Why Shouldn't Comics Be Political?

Unless they are the goofy kind of cornball shit that sells regardless, why not have it out with them?

Why don't we call superheroes out on their politics? They are all a bunch of fascist cunts, you know it, I know it, we all know it. But the minute anybody utters the word "politics" its like ohhh noo, suddenly they are "apolitical" when just 5 minutes ago they were giving speeches on how to raise your kids.

How many times are we going to have to hear the "Captain America Speech" before somebody drops some hard truth on these kids?

The Dark Knight rises was nothing but a primer for getting us used to NSA surveillance. I mean, obviously if Batman is using our cell phones to spy on the Joker, then it must be okay for the government to do it, right?

Just own it. The shit is straight up propaganda.

99% of American comic book writers aren't competent enough to handle political writing.

Because they never really have been.

You cunts don't understand marketing and pandering despite how much you scream it. It's why Cred Forums is the worst board. /pol, /lgbt/, and Cred Forums are fags, but you can enjoy the rage. Here it's just like talking to a woman who does nothing, but drink red wine while reading the same essay on the meaning behind some Young Adult novel for the 5th time today while steadily growing a fupa.

>Because they never really have been.
What unspecified question is this an answer to?

>You cunts don't understand marketing and pandering despite how much you scream it. It's why Cred Forums is the worst board. /pol, /lgbt/, and Cred Forums are fags, but you can enjoy the rage. Here it's just like talking to a woman who does nothing, but drink red wine while reading the same essay on the meaning behind some Young Adult novel for the 5th time today while steadily growing a fupa.

Hi Susan, how are the kids?

I'm like a fucking junkie. I scream about how much I hate comics when the truth is I just want harder and harder shit.

I them to fuck my mind raw.

Oh dear...

Because something something tumblr, something something cucks.

They should, but since the vast majority of comics are superhero fiction and the very idea of superhero fiction is pretty old fashioned and conservative in nature, it doesn't really work when they espouse the liberal sensibilities that contemporary authors usually have.

Comics are for kids

This

Because almost all of the time when cape comics try to be political, it devolves either into straight-up shilling the opinions of the writer, or hamfisted satire about the things the writer doesn't like.

And even if you get the rare writer who can do a good political story, superheroes are a bad genre for it. It just gets really awkward when you try to do serious, real-world political stuff when your vehicle for it is an invincible man in a circus costume who is as far removed from real-world politics as it gets.

There's literally no reason why you can't do political comics outside of the cape genre though.

so big fan of marvel i take it.

Dude, did you not read what I said?

I said Comics Already ARE political. They are clearly promoting a fascist ideology.

>They are clearly promoting a fascist ideology
How's Philosophy 101 treating you.

>random people taking the law into their own hands and dispensing justice on their own volition
I'm not sure if I see the fascism here.

liberals don't read non-web comics anyway.

>the us market is bigger the the franco-Belgian market and the Manga market
Fuck off

Sorry I thought this was an English-language imageboard for English language comics and cartoons.

Except Fox resigned because of it and Batman blew the system up.

Christ, no one read comics and now no one even watches the fucking movies.

That doesn't Matter!

Don't you see that set the precedent?

Don't you think its odd that it came out right about the time NSA shit started hitting mainstream media?

it's an anime imageboard get it right

First off all then you're but fuck retared
Second of all what the hell does that have to do with anything I just said?

Isn't Batmans whole fucking schtick that he should "kill the joker"?

Its bullshit, man! If you use it once whats to keep you from using it again when the next big bad comes along and jobs?

The fact he destroyed it because he didn't trust it.

Because often comic book writers are biased as fuck while knowing jackshit about anything.
Stupid opinions should be kept to their stupid selves.

Doesn't matter. He built it. He used it. And he'd do it again. Thats the fucking point. That's the hard sell. Its the writers fascist ideology creeping into the script, poisoning our young minds.

You might as well have Superman join the army and play paddleball with al queidas ballsacks

>It's why Cred Forums is the worst board.

Then get the fuck out.

This.
And thats before you get into the fact the past and current US politician factions is very shit.
There is a reason parodies runs completely rampant.

How soon before superman starts torturing people? How long before Batman builds a god damn internment camp?

How much longer before they take everything you ever knew and loved about comics and twist everything they ever stood for or you ever believed in into something wretched and vile?

They did that over 10 years ago.
But he can't do it again. And that's not getting into the fact he quit like a little bitch like five minutes after the movie ended.

This, just look at pic related.

>But he can't do it again
of course he can. just build it again from scratch. whats stopping him?

Lack of Lucius.

Because different opinions trigger me and the entire medium should be my own personal safe space.

again, comics already are political. They are constantly replacing main title characters with minorities, espousing different points of view on modern issues, and wrapping their political propaganda in vague psuedo metaphores.

Then they have the GALL to turn around and say, "But comics aren't political! They are for kids!"

If comics are just "kids stuff" then why don't they go back to the camp stuff in the 60's and 70's? Because they are selling you their political nonsense, thats why!

The only thing your doing when you say "No politics in comics" is denying others a forum to voice their opinions.

He doesn't need lucious.

Hes a fucking billionaire. He'll find someone else.

Another confidant he could trust? Because it's not like Lucius was one of the best nor Bruce has trust issues and in the movie alone he got found out by some douchebag accountant.

