So I just finished reading the first four volumes of Saga. I thought it was decent

So I just finished reading the first four volumes of Saga. I thought it was decent.

What does Cred Forums think of it?

IIRC, it gets worse with the fifth volume. That's when it starts going off the rails and most of the side characters are used as pawns.

>it gets worse with the fifth volume
I lost interest by the end of the second, but yeah " decent" is a good way to describe it.

I feel like everyone on this board is taking fucking PCP or something, because I also read the first four volumes, and so far I think it's the shit.

There's just a lot of rad-ass shit in there.
>Prince Robot's PTSD shit flickering onto his screen
>Lying Cat's very concept
>Bounty hunter names always using the definitive article

It just all feels very human to me. It sold me on the concept when Marko and Whatever (I guess it's bad I don't know her name) had that last fight where she was obviously in the wrong, taking drugs in front of their child, but he brought it to a physical level, so she yelled at him to leave, and he did. Obviously she was wrong, and slapping a paper bag doesn't change that, but that felt like such a real life argument. I mean, maybe that's just mean, but no matter what kind of bullshit your partner does, once you make it physical (and/or call them a cunt), IMMEDIATELY the argument is about THAT, and not the shit they did.

I guess I'm kind of rambling, but the point is it felt pretty real to me. At least so far. We'll see where it goes.

Oh, also the art is good.

The comic is basically IV's descend into being a little shit who gives no fucks about anything but his son and I love it.

The near constant sex scenes are kinda unnecessary, and the narrative starts falling apart when it becomes drug addicted pro-wrestling and kidnappings leading to more kidnappings.

I like the premise (Romeo and Juliet in Space, and actually staying alive), but I dislike how it did a time skip, killed off some okay characters to introduce new ones who do fuck all, and how it relies non stop on excessive sexual material for shock value in lieu of advancing the story. Did it really need a 2-page spread of a dragon sucking its own dick, or a full page of Prince Robot holding his dick in his hand as he prepares to masturbate?

I don't mind having so much sex in it, but not when its entire point is "I want to publish a book with uncensored dicks in it".

IV's scene was really weird. Didn't he tell the writer that he wasn't bi when asked about having sex dreams about his soldiers?

When he would have even had the chance to discover that part of his sexuality while lost in a planet in the middle of nowhere?

I've only read four volumes, so I have a couple questions:

>time skip
doesn't it do that like every volume anyway? I mean isn't the point to show her growing up? You can't do that shit in real time.

>killed off some okay characters to introduce new ones who do fuck all
have I not gotten to that part yet?

Also I think pic related you posted was pretty fucking killer.

Hipsters-hipsters-everywhere.

Seriously, Cred Forums is pretty bad about this. I mean, remember when GotG was the shit? And then "everybody" hated it? Remember when Über was an alternate-history superpowered fun time where the war kept going because the Germans miraculously won the Battle of Berlin, and LATER it turned into Nazi-wank? Fuck, I bet if you took a poll 50% of us would say we knew Nextwave was shit before it came out.

Anyway. After a few years of being awesome enough that people learned about Saga it mysteriously became bad. How about that.

(Just to be clear, I mean the movie. Bendis can go fuck himself, and then spend 5 pages asking "Really?" "Yes, really. Fucked." "Fucked himself?" "Yes, really, in fact, fucked himself." "Fucked, you say." "Himself, yes.")

It was good until they started putting SJW propaganda in.

>Gwendolyn is black, interracial couple with The Will
>most female characters are bi or lesbian
>they introduced a "strong, courageous" tranny character
>Alana does drugs and shit, Marko gets mad and throws her some groceries, it's suddenly domestic abuse
>etc

Objectively speaking, the only good character is Sir Robot.

was there any point for that full nude scene that the daughter walked in on in the showers?

other than dude-lgbt-friendly-lmao

Saga was good in 2012 when it was the only sci-fi comic in America. But then Image put out about 50 more and all of them were better. That's not even accounting for Saga ramping up the sex scenes and stoner humor and it became obvious that BKV has no idea where he's going with it. It's just a tasteless and not very good comic.

i didn't see that thread.

