Teen Batman

>teen Batman
>high school
>none of the old villains

By all accounts this should have turned out horrible. Why did it work out so well?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sMXjtvMAFlI
youtube.com/watch?v=7_YubbYPmsw
youtube.com/watch?v=kIRCnkwnHqM
youtube.com/watch?v=GTmfnK6XDiA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ed6abCSoQ0o
web.archive.org/web/20141217003415/http://batman-beyond.biz/
youtube.com/watch?v=z65aq1EVGhs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It wasn't a reboot

Good writers and using the themes of Batman in new ways.

It's all about the execution.

You can have the worst concept ever, but make it pass as something great if executed well enough by some talented people.

Because they went with the letter of what they were made to make but kept the spirit of its predecessor.

And over half the time school wasnt even relevant.

I do think its funny that highschool batman killed more villains in his first few years than original batman did his whole career.

And he didnt give a single fuck about it

Terry was a bit of a manchild at first but he nowhere close to being as fucked up as Bruce was. No reason he'd have the same pole up his ass about killing Bruce did.

simple
the executives were as lazy as they were stupid.
stupid enough to say "We want batman to be a kid. kids only watch kids" but lazy enough to say it to the existing guys doing the batman show that got them where they were, instead of hiring new ones
they nearly quit, but then sat, thought about it, and decided it was possible to make it work.

Well it was successful enough that clearly they weren't THAT stupid.

Hes still pretty unconcerned about all the people he's killed considering hes only in highschool.

I mean the guy who murdered his dad is one thing, but beyond that it would be kinda chilling.

The focused on all aspects of Gotham instead of revolving it around Terry and Terry's problems like other teen shows. and when they worked in the Highschool "drama" into legitimate Batman threats. Drugs became Venom. Bulling became Wilie with superpowers. Gang problems were the Jokerz and Splicers. Romance was Eight and the Royal Flush Gang.

The one qualm was that they were really lazy with Dana and instead of finding way's to make her work in the show they just kept getting in fights and breaking up to write her away. Made them look super dysfunctional.

Co-sign.

What surprises me is that Bruce didn't fire him on the spot for doing it the first time. Maybe he actually managed to get that stick out of his ass in his old age?

Ten*. No idea where I got Eight from

Because it's a stealth Spider-Man 2099 show

Fun fact: apparently the writers wanted to do a episode that delved into Terry and Dana's relationship to make it clearer they did love each other, but execs said no.

So THEN, they planned to have an ep where Terry and Dana broke up permanently and eventually Terry got with Sam. But execs vetoed that as well.

So terry and dana stayed together even tho dana basically disappeared from the show

How many people did he straight up murder anyways

Tho the list is longer i know, he had a pretty direct hand in killing:
His dad's murderer
Those two guys who were making venom
The fantastic 4 knockoffs

I distinctly remember them, but im sure there are others

Speaking of which, Spidey 2099 really does need more mainstream exposure. Closest he's gotten was in those two Beenox-made Spidey games (only one of which actually portrayed him well IMO), as alt costumes for Peter in some other Spider-Man games, and a guest spot in the Spider-Verse arc of USM. If anyone from either Sony or Marvel is listening, get Miggy a movie or a TV show pronto.

He kind of killed the joker
Sorta

If Joker counts, then so does the Robert Vance AI.

>Spider-verse movie where Tobey and Andrew reprise their roles NEVER

What was the original idea for the show again? I remember WB had this weird idea instead.

RIP Nelson's schway car.

The Spidey 2099 comic is awful

I'm pretty sure the WB just wanted "Batman in high school" because it was what was selling.

I think it had nothing to do with the future, but just wanted Bruce in HS as some kind of kid Batman.

It was schwarbage

This. WB was a new network at the time, and they wanted to keep the kids who had grown up with BTAS, but were growing into their teens - this "Batman but in high school" idea was one idea, because Buffy The Vampire Slayer was popular with teens at the time. Another idea along those same lines at around the same time was executed... poorly. I'm talking, of course, about Birds of Prey, which was about Batman's young daughter fighting crime in "New Gotham".

