doesn't excuse shitty design, right? this merely explains why it's shit.

>Hero beats up villain
>WHAT ARE YOU?!

Especially when accompanied with

>Character is now the saviour of the Earth
>Promises everyone he'll keep training
>Upps I forgot
>Countless people die
>Has to train again spending precious time
>More people die
>Is strong again
Rinse and repeat to infinity = Gohan character development

aizen looking mother fucker

I don't care for your opinion on TFS and their abridged series, but I fucking love how they handled that scene.
youtu.be/BSJTGla19o4?list=PL6EC7B047181AD013&t=197

>Hero responds with smarmy catchphrase like "Just a regular guy" that he's said jokingly all this time

Perfect.

That's why there's a sizeable number of people who hate the Buu saga.

Also DBS and Return of F

If there was ever anything TFS ever did to justify themselves, it would be how they handled that scene, I agree.

>Something bad happens to main character
>For example, a friend of the character is killed
>Main character almost completely snaps
>He storms the villains hideout by himself, killing everyone in sight.
>He gets to the main villain and nearly beats him to death.

>Superman punches a death ray
>He's not human!
Loved that scene.

When the Green Lanterns overcome the yellow impurity I was one giddy fella.

Sinestro Corps War finale. Good lord my boner.

Where was this? It sounds baller.

Green Lantern Rebirth for the Earth guys. Green Lantern Corps Recharge for the other 7,196 Lanterns.

I loved that episode.

A double triple..nice.

>Father and Edward Elric

That fight sucked.

>2 comedic characters from separate groups or even shows/series meet
>They instantly love eachother or hate eachother

KAZUMAAAAAAA
youtube.com/watch?v=QN09dLJHfno

Meant to write "comedic relief" but whatever, same point.

When's the last time a action adventure trope even been used in Western Animation? Korra?

Steven Universe doesn't count

But that's the exact reason why anime and manga is fucking SHIT.

Because there are literally no limits and the writer can just pull any old bullshit out of their ass to have X beat Y.

What's the current DBZ level? Didnt a movie recebtly have "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan"

Fucking RETARDED.

Brotherhood's entire climax sucked.

>Something REALLY FUCKING bad happens
>Joke character/moral core of the group/Always cheerful character suddenly gets hyper fucking serious and kicks insane amounts of ass until the bad situation gets fixed
>Returns to its cheerful/joking self immediately after

>What's the current DBZ level? Didnt a movie recebtly have "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan"
They're just calling it Super Saiyan Blue now.

All it is using normal ass Super Saiyan after learning how to use god ki.

Now, be fair, most of his "holding them back" was stalling them with tactical one-liners

Yeah that's a big problem. Why should anyone train if none of it matters unless you're born with a special power?

This is probably why many people like Batman: he earned the right to sit at the top of the pyramid through dedication and hard work. I personally like Karate Kid as a character (though admittedly I haven't read enough stories involving him). I just wish he was the strongest there is, proving humans can be powerful too.

Agree completely, especially about those cyclops zombies. So unnecessary.

Sloth and Armstrong's fight was neat, though.
youtube.com/watch?v=GHNWGXOmQZY

Yusuke reacting to Kuwabara's 'death'

And on the flip side, Kuwabara, Kurama and Hiei after Yusuke's second death...except they didn't get to take down the big bad that did it, Deux Ex Demonized Yusuke got to.

I'm still a little pissed about that, honestly.

Well not everyone can get a hair color change to show their current power level.

Spider-man does this so God damn well. I love it when he get serious.

Geez Bouncing Boy got an upgrade.

>joke villain defeats the biggest bad guy

>All anime is shonen

youtube.com/watch?v=_xA0ZHEwU2Q
my first thought desu

You know how tumblr likes to say fusion is having sex for gems, does this mean Amethyst and Steven are banging? Is Amethyst capable of being convicted of statutory rape? What about Steven and Connie?

Because Kai has an accurate dub unlike DBZ which was inaccurate as fuck and awful.

>Tien vs Cell
It wasn't a fight tho. What Tenshinhan was doing was the equivalent of just pushing someone a little as they walk forward. He wasn't doing damage. Just keeping him at that place so 16 and 18 could get away.

Then Krillin and Vegeta fuck up everything

Hard work and a fuckton of money.

