Sonic Universe Issue 90 Storytime

Alright, now we're at the conclusion of the Shattered arc.

While Sonic and Co are battling Dark Gaia, Knuckles, Amy, And Team Dark are fighting Naugus. Who will win, well we probably know but let's see anyways.

Oh hey, Looks Like Sonic's ASRT Ride isn't the only one that exists in this new continuity.

Oh he just took Amy off screen?

......Okay.

Naugus you motherfucker...

Amy Rose at her best Ladies and Gents.

He had to have been retarded to think that would work.

Not sure if anybody is reading but whatever. I'll just finish it anyways.

Well at least Rouge got her happy ending.

Bonuses!

Good storytime, thanks OP. Always amazing how good the comics writing is, especially when you compare it to the garbage that is the games.

And now the Off Panel

Thank you, OP. This was a good issue. The comic remains in good hands.

Next time on Sonic Universe!

Pirates!
Laughs!
Mystery!

All this and more from "The Detectives That are On your side!" Next month!

>especially when you compare it to the garbage that is the games.
Classic Sonic is great

Hoo boy, here we go.

Honestly not a great issue, far far too rushed with too much stuff in too little space.

Bravo, you made me laugh.

I have to agree here. A lot of these Universe arcs feel too short.

The flashback to the conversation with Amy and Knuckles seems forced in even though that's something that could've been at the beginning of part 1.

Naugus transforming himself into Sonic was stupid and didn't add anything to the story.

Chip's sacrifice is spoiled at the end of the issue. I know that's not really a spoiler for anyone familiar with Sonic Unleashed's plot but still.

>Naugus transforming himself into Sonic was stupid and didn't add anything to the story.

Yeah I agree with you there.......but you gotta admit, it was pretty fucking funny

I think they only did so there could be a panel of Knuckles and Shadow beating up Sonic and no other reason.

The fight with Naugus seemed rushed, and underwhelming. Wasn't he using the power of the the Master Emerald? He should have been able to get out of Shadow's grip easily; I'd hope he wasn't using the Master Emerald for only the cliffhanger last issue. There have seemed to be a few not that well-written fights post-reboot, honestly.

Seems he has to be physically connected to it to pull a OHKO. And to be fair this fight was stacked against Naugus in the beginning: he's not strong physically and he has to deal with 5 top tier fighters. He could mindrape Shadow and Rouge but Omega stopped it. He could control Omega but the others interfered. I'm surprised he lasted this long honestly.

Yeah, he seems to be glowing in the last issue and the beginning of this one, but honestly it just made for an underwhelming fight, even if it WAS 5 on 1. The Naugus vs. Silver and Shard battle seemed at least slightly better because they purposely prevented him from getting his scepter, but here they would have been screwed if he were still connected to the Master Emerald, most likely.

Needs more "Amy carelessly smashing stuff with her hammer"

You say that like it's a bad thing.

There's also in consideration Nagus has been weakened since the reboot. We haven't really see how capable he is when he is actually powered by Ixis power.

Yeah, I feel like there's been a slight problem with hyping a battle up rcently-ish then having it be a bit underwhelming, such as Total Eclipse's finale, a bit, or 286, in which Sonic was saved because his fight with Eggman wasn't 5 seconds shorter( a pretty big asspull in my opinion)

Naugus is a decent manipulator if he has time to set up, but really he's kind of shitty at improvising.

Too much stuff? All they really do is punch Naugus out and run the Master Emerald up to its original spot. The awkward bits are that Amy and the teleporter aren't shown properly to introduce them, but that's not really a pacing issue. I do agree that the conversation in the car should have been in an earlier issue. Naugus transforming into Sonic was just a fun little trick in the fight.

I kind of like that. Makes him different from Eggman.

Eggy has plans within his plans, while Nagus is very good when he has the time to manipulate the situation, but when put on the spot he is not as capable.

Are they teasing Knux/Amy here or am I imagining things?

Seeing things, cause sega characters hooking up is officially a no-no post-reboot.

OCs are free game tho.

Considering the writer, a little of both. They're just writing the characters in a way that shows off their traits, but they know how the fans will take it.

Yeah, Naugus being kind of a loser is one of the things I like about him. He's not really one of my favorite villains, but his goofball melodrama and short-sighted pettiness make up for such an overpowered grab bag of random magical powers.