I made a thread saturday night, and i was storytiming, but no one was in the thread but me ;---;

yeah so i've always loved saga, but i'm really hype for this volume
>the family is back together
>the will and Gwen are on the path to fuck shit up hardcore
>I can self-insert as Petrichor, who also seems like shes awesome as fuck
yeah

it was a simple and effective way to introduce Petrichor without having to use alot of exposition or backstory.

truth

Alana.
and yeah i agree with that argument. its funny though, since Marko making it physical was both relateable/understandable, but it allowed Alana to deflect, which is what she doea alot as a character.>Anyway. After a few years of being awesome enough that people learned about Saga it mysteriously became bad. How about that.
Cred Forums has always been full of hipsters.
the latest example is Superbro, people hated him for 4 years, and now all of a sudden people love and miss him, lmao

>doesn't it do that like every volume anyway? I mean isn't the point to show her growing up? You can't do that shit in real time.
yeah theres a time skip every volume, and yeah the REAL protagonist is hazel, so as she gets older, the narrative shifts to focus on her, which gets more obvious as things progress, so im pretty sure that once shes about 10 or so, Marko, Alana, and everyone else will be the supporting cast.
>have I not gotten to that part yet?
basically every volume adds characters, and every volume kills characters. theres a point where alot of the cast changes at once, instead of gradually like it had been before, but i'm pretty sure that user just didn't really care for volume 5 and thats why they're annoyed.

>Didn't he tell the writer that he wasn't bi when asked about having sex dreams about his soldiers?
i was thinking that it was more evident of how sometimes shit gets into your thoughts that you dont like.

Good up until they settled down. Now it's literally just a soap opera with a sci-fi skin, they don't even try to fucking hide it.

most good stories are soap operas with a different coat of paint.
cape books especially. this isn't cape but you get my point.

Yeah but the issue is that they REALLY don't hide it. Like, the plot about the wife becoming a drug addict and everything related was just ridiculous.

do they need to hide it though?
the story is about a family. the setting is space, but is that the most interesting thing?

i wouldn't mind more world building in an anxillary series or something, but Saga has always been pretty character driven, and thats why i liked it anyway.
I do wish the plot would move.....faster maybe, but i feel like thats a limitation of the page count/issues released in a year if anything else.

I'm still surprised there hasn't been a film or TV adaptation of Saga, but hollywood would probably ruin it anyhow. Netflix is more or less the only place it could exist.

The Alana becomes a drug addict subplot was one of my least favorite plots, but i think that was some water treading thats going to come into play later. Also, that was fuel to split Alana and marko up and have a "find hazel" arc imo; it was a means to an ends, i think it's more tolerable in context as opposed to reading it when released.

I'm gonna try to story time again, i REALLY want to talk about saga maybe a storytime will bring more people.

idk what it is but its really hard to post, so i may not do more than one issue.

Why is this comic making my eye twitch?

BEST NEW GIRL BEST NEW GIRL NEW BEST GIRL NES BEST GIRL

idk
why is it?

Uh

lets see if Cred Forums will let me get through #32

i really miss having a Cred Forums pass

It's interesting, I'm invested.

I thought it was underwhelming, I read the first 2 volumes at a friends place and nothing about it engaged me or made me care about any of it.

So I'm sitting here essentially with my dick in my hand and all my friends are gushing about how great this fucking book is and I'm just not getting what the big deal is. And I don't think I ever will, whatever this is, it certainly isn't aimed in my direction.

I really liked it until they started killing or maiming the characters I liked. Then they also just started killing other characters.

I gave up with the robot princess died.

everything isn't for everyone, so thats certainly fair.

Can you explain more of why you didn't like it?
do you know why you didn't like it?

Robot Princess was barely a character though imo.....

>I really liked it until they started killing or maiming the characters I liked
thats fair.

I'm honestly really surprised marko, Alana, and hazel have made it so far mostly unscathed.

Death heightens drama, and none of the deaths ever felt cheap or forced; so i do like that.

i read it but i will happily acknowledge that it's garbage
was the goal of the writers to make the main characters as unlikable as possible? marko and alana are both completely insufferable.
i really only keep reading because i love prince IV, he is the best.

This was some years ago, just after the second trade was out, but from what I remember from it all, the main characters irked me, like everything they said and did felt grating to read. Fuck, I dunno what else to say to describe it, I'd need to borrow and read those trades again to pin down why I didn't enjoy the story again.

Bisected floating ghost person going "You didn't just use the H-word did you?" made me cringe hard.

fair enough
why though? its obviously a slur to her

The sex scenes ARE getting a bit gratutitous of late, but i dont really mind.....Staples' can do them so she may as well, eh

keeps shit exciting.

