What is this? WHAT IS THIS?

kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Howard-Lovecraft-the-Frozen-Kingdom

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=75hQwSJFuXg
youtube.com/watch?v=nFzdIaBnckg&list=WL&index=341
youtube.com/watch?v=FvILFVJMPvY
youtube.com/watch?v=XxScTbIUvoA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_person
thequietus.com/articles/16129-alan-moore-providence-cthulhu-philosophy-language-lovecraft
imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi631944729?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1
youtube.com/watch?v=ZmQb-qBq4hI
youtube.com/watch?v=HHCdRCNJl9w
theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/11/hp-lovecraft-world-fantasy-awards/415485/
youtube.com/watch?v=iumNiu0XE7o
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Squad
youtube.com/watch?v=UHxTIVj1suQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I see this as a threat / opportunity.
In any case, it's way too early for this.

Shit. I watch this only because Ron Perlman

He had a terrible childhood filled with abuse, death, and night terrors involving shadow people. Making a cutsey film about chibi lovecraft is damn near insulting

youtube.com/watch?v=75hQwSJFuXg

youtube.com/watch?v=nFzdIaBnckg&list=WL&index=341

youtube.com/watch?v=FvILFVJMPvY

>That scene where Howard writes a poem called "On the Creation of Niggers"
What was Raimi thinking?

He was just being faithful to the source material. A bit too faithful, even.

Not really. He was just an agoraphobic shut in rich kid with some mommy issues and vivid nightmares.

Not the worst the early twentieth century had to offer.

He had both of his parents die in an insane asylum

I wonder if they're gonna include his hilarious disdain for blacks.

I recall back in 2013, some user said that right after Hollywood was done with Capes, Lovecraft and co would be its new bitch....

i wasn't expecting this so soon

will Nigger-man be in it?
(that's his cat's name)

Well that is problem with public domain, anyone can do what they want user, but at least they're keeping his name out there. Worst thing that can happen to a creator is being forgotten.

I agree it wasnt the worst for early 20 centurary, but his life was still terribly shit. Tbh he probably had undiagnosed autism and other mental diseases.
I thought he got over that in his later years?

I don't know if I'd call him "rich". His was a named family yes, and an old as fuck family in the colonies, but they really only had the name for the most part. His father was a door to door salesman, for fucks sake. His Grandad was a businessman granted, but he wasn't really born into his Grandad's household. Eventually he and his mother moved in with him when his Dad was committed, yes. And his Grandad inspired most of his love in literature. But when his Grandad died the mismanagement of his estate caused the whole family to plunge into a very poor financial situation. To say the least. His wife was kind of rich, though. But they were married for a super short amount of time because her family felt that Lovecraft being poor meant he didn't deserve his family name or their history anymore or some shit. Also, she lost pretty much all of her money almost immediately after they were married because of a bank failure and a collapsing business.

He was also super sick all the time as a child and suffered from strong sleep paralysis issues. Not just vivid nightmares.

He BECAME an agoraphobe as he got older, mind you. And became super uncomfortable around large groups of minority peoples. It wasn't the worst the 20th century had to offer, yeah. But his life had some serious issues.

It's just using a known name to make a creepy Halloween kids movie, no big deal.

The kid's face looks familiar. Looks like a reused model but I can't place it.

>shadow people
That's where he got the inspiration for the "Six Shots Before Midnight" chapter in Reanimator, right?

I kid. You can't make a cute film about lovecraft at all. He had a really fucking terrible childhood.

I can't recall his views on blacks softening much over the years, though I do remember something about him preferring cultures to stay in their respective countries than half-assedly assimilating. I'm not sure if that's for better or for worse for the guy, though.

I can't quite give a source on that right now, so you can take that with a grain of salt just fine.

I'm not quite sure how the theoretical views of a cartoon of a 9-11 year-old Lovecraft would have on them, though.

ParaNorman?

It uses his Mythos and this is the first animated version of Lovecraft's works. This is a big deal.

No.

His father died in an insane asylum but probably from syphilis. Other than that, he lived a charmed, even spoiled childhood.

Yeah might be. Thanks.