I really hope we get at least another affiliated villain besides him tho. Just to add variety (specially now that Wendy is part of the Egg Bosses).

I guess Breezie could be considered one, but her actions are too neutral to really be considered a full bad guy.

I like non-Eggman villains, and I agree we could use some more (especially since about half the Egg Bosses turned out to be going for a more sympathetic angle.) I also like though that there doesn't always have to be a Big Bad in the reboot: sometimes the villain is just a monster, or it's a Super-Badnik, or it's a bad situation. One shots that don't need masterminds is something that Sonic does fairly well I think, and the comic had such a bloated cast with so many loose ends that constantly needed tying it never had the space to do so before. So I don't want the villains' roster to grow too much, to the point of simply constantly rotating between them like the old days. There should always be room for breathers and exploration.

Was that cute ghost girl from the Unleashed short ever in this Unleashed arc, or anywhere else?

Sadly Nope.

She did make a cameo on a variant cover though

Gangster

Is nice to hear another user that is enjoying the reboot despite it's shortcoming.

Yes, I'm gonna miss a lot of plot points that were going somewhere, but the fresh start surprisingly has made me way more hooked on the comic than before.

What issue is the first of the fresh start, exactly? Didn't it get rebooted twice, or something? Once due to Genesis Wave, and then because of the madness of Ken Penders?

The Genesis Wave was a small reboot to bring robotization back, as well as some minor tweaks.

The true reboot however comes from Countdown to Chaos, but the cause of it and recommended starting point I'd say it's the first Sonic/Mega Man crossover Wolds Collide.

It had a four issue arc where the world temporarily changed due to the Genesis Wave, then the madness of Ken Penders made them reboot for real. The Sonic/Mega Man crossover Worlds Collide makes the reboot happen (and needs no comic knowledge to read, so it works fine as a fresh start) and then the new continuity starts with 252.

Why exactly do the people that are against the reboot hate it? Is it because it sticks closer to the universe of the video games?

Mostly because they feel the stories have been weak so far. I can see where they are coming from, but it's honestly a matter of opinion.

Some of the pacing has been messed with through mandates, either by a big crossover or demanding stories be a certain too-long or too-short length.
There's not as many characters as there were before, when talking about the tertiary and evil cast (although there's a whole truckload considering we've only been in the reboot for so long).
The heroes haven't had their shit kicked in really badly until the most recent issue, so the book was seen as too lighthearted.
It took a short while for the continuity to really get presented cleanly, especially because the editor and the writer disagreed on a key issue.
And yes, there's always been a contingency of the fandom that just hates the hell out of the games and wishes the comic would have as little as possible to do with them. So the comic becoming much closer to the games was seen as a problem to some of the older readers. Whether it's the designs hewing closer to SegaSonic ones, Sega Sonic locations showing up, or the characters acting slightly more like their game portrayals, they hate all of it.

But it's mostly subjective, stuff you could love or hate. Nothing inherently right or wrong.

Thanks!

Well done user.

>tfw you'll never have a tea party with humanoid animal monsters

Cream is Cute.

CUTE!

I don't really hate it, but I really haven't really read anything that's gotten me really hooked or attached to the book. There's stuff I like, such as Champions and Waves of Change, but I've just kinda fallen off and haven't really been interested in reading it.

I think a good part of that was reading the pre-reboot for so long and getting way attached to that lore, characters, and world and ending up with no proper closure has hindered my ability to really get into it as well. I just can't really move on and it bums me out.

LHT being indefinitely shelved likely until Ian leaves or the book itself dies also really sucks.

I'm starting with Worlds Collide as recommended and the interactions between Eggman and Wily are amazing. Just give them their own book, there's already a dozen spinoffs.

yes

>blaze's face
Shame she's not holding coffee

Closest we'll ever get to that.

Whats your favorite chapter of the comics Cred Forums? Mine is 175, it was pretty neat seeing sonic pushed to the edge like that. too bad he didn't break the shield.

>Crystal Hammer
>"Well isn't that nice? Wally upgraded your hammer for you."
I know this won't be permanent, but I'd live if it was permanent.

I only just got the implication here that Shadow and Knuckles really wanted to beat the shit out of Sonic.

>because the editor and the writer disagreed on a key issue
Which was?

Not him, but I believe he is referring to some of the characters getting memories of the old world/pre-reboot during the early reboot issues.