Growing up I was never allowed to watch TV. I have never actually sat down and watched any animated show or cartoon...

Growing up I was never allowed to watch TV. I have never actually sat down and watched any animated show or cartoon. I just moved out last week and now my roommate is trying to get me into cartoons. Where should I start, any recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBde6tYoQ-jW4h_lty2-xuDpxoA6XvONE
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBde6tYoQ-jVVrjuHtjE8zAXg4xrWaxEi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Rocko's Modern Life is a pretty well-rounded start.

First of all, beat your parents with the blunt end of a crowbar for preventing you from the joys of television. Secondly, invader zim or ruby gloom.

Why were you not allowed?

Were your parents christfags?

90% of thats objectively shit

They said that cartoons were stupid and for kids. Which that second part made no sense, since at the time I was a kid.

Also, I tried to get into Pokemon (TCG) as a kid, but countered the same response. Which is bullshit, since both of my parents are now hooked on Pokemon Go.

Simpsons
Hey Arnold
Space Ghost Coast to Coast
Snow White

Here, I trimmed it for you.

Simpsons is mandatory.
The first 2 seasons are fine but pretty raw. Might seem dated to someone fully unfamiliar with the show. But its still worth watching and season 3 is when it starts to mature.

Don't bother past season 10.
There are a some good episodes after that, but you will have seen the best at that point.
You're time is better spent on other shows than going down the slope of quality. You can always resume later if you want.

Cyber Six
Big Guy and Rusty
Men in Black the series
MLP FiM
Star Vs
Loli Rock
Bojack Horseman
Voltron Netflix version
Super Jail
Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Your parents were saints. Television is THE biggest waste of time EVER.

>my roommate is trying to get me into cartoons

Your roommate is a stoner and/or loser. STAY AWAY FROM CARTOONS. PLAY VIDEO GAMES OR READ A BOOK INSTEAD.

>kaguya
that's the worst modern ghibli film after the one with the nazis

Watch Over the Garden Wall, it's short and fantastic. The Powerpuff Girls and Futurama are must-see classics. For currently airing stuff, Steven Universe, Rick and Morty, and American Dad are pretty good. Were you allowed to watch animated movies? Because I'll recommend The Iron Giant, Shrek, Yellow Submarine and most of Pixar's stuff.

>video games being any less of a waste of time
wew lad

Start with the obscure stuff.
Kangaroo Creek Gang : youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBde6tYoQ-jW4h_lty2-xuDpxoA6XvONE
Tracey McBean : youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBde6tYoQ-jVVrjuHtjE8zAXg4xrWaxEi

My video game time was limited as a kid.
As a result, I played outside more.

This meant I got a lot of exercise.
I was very healthy.

Why do people on Cred Forums come up with these cockamamie backstories to make rec threads?

Just lurk and you'll find answers to your question.

>Why do people on Cred Forums come up with these cockamamie backstories to make rec threads?
Because it's fun.
Does there need to be more to it than that?

Spongebob seasons 1-3 and the first movie are musts. Skip everything afterwards.

Other recommendations are classic Simpsons, Phineas and Ferb, ATHF, and Wander Over Yonder.

My Personal Favorites:

>Shows:
-Moomin (super comfy)
-Ducktales
-Darkwing Duck
-Daria
-Futurama
-Batman: The Animated Series
-Wallace & Gromit
-The Simpsons, at least some eps from the early-ish seasons because of the show's huge impact (seasons 2-7 are prime I think? I may be wrong). Actually watch some old Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Coyote/Roadrunner etc to get that cultural reference too. Just a couple to know about it

-Over The Garden Wall (It's great. GREAT)
-The Venture Bros. (Maybe watch a couple of eps of shows like Jonny Quest to get what its parodying)
-Rick & Morty, Bojack Horseman etc
-Wakfu
-Cowboy Bebop, though it's anime
-Gravity Falls, if you like that sort of stuff
-Steven Universe, though it's divisive. watch the first 12 eps and then see what you think of it.

>Movies:
Disney animated classics: I like The Emperor's New Groove, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Hercules, Atlantis, Frozen (yes), Tangled, Wreck-it Ralph, Zootopia, Fantasia, The Lion King, Lilo & Stitch, Great Mouse Detective, Robin Hood.

Pixar movies: Monsters Inc., The Incredibles, Up, Wall-E and others.

Various: How to Train Your Dragon, Coraline, The Nightmare Before Christmas (I love it), The Iron Giant, Mary & Max, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Rango, Ernest & Celestine, Kubo & the Two Strings, Long Way North, Wallace & Gromit the Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea, The Pirates! Band of Misfits, The Illusionist, A Cat in Paris, The Snow Queen (1957 USSR version), April and the Extraordinary World,

>Anime:
Ghibli: Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle,
Other: Ghost In the Shell, Paprika, Grave of the Fireflies (heartbreaking), Akira, Millennium Actress, Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Ayyyyy inb4
>shit taste user

good taste user

Your parents sound retarded.

Careful user, that shit's hereditary.

Grave of the Fireflies is Ghibli, actually.