Honestly, i think we should forgive lovecraft on some of his racist tendancies. He lived in a different time, was probably autistic to an extant, and much more famous authors have done far worse then him and are beloved by many. The fact some major fiction society took a statue of him down is appaling. I regard lovecraft as one of the greatest fiction writers of the 20th centurary, along with tolkien.

Actually most of his works were inspired by his dreams. The main villain of this movie and one of his more popular characters Nyarlathotep was one of his more terrifying ones

You're going to need to start sourcing your statements.

Links.

Ive read multiple accounts of things alot different then what youve described. Citation needed faggot.

I don't think so, cape comics are their own genre of a medium, Lovecraft is just a writer who wrote short stories, even if all of his work could be adapted to screen (and it couldn't), each one couldn't be its own movie and the ones that could don't have enough of a mass appeal in the same way comic book movies do.

I mean, people just think "Cthulhu" when they think of Lovecraft (even if Cthulhu is probably the least interesting element of Lovecraft's work), so I can maybe see a Cthulhu movie for the gimmick appeal that will get all the "nerds" to go see it, but I just can't see much more of his stuff being made into a whole franchise of movies, blatant racism aside.

I heard that HPL actually really resented his first name, and those who knew him well referred to him by his last name or a nickname. When the title of a work tells me the makers don't know the first thing about the source material, that's a bad sign.

Wait, Nyarly is in this? Oh, please let this be good. Please let Nyarlathotep be good.

I hope so. Maybe they'll change its name to Spooky, though, so that it can still be offensive, but more cute.

youtube.com/watch?v=XxScTbIUvoA

There has been a lot of research done into the topic of Lovecraft's racism. A lot of people are keen on labeling him a racist and calling it good and marking his work for the rest f eternity over it. And some people are willing to just accept that he was racist and so was everyone else at that time in New England, because of course they were. There was even that issue last year where some of the winners of Hugo Awards claimed they were ashamed of the awards or some shit because someone went out of their way to tell all of them that Lovecraft was a racist, because the award is apparently just a bust of Lovecraft. And they acknowledge that the racism was a product of his era, but: "That doesn't excuse it", apparently. And they felt that making the statues the face of a racist was wrong?

According to a bunch of personal letters and interviews and things: his views were actually less biology based and more based on Nationality though, yeah. He didn't like people half-assedly trying to assimilate because their own cultures were vibrant and alive, and doing so kind of tarnished them. He believed in color lines to help protect beliefs of older cultures of people because history and culture are always important and a half assed assimilation into a new culture tends to ruin and destroy older beliefs. People also forget, usually, that his wife was Jewish during an era where Jews were looked down upon quite harshly. He said of her "She's quite well assimilated". Which kind of illustrates the idea that he was fine with minorities if they didn't half ass moving to the country and starting over. Crowds of people made him exceptionally uncomfortable though, and a lot of the "racist" stuff said of and by Lovecraft come out of a time when he was living in New York and would have to more or less swim through crowds of immigrants and minorities to go from place to place. He got really displeased having to do so and it fueled a misunderstood fire.

People who claim his father died of syphilis often forget that he and his mother didn't have even a trace of it themselves and that there is zero proof outside conjecture based on symptoms that he had it. Also, Lovecraft's mother was indeed committed herself eventually for completely different reasons and died in the same mental institution as his father because of a surgery failure.

Holy shit I just watched some of it. It's atrocious. The animation is spectacularly bad.

they do end up softening a little, as he started realizing that it wasn't logical to do so, but he died before it became particularly noticeable, he needed at least another decade or two of life for that

not to mention a lot of his more problematic aspects were thanks to the influence of his aunts, who were absolutely horrid people in every respect, ESPECIALLY for the era

Is it wrong that I now want a series about early 20th century Weird Fiction writers as children exploring the supernatural at summer camp?

HPL was exceptionally racist, even for his time, and it lost him a lot of good will and friendships. Yes, he was also a nationalist. He felt that English were a naturally superior race over all other races. He just happened to be of English descent himself, of course.

The man was a huge cunt, personally. And as a writer he was frankly mediocre at best, and most of his contemporaries were better.

Derleth, Robert E Howard, and Ashton Smith Clark in a summer camp with Lovecraft, I'd dig it.