Just seems like she'd be more worried about her intestines getting caught on a railing or something, not someone casually using an identifier without malicious intent.

i love Ghus ;--;

oh........you're new?

she's a ghost. She's long dead. She can shape shift into anything she wants. Thats the form she had when she died.

i feel like he looks way older than he should be.
He and hazel should be about the same age; isn't she 5?

Gonna try and get through issue #33

>Oh......you're new?
I've never read Saga, no. And judging by this story time, that's gonna change anytime soon. These characters are pretty bland to melodramatic.
>She's a ghost. She's long dead. She can shape shift into anything she wants. That's the form she had when she died.
Can she shape shift into a less hypersensitive cunt?

>Can she shape shift into a less hypersensitive cunt?
>somone calls you a slur
>its hyper sensitive to be offended and/or point it out
...okay then

in any case if you've never read it at all before, you may or may not want to try reading from the beginning idk

is he balls deep?
someone whos done that lmk

>What are the physical, mental, and emotional symptoms of grief?
Physical symptoms include:
Loss of appetite or weight gain

Mental symptoms include:
Forgetfulness
Inability to concentrate
Confusion
Decreased decision-making or problem-solving abilities

Emotional symptoms include:
Depression
Anger
Helplessness
Anxiety
Mood swings

;---;
Hysteria

I honestly just got bored with it. It stopped being new or exciting. New people got introduced and then killed. Less interesting characters showed up to replace them. Also the relationship drama was stupid water treading.

BKV lost it
Y:The Last Man is miles above Saga

so.......Anyone still reading?
if there is i'll continue, if not, gonna call it with that.

DUDE SWEARING LMAO

Thanks for the dump
I might look this up and start from the beginning

continuing slowly

You may continue until the latest issue.

Heh, I should have made my presence known when I entered the thread instead of halfway through reading, bit I'm on mobile.
Passes sure are nice - I had one for a year in like 2013; maybe I should get another one.

you're welcome.

its worth reading from the beginning.
if the board/my internet will quit shitting myself, sure
"you may"
lmao
you're welcome btw
okay!

yeah having a pass makes storytiming easy, since i can just load all the pics.

having to deal with captcha is really bothersome, and i'm tempted to just throw $20 at hiro right now.

Just finished reading #36. Lots of reaction image potential.

>muh inevitability of death
>Ghus cut The Will's right hand fingers as revenge
>daddy daddy daddy daddy daddy daddy daddy
>Ghus and his big walrus left for dead
>The Brand returns as possessed by The Stalk
>Alana is pregnant again! Original sauce: BKV's ass

I'm gonna miss ghus ;---; i was hella scared when i read it.
Also, i feel like marko and alana being pregnant again isn't going to end well at all; I'm thinking miscarriage-?

>the brand possesed by the stalk
wait explain that. Aren't they both dead as a doornail?

;-----------------------;

chek'd

Oh wise and powerful Hyper Satan, what is your wish?

>that quints
>that next page
POTTERY

Next time you do a story time, don't make any text posts. You're just turning people off of this. I had just assumed the "h-word" page was a joke, until you started going on about slurs and offenses. No one here wants to read something people like you enjoy. And this is coming from a third party in this shitty conversation.

I got the first trade of this since it was cheap, and found the main couple bland and unlikable. The TV-head robot seemed like an asshole too. The Will & The Stalk were neat, but then one got killed. Are the protagonists supposed to grow on me over time, or are they just shit and everyone who likes this just like different things than I do?

lmao. fuck off.
>posting pictures during a storytime
rude as fuck, have you no edicate??
i'll let it slide since those were sextuplets
uhhh
money?
happiness?
love?

well the protags are kind of selfish, like romeo and juliet.
They grow on you and become endearing.

for every character you like a character will die more or less.

The stalk is......still around. sort of.
Prince Robot is /mostly/ a dick yeah.

>money?
You can't have any.
>happiness?
Only you can make yourself happy.
>love?
L-London?

>still around. sort of.
I don't know what this means, but I'll ass the second trade to my haul next month. We shall see.

>lmao
>uhhh
Are you posting ironically?

rip, thats to be expected
rip, >tfw you will never ever have happiness
rip, i live in the US' West Coast.

>rip
>rip
>rip
What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

are you reading the issues I've posted? She's been on panel several times; and she shows up alongside Will pretty regularly......originally it wasnt wholly clear if she was real or not though. now its pretty certain shes a hallucination.

nop

>are you reading the issues I've posted
No I didn't realize there was a dump going on and I don't want any spoilers.

