Can we have a Kubo thread? I watched it a couple weeks ago and have been checking for threads to no avail...

Can we have a Kubo thread? I watched it a couple weeks ago and have been checking for threads to no avail. I think it's one of my favorite movies in a long time, and the music was really beautiful. Discuss Kubo/LAIKA stuff

We have had several threads but so few people has seen Kubo it already lost steam here.

I'm looking forward to it, I'm just waiting until i can watch it at home. There's going to be a Blu-ray of all 4 Laika films in November

If I see someone dressed as Kubo this halloween I'm going to give them all the candy.

Seems unlikely though.

8.4 on IMDB

why did they take away grandpa's memories when the point of the movie was keeping memories close and sacred?

Sausage Party was better.

Honestly don't know what to say.
Fantastic film, both twists were a bit obvious.

I guess we can discuss if Kubo brainwashing his grandfather by destroying his memories, making him forget about everything he was, and replaced it with new memories is ethical or not.

>why did they take away grandpa's memories when the point of the movie was keeping memories close and sacred?
because he was never human before. Divine grandpa and human grandpa may as well be two different characters

Alternativly everything was a story Kubo was telling and his grandpa has Alzheimer all along.

Was taking away his memories really on purpose or was it just because before he couldn't really "see" anyway.

Because he was a nasty asshole who needed to get rekt.

Coraline was about facing childish fears and anxieties, accepting that people aren't perfect, and appreciating your family/the people in your life the way they appreciate you. This does not mean Coraline should have ended the film by giving the Other Mother a big ole hug and saying how much she appreciated her. Bitch was an evil demon witch thing and deserved to starve.

Predictions for next Laika film? The only thing we know about it is that it won't feature a child protagonist and that they're may not be kids in it at all.

It was pretty good/10, probably the best looking animation I've seen
Matthew McConaughey's character ruined it tho

So did Beetle get his memories back or was he just rolling with it?

This
They seriously needed to cut back on how many jokes that character tried to get out.

I went to see it so I could bask in the glorious stop-motion animation. I was not disappointed.

That beautiful aspect aside, it was a pretty solid kids' adventure flick.

Think about it this way: if you were once a serial killer, child rapist, or politician in your past life, but then had the opportunity to forget your past and live your life again, would you want someone to tell you that you did all those terrible things?

I disagree. Sure the quantity of jokes dragged on a bit. but in hindsight it solidifies the character as a tries too hard to be funny dad. I really think without the jokes the twist wouldn't have been believable.

Thats not what you said in the waiting room at the methadone clinic.

I just checked Wikipedia. 59mil/60mil so looks like they're going to get their money back after all

Yes. Even if i was a baby killer, i would still want to be an eternal dragon moon king

I'm interested to see how it does in Japan

I liked it, but I honestly think Cred Forums overhyped it a bit.

The characters, animation, and music were all wonderful.

The pacing felt off, the climax felt rushed, and the story felt pretty bare bones.

That was never really an issue for laika

Making a profit is not an issue, but breaking even or at least close to even is

i think in this hypothetical, you'd just be a normal baby killer, without moon powers

bump

Beetle coming back with the fish was in fact pretty funny. Also, Charlize Theron can't voice act, americans need to fucking stop using regular actors for animated films.

It was a really good movie, almost no one I know knew about it, but really good

>If I'm Beetle and you're Monkey. Why isn't he called Boy?

Beetle was great.

Good movie. The mom was hot, too.

During the battle the grandfather mocked Kubo for wanting to kill him as being an extremely human thing. Erasing his memories at least takes a different path, which is objectively better than killing him.
I figured he just
got a big flash of memory, enough to last him the rest of his life
He was always on the edge of being annoying to me, but then he'd go and do something genuinly funny.

>Fantastic film, both twists were a bit obvious.
Which is fine. It was a pretty good film all around. Twists don't always have to be mind blowing for a story to be good.

Shit really? Can't wait for that.

trust me, this is an instand Blu-ray purchase. 4K Blu-ray if at all possible, the visuals alone warrant it.

Thank God.