Ooooh
I'd fund it

>shadow people
That's a cute, old timey euphemism for blacks

The New York Mongoloid problem is beyond calm mention. The city is befouled and accursed—I come away from it with a sense of having been tainted by contact, and long for some solvent of oblivion to wash it out! … How in Heaven’s name sensitive and self-respecting white men can continue to live in the stew of Asiatic filth which the region has become—with marks and reminders of the locust-plague on every hand—is absolutely beyond me. … There is here a grave and mighty problem beside which the negro problem is a jest—for in this case we have to deal not with childlike half-gorillas, but with yellow, soulless enemies whose repulsive carcasses house dangerous mental machines warped culturelessly in the single direction of material gain at any cost. I hope the end will be warfare … In New England we have our own local curses … in the form of simian Portuguese, unspeakable Southern Italians, and jabbering French-Canadians. Broadly speaking, our curse is Latin just as yours is Semitic-Mongoloid, the Mississippian’s African, the Pittsburgher’s Slavonic, the Arizonian’s Mexican, and the Californian’s Chino-Japanese.*–Letter from Lovecraft to Frank Belknap Long, August 21, 1926.

>He didn't like people half-assedly trying to assimilate
If that's racist then call me a clansman.

Actually he had some Welsh and had a huge freak out over it. He even admitted he was wrong about his racism and that it was mostly just his problems with people. He also liked Hitler. He wasn't a cunt. Only a man.

>liked Hitler
>wasn't a cunt
Cred Forums please

How can you be exceptionally racist?
Hitting your slaves personally instead of letting your slave driver do it for you?

They were literal shadow demons in his dreams, not blacks.

A lot of people liked Hitler in his time. He also thought Hitler was a clown. He didn't live to see the Holocaust however, wonder how that would have affected him..?

heh, I just got it

Say what you will about him, but to call him mediocore only shows your shittaste.

Look at the sleep paralysis section guys.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_person

I agree that Lovecraft was top tier but Poe did it better with The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket.

>He calls his cat Spooky and call's him Spook for short.
>Black friend: Riiiiiight
>Get out of my room Spook!
>WHATTHEFUCK?
>*meow*
>Ohh...

Final joke of the movie is that he isn't racist, just anti-semetic

He was married for a good long time to a Jewish woman and had Jewish (homosexual) friends. I don't think he would've enjoyed finding out and seeing the Holocaust.

Have you actually read HPL? Or do you just like him because he's dark and edgy, like your soul? Play a lot of Dark Souls maybe? Into tentacles and shit?

The guy can't right dialogue. The guy can't right characters. He can barely string a plot together. Every single idea that's good about his books he just cribbed from better writers, whether it's horror in the unknown and undefinable, ancient books driving men mad, or creepy crawlers from under the sea.

He wasn't rich. Started off rich but that didn't last.

thequietus.com/articles/16129-alan-moore-providence-cthulhu-philosophy-language-lovecraft

Also confirmed for not reading the Dream Quest of Kadath

>Have you actually read HPL? Or do you just like him because he's dark and edgy, like your soul? Play a lot of Dark Souls maybe? Into tentacles and shit?

I think this was a comic first. Hell, I think I saw it on Cred Forums.

Most racists make a point of not being explicitly racist, but will still do racist things like get scared when they see a black guy coming their way, or voting for Trump.

HPL wouldn't shut up about how racist he was. He told everybody who would listen. He would write poems and horror stories about it. Even his Jewish wife left him over it. Other writers who frequently wrote back and forth with him gave up talking to him and told him to go to hell with his bullshit.

>The guy can't right dialogue. The guy can't right characters

Dude you cant even write

He was also known to go on anti-semitic rants and his wife had to remind him "hey, I'M Jewish"

Does it have his pet cat Nigger in it?

How do you even get that racist? He wasn't even a white nationalist. He hated everything that wasn't an Anglo-Saxon.

And you can't use punctuation.

Thats the whole point you fucking little pretentious shit. Its not about ronantic plots or happy endings or other sissy shit. Its about cosmic horror and philisophical themes, which you obviously cant comprhend you brain dead mongoloid!

The cats name was Nigger Man in the story.

Autism is a hell of a drug.

Be from old money that's not got the money any more, so all you have left is the old.

>tfw I used to experience that daily.

Oh God.

