"DOCTOR STRANGE" INFORMATION ROUND-UP

From the set reports.

>Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) is a brilliant, but arrogant neurosurgeon whose hands are severely injured in a car accident, ruining his career. After squandering his fortune in pursuit of a conventional cure, he learns of the Kamar-Taj, a secluded monastery in Nepal where miraculous recoveries are said to take place. He journeys there, only to learn that it houses a secret society of sorcerers that protect Earth from extradimensional threats, and is offered the chance to join them.

>The Ancient One (Tilda Swinton) is the leader of the Kamar-Taj and the last of a long lineage of Sorcerers Supreme, who must lead in the battle against the otherwordly forces. She accepts Strange as his apprentice.

>Karl Mordo (Chiwetel Ejiofor) is the Ancient One's former apprentice and right-hand man. Mordo is the first to see potential in Strange and becomes a mentor for him as he learns more about the mystic arts.

>Wong (Benedict Wong) is one of the oldest mystics in Kamar-Taj and the guardian of its library. He is skeptical of Strange's worth at first, but is ultimately convinced that Strange is a worthy warrior.

>Christine Palmer (Rachel McAdams) is Strange's old friend, fellow doctor and potential love interest with whom he reunites once he returns to New York City and sets up a base of operations in the Sanctum Sanctorum, a penthouse office in Greenwich Village.

>Kaecilius (Mads Mikkelsen) is a former member of the Kamar-Taj who has broken off into his own sect alongside his followers, the Zealots. Kaecilius has come into contact with a powerful entity that resides in the Dark Dimension and learned that there are greater powers that the Ancient One refuses to harness, as it could lead to the destruction of the world. He then vows to master these powers himself and unveil the secrets of the Multiverse at any cost necessary.

>Kaecilius has come into contact with a powerful entity that resides in the Dark Dimension

agreed

THREADLY REMINDER

CUMBERBATCH = ANGLO TRASH

NE MUTLU TÜRKÜM DiYENE

don't you have armenians to kill mehmet

>The Zealots
Confirmed for redpilled capekino.

Will there be a Martha scene like the comics?

>Kevin Feige says that Strange and Tony Stark have similar origins and that, like Stark, Strange's childhood shaped his arrogant personality, but unlike Stark, who found a better outlet for his creativity but retained his carefree sarcastic personality, Strange's life completely unravels and he emerges from the ordeal a changed man.

>Scott Derrickson says Strange is an inherently lonely character, but is not without a sense of humor and wonder at what he's experiencing.

>Benedict Cumberbatch was always their main choice for the role, but he initially declined due to scheduling conflicts, and there were discussions with Joaquin Phoenix, Ryan Gosling and Jared Leto before it was decided they'd delay shooting to accomodate Benedict Cumberbatch's schedule.

>Derrickson wanted the movie to be rooted in real magic, and although there are brief rationalizations between magic and science, the mysticism retains an air of mystery, so much that a prologue set at CERN and explaining the concept of alternate dimensions through a scientific standpoint was deleted from the movie.

>Derrickson's main inspirations were Stan Lee and Steve Ditko's 1960's run, "Into Shamballa" and "The Oath", which informed the movie's tone. Feige and Derrickson already have plans for the sequels.

>Feige believes the movie could be as important to dictate the future of the MCU as 2008's IRON MAN.

>There are four main action scenes in the movie.

>The Eye of Agamotto holds one of the Infinity Stones.

>Christine Palmer was chosen as Strange's love interest in part because she was someone that could interact with him both before and after his character development and evidence how much he changed; and in part because he backstory is less convoluted than Strange's most notable love interest, Clea.

>Mordo was made into an ally of Strange because Feige felt that the concept of Mordo was too outdated and obvious for modern audiences. Although the storyline could evolve, Mordo is solely a friend and supporter of Strange throughout the movie.

>>Derrickson wanted the movie to be rooted in real magic, and although there are brief rationalizations between magic and science, the mysticism retains an air of mystery, so much that a prologue set at CERN and explaining the concept of alternate dimensions through a scientific standpoint was deleted from the movie.