Vegeta fucked up way more than Krillin. Also, at least Krillin admitted he fucked up and was upset about it. We never got that from Vegeta.

You mean like in comics?

Yeah. A lot of these threads have tropes posted that are barely relevant in Cred Forums media.

Because Cred Forums is full of people who were kicked out of Cred Forums.

>Antagonist has Protagonists powers but taken up to 11

If they cut all the stuff like King Kai or other bystanders reacting to everything for longer than the thing they're reacting to actually happens, then I'm all in for Kai. I take it the Buu arc is finished by now?

Buu Kai has aired and finished in Japan. The dub is still it out despite being finished. Toei wants it to debut on tv first since Japanese businessmen are old fashioned as fuck.

The dub is stil not out despite being finished.*

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

I heard from Christopher Sabat on Saturday that The reason Super isn't being dubbed yet is because lawyers are /still/ hammering out a contract.

I blame Funimation for this. Funimation always manages to fuck something up.

Nope. Trust me. FUNi wants Buu Kai out and wants it out as soon as they can. But they need a TV deal before putting it out. Same with Super. Super needs a Tv deal before it comes out on DVD or Blu-ray.

Forgot to add. They need a TV deal because that's what Toei wants.

Mumen Rider has probably saved more lives than any half of the S-Class heroes.

>Character beats a group of enemies
>Has to give up his power to beat the big bad guy
>Goes back to real world stuff
>New group of bad guys shows up
>Hyped up to be real strong
>Main character gets his powers back
>The enemy group gets shit stomped

Say what you will about Bleach but it really turned the trope on its head here.

because current cartoons lack of action and since most of the userbase probably comes from the 90s where they grew up with anime and action stuff it was imprinted in their heads.

Ya know if Steven had the same mindset as Gohan he wouldn't be a little bitch in the show.

Actually.. him and the gems would learn a thing if they watched the Cell saga.

this was the most dissapointed saga ever.
I thought they where a new group of friends that actually wanted to get rid of their powers or something and where going to turn into a tragic event and make ichigo realise some shit or make a decision.

>Tfw you expect something but nothing happens

>Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand.

I think you guys are ignoring the fact that Steven has already met people who he can't reason with. He just didn't defeat them in a traditional fist to fist way. It will happend. Has to. Can't fucking running away from the issue Sucrose

basically how Gon got his hunter licence. guy beat him down so hard that he had to give up because if he killed Gon he'd automatically fail

This is actually a Cred Forums example, but one of the bosses in the new Wow expansion says this when you're kicking the shit out of her.

She's the goddess of hell and you literally punch her in the tentacles until she screams out "What manner of mortals are you!?" before switching to phase 2.

Maw of Souls is the best dungeon in Legion.
Short, sweet and metal as fuck.

Course I say that without having done Arcway or Court of Stars.

>Protagonists are prevented from facing the real antagonist because of a big fucking army that they have no chance of beating
>Everyone that the protagonists had helped out or befriended come together to help them fight the opposing army

Why does this show ruin everything?

Keep getting mad.

Alright I'll give ya that. He failed to redeem the rubies, jasper, and reason with bismuth.

Point is though is that Steven's gotta know that sometimes killing is the only way to protect those you care about. His mother sure as shit knew that harsh fact.

Yellow Diamond threatens to pop Connie's head with her thumb in front of Steven unless he surrenders. What would he do in that situation?

K

>Original Kai got out dubbed within a year or so
>Resurrection F took only four months
>By the time they get Buu Kai out, no one is going to care anymore because Super exists now
I don't understand how this shit works. It can't be because they can't find a network to air it on because I'm positive Cartoon Network/Toonami would eat this shit up. Do they not want money?

>random background character turns out important several episodes later

what bothered me is that they didn't wish him back.

but then again, his death has to be permanent for it to have any literary value

this never, NEVER gets old

Gash Bell and Saint Seiya run off of this trope, and it's fantastic

from the same series
>random item referenced several times in the show is foreshadowing to something much greater

Any episode call backs get me hard, it's just great to see witters keep even the smallest details connected in the universe.
All the crap Iroh bough from those pirates got peppered around in season one anytime a moment of quite was had.
Really bums me out what a mess Korra was.

Go super saiyan rose, kick her shit in, and struggle with being innately born with power that contradicts his moral fiber?