Both of you, shut your shocking mouths!

man, a bunch of these fucking haunted my nightmares as a child

I will never understood who greenlit the Earthmover episode

I could never get into it because the lead is ugly and his design is uncanny.

it's the future everyone is part asian

I'm just glad he's canon now.

Terry didn't fuck around.

BB was good because it was so fresh, though I think a lot of its appeal lies in it being easily digestible hardcore cyberpunk. Honestly, Terry is also far more interesting Batman than Bruce ever was, and I think his character really holds the show together well.

Big government, big lies! No way, man! Power to the people!

This.

It was fresh and they could kill people without fans shitting themselves over decades old villains dying.

The writing was excellent as well.
>batman retires because he realized he would us a gun to save his own life in a pinch. And that he was weak enough to resort to one.

I like how the best costumes for batman and spider man are from the future.

Never underestimate the power of a good writer to turn shit into gold.

youtube.com/watch?v=sMXjtvMAFlI

>NOT.
>ACCIDENT.

You can't be serious right? Terry got all the future strange. Dudes lips are iconic.(no homo). Did you not like The Batman because of Bruce's nose?

I liked how it had some of the old enemies. Bane is in it as an old man. As well as Bruce Wayne. And it's done really well

youtube.com/watch?v=7_YubbYPmsw

mop mop

Good writing and doesn't mess up the old series in anyway.

Weird, you have to play all that guy's vids at 1.25x for the proper speed. I wonder if that actually helps trick the copyright bots.

This Bruce watched a man slip through the ground knowing that he'd fall all the way down to the center of the earth and gave no fucks.

He pretty much gave up on his "no kill" rule ages ago. Presumably due to a combination of the fact that Gotham managed to remain a shithole despite decades dedicated to protecting it, all of his friends and allies turning their backs on him, and old age all combining into bitterness.

Hasn't 2099 basically been replaced by Miles?

Plus simple pragmatism, I'd say. Terry often isn't in a real position to save those who die.

one word foggot!
>schway

But one of the best episodes of the series brought back an old villain, in fact I wish they had more of Mr. Freeze in this form because his arm ice cannons were fucking cool.

That design was fucking neato

a few more cameos or references to future versions of other heroes would have been nice

>tfw Terry is my favorite Batman
>tfw shows over and his comics are bad
>tfw DC kills Terry and replaces him with Tim

The show had the strongest sense of tonal and aesthetic identity of anything in the DCAU save for maybe the original BTAS itself. That was a big part. Even bigger is that McGinnis is likable enough to bring the audience on board with the questionable concept. The show was smart enough to usually relegate his teenagerdom to tertiary and secondary plotlines, it knew that the real stars were still Batman and Gotham City.

Tim got warped away and Terry's back in the suit since Rebirth.

Because Terry was different from Bruce, he didn't want his father's murderer behind bars. He wanted revenge.

Because it was true to the concept.

>A protégé of a retired Batman.
>This is a future with new villains and problems, not a reboot.
>Highschool is an aspect, but this is a barman story. Terry doesn't give a shit about school compared to being a hero and blows off school for any reason. Typical senior, really.

The Earthmover still creeps me the fuck out, and I'm almost 30 now.

A part of me is sad that schway never caught on

This.

>that scene where BTAS's theme kicks in as it reveals Bruce is wearing the power armor
>it's as scary as it is awesome because Terry knows that suit can kill him

Beyond Bruce is practically the end game for BvS Bruce.

Ah, I didn't know about that.
Is Rebirth BB any good?

I'm a little nervous now to ask who/what earthmover is?

most of his kills were someone getting fucked up as a result of their own powers/gear than him actively attempting to kill them

>never tapping dat ass
of course they fucked.

>they're in terry's room
>they kiss
>screen pans to the window, fades to black
>fabes back in, she's laying on theb (fully clothed, but still) and Terry's standing up, putting on his jacket

>buried alive for years, mutated, then crushed

More importantly there's no animation on him whatsoever. A voice just comes from him and his eyes glow

Pretty creepy desu

That list always leaves out the time Terry crushed all the drug makers with a giant roller when they were running away. They had lab coats on Terry, clearly they were just chemists who were down on their luck.

