What could possibly made her become a dictator?

What could possibly made her become a dictator?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2gNXfrMR_Lw
theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/25/usa.secondworldwar
jacobinmag.com/2014/04/capitalism-and-nazism/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no one wants to fuck her

Deprivation of hot dickings

What about him and her other followers?

She was raised by Su Lin, and therefore grew up witnessing firsthand a sociopath oligarch build herself an impenetrable fortress of a city and sit in the lap of luxury while Earth Kingdom peasants starved. It stands to reason she'd want to overthrow assholes like Su Lin and Prince Wu who did nothing to earn their fortunes and make it so everyone in the country who wasn't part of her personal goon squad lived a life of egalitarian subsistence.

Good writing.

not wanting to hand the country over to an incompetent puppet controlled by the united republic

Love of her country.

I'm serious - she explains it herself - The Earth Kingdom fell apart and she wanted to restore it. Suyin was content to let it fall so she went off on her own.

Yes she's harsh, but she's right and Prince Wu's solution at the end will only lead to more warfare as provinces that formerly relied on each other for trade begin infighting over resources.

Probably the thing about the Illuminati putting a puppet ruler in charge of her country.

>old monarchy de facto run by the secret service collapses after an assassination
>an idealistic military commander using a force loyal to them takes over, declares a change in management and starts violently piecing together a country that do to archaic feudal system is on balkanising.
>new dictator runs the country based on simple but shared goal while mixing modernism with military rule
jesus christ the analogies were so perfectly clear anyone who has browsed wikipedia should know this.

All the more reason why they had to make her a raving loony at the end to justify her being "evil". Might as well have gone full balls to the wall and had her start genociding non-earth benders.

We all know the real reason why you made this thread OP

Bryke's daddy issues projected in their writing

Su did build the only place in the Avatarverse that isn't a shithole almost by herself.

>What could possibly made her become a dictator?

This, if Suyin wasnt such a shit mother and person then all of this would not have happend.

>gets the easy life because of her mothers fame
>scares her own sister for life after getting caught red handed, a scare that is both physical and mental for her.
>takes in a fosterkid, fuck it up so much that the kid turns in to hitler 2.0 because Suyin doesnt want to use her political and military influence.
>takes the moral high ground after kuvira is stoped and demands revenge, but forgives her own son as if it was nothing.

Why are there so many people in the korra series that are such pieces of shit.

Kuvira only wanted to love her mom

well we know the hero to call

and he's even Asian

She did have re-education/concentration camps for non-earthbenders and her spirit cannon was a direct copy of the Gustav

Alternately, her mom loved her the wrong way.

>powerful and ambitious person gets handed a giant army and de facto leadership of a country in shambles

She could have totally gotten away with it too, if she hadn't tried to get her hands on Republic City.
I don't think anyone wanted to pick a fight with her. The Firenation wouldn't get involved, the Watertribe is useless on a good day and the Avatar was still looking for non-violent solutions.

If she had just used the mech as a deterrent, all would have worked out for the better.
It's a shame really.

>Deterrent
I feel like the Avatar would have eventually gone after it regardless.

Then there wouldn't be any plot.

Dictators usually live long happy lives as long as they don't mess with other countries.

Foreigners pouring into her land and taking a chunk of it for themselves

The United Republic is Fire Nation clay by right of conquest

Then why should I feel bad that Kuvira wanted to take it back through force?

nice of him to copy the style of his grandpa Sokka

she couldnt afford to pay for the huge army and fancy wartoys with the shitpoor provinces of the decimated earth kingdom. the Republic was rich, and annexing it would let her pay off her debts before her soldiers' paychecks started bouncing. In fact i'm 70% sure that her conversation from well intentioned law-and-order type to full dictator was driven mostly by financial reasons

If she is running out of money then a giant platinum robot is probably the last thing she should make.

big vanity projects that put you in the red and have little practical military value are a hallmark of military dictators. partly because of their vanity and lack of financial sense, and partly because their support base mostly consists of the soldiers and weapon researchers who fueled their conquest in the first place. so they have to find ways to pay for the bloated budgets of their supporting institutions, none of which make any money themselves.

Thanks to that user who is posting Kuvira fanart
I needed this

>Grow up with the worst woman
>patriotic
>watch as your kingdom devolves into anarchy and lawlessness due to weak leadership and then the death of said leadership
>have the humiliation of having a previous shitty leader just give away part of the rightful clay of your nation to build a large, independent city-state; imagine of Obama gave away a chunk of Michigan to an international group with the express purpose of turning it into a globalist multi-cultural utopia for no real gain at all to the US
>the "rightful" ruler is a retarded twit
>your military campaigns have had success in restoring order and prosperity
>fuck it, you're the only one who can do this and restore your country to its rightful standing
And really if not for bullshit (i.e. the writers declaring "liberal republics are the only acceptable form of government") she would've kept winning. She's honestly the single greatest national leader shown in either ATLA or Korra aside from possibly Sozin.

>the kid turns in to hitler 2.0
She wasn't committing genocide and I don't really remember her espousing outright Nazi-esque racial shit. She was a fascist but not a Nazi.

>have the humiliation of having a previous shitty leader just give away part of the rightful clay of your nation to build a large, independent city-state; imagine of Obama gave away a chunk of Michigan to an international group with the express purpose of turning it into a globalist multi-cultural utopia for no real gain at all to the US

No, the equivalent would be Russia conquering Alaska, holding it for over a hundred years, then conquering all of the United States through overwhelming military superiority so Obama has to ask Jesus's reincarnation to team up with Putin's brother and son to stop him from ruling the whole world and then expecting Putin's son to give back Alaska which is mostly filled with Russians by now. But in the end Alaska ends up under the control of the UN.

Is there more Kuvira propaganda posters? Pretty much the only good thing in Korra.

>She did have re-education/concentration camps
Did we ever see those? I dipped out after a while because I remember a lot of "KUVIRA TOTALLY HAS ALL OF THIS STUFF IT'S REALLY BAD" yelling but never actually seeing it or having real concrete evidence beyond what characters say.

We had a bunch of escaped prisoners, but no they never showed the camps.

Varrick and Bolin met some guys that were imprisoned for having Fire Nation and Water Tribe origins

We're told this But we're shown that she's power hungry.

I want to fuck her.

>beautiful
>brilliant
>kickass
>tough as nails
>cold-blooded
>resolute
>sane with clear goals
>hot
>perfect hair

She's perfect.

I didn't say she was perfect, just her reasoning and that her assessment was correct.

If Suyin had taken her call, the entire thing would've played out completely differently.

this

nazis were fascists, buddy. Kuvira was a left wing authoritarian. nazis were right wing. nazis oppressed minorities and were only powerful because of u.s. corporations like IBM and they privatized many businesses

youtube.com/watch?v=2gNXfrMR_Lw

theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/25/usa.secondworldwar

jacobinmag.com/2014/04/capitalism-and-nazism/

I wasn't implying you though she was perfect. Just saying that your explanation is the official stance, which is a bit at odds with what she did.

Democracy was a mistake

>implying Bolin wasn't her boy toy

No, I'm just saying that I didn't imply she was altruistic. There are very few revolutionary leaders who walked away from power.

If that it's true he is only a firebender away from doing "the avatar cycle"

The earth nation concentration camps were a myth just like the airbender genocide.

Baatar Jr. crushed that pussy every night, what are you talking about?

Ozai, get off the Varrinet