That'd be cool

>all of the enemies throughout the entire series group up to defeat the protagonist(s)
>all of the protagonist(s)' friends and anyone they might've encountered team up for a final big clash

Teen Titans still gets me hard just for that last season.

>villains mistake the quiet and calm character for weak
>try to attack and/or mess with him
>turns out he's hideously strong

>>The beat-down unlocks his true potential
>>Powerlevels skyrocket
>>They are complete
>>As soon as they get back up, they immediately proceed to curbstomp one that originally beat them

this is the worst, kill yourself

>I could do this all day

>I know Dragon Ball's infamous for this

It's fucking annoying. Every cool character has to either become Goku's bitch and turn into a useless side character, or die. And now it's even happening with Beerus. At least he got to be a badass in the latest Super, but he's becoming more and more of a joke now that he can't kill everyone anymore lest he piss off his boss.

itt: tropes that makes me change the channel

this desu

Original Kai got on Nicktoons and 'F' was able to not have to deal with 20th Century Fox like BoG was. Since Buu Kai has to have a TV deal. It's likely when the Cell arc ends on Toonami, they'll go to Buu Kai. But there's nothing official that points to that. We just all assume that. So we have to wait for the Cell arc to end on Toonami and see what happens.

fuck u

apparently akira toriyama was building up to that, but he thought Gohan still didn't have enough tenacity to carry the series on his own.

>Characters that hate each other slowly become best friends

>hero gets an evil powerup and loses control
>their best friend/rival kicks the shit out of them to make them come back to their senses instead of just "the real you is in there somewhere"

Wait, whats wrong with TFS?

I'm actually thinking Mumen Rider will eventually become the leader of the hero association. Since he's the only one who actually wants to be a hero other than saitama.

um... what?I think thats a bit specific.

>character keeps getting beat up
>on the brink of death
>villain starts taunting
>"Why do you keep getting up? You'll always lose."
>"I don't have to win, I just needed to distract you."

FFXIV had the best one of these. Because we, the players, aren't even sure what the hell our character is. There's like a 70% chance at this point that the main character is a summon like Tidas was.

I loved this in Slayers Gorgeous.

Can't find it in english but this scene was too good.

youtube.com/watch?v=WKna1hYFfbw

>late into series, main character has become fairly powerful
>Incredibly unlikable villain shows up
>Weak by hero's current standards
>Does something to piss hero off
>Hero kicks the absolute shit out of them

it also has SSJ2 Future Trunks holding his own against foes even Goku and Vegeta struggle with in their god forms

>red+yellow=blue

Toriyama isn't even trying anymore

>Main character is clueless happy-go-lucky kid
>Incredibly rash and prideful, always taking risks and making stupid decisions when fighting people to satisfy his own ego
>Either never suffers consequences or they're resolved immediately

>Later main character and company run into enemy with ungodly power
>To weak to even lay a finger on them
>Gets one of closest friends killed
>Main character goes from happy-go-lucky to complete psychopath, obsessed with vengeance even at the cost of people's lives
>Eventually faces same villain later, only this time he utterly murders them in cold blood, it's gruesome, it's not even a fight.

> It's Cred Forums

>>>to
too*

>bonus points for character death b/c the villain goes full curbstomp-mode

> Tropes that are just awesome

>Hero and Villain team up to fight the bigger bad.
>Everyone acknowledges villain was pretty alright all along since he helped defeat big bad
>Villain redeemed
>Bonus: Villain does it for his own reasons and still kicks ass and is redeemed.

And another

>Hero turns villain
>Especially when no one sees it coming or the audience knows and the heroes don't.
>Hero's power level goes way up when he's the villain in the rest of the universe

I know pic related is Cred Forums but it's the most recent example I have.

>almost emotionless but intelligent and articulate villains who never raise their voice
I don't know why, but I always find those pretty creepy. I blame Candyman.