Don't know what this is but I'll look into this on the 1st

You folks are all talking about Lovecraft's life and views but no one's talking about this mediocre movie. Here's a video I scrounged up after a quick Google search.

imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi631944729?ref_=ttvi_vi_imdb_1

The models look bizarre whenever they're moving in the slightest, and the backgrounds are ugly as sin. Maybe it's because of what I imagine Lovecraft to be, a slightly grumpy and dreary but wildly artistic young adult, but I really am not big on this interpretation of him. Also, more accursed "every non-human entity is treated like a dog" tropes.

His works are top tier but his original works are bit hard to read if you don't have good english comprehension.

>exceptionally racist
Isn't racism a fashionable behavior back then? Though his came from social anxiety.

>preferring cultures to stay in their respective countries than half-assedly assimilating
Well he got a bulls-eye on that.

*old god

>Ron Perlman

Noooo...come on, Ron...

I loved Jane Curtin in 3rd Rock from the Sun

I've experience'd it once and it did felt like someone was standing over my chest, and i did see an outline of a person over me when i opened my eyes. Could just be my brain trying to make sense of things since the mind simply alibis almost the majority of the stimuli it receives.

I fucking hate when this shit happens. It happens rarely, but it always scares the shit out of me when it does. I also tend to break shit since most of the time I'll end up throwing something from my nightstand at it. I've broken at least 3 lamps this way.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZmQb-qBq4hI

And you can't LIVE!
*slices you with katana*

I recall reading a letter that he wrote towards the end of his -- admittedly young -- life where he spoke about how ashamed he was of his earlier attitudes.

Who knows where he might have ended up if he'd survived to be an older man.

>Not available

Well, found another link and it looks fucking terrible
youtube.com/watch?v=HHCdRCNJl9w

>HP Lovecraft held racist views during a time period when neither Jews or the Irish were considered white.
>People are so upset by this that they want to discredit his contribution to literature.

What the fuck is going on?

Do people really expect the long-dead to retroactively adhere to the cultural norms of the present?

that looks like its from fucking 2007

If I remember right, she was a bit more vulgar about it and often had to remind him that he was SLEEPING with a Jewess.

Hey, Boco.

Keep on truckin', man.

>The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

Was Lovecraft a racist, or was he simply hiding his fear of different cultures behind a facade of disgust?

I've been in quite a few literature classes and never seen anyone try to discredit him establishment wise, unless you're counting like tumblr victims or something.

Lovercraft literature was always shit and the racist views only helps to remove his books I should know
I successfully petitioned to remove all lovercraft paraphernalia in out school and city library on the grounds of racism and sexism

See above in this very thread where it is discussed that a literary committee changed the appearance of an award because it was shaped like a bust of Lovecraft.

of course he was racist but that doesn't mean anything in terms of his work.

If you try to de-legitimize based on political points of view, half of our history would need to be teologically erased since it went towards the view humanity was 'progressing'

Same reason you can Hunter S Thompson or any other Americanist that doesn't hold opinions that are held by majority. Poe is celebrated and he is probably one of the creepiest american's ever made.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MOVIE

Without links or sourcing I tend to take that stuff with a grain of salt. People pull facts out of their ass all the time on here. I could tell you I am the president of the united states. Does that make it true?

>Star Trek is no longer progressive enough

You miserable waste of flesh, you'd be of more use to the world ground up and fed to dogs.

People have been successfully banning literature as long as it has existed user and it keeps coming back. For every sjw, some teacher will find a way to get merits of the idea out there and get around the banning. It is the cyclical nature of the beast with censorship, don't fear, books have an unnaturally resilient nature.

You're right, of course, but I stand by my statement that censors should be butchered and fed to animals.

Don't you have better things to do than shitposting online Mr. President?

theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/11/hp-lovecraft-world-fantasy-awards/415485/

Assuming user is talking about this.

IT'S FUCKING SHIT

Did you ban Huck Finn as well?

I love how he just fucking hated everyone

Stop doing so much meth you retarded redneck

Then she must have been an idiot

In the 1920s hating everything that wasn't a white Protestant of Northern European descent was being a white nationalist

There is a reason why the play "the Melting Pot" has been considered evidence of Jewish racemixing schemes for over 100 years, despite the Jewish author advocating the mixing of the native Anglo-Americans with Jews, Irish, Slavs and other Europeans to form a European super-race.