One of the best movies I´ve ever watched. I did have some problems with it after seeing it for the first time, but after a second viewing most, if not all of my concerns were gone. Magnificent movie.

Beetle always reminded me of a really goofy Samurai Jack.

>Skeleton boss
>I'VE GOT A BONE TO PICK WITH YOU
Wonder if Cred Forums knows

I saw it for the third time last night. It's such a beautiful movie and the way While My Guitar Gently Weeps starts playing right as it ends is perfect.

There was a group of people sitting behind me. They seemed to really like the movie and they were especially impressed by the footage of the animators working on the giant skeleton during the credits; one of them clapped when the skeleton started moving. As they were walking out, she said she was glad they saw Kubo and would've been mad if they saw Sausage Fest or whatever it was. Maybe there's hope for humanity after all. Wait, when do Trolls and Sing come out?

The plot lost steam right around the 2/3 mark but the cinematography was stunning and the soundtrack was God-tier. The characters were a bit typical which is fine since is WAS an animated film geared toward younger viewers. Being a Laika film helped by giving it mature moments ("Your village is destroyed." and "I kill you.").that gave it extra "umph" for older viewers.

Overall, I'd give it 8.5/10 but better than 90% of the any other animated films released this decade.

It only just got released where I live, I'm gonna go watch it tomorrow. Words can't describe my hype.
I just rewatched Paranorman as preparation. God fucking damn that movie amazes me every time. Everything about the ending and Aggie is a fucking gut-punch and nearly moves me to tears. It's gonna be really tough for Kubo to beat this, but then again Kubo has kung-fu and a giant skeleton apparently?
God I can't wait, Laika movies are always a treat.

Going to see it tomorrow.
Dubbed in swedish because the english dub was one weekend only...
Fuck me I guess.
Hopefully the 3d will be good atlest.

I know that feel. One of the sad facts of living in Europe. I'm dead set on seeing it this week because I know after one week they'll just get rid of all english screenings. Hell, the cinema I usually go to isn't screening it in english so I had to look for another one, and fuck it if I have to see it in a shitty dutch dub. I'll have to pay extra since they only have the 3D version, but I'd rather deal with 3D than shitty voices.

I loved the movie, and the designs were really cool. I wish it had done better. The theater I work at isn't even showing it anymore :(

When I went to see it a week or two ago, the theater was actually pretty full. Showtimes were only in the afternoon by then, though.

bump

This film wasn't what I was expecting.
If anything I think the trailers for it were very misleading. It certainly was no perky chosen one adventure comedy.

This is a film about loss. No. Not the meme, but the actual concept of losing and dealing with those who have lost a family member precious to them.
But it's also about treasuring memories and telling stories because this is our legacy as people. This is where the beauty of humanity shines.

My Nan died soon after I went to see this movie, and honestly, it could not have been a more appropriate movie to watch for me at the time.

It made me realise that though I lost my Nan she lives on in her children's memories. In my memories. Though memories do eventually fade they do live longer than most people realise they can transcend us for generations to come as history and folklore and teachings and shared morality.
That's why there is love and self-sacrifice because from the moment we are born we are working to pass on as much as we can to the next person in line because even though we may never know that person, or they may never recognise many of us still subconsciously care about how our actions will impact their fate.

When we lose the ability to reflect on life, on being open minded to the ideas and events that surround us, the ability to remember the good and bad that makes us who we are, we become blind. Arrogant. Vicious and vindictive.

Kubo has a wonderful gift to create and share stories and experiences and has tons of compassion for those around him, and is, ironically a great idol to look up to.
By the end of the film he learns to accept loss and to look forward, which is very mature of him.
He doesn't let grief consume him or drive him to revenge and violence.

I thought it was a beautiful movie. Another Laika classic.

What was wrong with her performance? I thought she wasn't bad.

I don't think I've ever seen a main character in a children's cartoon that had more taken from him than kubo.

I haven't seen Kubo yet, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Aang.

I don't think it'll ever happen but I want Laika to do a Roald Dahl book. ANY Roald Dahl book. It's never going to happen but I can dream :(

I thought it was pretty decent. Not as good as Paranorman, better than Caroline and Boxtrolls. Great animation as always but I felt that it tried to ride on the coattails of its reference to classical mythology rather than making its own thing.