To be fair, Jojo's writing can be pretty inconsistent
>Hierophant Green never does the easel thing or possess someone after it's introduction and is reduced to Emerald Splash machine
>Dio has a Hermit Purple, except no he doesn't, we're ignoring that now although I do have a theory that Dio wound up stabbing himself with the arrow multiple times, giving himself several different stand abilities like what Kira did to get Bite the Dust. The flesh bud seems to come from vines that resemble the ones infecting Holly, so we can assume that this would be the stand transferred over to her, just as Dio's Hermit Purple lookalike was transferred to Joseph. He probably stopped stabbing himself after gaining The World's time stop ability seeing as how that is the single most advantageous ability a vampire could have, or any fighter for that matter.
>Jotaro can save his old man by restarting his heart and giving him a blood transfusion, but fuck Josuke's grandpa
>Josuke can't heal himself but he can somehow "fix" his blood by turning it into glass-like shards
>You have to look at Rohan's manuscript in order for Heaven's Door to work, nah, just kidding, that's gone by his next appearance, completely removing his stand's one weakness and making him almost fucking invincible
>Okuyasu barely gets any fights
>This isn't really an example of inconsistent writing but it pisses me off because The Hand is so fucking cool god damn it

>protag challenges boss
>gets his shit slapped in
>barely makes it out alive
>trains for a while and comes back
>remembers earlier fight learns to counter boss.

>BBEG of show has been setting up doomsday device for whole arc
>gets all the evil to kowtow to him
>heroes idealistic, but unsuccessful at curbing sheer might of BBEG
>climax of arc, heroes get stomped by villain as villain activates doomsday device
>BBEG actually keikaku'd everything so that he could destroy all the evil from inside
>Heroes survive to be caretakers and spiritual leaders of the world that emerges from ashes

It's stupid, edgy crap, but "I'll become evil and take all of the evil into me so it can be destroyed" is cool to me. The thought of someone with the force of will to become the ultimate bait for all of the horrible things to exist and stand all of that until true heroes can rise to lead a new world just commands my respect.

Examples?

"35 minutes ago" is sorta like that.

Nox subverts this to "I committed a wrong, but if I commit many more wrongs I will eventually be able to undo ALL the wrongs.".

Give me examples of when this his honestly happened.

Not that guy but every season of power rangers does that

Well, 17 came back when they wished for everyone who was killed by Cell to revive.

The big question is whether or not the dragon considered 16 to be alive in the first place.

Mumen Rider is the best character. I hope he never changes or gets super powers. The way he is now stands for so much more than being an overpowered trope character.

Enemies that are no more powerful than the hero, but are just smarter and more skilled.

For that matter: villains who are terrifying even without needing to get physical.

thanks doc

Did you hate kung fuu hustle?

fuck that looks so much better.

what were they thinking when they designed that thing? literally every design choice about her is the worst possibility.

Villains who are actually WEAKER (especially to a huge extent) but still pose a threat to the hero.

On the subject of villains being weaker

Sociopathic monstrous assholes receiving a lengthy beating that would realistically cripple a normal human.
Bonus points if it's a creative beating.
Kind of like these
youtube.com/watch?v=X7LsBMA-rKg
Not Cred Forums-related but still
youtube.com/watch?v=9YSd4nAFKR8

Actually Gohan was a fucking op monster that held back because his mother wanted him to study and stop fighting. He got mad and nearly killed his uncle Raditz and later beat the shit out of Frieza on Namek because he thought his dad was dead. Gohan was never weak.

>BBEG rules the world and inflicts his evil and chaos everywhere
>hero helps people against the evils of the BBEG throughout the series
>the end of the series has every single person the hero helped, from the mightiest warriors to the jokiest of jokes, coming together in one final resistance attack against the BBEG

This, I think, is one of the main reasons people are so hype over the Samurai Jack revival, because the Aku Infection episode hinted at this being a possibility and seeing Jack's actions come back to help him in the end would be fucking incredible.

Man Chichi really fucked Gohan up. And having Goku as a father probably didn't help.

>red+yellow=blue

Man, when he says farewell to all his family and friends, I actually cried there.

KR has so many good sad moments

>Saite

>Hero has now way to win but keeps getting back up
>"You can't win, you're alone"
>"I'm not alone"
>Spiritual hands of his fallen friends start helping him to get back up and stand
>Hero starts parrying every hit and even conecting some
>"Masaka!"

>Mocked up character is actually the strongest

>You have to look at Rohan's manuscript in order for Heaven's Door to work, nah, just kidding, that's gone by his next appearance, completely removing his stand's one weakness and making him almost fucking invincible
that was gone in his first appearance. he traces the outline of Heaven's Door in the air fast enough that people perccieve the shape he's making. Josuke was able beat the shit out of him because he was too pissed to notice what Rohan was doing with his pen

>rock version of the opening theme starts playing

That sounds gay as shit