It's never too late to get into the PTCG m8, shit's fun.

Simpsons and south park.

Didn't you have internet? Why didnt you stream?

Pretty much this list

I'd add Courage the Cowardly Dog and maybe ATLA just to give a little more rounded experience

Well, since it's been recommended a couple times already:

Over the Garden Wall is definitely worth a watch, but I think the experience watching it is a tiny bit better if you see it after watching some old classic cartoon shorts from the 20s-40s. Just to understand what they're referencing a little better.

Disney's old shorts, stuff from Fleischer Studios, Van Beuren Studios, and the old Warner Bros cartoons are of note and are highly recommended anyway.

This OP
fucking this
I honestly WISH I hadn't had a tv when growing up
Incidentally, a close friend of mine's family didn't either have a tv and they're the happiest and most balanced fucking family i've ever encountered

>The Charlie Brown specials are so obvious they haven't been mentioned.
If you somehow haven't watched the Christmas and Halloween ones you probably should before the Simpsons at least.

Your parents are cunts

Duckman

TV does rot the brain. I'm sure they just wanted to keep him smart

Kisscartoon.com
Go fucking nuts user. Just go to most popular section and pick your poison.
My personal reccomendations would be to start with Pixar and Dreamworks movies movies like toy story 1 2 & 3 the incredibles shrek how to train your dragon etc.

If you think entertainment is wasting time than so is literally everything else
May as well kill yourself now because you're just wasting time you could be spending dead. Go back to your capeshit thread.

How does that follow?

>people who hate cartoons are so stupid that they use "cartoons are for kids" to justify not letting kids watch cartoons

That's actually hilarious.

Fucking parents man, To this day my brother who is 10 years older hates my guts because of the complete 180 they did while raising me. He wasn't aloud TV or video games and spent all his time super structured with zero choice in what he did. When he was nearing the end of high school and I was around 4-5 they started to slack off and let me watch tv, play video games, and do whatever the hell I wanted.

They admitted at his graduation that they were over compensating when he was younger because they were such bad kids and didn't want him to do what they did, only realizing while he was in high school that he could do bad shit and they couldn't stop him, so being all restrictive only resulted is ruining his childhood.

okay user, don't waste your time with any of these except Rescuers (1 and 2), Fox and the Hound, Great Mouse Detective, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Tarzan, Emperor's New Groove, Lilo and Stitch, Treasure Planet

all the rest should take a back seat, you can watch that stuff later

cartoon shows:
Animaniacs
Pinky and the Brain
The Tick (there's also a live action series that got cancelled and a comic book)
Home (on netflix)
X-Men (90s)
Invader Zim
Bob's Burgers
AAAH! Real Monsters
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon from the 80s and 90s
Bojack Horseman
Rick and Morty
Samurai Jack
Clone Wars (star wars cartoon, i think there were only 2 very short seasons)
Johnny Bravo
Powerpuff Girls (original series, not the new one)
Metalocalypse
The Hobbit movie as depicted Wizards - Ralph Bakshi
Venture Bros
Cowboy Bebop
various studio ghibli films
If you watch Dragonball Z, watch DBZ abridged afterwards
other animes: Ghost in the Shell, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Ergo Proxy, Sgt Frog (very silly)
Adventure Time
some people like Avatar the Last Airbender, which i did not. i preferred Korra

Flight of Dragons
Fluppy Dogs (because it was funny)
Phantom Tollbooth (starts out as live action, goes to cartoon)
Titan A.E.
Heavy Metal
Aeon Flux - but it's weird

i hate your parents

>Says TV is a waste of time
>Recommends video games instead.

Wew, lad, wew. Bet you think they can be high art, too.

Moral Orel
The Secret of Kells
Samurai Jack
ParaNorman
Coraline
Wakfu season 1

Needs My Neighbors the Yamadas

What the fuck did you do then, OP? It was totally normal to watch cartoons as a kid. My parents even watched them with me. My dad loved Beavis and Butthead, and my mom loved Foster's.
Did your parents think comics were a waste of time, too? Did they hate Harry Potter?
>plan on seeing every peanuts special and watching more cartoons in general
>not feeling up to it
I love the comics, but so far I've only seen the quintessential ones everybody's seen, the halloween and christmas specials. I'm finally gonna give them all a watch this weekend.

ESSENTIAL

Samurai Jack
Arthur

What do you like?

Classic theatrical shorts:
Looney Tunes
Popeye
Tom and Jerry

TV:
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Jonny Quest
Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures
Batman the animated series
Superman the animated series
Justice League/JLU
The Tick
Johnny Bravo
Powerpuff Girls (original, not the current one)
Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
Futurama
Venture Bros.
Sealab 2021

>They said that cartoons were stupid and for kids
These people deserve to die deaths more horrible than a whore in Arabia.

don't listen to this faggot op,
he's trying to turn you into another e-spurts faggot who lives off a barely successful youtube channel.

>If you think entertainment is wasting time than so is literally everything else
>May as well kill yourself now because you're just wasting time you could be spending dead.
This is the truest thing I've ever read. Human extinction when?

Pic related especially The King and the Mockingbird