In a way, it was even more Gotham-centric than the original series was.

We saw more of what life was like in a city with crime.

It was like a dark version of all those 1950s versions of the future, crossed with Blade Runner. And a surprisingly plausible future as well. The more things changed, the more things stayed the same.

Nope. Last I checked, both currently have ongoing series and they're both running around in Earth-616 now.

So what about Dana?

Gotham High. Where it's teen Bruce and all of the Rogues Gallery are Highschool stereotypes. You can clearly tell they were going for a more comedic vibe with it. No seriously look that up

>Sam

Her name was Max

And to be honest, I'm kinda glad they didn't hook them up. I'm kinda tired of seeing the "Best Male and Female Friends falling in love" cliché all the time. Especially at the time when BB was still airing; that Trope was fucking everywhere!

>that spoiler
KEK every time

Basically "Pokemon Batman"; with three teen kids representing Batman, Robin, and Batgirl and all competing to be Batman.

Unless you were an adult watching the show most of the kids who grew up with Batman Beyond would've never caught on to that.

I always found it amusing how we know Terry slept with a girl who he only knew for like 2 days but yet that was never any indication of him banging Dana; his actual girlfriend

She was cute but Melanie was cuter

I thought she looked much more cuter in the opening theme.

Because it's "what if Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive Batman"

It's great because it's Spider-Man.

>>teen Batman
>>high school
Those aspects were still lame though, imo.

I liked how the Joker couldn't stand him

As a society were drowning in a quagmire of vid-clips, e-mails and soundbites. We cant absorb it all. There is only one sane solution...
BLOW IT UP!

>Why did it work out so well?

It did? I thought it sucked balls.

Grown up Terry should look like this.

>Dudes lips are iconic
>not a single comic artist draws them nor chin cleft

That was the idea so bad that Bruce Timm pitched Justice League just to get rid of it, not Batman Beyond.

One of the best Batman villains ever. So good.

His first scene was just the perfect way to bring up potential background problems of that cyberpunk future.

Another cool part about Terry's character was that he was already athletic, new martial arts and had good street smarts/common sense despite being nowhere near Bruce's peak level.

So even with the suit supplementing his abilities, he was green as fuck and got his ass kicked a lot.

>Mom died in the war
What the fuck?

That's continuity merge for you.

Did the comics ever show what happened to the other characters?

I remember Bruce mentioning Selina ONCE and it was the end of one of the Royal Flush Gang episodes

TAKE OUT ALL THE BIG MONEY IN ONE BIG BLAST!

Got a link to that scene? I don't remember the theme kicking in

His fighting style coupled with the augmented suit reminded me a lot of the slugging matches of Superman rather than the finesse of Bruce's style.

Still better that than give a teenager the same abilities as a martial arts master from the get go and just explaining "Its the suit doing the fighting"

A lot of it is ambiguous.

In the episode where Bruce meets back up with Talia, there is a reference to her in the form of a photograph of Selina's face that Bruce looks at nostalgically. There is one other mention of Selina in the very last episode "Finale". In it, it's implied Bruce and Selina actually became a couple at some point but Bruce's dedication/obsession with "The Mission" drove her to break up with him.

To me, the series implied that Talia was the most important love to him, that Selina was probably the longest or dedicated relationship to him and that losing Barbara hurt him the most.

There are a couple references to Dick Grayson, but nothing was ever implied other than that something negative happened. Maybe there was a falling out or maybe he died, we don't know.

Bruce says in the Joker movie that he became Nightwing and moved to another city.

Not that user but here lad
youtube.com/watch?v=kIRCnkwnHqM

Radical came back and definitely caught on in my area because I started saying it. Start saying schway with your friends user

Why didn't YOU start saying schway instead? For shame, user.

Always about The schway stuff.

>tfw the only artist to ever draw Terry on-model was a westaboo that drew a doujinshi

I think what I liked was that they handled the transition from Bruce to Terry quite well, showing us Bruce's last fight complete with the old-school orchestral music and pitching to us what could possibly make Bruce quit. It's one thing to hear about Bruce retiring, but to see him fail right in front of our eyes is heartwrenching, and proved above all that this wouldn't be some kiddified series with a wacky future.