This makes me feel very good. Feige makes good decisions yet again.

>Kaecilius was chosen as the villain over more notable threats like Dormammu and Shuma Gorath because he is human and his backstory could be rooted into Strange to prevent the storyline from becoming too convoluted. Kaecilius neverthless serves as a gateway into these characters and concepts.

>Derrickson noted that Kaecilius is an "argumentative" villain, someone who has a particular philosophy and viewpoint about the world and debates Strange over the validity of his views. Derrickson's main inspirations were Kevin Spacey's John Doe and Heath Ledger's Joker.

>too outdated and obvious for modern audiences

As opposed to "evil businessman"?

So hi to Marvel's next wasted 10/10 talent

Same, I appreciate the fact that they're stressing the distinction.

>The Ancient One's ethnicity was changed due to racial implications of the "Wise Asian Old Man" stereotype. They decided to make her into a woman of Celt descent and the latest of a long line of Ancient Ones, one of which was the classic Ancient One featured in the comics.

>Tilda Swinton was chosen for the role due to her ethereal quality. Morgan Freeman, Bill Nighy and Ken Watanabe were also reportedly considered for the role.

>Brother Voodu and Minuro make cameos in the movie as members of the Ancient One's team of mystic warriors from Kamar-Taj.

"Amoral businessman who's willing to cut throats for wealth and power" is timely and topical.
"Cackling Ebil Wizard" is rote.

>And Heath Ledgers Joker
Intelligent, Nihilistic and with a Wicked Sense of Humor

>Wong was absent from numerous drafts due to representing the "loyal Asian manservant" stereotype, according to Scott Derrickson. Once the Ancient One, who was still Asian in early drafts, was made into a Celtic woman, they felt comfortable enough to include Wong, but changed him from the Ancient One's servant to one of her most trusted lieutenants and the guardian of the ancient tomes of sorcery, in addition to making him one of Strange's teachers at Kamar-Taj.

>Strange and Wong's relationship is one of the cornerstones of the movie, as they slowly earn each other's respect and become fire-forged comrades.

>The Ancient One's ethnicity was changed due to racial implications of the "Wise Asian Old Man" stereotype

Aw c'mon Disney, it was changed because "Wise Old Tibetan Monk with Mastery of all Magic" would trigger the fuck out of the Chinese Communist Party, who hold the key to millions of box office riches.

I don't have a problem with Swinton, but after Mandarin there's no point in being disingenuous about kow-towing to the Chinese.

It's like you are describing me.

The Chinese love the Wise Old CHINESE Man stereotype. They do not love the "humble manservant to Western Guy" stereotype at all.

Though I guess we should expect decades of sucking Chinese cock until their economy implodes or we end up fighting them in the Pacific. The minute their box office closes to the USA the stereotypes will be back on full-force, triply so if there are hostilities involved.

>>Brother Voodu and Minuro make cameos in the movie as members of the Ancient One's team of mystic warriors from Kamar-Taj.

that was unexpected

would it be one of the minuro parents? id assume

>According to Kevin Feige, mystics harness energies from alternate dimensions to warp reality. He basically confirmed that the Scarlet Witch possesses some amount of magic power, but due to her lack of training and control, they manifest themselves in a more chaotic manner, while Strange's are slowly refined during his training.

>The action scenes were carefully planned out to avoid the magic fight cliches of simply being throwing energy balls at each other. In addition to his mystic abilities, Strange is also an accomplish martial artist in the movie, and Feige and Derrickson have described the movie as being a "supernatural kung-fu movie" at heart.

>Feige acknowledges that several Marvel movies have presented villains with the same powerset and origin as the hero and claimed they'll be branching out into more unique antagonists, but that connecting hero and villain is an efficient way to streamline the narrative, allowing the mythology to be explored without making it too scattershot.

>There'll be no direct references to the Avengers or the other MCU movies as a whole. Feige views CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR as the only movie you need background knowledge to fully appreciate and reiterated that this and future solo movies will be as efficient as standalone pictures as they will be as part of the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe.

