Why do people trash Season 1 so much?

I recently bingewatched Steven Universe and I honestly don't understand the hate S1 gets.

Half of season 2 was filler, and not the fun kind like in S1. Obviously the plot picked up, but we didnt even get to fucking SEE Malachite other than Chille Tid. Season 1 as a journey is way more properly paced, and just makes for a better show. Nothing in S2 beats the Return/Jailbreak payoff or the sheer hype of Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem. I feel like Season 3 got its footing back, but a lot of 2 just feels...rushed to me.

The best parts of S2 to me are the Sardonyx arc and Peridot redemption stuff. I can barely remember anything else. Meanwhile all of the most iconic and memorable episodes are S1.

And finally, Season 2 simply isnt funny to me. There are filler episodes in S1 that I will just watch when I'm feelong bored for some cute fun. I can't do that with S2 because the filler is either just depressing like Sadie's Song or fucking nothing like Love Letters. I do like that the show finally adressed how absolutely hot Garnet is though There was a charm to the humor in S1 that could make me laugh, even when the joke wasn't even that funny. That just felt kind of dead in S2. Too reddit and self aware for me.

I'm not gonna judge 4 yet, but there have only been 2 good episodes.

I stopped watching after I saw the pilot so I sincerely hope S1 is the worst season.

nah, I personally think it takes about half a season to find its footing, not to mention the animation gets much better

you're an idiot

the pilot is hardly anything like the rest of the show

Season 2 is weird because, as I understand it, 2/3 were ordered as one 52-episode season the same way 1 was. It wasn't until Season 2 was in the can that it was retroactively split into a 2/3 for broadcast purposes.

So as far as production goes, season 2 broadcast seasons 2/3, which I think explains the perceived pacing issues of broadcast season 2.

I feel like Season 1 and 3 are the best.

This show needs villains and FAST

I dunno, I really love Season 1A's episodes though, they have this fun weird little charm to them.

Even though the animation and writing is a bit wonky/inconsistent, I still love them.

The "filler" episodes in 1A are definitely a lot better than the future "Filler" episodes the show would later

season one was amazing, season 2 was great. Season three is shit.

I personally find S1 to be my favourite.

Or it would be if not for the large chunk of Peridot stuff we get now

This current season is the worst. literally nothing but meaningless filler. not even good filler, just meaningless.

Season 3 was great the cost of getting rid of literally all threats

Rubies are dead, Jasper's dead, Homeworld seems to have pretty much no idea what's going on, Bismuth isn't coming back untill late S4, Steven is too powerful to be legitimately threatened by any most gem monsters anymore, and we certainly won't get any human villains. Feels bad man.

it's hardly even started dumbass
>what is Mindful Education

It's not fair to compare Season 2 to Season 1 as a whole. Season 2 was meant to be combined with Season 3 to be one big season. So really it's like,
>Season 1A (ends with Ocean Gem)
>Season 1B (ends with Jailbreak)
>Season 2A (ends with Peridemption)
>Season 2B (ends with Bubbled)

In which case I do think season 2 was better than the first half of season 1.

>nothing but filler

>Last One out of Beach City
>Mindful Education

Plus the season just began, and it also went on hiatus.

>Onion Gang is just Steven talking to himself for 11 minutes and sperging out over nothing
What a way to start a hiatus.

Did you rewatch all of Steven Universe for the seventh time, op?

Two good episodes in a pile of nothing. Reminder that Season 3 started with Super-fucking-Watermelon Island.

>Last One out of Beach City
meaningless filler that sets up an arc of meaningless filler centered around pearl still not getting over her rose obsession that she was supposed to have gotten over.

>Mindful Education
poorly thought out drivel that's only good for it's animation.

and these are the best episodes of the season? Absolute trash.

>Mindful Education
>poorly thought out drivel
It's possible you're just straight up mentally challenged.

>Super Watermeleon Island
>The Episode that brought Malachite back into the plot during the Cluster arc for no reason other than to get it over with already

They went several episodes without mentioning Malachite and randomly decide to bring her back up when we were busy with the Cluster arc.
and they handled the ending to the Cluster arc pretty poorly, anti-climatic even.

I know the Cluster will probably be brought back up again in 30-50 episodes, but christ, that was an awful way to end it

>Let's equate the fucked up shit that steven's been through recently to connie flipping a kid or something so we can dismiss all that emotional turmoil and make way for more townie shit. cause everyone loves townie shit.

Trash. Absolute Trash.

This show has gotten too depressing and/or boring.