The scene, for reference, split in two because... reasons.
youtube.com/watch?v=GTmfnK6XDiA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ed6abCSoQ0o

sauce?

Tried to reverse-search it to no avail. I only remember that the site's domain name was something like batman-beyond-biz and it used to sell doujis from several artists. I saved the nicest covers.

Alex Jones grandson.

Nice

It was a decent issue.

Got me to put it on my pull while I check out the first arc, but can see myself dropping it

Huh, it IS www.batman-beyond.biz, but the domain name can't even be resolved now but webarchive remembers.
web.archive.org/web/20141217003415/http://batman-beyond.biz/

It did what i have been wanting to see Batman do since the late 80's, it showed Bruce taking the backseat to a young protege. Hell, my favourite run of the Batman comics was when Dick was being Batman with Damien as his Robin.

Wut? You got Joker, Freeze and Ra's al Ghul, plus cameos of Bane, Double Face, the Riddler and Croc. Not to mention the new vilains with the same powerset as old ones, because people tend to offer less of a fight when they're 80 yo.

Those are shway.

STUPID

Remember when BB Bruce met JLU Bruce? "I can't believe I was ever that soft..."

You better believe he got a lot more jaded.

It's actually one of the cool things about animated DC. You can see Batman get more and more jaded through the series. In Batman Animated he sometimes got concerned over his villains and would try to talk them down or try to help them. You see a little of that carry over to JLU like with the 10 scene.

By BB he just doesn't give two fucks.

Damn. It could really get brutal. I remember when Mist girl died and her friends tried in vain to hold on to her as she faded away. And the cyborg doctor was pure brrrrrr. The way Terry beat the cyborgs unnerved me as a kid, just watching them fall to pieces like that when he said their kill word.

I fucking loved it. Seeing him break out the super armor and wreck everyone's shit with arm cannons was the cherry on top of a wonderful sundae.

SEXY

TERRY

Terry didn't have a hard no-kill rule like Bruce, but he was shown to be pretty shaken after most of his villains deaths.

More like Batman of Murder, amirite?

Why wasn't Terry's little brother a Batman or Robin? He fit Waller's psychological profile more than Terry at the time the dad was murdered. And he has Bruce's genes as well.

>Why wasn't Terry's little brother a Batman

Dick got shot and lost his eye.

What's going on in there

I AM ALCHOHOL.
I AM THE SCOTCH!
I! AM! BARMAN!!

Spellbinder was involved in this one

But seriously, by the beginning of the serioes it was long since Mary and Warren split up, Terry going with his Dad and Matt goiing with his Mom, Matt even admits that he doesn't remember his Dad's face very well in that one episode. Terry was way closer to his old man, and the tragedy affected him the strongest.

Wish the animated short tried this style out instead of going full Daryn Cooke. Vaguely animesque styles suit Beyond.

The art is bad, fuck you for shitting on how good PAD's writing has been.

Isn't the standard artstyle Timm style, even in the short?
Pic related is Cooke's.

Nah, the short was all Cooke, you can even see it in their rather square facial proportions
youtube.com/watch?v=z65aq1EVGhs

reminder that this suit is awesome

>Sculpted lips on a face conforming mask
No.

Dynamic between Terry and Bruce made the show really work. Can't imagine it without that relationship.

I think that outside of Timm's cartoony style, the mask should be still and eery, something resembling Manteau from Dial H but more masculine and demonic, rather than elven.

If the suit needs more detail for the sake of realism the designers should look at evangelion plugsuits but with way lesser level of detail and in very dark grey color. Also, showing the suit's seams and putting plugs/backpack/whatever where wings come out and on the rocket boots wouldn't hurt, either.

>tacticool
Nah. That suit is just the Arkham Knight suit with some changes. It's ugly and has too much detail while the Beyond batsuit should be simple.

has the right idea of how the BB suit should be

While i do agree The lips shouldn't move, The rest of this suit is overdesigned garbage

Holy shit, an actual meaningful discussion on Cred Forums.

