Are there any western comics with QUALITY car chase scenes?

Are there any western comics with QUALITY car chase scenes?

That's one thing that anime and manga do REALLY well, yet I've never really seen western media that gets the "car driving action sequences" quite right, or at least not at high enough level of execution that they're worth watching/reading for those scenes alone.

So does anyone have any recs?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U-4l6Jan1uo
youtube.com/watch?v=Zz8-fdw0NUE
youtube.com/watch?v=ulQtpht27PA
youtube.com/watch?v=JWPw0jEIhVw
youtube.com/watch?v=BsvD806qNM8
youtube.com/watch?v=yALEzUSQtWE
youtube.com/watch?v=x98KXJs4gVI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>misuse of QUALITY
>tumblr
>rec thread
Lurk for two years before posting.

It feels like Batman should have something with the batmobile but I can't think of any.

All New Ghost Rider

literally none, i don't know any western animator that can draw and animate cars accurately

When the original artist was drawing it that was just really nice looking in general, but I don't recall off the top of my head there being all THAT many car chase scenes.

There's gotta be fucking SOMETHING. A comic or two at the very least. I can understand the lack of cartoons, since westerners STILL don't take animation seriously except as a way to make kids' movies, but you'd expect there's be some comics at least.

That's not what QUALITY means here user.

Unless you're referring to how the street lamps keep changing colors like they're stoplights.

No one fucking cares about memes, kid.

Go back to

For cartoons, this one is pretty great. The car physics here feel like an arcade game. Loose and cartoony, but still with a sense of weight and momentum. The foley for the car sound effects was great, too. Different sounds for different engines and everything.
youtube.com/watch?v=U-4l6Jan1uo

As far as comic chase scenes, Sean Murphy fucking loves cars, and is one of the best car artists around. He did some lovely chase/race scenes in Chrononauts and Tokyo Ghost.

From Chrononauts

And Tokyo Ghost.

Steven Universe has several, one even had euro beat just like Initial D!

Can't think of any comics, but the cartoon "Motorcity" has quite a few going on. As it should, since crazy-fast cars are part of what it's about. Lots of ridiculous stunts, kickass animation, and weapons involved.

Can't find any specific clips of chases, but here's a trailer that shows the cars and a small sample of the action you see.

youtube.com/watch?v=Zz8-fdw0NUE

Oh fuck. Was this show as awesome as it looks?

Never saw the cartoon before. The clip you post is OK even if it does look like it was animated in flash lol.

Yes. Yes it was.

Dystopian future Detroit literally built overtop the older, decrepit Detroit, the man who runs it being voiced by none other than Mark Hamill himself. Well-rounded characters that actually get (and keep!) their character development going. Alas, Disney fucked it over and let it rot away, not renewing it for another season.

And we also get Dee Snider (from Twisted "We Ain't Gonna Take It Anymore" Sister) as the most fun villain I've seen in about a decade: The Duke of Detroit. I'll let this little clip of him do the talking.

youtube.com/watch?v=ulQtpht27PA

Chrononauts had nothing to do with cars/driving/racing though. Any car scenes were minimal.

This had a ton of potential, but the writing was weak and the plot was RETARDED.

18+ Board user.

To bed with you.

>all that grinding
>not fucking up the bottom of your car

He rebuilt the car with alien technology. And besides, that's an early-80s Cadillac Coupe. Full steel frame. It's probably pretty sturdy.

Yeah, I dropped it after the first issue. Not even Murphy's art could keep me on.

Chrononauts, on the other hand, was pretty damn fun.

corny but good

>posts all the Gunsmith Cats and Riding Bean as if Japan has made anything like it in 20 years

I miss it. Back during the bubble when they were so sure they were gonna take over the world economically, when good things still happened. When it wasn't a country of betas worshipping fake teenage lesbians from afar. When protagonists could be something other than "lazy but impossibly talented and smart middle/high school boy who has at least one girl who already has a crush on him, and more will follow"

>all those missing frames
I mean, it still looks nice, but it seems like it's only half finished. Also, Japan doesn't even make stuff like this anymore. All things vehicle related in animation are done with 3D models now, regardless of what country it came from. Cars mean moving backgrounds and shifting perspectives, and nobody wants to front the cash for something like that when they can just rig up a model and do some quick cel shading over it.

This is why you have dropped frames, then. Unless you're working on a hollywood budget, you couldn't do a proper car chase at this quality. I'm not the biggest anime fan at all, but even I have to admit that those scenes are impressive. Dropped frames and all.

Manga has such a long history of incredibly well drawn and paced car scenes, arguably still to this day.

Surely there has to be some western comics that at least approach that level?