>The mystics of Kamar-Taj never intervened on the crises handled by the Avengers because they were simply too busy protecting the world from supernatural threats and figured the Avengers could handle the aliens and killer robots.

>Strange was not yet a sorcerer when he was mentioned in CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER. Zola's algorithm identified him as a potential threat to Hydra because he was a rich, world-famous, respected and opinated physician who would likely have opposed their regime and could become a subversive figure to the population.

That's an alright poster for once.

I've never read any Doctor Strange stuff, but how excited for the movie are you fans of the comics?

It's Nico's mom.

>Scarlet Witch possesses some amount of magic power, but due to her lack of training and control, they manifest themselves in a more chaotic manner, while Strange's are slowly refined during his training.
I'm calling a SW/Vision/Strange love triangle in Infinity War before Vision gets the gem ripped out of his head.

>in nursing lab today practicing collecting specimens from urine
>we are simulating having a urinalysis test ordered by a doctor
>someone wrote the doctor's name on the rack of tubes
>Dr. Strange
Made me smile. I'm so hyped for this.

HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT NAME!?

>According to Feige, the movie's parallel dimensions aren't mirrored versions of Earth, but otherwordly places that human minds can barely comprehend, like the Dark Dimension and the Astral Plane.

>The Cloak of Levitation is one of the most important weapons in Strange's magic arsenal and possesses a mind of its own and has to be tamed.

>Marvel was reluctant to go forward with the vast amound of mystical concepts and objects introduced in the movie, but Derrickson used the "Harry Potter" franchise as an example of people being receptive to discovering the groundwork, the rules and the inner working of magical worlds.

>Feige played coy on the Eye of Agamotto holding one of the Infinity Stones, although it was later confirmed by the production designer. Either way, he said that it won't receive much focus on the movie and won't drive the plot.

>yfw Dormammu is the final boss

If the magic shit doesn't look at least as good as Sorcerer's Apprentice then it's shit tier. It needs to be impressive like the part where the chinese dudes turn into a fucking dragon and you actually see the transformation happening from their persepective.

>Mordo was made into an ally of Strange
GOD
DAMMIT
FUCKING DISNEY

>He's not only black, but he's also not the fucking bad guy
Hollywood does it again

Holy fuck, this just got a whole two layers deeper.

I've read very little Doctor Strange, but I'm excited. Magic beams are cool.

Bump my rump

Just because it's a Disney movie, you want them to recreate a scene from Fantasia? Come on man.

>Ryan Gosling

Wow I would have dropped this movie right from the start if he was casted

>Kake chosen over Dormy and Shuma because less money spent on special effects to render those two
That's what they really meant

One of the best things about Doctor Strange is the magic, how can you have a movie where magic is a pivotal element and make it suck dick? I'm not asking for something extravagant or lengthy, I just don't want to go into an IMAX only to have my eyes raped like what happened with The Hobbit

Broomsticks are not visually impressive no matter what you do with them.

>How did you become a doctor?
>...
>...
>...
>...
>Studying.

My hands are broken

SHE IS MY WAIFU, DR. STRANGE!

>Minuro

Ooooooh daaaaaamn!

She's a Chaos Witch, not your waifu.

>cloak of levitation has mind of its own

How much ya'll wanna bet they're gonna have it act like Aladdin's magic carpet for laughs?

You mean to tell me that Marvel wastes talent on done-in-one, shallow, forgettable villains?

What about the reshoots for quips?

>>Christine Palmer (Rachel McAdams) is Strange's old friend, fellow doctor and potential love interest with whom he reunites once he returns to New York City and sets up a base of operations in the Sanctum Sanctorum, a penthouse office in Greenwich Village.

So is she going to be a part of his operations at the Sanctum Sanctorum? Like is she going to be a returning supporting player there?

>Eye of Agamotto holds one of the Infinity Stones
I just hope they manage to remove the stone but retain the artifact and its power when this is all over.

The fact that they're STILL finishing effects and working on visuals contradicts your obvious bullshit.

