10 years ago today this episode aired

10 years ago today this episode aired.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ybRu61t2k
youtube.com/watch?v=aMcf7Bn6dmY
m.youtube.com/watch?v=f9spft2_Xh4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I didnt watch through this show until last week.

I cried here.

>Mako's been dead for over a decade
And I still hear his voice

Hopefully this show will have taught it's fan-base how to age gracefully.

Happy birthday, my son.

Leaves from the tree
Falling so slow

Damn me too.
Sometimes I even do an impression of him.

>ATAB is old enough to qualify as nostalgic
Fucking hell, I feel old.

>Aang's VA is in his 20's now

I still dont know why they didn't save this segment for last

The final segment was plot.

Like fragile, tiny shells
Drifting in the foam

where does the time go, Cred Forums?

>children that were six when this episode aired are halfway through high school
goddamn

time is a door that gradually closes itself on you, and just for a small fraction of half a second, before that one last small shimmer of light peeking through the door frame is finally gone forever, you yell out stop without you even noticing, and, on the verge of tears, you suddenly find yourself not wanting to leave light.

it's all darkness from thereon.

And it still hits as hard as ever.

It's "from the vine" you dumbass

So if you made a list of the top 5 feelsiest moments from Avatar, how would you rank it? Leaves from the vine and Iroh forgiving Zuko still destroy me, so those have to be at the top.

God, I miss ATLA. We need more story centric cartoons. It's a shame the medium is usually only used for kids comedies instead of having multiple genres.

Nostalgia is relative. I feel nostalgic about Splatoon despite it coming out a year ago. I feel nostalgia about songs I first heard in 2013 already as well.

No one's posted it yet?

Gayyy

They look terrible

they are at funeral/memorial

I mean the art

He didn't die tho

his body did

His body did.

Ah right, forgot he left it behind.

While not a feel, I did find it heartwarming when Iroh while imprisoned told the Guard to take a day off.

An Iroh feel, however, happened early, during the season one; two part finale when he told Zuko "I see you as my own son."

Now, a double heartwarming and feel moment: season three finale, after Azula shoot Aang, Iroh came to save him and immediately after Katara flew off with Aang on Appa, Iroh surrendered himself to Azula and Dai Li. With Zuko's betrayal too was the cherry on top.

A feel indirectly related to Iroh: Zuko in season three believe Iroh won't forgive him and Toph reassure Zuko Iroh will because when she meet him, all he could talk about was how pride and wonderful he felt of Zuko.

You're telling me they didn't? Damn, always thought they did.
What segment was last? Aang's zoo adventure?

5. Zuko crying to his dad in the Agni Kai flashback
4. Everything about Appa's Lost Days
3. Air kids finding Korra in book 4
2. Leaves from the Vine
1. Iroh and Zuko's reunion in the book 3 finale

It was Momo's tale since it ends with him finding an Appa footprint in Ba Sing Se.

100 years ago one of the bloodiest and pointless wars in history was cutting millions of young lives short.

>Korra
>feels

Do your top 5 then

One of these things is not like the others.
One of these things just doesn't belong.

gnarly.

F

replace 3 with zuko vs azula and we're golden

Yeah, Appa's Lost Days wasn't that sad.

Yeah, the Appa one is an episode rather than an individual moment.

It was a god tier fight with fantastic music but it never got to feels tier because instead of giving a proper resolution to the siblings' relationship for better or worse we got Katara being the one to finish Azula.

>No one did a Vocaroo of this

I remember he died right after comic con.
The fandom was in full hype mode after what was previewed at the con, then this happened and completely sucked out everyone's energy.

But we saw Azula for the victim she was.

A very underrated moment is in The Guru where Aang is opening one of his chakras by confronting his grief and sees all his people at peace in the clouds, forming an arrow as they vanish before his eyes. His voice even cracks when he asks for a drink afterwards.
Granted, it is short and is immediately followed by a happy moment but it was still a very poignant scene.

In a terribly rushed arc that had her go from normal to cuckoo for cocoa puffs in 4 episodes.

>had her go from normal
Azula was never 'normal'.
She lit dolls on fire as a kid, sadistically smiled as her brother got a face tattoo from their dad ( not to mention gleefully taunting him about how their dad was literally going to kill him), and flipped the fuck out during practice warmup when her hair got frizzled.
Bitch had issues from the beginning and was teetering on the edge throughout her life. All she needed was a little push.

Fuck off Scrapper.

I think you may actually just be retarded.

God, I always forget about Appa's Lost Days and it was a 10/10 episode.
I can't believe they managed to tell such a compelling and important piece of the narrative, purely through the animal sidekick. That show was amazing.