10 billion dollar idea right there

Thanks Sony execs

>Keeps their left hands hidden every fucking time
The reveal that one was married while the other wasn't was mildly pointless since Renew Your Vows is a completely different universe.

>"You promised, you promised!"
>"Loser"
Damn, BB dropping some cold hard truths about how women will use you.

>Make a suit that looks more like the Arkham Knight suit than the one in Batman Beyond
>Call it a Beyond suit
Man, most of the costumes in Knight sucked absolute ass, they should have just ported the ones from City.

>NIPPLE LIGHTS

Kamen Rider Dark Knight.

Damn
Do they blink when he's turned on?

No.
They shoot lasers.

>they brought her back in one of the comics
>still 10/10 even with that manjaw

Batman can work a thousand different ways, you don't need endless rehashed of the same villains to make it work. Like mechanical joker or steam punk joker, that would be shit.

You just gotta understand the core and heart of the story, and you can do it however

Kind of like brave and bold

>And to be honest, I'm kinda glad they didn't hook them up. I'm kinda tired of seeing the "Best Male and Female Friends falling in love" cliché all the time.
Eh, I don't think they really had that sort of relationship. They weren't really that close before Max figured out his identity and started working together. They were partners in the superhero business and yes, friends, but that didn't really preclude the cliche hook-up. They were both still horny teenagers and they had something in common, so I don't think it would've been so bad.

In any event, Ten was the best match for Terry.

Actually user in the BB comic Barbra had a miscarriage dealing with stress from Batman and that caused Dick to blame Bruce for Barbra losing the child.

>chilling
kek

Beyond had some major character development in an interesting time and setting. That timeskip to old Bruce left us wondering wtf happened even though most of us already knew that grumpy asshole would end up alone the way he acted in the DCAU.

Terry stole most of the spotlight though, considering how he was when the series began and how he was near the end. Most of us can agree that he earned the cowl.

>starts out as a shitty teen batman that cant do anything right
>wins fights thanks to the high tech suit
>eventually the suit cant cut it against some foes
>Terry starts to doubt himself as batman
>Bruce sees this and sends him to kung fu lady for training
>in one of the later episodes, Terry wins against a villain without his suit
>he learns from his mistakes
>he learns from Bruce's mistakes too
>even Superman recognizes his talents
>becomes a completely different but good batman in his own right

That's some good writing for a kid's show.

inque was hot as fuck

>By all accounts this should have turned out horrible. Why did it work out so well?
Because none of the old villains. And no Robin. And none of the old heroes.

(I forget, how did Becham's Batman Beyond run go?)

Are there any other shows where the heroes kill the working scientists? The only one I can think of is TMNT.

I always thought Bruce was just cool with Terry being his own batman instead of trying to force his morals and psychological issues on him. I mean, Terry always had something of a cruel streak in him and he was never afraid of losing control of his shit. Plus Bruce was already an old, jaded asshole so mightaswell just go with it.

On the other hand the TWEEST of Terry being Bruce's son as just straight bullshit and completely unneeded.

Beyond Barbara was awesome. I love her no bullshit and cold demeanor towards crime (and Terry, at times).

I don't get why more stories don't take Barbara along this route instead of insisting on crippling her/making her Oracle.

Well Bruce seems to regret a lot of things and sometimes I think he wants Terry to do it right this time around.

Bruce's side of the show seems to be REGRETS BEYOND. I mean just look at how unfazed Gotham is after all those years he was Batman. Nothing's changed and he probably could have done things differently if he got a second chance.

I'd like to get her wet iykwim

I appreciated that most of the villains we saw from Bruce's past got bad ends and Bane got it the worst. I would have liked to have seen more, like whatever bad end Poison Ivy would have surely gotten.

Knowing the show she'd either have been killed by pesticide or have a plan to turn people into trees backfire and turn herself into a tree and be stuck, still sentient, but unable to do anything in a city park or something.