>Gwen
>Sophie
>Lying Cat

they're all gonna die horribly to send The Will way way overboard, aren't they?

you seem very pedestrian. did you read the post to which i replied???

oh.
okay then yeah, dont read this stuff, if all you've read is the first trade, the issues posted in this thread will ruin alot of things for you.
)))):
but i mean they're all still alive right now, i really can't see sophie dying, i imagine she's gonna end up as hazel's friend or antagonist; and Gwen and the will seem like their romantic entanglement will continue, which leaves.....lying cat...;---;

re how can Petrichor smell it and Marko can't?
or maybe its a skill limited to females of that species or something.

I don't get how this thing keeps winning awards for art. The perspective seems all off.

it was pretty good up until around Vol. 3, then it started to fall back into being another generic BKV comic.

also minor complaint, but the alien designs do nothing for me, they're boring as fuck.

I read the first 20 issues or so. 7/10 series at best. BKV should have gotten a better artist.

The comics industry is really impressed with Fiona's fashion sense.

>NEW STORY ARC! “THE WAR FOR PHANG,” PART ONE.
>SAGA is back with its most epic storyline yet, and to celebrate, FIONA STAPLES graces this issue with a gorgeous wraparound cover! Finally reunited with her ever-expanding family, Hazel travels to a war-torn comet that Wreath and Landfall have been battling over for ages.
>This arc is a self-contained “event” we’ve been building to since our very first issue, so now is the perfect time for readers who love SAGA's bestselling collections to join our monthly adventures! -

>This arc is a self-contained “event” we’ve been building to since our very first issue,
as much as i love the series, i feel like Staples and BKV aren't going to deliver.

honestly, these aren't the best issues art wise.

she didn't used to draw backgrounds much of the time, i think thats impacting alot of other things.
perspective-wise it seems fine to me though-?

Feelin' myself, back off, cause I'm feelin' myself, jack off
He be thinking about me when he whacks off, wax on? Wax off

looks like a solid 8" y/n?
lol

Has BKV ever stated how long he expects saga to run?

> totally necessary panel

>calls a fictional character hypersensitive while he's offended that a fictional character was offended

Just some fan service.

not that i can recall, but saga has the most potentional to be a long-running ongoing, since its "about" Hazel.
I figure he at least plans to follow her into young adult hood.

re-reading this, i just realized that izabel must be pretty "old".

Obviously older than Petrichor who i assume is Marko and Alana's age, and i figure they're pushing thirty at least

!!!!!!!!

so she's learning to use magic, eh?

DUN DUN DUN

i used to like sophie but now i dont since she basically killed The Will.

how wild is this shit gonna be when it hits the fan?

he's just bulking bro

SS+GOMAD?

idk where the fuck they're going with this meerkat thing

he's cultivating mass.

I can't wait for #38

I've been wanting to send in a letter for a while now, but having to send it via snail mail is annoying.
i should bite the bullet though.

They're gonna die.

probably
whos gonna kill them though?
the comet is about to explode or some shit, so we know the cast is about to lose /someone/ i just hope its not anyone on the shit right now.

but if its anybody, i'm gonna guess it''ll be marko or alana or prince robot, since obviously its not hazel or isabel, and killing off petrichor so quickly is unlike Vaugn

thats it for now, #38 is out wednesday!

Prince robot has had a death flag hanging over him since ever since his son was born.

I still expect Squire and Hazel to date, though.

I'm actually loving the subtle variety of tweaks between different kinds of non-human faces. they're humanoid so i can relate to them easier but they're not just plain humans so they taste interesting to my brain.

>teacher's face 3rd panel - i love this teacher's face, it's so wonky

>mother's face 4th panel expression is spot on for what i can tell of her character so far

ITT people who never read Starstruck

Basically, everything before the time skip is perfect.

> I miss you, I miss everyone.

Fuck.

>Gwendolyn is black, interracial couple with The Will
Did SJW's invent black people?
>most female characters are bi or lesbian
I can't think of a single lesbian or bi female character in the series.
>>they introduced a "strong, courageous" tranny character
Pretty sure the entire point of that character was to contrast the differences between the landfall and wreath cultures.
>Alana does drugs and shit, Marko gets mad and throws her some groceries, it's suddenly domestic abuse
Nobody thinks Alana is the victim besides Alana.
>Objectively speaking, the only good character is Sir Robot.
Lying cat, the Will

Plus even Tite Kubo draws better backgrounds

fiona staples manages to capture expressions perfectly

I feel sorry for The Will even though he's a galactic hitman.

> they don't even try to fucking hide it
They never did.