Not him, but I don't think you know how nostalgia works.

>there will never be a heartbreaking show like A:TLA ever again

Not gonna lie, I started drinking tea because of Iroh.

>Rufftoon will never make more Iroh comics.

It hurts.

I wish people would take a note from Japan and realize that animation shouldn't only be comedy. There's no reason that the medium should be so limited. I can go to the kids section of the library and find mystery books, horror books, slice of life books, romance books... Cartoons however are typically comedies or action based. Where's my noir or war cartoons? Never mind the issue of cartoons being exclusive to the thirteen and under audience.

Few western cartoons draw me in like ATLA, and I've watched a lot of cartoons from the 1920s to 2010s. We need more story driven stuff instead of episodic stuff. That's part of the appeal of works like SU and DC cartoons.

2010-12 had a whole load of cartoons that attempted what ATLA achieved but they were all killed before being able to tell their stories.
Motorcity, Tron: Uprising, Young Justice, SymBionic Titan, Green Lantern. Ironically, the only one that survived was Korra.

Korra during that time was the only one to draw in hugeeee numbers, exception is probably Young Justice. I loved GL:TAS and Tron too but the numbers weren't amazing which sucks.

Korra certainly did in its first season which made Nick renew it for three more seasons right away.

Of course ratings went all to shit by the time book 2 came out nearly a year and a half after the first season

youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ybRu61t2k

How did he voice the episode made in his memory?

Because animation is a long, arduous and soulbreaking process.

did he know he was going to die?

This would be amazing. 500 million dollar budget, Stories before AtLA.

He had a protege, who trained under him to eventually voice Iroh.

git gud
youtube.com/watch?v=aMcf7Bn6dmY

Guess that's why they half euthanized it by Book 4. Shame about several of those shows user listed though, I miss the comfy threads.

I don't think so

Take my hand and come with me to the world of Chinese cartoons.

>be me
>be 8 years old
>turn the TV on and wait for the newest episode of ATLA
>watch this episode
>feel bad for Iroh
>still be myself
>rewatch ATLA 8 years later
>OMG, teh nostalgia
>catch up to this episode
>end up crying tears of manlines
>rewatch the entire series several times in a row to experience more feels
>"OMG, ATLA IS SUCH A MASTERPIECE"
>get addicted to shitty anime with forced dramas (like Clannad, Anohana, 5cm/s etc.)
>be me yet once again
>rewatch ATLA for the 9th time
>realize it's actually trash

Agreed. I shredded a tear there

Nice blog, fag.

5. Katara confronting her dad about him leaving
4. Aang finding out from the sandbenders that they sold appa
3. Zuko at the beach
2. The final fight scene with toph and sokka
Power gap

1. Iroh forgiving zuko

>Zuko at the beach
Mai and Ty Lee crying about their first world problems always ruins that scene for me

Well the comedy relief from azula ruined it for me

>>be me
>>be 8 years old
no doubt lol

>Appa's Lost Days
>The Last Agni Kai
>Sokka and Toph accepting their own mortality
>Leaves from the Vine
>Iroh hugging Zuko in the finale

Is the same guy that replaced mako for iroh going to replace him for Aku?

2006 was the last good year

Last year before the economy started crashing
Last year of the iPod being a huge status symbol (replaced by the iPhone in 2007)
Last year when social media was relatively obscure
Last year of the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox generation
Last year of late 90s/early 00s shows like That '70s Show, Charmed, Inuyasha, Yu yu hakusho, Malcolm in the Middle, The West Wing, Alias, Will & Grace, Everwood, Bernie Mac Show, etc.
Last year of Cartoon Network's City era

2007 is when everything went to shit

Oh fuck off, 2006 was shit just like every other year.

No, 1999-2006 was the comfiest era

After that, it got bad

Just because those were the years before your life went to shit it doesn't mean that they were much different from now.

They were different from now. Social media didn't dominate our lives then.

When Iroh appeared in Korra I teared up and said aloud "I missed you SO MUCH" before I caught myself

Katara had better feet than Toph

That's bullshit.

Can you fuck off? You swear you know child psychology but kids are little shits so all that stuff is perfectly normal.

5 (least) Series final moment, I was too awestruck to feel much
4 yue sacrificing herself, I always cried at this part as a kid
3 during "appas lost days" when Appa remembers meeting aang and it cuts ot aang in his sleep saying "we'll always be together"
2 Leaves from the vine
1 When Iroh forgives Zuko for everything at the series finale, as a Christian, this hit so hard as a prodigal son moment.