And even today the Eternal Anglo continues to thirst for the blood of all other races.

Japan did it better.

>voting for Trump

Obvious bait is obvious, but I still took it

As was his christian duty.

Calling things mediocre is what cunts do to people who hold opinions that hurt their feelings

Not a redneck, just a guy with narcolepsy which certainly doesn't help matters.

My dog is a flat coated retriever and sometimes I like to call her African animal

"The truth will out. "

apparently not.

I was watching an old episode of Boston Legal and people have been complaining a long time about political correctness, I think the difference is the militancy and short attention spans of people today. In fact if anything now it just seems like more people are against it finally but between the 9/11 period and cultural antithesis of anything out of politically correct language, it just didn't have a viable enemy, now it does, and that is why it is so pervasive and easy to undermine now(political and cultural correctness). Which in my view is a good thing. I'd rather know who is trying to censor what, same reason I support FIRE for what it does on college campuses.

Lovecraft can never be truly diminished because he helped establish an ephemeral quality in literature/imagination within society in terms of his work which will last far beyond any view that is..inconvenient to the body of his works.

People seem to forget quite a few americanists are socialists. Some even communist and while I can like their ideas and stories in literature, I do not support their political views. I still believe they have the right to have them though.

You can't have a successful thread topic if it is tied to a more interesting topic. The movie is so shit it's not even worth bitching over for once.

>this is the first animated version of Lovecraft's works.

???

>draw it a frenchman
>call it a girl
reeeeeeee

>problematic

Is this just a huge bait thread or something?

Contrary to popular belief, regressive leftism is way more prevalent and powerful than a bunch of krauts and brits posting cartoon frogs on a mongolian knitting forum .

Did you replace it with this one!?

oh that reminds me that orson welles was next on my list with his shitty animal farm and 1980 something book, thats just pure tinfoil

couldnt but i at least got nibelung because of nazism along with tristan and isolde

its really fun to fuck with normies

>thinking he is going to get Animal farm banned

Every english class in america uses that book but go ahead and try, that would be cute.

If you want a good lovecraft thread OP, don't post it in Cred Forums.

You're just asking for trouble since a surprising amount of offsiters can't get past the fact that he held racist beliefs.

Pretty much.

Anyone else read this yet.
Feels like most of you haven't.

>thinking he is going to get Animal farm banned
I got both the bible torah and quran banned at the same time im sure animal farm would be easy mode

>and he definitively outed himself as a liar.

Thank you.

>I don't have the Bayeux tapestry nyaruko

FUCK, THAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE. WHEN DID I LOSE IT?

My nigga.

I knew 'of' Lovecraft before and read a few of his things, but I got that shit years ago and I read every fucking page.

>mfw everyone at the college or at home thought I was reading the bible.

>he doesnt know how to ban something just by spamming the establishment with multiple emails from groups since most of them are afraid of having online controversies now
I mean come on user its 2016 and you still dont know how to troll with the times

Jews and Irish were considered legally white otherwise they wouldn't have gotten citizenship

Everyone hated them because they were foreign fucking cunts who weren't "properly white" in the same sense you probably call people "white trash"

I never read that shit book when i was school m8, i graduated uni 2 years ago.
Not even local high schools will all read the same books.
Don't make fucking retarded comments like that ever again you fucking piece of shit.

>spamming the establishment with multiple emails
OH FUCK YOU I KNOW WHAT LIBRARY YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT NOW
FUCK YOU JUST FUCK YOU

>Poe's wife was obsessed with him to the point of claiming that a female friend of his must have poisoned her
>but he's the creep because she was a lot younger than him

Fuck off, man-hater

I'm not that far into it but it's awesome.
I've actually felt really spooked sometimes, i didn't expect it.

Isn't narcolepsy when you have to sleep 12 hours a day?

Poe is a creep because he is fucking creepy, what are you even going on about delusionalfag.

>Reading the works of a racist man
why dont you read mein kampf while youre at it

Lewd

no they tend to micro-sleep and wink off at odd times uncontrollably.

WHORE OF NYARLATOTHEP

How was he creepy?

youtube.com/watch?v=iumNiu0XE7o

Hastur is objectively better.