I think it's funny how different, yet similar manga/anime and comics/cartoons are in some ways.

Manga tends to spend a lot of its layout on action and portraying fluent motions. Sometimes several pages will be dedicated to conveying a couple of actions with minimal dialogue, while anime is anything but. They jam a ton of stagnant scenes into a show that might have maybe 3 minutes of solid action, with everything else being slow pans with dialogue, or easy animation cycles.

Meanwhile, most western animation focuses more on constant movement and emoting, but western comics tend to favor bolder static frames in their layouts, with a lot of text.

The better question is if there are any comics or cartoons about racing and rallying.

Does Ghost Racers count?

>Are there any western comics with QUALITY car chase scenes?
Yes.

It's called Rush City. It's basically Transporter in the DCU. Slight crossover with Black Canary back when they were pushing her.

>Surely there has to be some western comics that at least approach that level?
the big difference is in distribution
it doesn't cost as much money to put out manga
because a single artist can do it, send it in, and it gets published in a thick compilation book (imagine if every image comic that came out in a week came out in one book, instead of hwoever many individual comics)

the paper quality's worse, there's less made on the whole, they're not sent as far

in america you have a whole comic instead, different artist for covers (to attract attention) and insides

we have things like 2000AD (probably closest to what japan has) and Heavy Metal but they're not huge companies because publishing this shit is expensive as hell in the west

>because a single artist can do it,
they CAN
doesn't mean they do, obviously there's often a group
but, stil, they get shit pay compared to western writers/artists (providing you're comparing them to successful or non-indie ones)

I was more looking for regular racing.

I gotchu OP

youtube.com/watch?v=JWPw0jEIhVw

Anime never was really great medium. Oh and have you read Gunsmith Cats Burst? Because if you havent dont it is shit

>No one cares about memes
>Uses meme

I don't know about animation, but for comics, that chase scene with the muscle car and the mini coopers in Matt Fraction's Hawkeye jumps into my head.

Not because it's the greatest thing ever -- it's just what I think of when I try to connect cars to cape comics in my head.

>That's one thing that anime and manga do REALLY well, yet I've never really seen western media that gets the "car driving action sequences" quite right
Like... never? You've never seen *anything* in all the media out of the west that focused on cars????

youtube.com/watch?v=BsvD806qNM8

Didn't like Bullitt. The car chase itself was cool, but it was only a few minute of an entire feature film, one that was actually pretty boring. I get that it was the first movie to have a real high action car chase in it, but other than that it was pretty meh.
As far as classic car movies go, my favorite has always been Vanishing Point.

It's an "I watched 5-10 classic anime from the 80s and 90s and have not seen anything more recent than 1998, now let me tell you all about how modern anime sucks based on third hand accounts I've read on the Internet" episode.

There are production limitations in animation, and drawing car chases is particularly demanding. 24 FPS animation is also not the only true official approved way of doing animation just because that's how Disney did it.

>Anime never was great, said the guy who has probably watched like two anime and decided he knows the entire medium.

Alex Toth's Hot Wheels.
He might have done some other comics too, I dunno.

>they get paid shit
But isnt that with every job in japan?

Actually i have been watching anime since yearly 90s thanks to my dad. Truth is manga is much better

Manga lacks animation, color, voice acting, sound effects and music.

But it is still better

No it isn't.

Initial D.

Fuck you it's not western, fucking Initial D you cuntnigger

CORDS ARE COOL AS FUCK

TELL ME MORE

>they pass the same store named "Mark's" twice
>quality

But user. Dorifto is what got me into all this shit in the first place and it got kinda shit after Season 2 or 3.

I just want another comfy racing show or comic but maybe with professionals.

It got pretty shit after Stage 3.

They just took it way too seriously and autismal after the whole Projecto D shit.

The stupid slice of life shit got lost and the opponents weren't all that memorable anymore. Nevermind the teleporting cars.

But can't have everything I suppose.

But I assume that means you dont have another show to suggest?

This shit actually looks pretty cool.

I mean LOOK AT THIS ART!

>Also, Japan doesn't even make stuff like this anymore. All things vehicle related in animation are done with 3D models now
Incorrect

What about Redline?

I guess that's Lupin, but which one?

can anyone remind me of that car racing show that came on some kids channel quite some time ago.

All I remember is every episode they'd race in some new area. Also some evil dudes also race and try to win or stop them from winning, blah blah. Evil dudes were green I think.

Near the opening every episode it'd show a sign of the route 66, that is the most I remember from that show. they'd all race into some teleporter and the show starts.

Its honestly been so long. If anyone could remind me I'd love you fova.