Brought my waifu in this episode

And thats why the Last episodes of Season 2 were the best hands down.

Zuko should have gone back to her instead of becoming a cuck

He recorded it months before he died, dude. It takes months for an episode to go from voice recording to actually airing on television. They added the "in memory of" late in the production of the episode.

Did they still not get back together? No wonder I don't want to read the comics. In any case I think Jin perfectly represented Iroh's vision of life for Zuko in Ba sing Se, in her personality she's the opposite of Mai, and life in Ba Sing Se resembles the opposite of his duty as prince as well. Its simple, not particularly noble, but if you accept it, you will be happy.

Plus she had some big ass titties.

Azula makes all the scenes better.

>The way she bends her head.

My god Azula is truly a goddess

You're godamned right.
You know I have a theory abotu Jin, In the Making of avatar documentary in Brian's office he has a Samurai Champloo poster, in the show Fuu, the female character looks a lot like Jin, and in the Show one of the main male characters is named Jin.

>the only one that survived was Korra

why? why only that piece of shit survived?

>Did they still not get back together? No wonder I don't want to read the comics.
To be fair, Smoke and Shadow is by far the worst comic book trilogy, the other ones go from decent to very good.

azula is stronger than zuko right? i mean, by the end of the serie you could believe both of them are a equal match, but it seems she´s just stronger in general

They were shown as equal in Southern Raiders, Zuko was beating her in the finale, Zuko effortlessly kicked her ass repeatedly in The Search and in Smoke and Shadow Azula got asspulled the ability to redirect lightning and went back to beating Zuko's jobber ass.

I'm a diehard Zukofag but: The Rift >>>>>> The Promise > The Search >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Smoke and Shadow

The Promise suffers a bit from being "the Avatar reunion show" and the plot is sort of rushed in part 3 but it's nice seeing the old characters again and Ozai's conversation with Zuko is fantastic and gives Ozai more depth than the show ever did.

I would rank The Search above The Promise if it weren't for the retarded way that the letter subplot happens.

The Rift is fantastic all the way through, it actually manages to follow up on spirit-human relationships and the new post-war world, show Yangchen's backstory, Toph's relationship with her father, have the best action scenes in the comics and even end the story in a good way where they actually choose industrial progress over hippie faggotry.

Smoke and Shadow is a complete clusterfuck where for some retarded reason Mai's new bf ends up having more screentime than even Aang, Zuko goes back to being an useless loser that doesn't know what the fuck to do and the whole anti-Zuko rebellion gets turned into Azula just trying to make Zuko hardcore. The only good parts are Kiyi and Zuko's relationship and pretending that Azula is trying to get Zuko to fuck her.

North and South looks pretty good so far but the comics tend to fuck up in the third parts.

I had assumed this segment was done just to commemorate mako.

so if the fire nation is based on japan will modern fire nation be like modern japan

>Brought my waifu
Bought, user. Iroh bought your waifu in this episode.

Nice, it's party hat time!

>that fucking Cred Forums party hat

Perfect

You forgot
>The Big Bang Theory premiered in '07

This whole episode made me feel

Literally who?

Mako is the voice actor that voiced Iroh. He died before the end of season 3 if I recall correctly.

>Can you fuck off? You swear you know child psychology but kids are little shits so all that stuff is perfectly normal.

>I was a little shit who tortured animals so every kid is a little shit
Nice projecting Scrapper

The only thing I didn't like about The Rift was that Toph didn't apologize to her parents.

Toph arguably has the least justifiable parent issues in the entire series, yet suffers no repercussions and it's made to look entirely like her parents fault.

>Iroh
Again, literally who?

China doesn't really make many cartoons. Korea makes more animated films. Even then, their tv market is apparently just cgi shows for 4 year olds.

Nah, dude, that's just because your childhood got screwed after 2007 somehow. It's hard for people to see years without rose coloured glasses unless they were over 20, preferably over 30, at the time. I remember as a kid I hated 2006 because I began middle school then and my life took a quick steep downwards. As an adult I am nostalgic for 2006 and can barely remember my traumas, but still I admit 2006 was pretty "meh". Good for video games, not so good for cartoons.

The internet was still new then. It had existed since the late 80s but still most people were only now getting access to it. I got my first computer circa 2006. Between 2006 and 2008 everyone got pcs due to Youtube and Myspace, and even then it doesn't compare to now. Some of my favorite videos from that era stilll have less than 100k views.

master splinter from the original ninja turtles movies and he was the old Asian man in conan the barbarian

m.youtube.com/watch?v=f9spft2_Xh4

r.i.p. mako

i know him as aku and iroh.