>IV's scene was really weird. Didn't he tell the writer that he wasn't bi when asked about having sex dreams about his soldiers?
>When he would have even had the chance to discover that part of his sexuality while lost in a planet in the middle of nowhere?

I'm not bothered about that, I understand the point of the scene.

I just don't think it was necessary to draw a full size panel with nothing but his dick on it.

It's not that I'm prude, I just think the book shows more naked guys than naked chicks.

>After a few years of being awesome enough that people learned about Saga it mysteriously became bad. How about that.

Honestly, in this case, I think Saga did get worse after a while, and it just so happened to be when more people took note of it. The first three arcs kept the plot and character progressing, but post time skip we had two arcs where everything slowed down drastically. The ice planet takes up six issues, and almost nothing progresses as we waste time on side stories that don't seem to have a payoff as you read them.

It gets better after the second time skip, though, arguably because Alanna and Marko have more of a plot driving them.

I stopped reading at that volume. Lost interest.

Did it every seem weird how everyone talked dressed amd acted like ot was modern america, but they were all aliens and shit? Was that deliberate? It felt really off. Like Uncanny Valley applied to dialogue and setting

How many other indie comics are you reading right now? There's your answer. Everyone who reads more than five non-big-two books knows Saga is bottom of the barrel and hates that everyone thinks it's amazing.

I read the first two, but the only character I'm really invested in is the Robot prince.

>The first three arcs kept the plot and character progressing, but post time skip we had two arcs where everything slowed down drastically.
From a story telling perspective it's not exactly feasible to be GO GO GO all the time; there have to be peaks and valleys; the story needs time to breathe; and in the case of the two arcs you mentioned, they were set up for pay off later on
I think some arcs are better when read quickly followed by the next arc though; I do agree there.

>dude nudity just for the sake of it lmao
this comic is so bad

I remember reading the first trade way back when and thinking this comic was going to be great
What went wrong

a cast of overwhelmingly unlikable characters, a plot that crawls at a standstill and goes nowhere, medicore art, and a retarded chimp behind the wheel writing it.

>What went wrong

Literally everyone in the supporting cast is more likeable/interesting than the protagonists, so most of the time you're just waiting for the story to get back to them (see IV, The Will and so on).

I read the first volume because of the hype and I kinda liked it, but not enough to want to pick up the 2nd. I gave it a 2nd read some time later to see maybe I just didn't 'get it', but I got the same feeling.

Well yeah, all I'm saying is that the slower pacing didn't work for me. Ideally, you can seed long term plots while maintaining story flow in the short term, but I don't feel like it was done all that well for those two arcs.

It's that shallow, Jewish styled focus on the mucosal gratuity of sex. "Yeah I eat yoghurts whilst I shit, my sopping vagina smells of old acorns and my fiance likes it when I fist his urethra, so what? You got a problem with that?" It reduces everything in existence to base sexual fulfillment, so the plot loses all intrigue or depth.

Every situation is because of some uncontrolled, repressed or self-shaming sexual urge, regardless of the alien involved. Everybody thinks and behaves how a 15 year old girl pictures an adult life.

At one point a wise old character expesses the enlightening and life changing revelation that the sensation a being feels at the moment before death is "fucking".

It's just repetitive and dull.

Hey buddy, guy, boss, friendo. It's not your fault. Look at me son. It's not your fault.

Typical Vaughn. Feels like a thirteen year old wrote it. He was so excited he could write about anything that he spent every issue trying to say and do as much disgusting shit as possible.

It loses focus as the creators realized that it was selling and the reviewers all talked like they had written the next Watchmen.

Really, that's what bothers you? I'm more disturbed that every body treated it like Indy Jesus. Not even the best edge book on the market.

It's by no means a "ground breaking" idea or story, but it's still well worth the read.

I read the first few issues but I gave up pretty quickly, I think when the dude's parents showed up. It has the same issues I have with BKV's work in general, mainly samey dialogue and the pacing/paneling is like he's writing for a hopeful TV adaptation.

The most memorable thing for me was the rocket ship forest.

It's funny, because he refuses to let it become a TV adaption.

dropped it after best girl got killed off

It wasn't Robot Princess in particular. She was just the final straw.

The grandfather, the author, The Will, then Robot Princess among others I can't remember now. I am getting The Walking Dead vibes, where the only reason anything good happens it so the fall is higher.

so uh any suggestions on where i can read this online? i'm not used to looking for western comics on the internet

You don't think it's "one of the best fictions ever"?