What are some shows that built the foundation for modern cartoons and changed the industry forever?

What are some shows that built the foundation for modern cartoons and changed the industry forever?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cLD-LNBlC6w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Misadventures of Flapjack. One look at the production staff and you'll see that I'm right.

This guy

I'd say more than half of all modern cartoons can be tracked back to Flapjack and Chowder. As the people from this show made other shows, and people went on from those to make others.

Truth
These two shows ushered in the entire modern CalArts era while Dexter's Lab and PPG were still on TV

I really loved flapjack and chowder. the only modern cartoon that can keep up with them is gumball RIP

You're talking about shows that groom people who would later make great things but they didn't shaped the industry at all nor were they popular. Chowder is a particularly bad example because that show had former Spongebob Alumni working on it. In terms of actually kickstarting the animation boom I think Phineas and Ferb is a better example

I'll take you one step back.
youtube.com/watch?v=cLD-LNBlC6w

Lotta famous folks got their start here and I think it lead to that sweet time at CN in the late 90s.

I think we know which show we're all thinking about...
*drops mic*

Space Ghost Coast to Coast, while it might not be very popular, it was the very first series that started Cartoon Network.

Please someone explain to me the appeal of Space Ghost CTC to me? I watched 5 episodes and I just don't get it. everything they say seems improved but it's not even remotely funny. Just really dry humor yet it's considered great.

also flapjack was a shit show.

Space Ghost is hit and miss. Its appeal is largely nostalgic and the absurdity of the concept and situations as a whole so it might not catch on to younger viewers just getting into it.

Steven universe

When Space Ghost first came on, there was nothing else like it on TV

Since then stuff like ATHF and other Adult Swim shows took cues from it, and now it doesnt seem so special anymore.

As far as modern cartoons go, it's a toss up between Adventure Time and Phineas and Ferb.

Before them, a lot of influence came from trying to capture the spark that Spongebob hit.

>no mention of the legendary John Kricfalusi
So, this is neo-Cred Forums, huh?

Phineas and Ferb got Disney interested in TV animation again after a decade live action crap without it we would have never gotten Gravity Falls and they wouldn't have stole all of CN's older animators that got kicked out during their CN Real days.

Adventure Time ushered in a new ear of creator driven shows and the first viral sensation to break it out into television without it Rick and Morty would probably still be Doc and Marthi and CN would have probably not be called that anymore if Thurop's comments about their "rebranding" during the CN Real days are true.

Rocko.

The historical importance of Space Ghost can't be overstated.

Cartoon Network? At the time it was just a spot for Ted Turner to dump the Hanna Barbera cartoon library he acquired in some merger or another. It was never intended to be anything more than a rerun channel.

The programmers at CN get bored, and with no budget or oversight, cobble together Space Ghost Coast to Coast with bits and pieces they had. And it was a hit. It's success directly led to Cartoon Network creating more original programming.

Without SGC2C, Adventure Time, Dexter's Lab, Steven Universe, and the Powerpuff Girls wouldn't even exist.

>It's success directly led to Cartoon Network creating more original programming.
Cartoon Network already had original works before Space Ghost though and they were greenlighting more with the World Premiere Toons segment. What Space Ghost did was led to the creation of more programming block and more communication with its viewership leading to their own following and finding a core audience outside HB and WB reruns which it was originally just was. It was definitely an important series for CN given that it set the benchmark to how the network would function without the classics for better or worse but there was always an interest in original programming even before it.

>Cartoon Network already had original works before Space Ghost though

Shows like SWAT Kats and 2 Stupid Dogs were simultaneously broadcast on TBS and Cartoon Network. Also, the World Premiere Toons (later What a Cartoon!) segment didn't air until February 1995, nearly a full year after SGC2C launched.

Define "modern", gramps.

>what is the Mighty Bee
>what is Bunnicula
Kricfalusi inspired animated shows.

Get back to finishing your cartoon John. We are busy here.

>Shows like SWAT Kats and 2 Stupid Dogs were simultaneously broadcast on TBS and Cartoon Network.
They were still Cartoon Network original shows (they aired on the network first anyways) and animated by Hanna Barbera studios and they auctioned submissions for new cartoon shorts two years before Space Ghost became a concept (The Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Yucky Duck, and Dexter's Lab all had sneak peaks on the 6th (?) episode of Space Ghost with PPG being the one to premiere its full short on the show). Not downplaying SGC2C significance to the network but Cartoon Network always had plans for original programming and the success of Nicktoons drove them to further pursue talent for their own lineup while Space Ghost was this weird little thing they had on the side that wasn't competing with anything.

>Yucky Duck
Shit man I forgot all about that show.
I still recall being so excited back in the day when NEW shows were coming out for the first time in forever. It was awesome.