Another good thing is he had his own catwoman but she was her own character

Execution >>> The Universe >>> Concept

The fuck are all of you always parroting this? Melanie is nothing like a Catwoman, she never did it for thrill nor out of need. Her motivation to return to life of crime always, ALWAYS had to do with her family. She is not his 'catwoman', she is his 'Talia', if we realy want to devolve into stupid comparisons, like every cape franchise doesn't steal from others.

She really would have looked good in spots.

Dick is one eyed.

there's a joke in there somewhere.

The execs wanted Terry's brother to be Robin

April Moon

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOT MY CHAINSAW KNEES! WHAT WOMAN COULD LOVE ME NOW!?

It's good so far, but the costume redesign is ass

Not really

Barbara joined up with the police

Tim went through years of psychiatric therapy after what the Joker did to him

Dick retired, but the comics revealed he lost an eye and was in a coma for a while because of the Joker and it's what caused him to disown Bruce

Most of the villains are either dead or just old

>she never became batgirl
>old man bruce will never listen in on terry pounding the shit outta melanie

Its a huge loss that neither this or BTAS has yet to (and may never?) be remastered on blu-ray.

WB could make a nice amount of profit with adequate advertising.

>live action batman beyond got canned for batman begins

i mean i liked batman begins but fuck

This is what 2.0 did to Curare.

Thoughts?

She looked better with her skeleton face.

Why did the snake people cult turn into dinosaurs?
Why did they need to steal fossilized DNA when splicer technology was more common?

When he's turned on though?

>roller

>Revenge surgery

I still don't understand how this got past the censors.

Technically, nothing even slightly distasteful was shown on the screen. It was about as subtle as an invisible freight train, but that was clearly enough.

That arc was pretty stupid in general.

that last one looks like that gape pic.

It had the same effect as the final showdown with the Joker in Arkham Asylum.

A master tactician bred and trained his whole life for such a purpose reduced to standard brute/animal tactics after his transformation in the fight.

Everyone hates her and I swear I'll NEVER understand why. It's like nobody can stand the MC in comic show to have anything normal. She was a nice girlfriend and that's it. But everyone bitches she exists because she doesn't add anything or they rather Terry fuck Max or Ten.

Speaking of the latter, I would LOVE to have seen an episode where Terry and Dana split again, and within 2min Dana starts hanging with a cute guy and starts kissing that same night. The tears of the fans who scream how much of a whore and slut she is would be delicious. Yet Terry does it...TWICE (second time in his god damn bedroom as Dana calls him) is fine.

I think Timm&Dini even admitted it in the dvd-commentary. They said that the first episode was very good introducing Xander as a dark counterpart to Terry but the second episode went full retard and ruined what the first one was building up. Also, stupid cobra outfits.

It's not about her bitchiness, the problem is that she is the most bland and generic part of the show. I wish they never introduced Max and dedicated that screen time to Dana's character development and moar Bruce-Terry shenanigans instead.

It felt like they were setting up for more interactions with Dana, especially since the last we saw her she was actually warming up to Terry a lot better. Alas the series got canned before it reached that point. It was also around this time that various characters would off-handedly reference Blight as if mentioning him multiple times would bring him back. Again, too bad the series got canned before anything actually materialized.

No, they wanted him to be Batman Jr, and have a mini-batcave in the McGinnis apartment. No, I'm not making that up.

>Everyone hates her and I swear I'll NEVER understand why. It's like nobody can stand the MC in comic show to have anything normal. She was a nice girlfriend and that's it. But everyone bitches she exists because she doesn't add anything or they rather Terry fuck Max or Ten.
It's because 90+% of super hero related ANYTHING has the hero hook up with a regular ass chick instead of the super hero/anti-hero chicks that often have better chemistry with the lead.

That and the whole "I gotta keep my identity secret so she doesn't get in danger" thing is so worn out and cliche that it makes shit like Mary Jane being She-Venom & helping Peter Parker seem like the heights of innovation.

It's not like he was executing them in the street. Half the time it was because of SCIENCE gone wrong.

What about the two mooks Terry crushes in the newspaper building with a giant roll of paper? Happened as soon as he got the suit, no less.

And for Dana Tan she really is a true bitch.