This

I was surprised Lee Pace was Ronan

>Christine Palmer (Rachel McAdams) is Strange's old friend, fellow doctor and potential love interest
Ah yes the Marvel formula just isn't complete without the forced love subplot.

Can't wait for big-tits Umar and waifu Clea to join him

And the cherry on top, he's another black sidekick

Isn't that problematic?

Nah it's OK when Marvel does it.

So are they bending reality or what?

I for one would have loved to see this walking abomination

Glad we're getting something halfway decent though

>>Karl Mordo (Chiwetel Ejiofor) is the Ancient One's former apprentice and right-hand man. Mordo is the first to see potential in Strange and becomes a mentor for him as he learns more about the mystic arts.

So, it's Hal Jordan and Sinestro. The House of Ideas!

>Linda Danvers, Carol Danvers
>Carol's origin is so similar to Hal Jordon's they had to rewrite it
IT KEEPS JAPPENING

>implying they aren't just setting him up as a villain for Dr. Strange 2: Shuma Boogaloo

I hope it doesn't flop.

Is Cumberbatch still a big draw these days?

>Chiwetel Ejiofor as mordo
damn son I thought he was going to be a Wong expy and Benedict Wong was going to be a token throw away character. guess i was wrong about that.

Isn't he just a big draw for tumblr girls? He's basically an unknown outside of that crowd, aside from other websites making fun of his name.

MARTHA?!?!?!?!?

As long girls see a pretty face they can recognize, it's going to make money.

This will probably be the first Marvel movie I've seen in cinemas in ages. I'm rolling out for this one because the effects look cool and the Avengers aren't cringing up the joint with their bad jokes. Also I warmed to the director when he praised Zack Snyder's adaptation of Watchmen.

>Chiwetel Ejiofor as evil wizard in 2
im okay with this.

i would like that

Aladdin is old enough that it would really hit a cool nostalgic nerve if they got the motions for it right

i actually thought he was wong this whole time too, its cool though i think he could be a fine mordo and more development before and if he goes bonkers is only a good thing

>Sherlock
>Imitation Game
>Oscar and Golden Globes nominations
>unknown

I agree that tumblr sucks, but come on.

Snyder's Watchmen was decent. It was a good adaptation, especially considering the time/content ratio.

I feel genuinely bad for Pace. He got properly into the character, started reading the comics...and the script turns Ronan into a one-shot Space Bin Laden.
All I can hope is that Thanos uses the Gauntlet to bring him back to beat people up and he comes back as his familiar Space Judge Dredd self.

Yeah what was the point of making the villain of GotG Ronan specifically?

>So hi to Marvel's next wasted 10/10 talent
If he dies in the film, it would be because Marvel couldn't afford him any more than one time. The guy is popular right now and has no reason to sign a ten film contract or anything else like that.

>So is she going to be a part of his operations at the Sanctum Sanctorum? Like is she going to be a returning supporting player there?
Well the issue is Doctor Strange lives alone. And it is hard to tell a story when he is just talking to himself. Tony Stark only gets away with it because of both Pepper and his AI assistants.

I'm a die hard Dr. Strange fan, and I'm cautiously optimistic. Still a few things I'm concerned about.

Such as?

>Jared Leto

SHUMA'S GONNA FREAK!

I doubt it. They'll probably want to introduce Clea in the sequel.

What'll happen to the Eye of Aggamotto after all this Infinity Stone business is dealt with, if Kaecilius will be interesting, if they can make the fight scenes something more than just kung-fu with some flashy magic effects, that sort of stuff. The biggest one for me, though, is the time frame of Strange's training. I feel it's an important part of the character that his training take place over years, and I'm worried they'll compress that time too much, make him into a "chosen one" character who gains all his power over the course of a week or something.

> More "chaotic" is the key word.

> Ooh look it's the DarkHold.

> Who was that guy who oh so conveniently gave Loki the scepter?

I think it's Mordo who seeks out Wanda.

He leaves Kamar Taj at the end of the movie according to some sources.

yet they could make him a noticeable villian for his only movie but they won't.