To use an example: The Book of Life borrowed heavily from Mexican mythology, but it did so to make its own (apparently) original story. Heck, even if the "man dies and tames the bulls of his ancestors to return to life" bit was from some old Mexican tale, the movie still did a good job of presenting the characters and letting them play off one another. In Kubo, though, it felt more like the writers didn't quite understand what they were working with. A scene like Kubo's parents getting killed felt weak because rather than a moment of reflection or mourning - which would be quite appropriate, and perhaps what a Japanese myth would at least imply - instead we are just jumped straight ahead into the final act. It's like they didn't understand the point of such an event in a myth, rather just placing it into the movie because it felt like the Japanese myth would have something like that.

Kubo lost two parents twice but gained a grandfather. That's more than an ample exchange.

His grandfather was an amoral asshole. You're not supposed to sympathize with him. In fact, a large amount of the tale probably hints that doing so is terribly destructive and possibly suicidal. Kubo's mom loved him and you could say that's what got her killed. Kubo's aunts most likely loved him as well, and did as he asked, and ended up dead as a result - he really didn't care. That's the whole point, and perhaps a moral we could take if we wanted one: that sparing sympathy for a murderous psychopath, especially after he has decided to still act like a murderous psychopath, is a fool's errand.

(cont.)

On the other hand, Kubo hardly did anything wrong. Even ignoring that he might not have even been capable of deciding what would happen, Kubo's stopping someone from killing a village full of people isn't exactly a bad action. If anything, I'd guess that Kubo wanted his grandfather to "open his eyes", to use the metaphor of the film. For his grandfather to see other people and be capable of sympathizing with them. But in order to do that, he's need to not be a god and not be an insane crazy maniac - and really, there just wasn't that much left of the guy beyond that.

I saw the movie 2 days ago and what says has been on my mind for a while.

I think there is a layer to be pulled back on this story and maybe close to it.

>Alzheimer

and maybe not just concerning his grandpa but his mother too. Her catatonic state in the beginning of the movie seemed to be a starkly realistic scene compared to the rest of the film. Kubo may have been using stories to make both their lives seem better since memories were not there to provide that 'magic'

the storytellign in this movie was absolute garbage, it felt like they were making it up as they want along. the ending appalled me

I gotta agree, I was most impressed with the change of vocal delivery for monkey

I fucking miss it ;_;

>Beetle coming back with the fish

fuckin lold. that whole scene im like, where the fuck did Beetle go. oh he went for the fuckin fish!

Movie was great, can't wait to see what Laika does next.

nice

was it good Cred Forums ?

Not super familiar with Aang's story, but was his loss before the main story began, or was it spread out over the course of Avatar?

It was great.

Well, all of his people are genocided and his culture basically erased before the series starts, but he's frozen in a block of ice during that and is actually made aware of it early in the first season. Unfortunately, they don't explore it as deeply as they could in favor of moving on to other things, but it comes up a couple times. He suffers a little more loss later, but the big thing is how everyone and everything he knew and loved is destroyed while he took a 100 year nap.

the story was solid, and of course the art/animation was gorgeous, but the pacing could have been better
It was a decent length for a movie, but if it were longer it could have done a little bit more

Kubo's loss is more personal, but you get to see everything taken from him over the course of the film. There's a bravery in doing that that only a studio that isn't afraid of going bankrupt could get away with.

I saw it twice in 3D in the US. If any movie is worth going to see in 3D, it's Kubo. Or any Laika movie, for that matter.

Bump

I have a Kubo hoody, if I put a kid in it will it be close enough?

>Erasing his memories at least takes a different path, which is objectively better than killing him.

How is it objectively better? And why should anyone give a shit about grandfather's opinion, when he's an insane evil fucker?

>I have a Kubo hoody
They have those? I've barely seen any merch for Kubo which is a shame

there's nothing to discuss, it was good, very pretty film, normies ignored it in favor of Harley Quinn and Will Smith.