Wolverine/Deathblow #1, you weeb.

5th series (or related movie) judging by the backgrounds

Thanks.

Where do i start with that show? I remember a few 70s-80s seasons and then some 2000s stuff after a break?

It really doesnt matter Lupin is mostly episodic but i guess go with original from 71.

This actually looks cool.

Solid illustration work and well drawn action.

youtube.com/watch?v=yALEzUSQtWE

This show was fucking awesome. Too bad about the new comic.

It's the "Jigen's Gravestone" movie, which is a continuation from the moody "The Woman Named Fujiko Mine" series from 2012 (there'll be another movie about Goemon next year).

He's wearing a blue jacket but it's unrelated to the new show from last year that was set in Italy. Basically they chose an odd point to give Lupin a blue jacket.
>1st series: green jacket
>2nd series: red jacket
>3rd series: pink jacket (because 80s)
>4th series: blue jacket

In the Fujiko show he had a green jacket but then in the Jigen movie had had a blue jacket.

>that chase scene with the muscle car and the mini coopers in Matt Fraction's Hawkeye

nigga straight up ripped that off of alex toth

2nd series.
Sub or dub is fine, but dub is a lot of fun.

Then the 3rd series and movies.

Mine Fujiko series if you are somewhere that ecchi is acceptable to watch.

prolly remembering it wrong but

Hot Wheels AcceleRacers: Ignition

its highway 35 btw not route 66.

great show btw, but quite dated by today standards.
youtube.com/watch?v=x98KXJs4gVI

Manga has writing and art that aren't garbage.

Car Warriors didn't have much focus on chase scenes, but it did have a ton of Death Race 2000 style car combat and was just a general clusterfuck of over-the-top awesome crazy shit.

>Redline

pretty much the most stylish and best thing ever

Adam Warren did an unpublished pitch for a Rush City spin-off that DC ended up rejecting for whatever reason.

Why is this stuff so popular in Japan?

What stuff? Cars...?

The automobile and electronics industries are what revitalised Japan after they got rekt in World War II to become the 1st World powerhouse they are today. They probably have a sense of pride in their cars.

And they kinda invented drifting with is pretty cool

That looks pretty neat.

Why not? Cars are cool. That said it's not like the west doesn't have a lot of car culture either, just not in comics and cartoons it seems.

Misfile.
aka Initial D with transgender magical transformation and angel-demon war.
Despite the bad art and wtf pitch, it's surprisingly good and reasonably deep.

www.misfile.com

>transgender magical transformation and angel-demon war
Why?

Attention.

>Gunsmith Cats Burst? Because if you havent dont it is shit
Gunsmith Cats went to shit halfway through the original run when Sonoda started jerking it to his femdom mindbreak fetish

Lots of anime lack animation, anime music is by and large shit and I don't know japanese so voice acting is basically irrelevant to me

Yeah, but why though? Initial D doesn't exactly fit into the stereotype for this kind of readerbase.

>recommending skipping first series
>posting first series

Scoop scanlan in action comics #1

>recomending beach city drift
>for any reason
No quality car chase is worth watching that piece of shit episode.

what in the actual fuck

To be fair it's three people adapting to new lives (A boy transformed into a girl, a girl that lost two years of her life, and the angel that made the clerical error resulting in that mess and was banished to earth as a result), and the racing part is used as a link between his former life and his new one.
It's not just rallyes with a magical frosting, even if the races are a big part of the whole.

It's Markdonalds, there's one on every corner.

Well I got that from how far I skimmed it. But the art and premise are offputting bigtime over just reading Overrev or someshit for animu behaviour, boobs and cars.

That story really does not get the recognition it deserves.

I think that was fine in original but then Burst came and jesus christ that ending

>anime music is by and large shit
Are you talking about openings and endings or whole soundtrack? I do agree there is alot anime soundtracks with are shit but there is alot good ones too

Truly the artists' artist
We need this reprint.

Both your opinions are bad and wrong.

Mostly OPs and EDs. I don't really pay attention to most in episode music unless it's really bad (or rarely, really good) since it's often made as background noise.

Obviously there is some great music in anime but I dislike most of what I've heard so it's hard to consider it a universal positive for the medium.

Misfile is old as fuck for a webcomic and predates the more recent trend of sexuality/gender politicking on the internet.

It was just a weird webcomic like a million others at the time. And, as far as I can remember, transgender is the wrong word for it. The guy got mistakenly turned into a girl due to a clerical error in heaven and was very put out by it. The only reason they gave up on turning back, last I heard, was because it would have meant their new girlfriend dying (And maybe not being into him/her because she was a lesbian?)