>liking traps with balls
faggot, its gay when balls are involved

>letting someone else's views affect you through text
>implying his works are racist in nature
>being so feeble as to be unable to take in literature objectively from with an open mind and expand your knowledge

>go to wikipedia's time squad page
>find this

"Officer Beauregard "Buck" Tuddrussel (voiced by Rob Paulsen): A time cop, who possesses all the physical requirements for his job and none the intellectual. Whenever there's someone who needs a beating up (and even when they don't), he's the best person to get assigned for such a task. Impulsiveness, aggressiveness and air-headedness are traits which define Tuddrussel quite nicely. Not much of his backstory is known, aside from his Southern heritage and a short-lived marriage to fellow time cop Sheila Sternwell. He and Larry have a typical Vitriolic Best Buds relationship (which can legitimately be read and proven as Belligerent Sexual Tension by some viewers), and he is much like an irresponsible father to Otto."

What the fucking hell is this?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Squad

>not wanting to dick the yellow king
I don't even know you.

Poe was known for being a charming and jovial guy. It was after his wife died that be became a little reserved.

>wanting to dick a trap with balls
I have never encountered such faggotry in all my 3578 years of existence

Poe made Goethe seems like a happy guy. How is that not creepy? Half of his literature is just masturbatory death spirals in cogent language.

He literally explained his fucking method though, it wasn't just the rambling edge-poetry of a madman/emokid

Go away, Frenchman.

This trailer looks like it was ripped from a Gamecube game. That's probably what the creators originally had in mind.

And I would appreciate the elder gods being treated at least equally by this kid.

Why do people feel the need to discuss his racism everytime anything about him is brought up?

I barely know anything of him outside a few stories but even then that is hardly shocking given the time.

This is why you shouldn't get TvTropes writers to write Wikipedia articles.

Why do you think I said 'cogent'

You can understand the why, doesn't stop it from being creepy. Same reason I don't want a dude staring at me in my window while he slowly cuts himself.

>They didn't even make her look Egyptian
So when are we dropping that third nuke?

This movie...is so fucking terrible so far. I really wanted it to be good, the comic book was so interesting

Tumblrina's can't get over the fact someone who was racist became so cherished and well known, everyone knows Lovecraft (granted only a fraction of those people have actual read anything he wrote, even less have read anything other than The Call of Cthulhu)

>You folks are all talking about Lovecraft's life and views but no one's talking about this mediocre movie.

Yeah because Lovecraft himself is way more interesting than some shitty straight to video stuff based on his works.

Honestly I'm not upset about it at all in fact I find it really interesting seeing things from his perspective back then. That goes for just about anyone who has radically different views from me in general, love hearing what the other side of the fence is like.

The Secret World game is basically a love letter to Lovecraft. Half of his ideas are imprinted into the fabric of the world it built.

his racism, or more broadly, the themes of racial purity that pervaded his childhood and adult life, deeply informed his stories. a lot of his 'horror' came from the nigh blasphemous question of 'what if we white upper class chaps aren't the best the earth has to offer after all?'
which is where you get stories about inbred rednecks and foreign savages that regularly commune with, interact with, and even are directly descended from their gods, which grants them great and terrible power. Meanwhile, upper class twit of the year finds out he's descended from an albino ape, or a bunch of rat mongering cannibals, or a body hopping satanist, or gross fish men who only obtained wealth because it was given to them as a glorified allowance from a bigger fish.

also it's frankly hilarious those anecdotes about how he'd keep forgetting his wife was jewish while making antisemitic comments

that sounds hilarious

he would have writen something based on it for sure.

Agreed.
/tg/ is pretty much the place to go, and even then you'll still have the shitposting to a lesser degree

Nigger Man aside, is The Rats in the Walls the quintessential Lovecraft story?

It was the only one that actually managed to horrify me, so I'll say yes. To a degree Besides that, it's the best of that vein of stories (real world investigation of some horrific past of the MC's lineage, MC goes bit barmy). Charles Dextrer Ward is another contender, though it's a slightly different kind of story. It's also an example of some of Lovecraft's best writing and plotting. "Do not call up that which you cannot put down" is probably the best line he ever wrote. It's interesting that he didn't seem to think much of it. I can't recall exactly, but I remember being struck by the realization, after reading some opinions on his works and his own opinions of them, that Lovecraft was one of those author's who didn't see the value in his best works and preferred his lesser efforts.