Every firm of art has politically driven narratives. My major problem with comics is that it only mimic and generalize current events and then tries to promote a singular stance or position, which in the end takes away the audiences reason to, well...think.

Tl:dr the medium ends up just become a propaganda tool for who ever desires at that point. They don't let you find your own opinions, and sticks you with either one they give you.

>I don't read comics, I only read about them on Cred Forums.

>Why Shouldn't Comics Be Political?
is this the beginning of another *-gate movement? Will it be called Comic Gate??

You're deflecting the point.

The point is that it was a primer, to get people used to the idea of a surveillance state.

The fact that he destroyed it is just a cover for the fact that he used it.

>Wanting to be constantly surrounded by politics and their discussion
>wanting to be consistently annoyed and argued with by people here AND irl
What the fuck is wrong with you? There's a time and a place for this shit.
>the minute anybody utters the word "politics" its like ohhh noo, suddenly they are "apolitical" when just 5 minutes ago they were giving speeches on how to raise your kids.
Because politics is a conversational minefield that no one likes doing in person. Online you can pause, take a break, fact check. Irl? You're stuck until there's a winner, or you/they give up, which is draining on anyone. You dumbass, the only reason this would be a shock is you've never gone to hang out with friends and ended up arguing, I'm sorry "discussing", about politics. It can end friendships FYI, hence why people don't like doing it.
Happened to me, but we patched things up thank goodness, it was a stupid argument, too, like most political ones.

All highlighting sexuality and race in comics does is detract away from the fact that comics moral center is being corrupted.

Everytime you replace a white character with a negro or have another chick come out of the closet as bi, you're simply distracting from the fact that the forum is being perverted to promote an agenda of pro-authoritarian, anti-democratic propaganda

What's going on here?

>>the minute anybody utters the word "politics" its like ohhh noo, suddenly they are "apolitical" when just 5 minutes ago they were giving speeches on how to raise your kids.

Did you not read the context of this sentance?

COMICS ALREADY ARE POLITICAL

But nobody has the god damn GUTS to call them out on their shit.

If you knew your friend was willing to resort to violence in order to force you to do what he believed you should do, then why are you still friends with him?

If your friend is willing to stick a fucking shiv in your gut because he hates muslims and thinks they should be put in work camps, hes not really your fucking friend, is he?

Comics have always been political.

Comics can be political, no one denies that. The problem is mixing politics and fantasy tends to really contort and confuse any possible message; there are very, very few works that make this work.

I wish I could have heard the phone call between Gaines and Judge Murphy

If somebody votes to have someone put in a camp, that shows their true nature. That IS who they are. There is no reaching out to them. There is no reasoning with them. The only thing they need to understand is force.

Your doubling back.

You're pretending like its "just for funsies" when you damn well KNOW there is a message involved.

Stop making excuses for them.

Here's what you, and every one that shares the opinion of "Why shouldn't comics be X" need to understand:

It's completely irrelevant.

What is relevant is the quality of the work. The political content of a comic is irrelevant to it's quality.

I've read and enjoyed incredible comics that were pretty much against my political ideologies while I read complete trite that shared my values.

The question: "Why shouldn't comics be political?" is irrelevant.

But things can have a message and still be for children. In fact most things that are for children have a message

Is this Tomorrow is a good comic and it's all true

But almost all your marketing data shows that most comic books are consumed by ADULTS, people in their 20's and 30's

Adult comics should have adult values.

That kind of thinking is why we don't have Kamadi by Paul Pope.

>superheroes are a bad genre for it. It just gets really awkward when you try to do serious, real-world political stuff when your vehicle for it is an invincible man in a circus costume who is as far removed from real-world politics as it gets.
Depends on the hero, the authorities was well suited for handling political subjects

What do I care?

Thats a YELLOW pumpkin!

Comics aren't just superheroes.

The marriage of images and text in the comics format is very powerful tho, and since at least the time of the comics code authority politics has always been in comics as we know them. Political cartoons might be shit now but centuries ago their power was understood.

Your the same kind of person who complains that Disney creates an unhealthy fantasy world for children.

What I'm saying is that every cape comic needs an adult allegory. Captain America needs a Sgt. Glory, an super soldier junkie vietnam vet whos seen some shit.

There should be a whole line of parodies that suckerpunch you the way cape comics do.

You know what?
You know what fuckers?

I LIKED superman IV. And I bet if you had the balls you would admit that you liked it too.

>Your the same kind of person who complains that Disney creates an unhealthy fantasy world for children.
No I'm not, I love Disney.

Oh. Well then.

Get your syrupy sweet saccharine ass out of here. Men are talking.

Really? Cause right now it kinda seems like I'm talking to a bitch?

They were suited for handling superhero-related politics, not real-world stuff. All that goes out of the window when your protagonists are untouchable demigods so far above the common man that laws and politics can't even touch them.

Of course they should. The greatest comic writer of all time was very political.

Damn, those things are cute!

Fuck yeah they are. Japan gets all the super cute ones though

I read fiction to get away from reality. I don't want to turn off the tv because I'm annoyed with a shitty story and open a book to read more about the shitty story ft superheroes.

Theres nothing bad about comics being political exactly, its just that 9/10 the writer/developer/director doing it is utterly retarded and ends up screwing up so bad its an embarrassing mess.

The vast majority of storytelling art is political, even if not explicitly or hamfistedly so.

I love Bat-ape

Tumblr cuck.