I think Dormammu tempts Kaecilius by basically saying he can use that forbidden shit because Dormammu pledges to protect him from Chthon's nasty shit.

Your dub-trips seem to lend credence to this. Chthon fucking with Wanda in Quicksilver's corpse when?

>Kaecilius has come into contact with a powerful entity that resides in the Dark Dimension

This is good.

>a prologue set at CERN and explaining the concept of alternate dimensions through a scientific standpoint was deleted from the movie.
>"Into Shamballa" and "The Oath", which informed the movie's tone

This is great.

>The Eye of Agamotto holds one of the Infinity Stones.

This is shit.

>Although the storyline could evolve, Mordo is solely a friend and supporter of Strange throughout the movie.

This is retarded.

>Kaecilius was chosen as the villain over more notable threats like Dormammu and Shuma Gorath because he is human and his backstory could be rooted into Strange to prevent the storyline from becoming too convoluted. Kaecilius neverthless serves as a gateway into these characters and concepts.

No, fuck you disney, if he doesn't lead into Dormammu and has casuals wondering if he's the ghost rider or the devil, I'm walking out.

>Brother Voodu and Minuro make cameos
>described the movie as being a "supernatural kung-fu movie" at heart.
>it won't receive much focus on the movie and won't drive the plot.

kek these give me hope, this movie is the very definition of a hit and miss.

They've said already that the movie takes place over the years from Iron Man to the current day so prepare for training montages and Strange getting his ass handed to him by more powerful wizards.

>Derrickson wanted the movie to be rooted in real magic, and although there are brief rationalizations between magic and science, the mysticism retains an air of mystery, so much that a prologue set at CERN and explaining the concept of alternate dimensions through a scientific standpoint was deleted from the movie.

Lazy bullshit. Though it does leave room for better minded directors to add scientific reasoning for later movies.

>Lazy bullshit. Though it does leave room for better minded directors to add scientific reasoning for later movies.

That's lame, let magic be magic. It's a fucking story, it doesn't need scientific explanations.

Why would you want that?

>The Ancient One's ethnicity was changed due to racial implications of the "Wise Asian Old Man" stereotype. They decided to make her into a woman of Celt descent and the latest of a long line of Ancient Ones, one of which was the classic Ancient One featured in the comics.
They should have kept it asian, Tilda looks like she is cosplaying Aang. strange, like Iron Fist, has always been heavy with the mighty whitey cliche, superficial changes just make it more obvious.

Not that guy but no one has said this.

The more likely reality is that they will use the time stone to give Strange time to train without the years passing by as quickly.

How does it feel knowing you're the one guy that wants the "magic == science" bullshit on screen?

>M-MUH MAGIC IS MAGIC!!

Anything that someone understands at the level to replicate and control becomes a science. It's still magic. It's still impossible shit. They just understand how it works.

It being a science doesn't make it not magic.

I will never understand why there's spergs like you few who freak the fuck out when people dare imply they have an understanding of something.

How does it feel to be part of the most cringiest spergiest vocal minority that freaks out when a work of fiction says a character understands something on a factual and replicatable level, making it a science.

i agree, the issue is more on how crappy marvel handled it in thor because they just crammed it into our mouths

Yeah, I'll concede that too. Them making Natalie Portman sit down with Thor and try to just handwave it all away as "well it's actuall science" isn't right either, because it is the killing of the magic.

I think the Ancient One in the trailer puts it best, not everything makes sense, not everything has to.

>Anything that someone understands at the level to replicate and control becomes a science. It's still magic. It's still impossible shit. They just understand how it works.

This would be true if magic were real but it's not. In fiction the difference between magic and science is just aesthetic, and I would prefer that Doctor Strange have the aesthetic of magic without needing to clothe it in that of science.

>not everything makes sense, not everything has to.

That's pretty irreconcilable with scientific reasoning.

Name one superhero movie completely bereft of romance.

Let it go, man. It's not Cthom.