But there are stories in other veins. Much more expansive real world stories, like your Cthulhus and so forth. Those dream works that culminate in Dream Quest of Kadath, which is essentially a fantasy adventure story that's also a crossover of a good portion of his works. That's not even going into his few comedic stories.

Rats in the Walls is certainly a must read, though.

I think Whisperer in Darkness was his best story. It gave me a powerful sense of dread.

>this is the first animated version of Lovecraft's works.

youtube.com/watch?v=UHxTIVj1suQ

Or Colour Out of Space.

>Alan Moore: Did you see Neonomicon?
>Not yet.
>Alan Moore: Neonomicon is really fucking horrible

Alan Moore really gives me whiplash a lot more than most authors. The weird modern day LXG was pretty dumb, but his actual interviews seem to counterbalance the stupid nostalgia in that story. Neonomicon is pretty obviously unresearched pop culture regurgitation, but Providence was equally obviously crafted with love and serious consideration of Lovecraft's works and tone while being a more modern spin on the settings.

Just back and forth with this guy.

I experienced it once in my teens, and for a while (given the short height of the figure), I thought I'd been abducted by aliens as a result. Didn't help that I lived in the middle of nowhere.

Is this Pilgrim's Progress?

What is it? Google and archives are giving me nothing.

>Howard Lovecraft and the Frozen Kingdom is a 2016 animated film based on the graphic novel of the same name
whoa

Hitler wanted to deport the jews and some were even freed from the camps. There were over a million camp survivors who'd been in them for years.

The vast majority of fatalities came as a result of starvation and typhus, largely the result of supply lines being bombed. Anne Frank herself lived healthily in camps for over a year until that happened to her's.

There's also a manga currently serialized.

It wasn't disdain but rather fear. He never held contempt for anyone and supported the extension of rights to all people he just didn't want to have to be around other races.

>The man was a huge cunt, personally.
I've never heard anything about him being so much as rude to anyone.
Yes he had some crazy beliefs but he was most definitely mentally ill and he never wished ill will to anyone.
Also I'm going to blow your mind here, someone can have racist tendencies and still be a good person.

>Could not find your image on any of the selected services.

Help please.

>hated
There is that word again.
He didn't "hate" anyone he was afraid of other races and cultures mainly because of his upbringing but he didn't want anyone to be hurt or even to be oppressed he just didn't want them near him if he could avoid it.

There are already solid Lovecraft movies; the HPL Historical Society put out two of them, each in the style of the period that story was written. Call of Cthulhu is a 10/10 silent movie, and Whisperer in Darkness is a nearly as good b&w talkie.

>in the same sense you probably call people "white trash"
Fun Fact! Hillbillies and most of the original white trash were predominately irish and scotish immigrants that settled in the Appalachians because nobody wanted them anywhere else.
Another fun fact!
During slavery one of the few jobs that those poor ScotsIrish people could get was acting as field hands/plantation shift managers and as a result were the white people that had the most interaction with black slaves. as a result of this there was a lot of cultural exchange between the two such as accent/manner of speech/food/naming conventions/etc which still resonates in the black american community today which is why names irish names like tyrone are so common as to be stereotypical for blacks.

Please leave Lovecraft alone.

I think that Thomas Sowell wrote a whole piece about how modern ghetto culture isn't really black culture since it was lifted wholesale from the Scotch-Irish.

Jesus Christ. It's been several years since I saw those fuckers and I'm still haunted. I can't imagine daily encounters.

Yup I think it was called "black hillbilllies" or something to that affect.

It's called "Black Rednecks and White Liberals".
A lot of it addresses how the treatment of ghetto culture as special or unique to blacks is condescending as well as false.

Nobody is even talking about the movie anymore

>DA GAS CHAMBERS WEREN'T REEL!!!1!!!
>LE HOLOCAUST MYTH

okay fritz

First Japan makes Elder Gods into moe anime girls. Now this.

On the one hand, more and more people become aware of it, on the other hand it gets watered down to appeal to the Lowest Common Denominator. I'm conflicted.

Got this book on my computer. But I'm hesitant to read it since I'm worried I got tricked by Cred Forums bait