If nothing interesting happens whenever it comes back from hiatus,I think I might just quit the show and watch all the things I missed when it ends

dude s1 was the best!

better than having that be the first episode back at the end of the hiatus

I wish they switched up the airdates for Last One out of Beach City and Onion Gang. It's not like it matters for those episodes.

How long will the filler episodes last when we get back from hiatus?

Yup, mentally challenged.

Season 1's trashed because of Steven. We didn't have any reason to believe there was going to be actual character development and changes. We thought it was going to be an episodic adventure show about these cool aliens and this whiny, asshole kid that tags along and steals the spotlight while never doing anything but dragging the team down because continuity confuses people.

I miss S1 more and more everyday.

Barring LOOBC and ME (which both are overrated in their own right), Season 4 has been offensively bad. Steven doesn't feel like himself at all. Seriously, I'm a huge fan of Onion episodes, but wtf was Onion Gang? Steven is an emotional pussy, not a situational pussy. Since when is he awkwardly stumbling around new people like this? Why is his voice so grating in this episode? Why have an episode about based Onion and waste it on his fucking friends?? Why ruin Onion's character by having him open up to Steven this early in their friendship? Why not save this stuff for later when you might even be able to make him relevant to the plot, like they did with Connie? Just trash all around.

>having to resort to name calling
proof the episodes are trash, you can't even come up with a viable defense beyond "durr well ur stupid". What a joke, just like this season.

>claiming they were equating the two
>claiming this arc is over

Wow, I have to agree, he really is mentally challenged.

depends on what you mean by filler

I expect more character development for the gems before we get back around to Homeworld, Peridot and Lapis both need to become real Crystal Gems

my bet is that the next "plot related" episode will probably be the first time we see Blue Diamond's Palanquin from Buddy's Journal, I don't see more space stuff soon

you're right that the *feeling* of a looming threat is notably missing, but the fact is that the cluster was supposed to be ready soon - YD actually sent the rubies as a parakeet(or is it) to see if the cluster was ready. Either they'd come back with Jasper, meaning the cluster had probably been stopped, come back without Jasper and say "uh, earth is gone and there's a...thing...where it used to be", or not come back at all, indicating that the earth probably blew up while they were there - which means it's time to collect that cluster!

>T-t-t-t-t-t-t-they're not done with it ;.;
Oh I'm sorry user, I wasn't aware you were from the future. What's that? you're not? well hinging your argument on evidence that you THINK will exist in the future is a bit retarded then isn't it? Also, samefagging? really.

I actually think the show already started going downhill during season 2, and season 1A is my favorite part of the show overall.

The whole point of the episode is Steven learning to acknowledge his feelings, the ending of the episode is Connie telling him it's okay to not be over them straight away. Onion gang clearly shows Steven is still struggling emotionally. It's not an opinion. If you think that Mindful education dismisses Steven's emotional turmoil, then you are flat-out wrong, and have missed the whole point of the episode.

How fucking fast is that van going that Jasper can't easily catch up?

user you misunderstand.

Season 1 isn't trash.

The entire show is trash.

>rushed
It's okay user. You can stop using that meme now. It's getting pretty dank.

Season one was actually originally only 26 episodes: but then they extended the season by another 26 a few months before the series premiered

>too powerful to be legitimately threatened by any most gem monsters anymore
Those were boring anyway. I'm actually surprised how the crew is absolutely unable to come up with monsters that are at least a little interesting.

This.

>Cluster arc
You shouldn't dignify the cluster shit-show by calling it an arc. It built up forever to be some big deal and actually was just trivially resolved by talking to the rocks.

The drill parasites were cool.

Because its before all the queer shit was shoved in.

Not trying to hijack or derail the thread, but are we in a hiatus right now?

- The last two episodes I'd expected to be scheduled, past Onion Gang, don't seem to be anywhere
- There's no /sug/ right now and hasn't been for a while
- My Google-fu has failed me in finding out why.

This show is basically about a kid raised by his three (four) lesbian moms yes?

No, it about Steven dealing with his lesbian moms' issues left by his real mom.

This picture is an eyesore of color.

Because the show had no over arching plot going on. All we were doing was gradually learning about Gem life, history, mechanics, and some Beach City stuff thrown in. But now that we have actual contact with Homeworld, we don't give a shit about Earth or Beach City and just want answers about Gems, especially since after three seasons, the "sprinkle" technique of giving us answers goes on to be grating.

Before the townie episodes was just the show, now the townie episodes feel like it's there to pad out seasons.

This, I love Onion and was actually excited for the ep but it wound up fucking garbage. Lamar is a joke.