The Winter Soldier
The Avengers
GotG

>the winter soldier
cap and falcon
>avengers
banner and stark were pretty chummy but ill give you this one
>gotg
groot and rocket

Bromance counts too

of fuck i thought it said bromance not romance nevermind

Yeah, but bromance is what the MCU does best. Romance is what they suck at.

>Cap and Bucky
>Cap and Black Widow
>Stark and Banner
>Hawkeye and Black Widow
>Cap and Falcon
>Stark and Rhodey
>Cap and Thor
>Groot and Rocket

All have some great interactions/frienships. Also, the slight mentor relationship between Cap/Wanda and Hawkeye/Wanda in CW was also good. However, they drop the ball with the romances 95% of the time.

boooyyy, it's going to suck big time

>Why would you want that?

Because I think it's interesting that they try to give some manner or real world reasoning. That the kind of stuff our ancestors, and the more primitive minded people of today, think to be the supernatural when it's actually all just an advanced form of science and technology that we have yet to achieve.

Blah blah blah we all know the Arthur C. Clarke quote. Magic has it's own fictional conventions, why make it play by science's rules?

>it has to be one girl or another
>can't have a story with no girlfriend!

>Magic has it's own fictional conventions, why make it play by science's rules?

Because it's not been done before (as far as I know) and it's cool. To put a realistic/plausible take on what we would otherwise write off as incomprehensible forces beyond our reckoning is interesting.

It's why I liked the first Blade movie's take on Vampires back when it came out. That it's an actual biological disease and not some bullshit supernatural curse from hell.

Would Shuma be a logical follow up to Thanos?
Considering he's so powerful that if he so much even enters our deminsion we are fucked?

>Minuro make cameos in the movie
I'm pretty sure a recent Fiege interview debunked this.

>those casting choices

>incomprehensible forces beyond our reckoning
To me that's exactly what makes magic interesting.

>The Winter Soldier
Cap/Sharon.

>The Avengers
Stark/Pepper. Hints of Natasha/Banner.

>GotG
Star-Lord/Gamora.

>To me that's exactly what makes magic interesting.

Exact opposite for me. Without adding any reasoning or logic to it just makes it boring and lazy in my eyes. I guess that's why I could never get into the magic stuff with Harry Potter (the movies, didn't read the books). They never go into why magic is or how it works. It's 'just because' with nothing behind it.

So yeah, I'm one who very much hopes that Dr. Strange will adhere (in this movie or future installments) to the establishment in the MCU that the supernatural is just a construct conceived by lesser minded peoples and that it doesn't actually exist, and that it's all just Super-science.

Superman and the Mole Men
TMNT
Meteor Man
Judge Dredd
Unbreakable
Blade 2 and 3
The Punisher
Ghost Rider 2
Dredd

>I think magic should be explained like an advanced science
>I disagree, I think magic should be mysterious and unexplained
>well no, it should be science because I enjoy details and explanation in my fiction
>actually no, it should be mysterious because I enjoy intrigue and the unknown in my fiction
>well you're wrong for enjoying it like that!
>nuh-uh, YOU'RE wrong for enjoying it the way YOU enjoy it!

I'd rather everybody just stop having the exact same fucking discussion, ad infinitum, in every goddamn Dr. Strange thread.

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

>Batman breaks through the window

"WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?"

>captcha 5252

>Also I warmed to the director when he praised Zack Snyder's adaptation of Watchmen.

Well, we already know this movie is going to be trash.

Yeah I hate this. Hope Batman breaks this trend. I doubt it though.

>Cap/Sharon.
Literally nothing, they flirted 3 minutes and that was it. Cap and Widow had more of a "romance" than Cap/Sharon in that movie.

>Stark/Pepper.
Again, for 5 minutes maybe.

>Hints of Natasha/Banner.
Only in Whedon's head, that shit came out of nowhere in AoU.

>Star-Lord/Gamora
Not even a romance, just some flirting and Gamora shut him down.

Still romance.

kys

Eh, they'll just throw a bunch of comedy so they won't lose casuals during the whole magic thing.

(See Guardians and Antman)