They should just make a Fantastic Four movie set in the 60s during the Space Race

They should just make a Fantastic Four movie set in the 60s during the Space Race

It's the easiest way to make it right and it's a rarely explored time period in capemovies. A unique setting for sci-fi and would also allow it to be more corny while paying tribute to the most relevant era for FF.

I'm surprised Fox didn't do that after First Class instead of Fant4stic. They wanted the FF property to fit into their X-Men universe, the best way to do that unobtrusively would've been in the retro-period of the timeline.

I think the last chance FF has on the big screen is an animated film. Go full animated Kirby with it and try to incorporate as many of the characters Fox got in the deal as possible

Why do people want a Fantastic Four movie to be set in the sixties, even though they and their villains, Doom, Galactus, the Skrulls, are some of the biggest players in the Marvel universe. Is it just non-comic readers who think that they look dorky and thus believe that something retro would fit them?

Well a FOX Fantastic Four movie wouldn't allow for any of their villains to be major players in the marvel universe.

Fantastic Four sucks.

Marvel kept it only for the nostalgia value and their villains.

The last relevant F4 run was the original Kirby one.

No wonder Marvel cancelled it.

>The only "Good" Fantastic Four movie is the Roger Corman one
>In the comics they have performed way better as supporting characters in other books than their own.
>Reed Richards himself is a fucking idiot
>Sue's 90s outfit will never come back.

>They should just make a Fantastic Four movie set in the 60s during the Space Race
I know you are joking, OP, but that would be pretty awesome and fun.

Fox doesn't do fun with their superhero movies.

Set it in the 60's, base it on the Kirby stuff and ignore everything else.

Make it sort of like the 1980 Flash Gordon movie. Kind of epic in it's camp and winks to the audience. It's really the only way I can see it working in modern day.

Play with alternate history a bit maybe. But basically, it has to be fun focused and not TOO serious at this point.

hmm, that sounds great actually.
10/10 would watch

I wasn't joking

Fantastic Four is in dire need of a true reboot or revitalization.

Spider-Man had Gerry Conway, Roger Stern, and some great artists that really helped grow the character beyond what Lee & Ditko had originally created.

X-Men had Chris Claremont and some fantastic storylines during his run that we still adapt in other mediums to this day.

Daredevil was revitalized by Frank Miller who essentially created the modern Daredevil, a hero who is going to have a third season Netflix series soon so he's just as relevant as ever.

Iron Man had Warren Ellis who basically laid the groundwork for the first and third Iron Man films to exist. Without Extremis, I don't know if Tony could have become the most popular Marvel hero other than Spider-Man today.

So who saved Fantastic Four? Has anyone had a really awesome FF run I don't know about?

>Has anyone had a really awesome FF run I don't know about?
John Byrne

Yep. There are two good runs on FF, Stan/Kirby and Byrne's. Any movie needs to look at those two runs... and only those two.

Oh, then, count me in.

If, against all odds, there was another FF movie made someday, I'd say they need to get them the fuck off Earth and into space.

At its core, the FF are about exploration and adventure more than traditional superheroics. They need to be out there, exploring.

So I'd say start off with the standard space voyage, they're testing a new spacecraft Reed invented and encounter unforeseen complications, the engine malfunctions and shoots them to the other side of the galaxy, exposing them to crazy space rads in the process.

They crash on the Skrull home world and get caught up in Skrull politics but have their new super powers to help them fight their way to freedom. However, the Skrull scientists analyzed their DNA and determined their abilities are pretty awesome and by the end of the film have completed creating the Super-Skrull for a big climactic battle.

There could be some drama with the Skrull Royal family and throw in Lyja as an elite warrior who falls for Johnny. Perhaps foreshadow the existence of Galactus, make him a legend on the Skrull home world and have some cultists believing his arrival is imminent, then have an after credits stinger of the Silver Surfer appearing above the Skrull world.

Just to add some more stuff, maybe toss in Fin Fang Foom as a monster they have to battle, or maybe that Torgo guy as a robot gladiator they have to battle in an arena.

But this is all on the far end of possibilities.

Millar and hickman

I'm sure making the main character a pedophile will go great for a movie adaptation.

I always wanted an Unstable Molecules adaptation.

Simonson was great. Waid did a fine job. Aguirre-Sacasa wasn't anything groundbreaking, but he did fine with adapting characters to modern world.
>Millar
God, no. One of the worst FF runs I have ever read.