Bravo Marlel

>We talked about Marvel’s new Secret Artist Variants the other day. Venom got a 1:1000 variant cover recycling Todd McFarlane art from the character’s first appearance. Then USAvengers #1 is getting one for retailers who order one of every 53 state variant covers. And Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #1 is getting a 1:1000 variant that uses John Romita Sr‘s cover art for the wedding of Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson, recoloured by Richard Isanove.

They're getting really lazy with variants, I see

When the fuck does this come out? Searching just gives me the miniseries from last year.

November

>1:1000

This seems like it would be a really, really, really bad idea.
Is there even a comic shop that can move that much product?

Well yes, 1:1000+ variants have been done before

DKIII had a 1:5000 one and there was some 1:4999 variant marvel did

Retailers sell the variant for much more and/or sell them on ebay

I don't even see the point in caring about it anyhow. It just feels like a facade. What does Marvel really expect to do with this title? Build a new universe from it?

Well shit.

Renew Your Vows sold really well, even for a Secret Wars book, so they were thinking with dollar signs for eyes

Though like the X Men '92 book it'll sell like half of what it did during Secret Wars, especially with the main Spidey book and the Clone book that's gong on

>one of every 53 state variant covers
Remember when everybody gave DC shit for doing the same with "Justice League of America"?

Probably bigger LCSes in big cities, like Midtown Comics.

Mmm, that's what I figured. They'd probably also have to have a fairly popular webservice I imagine.
Still, I bet they're incredibly rare.

With numbers like that, it's no surprise that they're rare.

The question is whether or not they're worth it. Would you pay a premium for a variant cover like , which is literally a recolor of John Romita's artwork?

people are burnt out on spidey and arent exceited for clone wars 2.0

Hopefully they pull a superman rebirth and reveal these are the originals and the ones in 616 are clones

Is there a variant cover that actually became collectible?

They don't actually plan to sell all those comics. They inflate the cost of that variant to cover the unsold issues.

Not really

For the 1:25+ ones it's more about making retailers get more copies, fans getting different covers by different artists, retailers being able to sell them for more than the cover price, and people selling them on ebay and shit

>1:1000 variant cover recycling Todd McFarlane art from the character’s first appearance.

>clone wars 2.0
>Clone book that's gong on

Okay, let's see.
- Electro - his powers are on the fritz, he killed his girlfriend.
- Kingpin is a street level small boss instead of a crime lord.
- Doc Ock is dead, with part of his consciousness in a robot, obsessing over a midget.
- Lizard... I don't remember what he is up to.
- Captain America - HYDRA agent.
- Wolverine - dead
- Daredevil... what is he up to?
- Torch - in limbo because Marvel is petty over not owning his movie rights.

So basically out of the characters on that cover, only Kingpin is still active.

wild a cover doesn't accurately reflect the interior!!! what a scandal

Torch... as in Johnny Storm? He's on the Uncanny Avenger's roster.
Now, he WAS in limbo (actually, the Negative Zone) but he got out quite a while ago.

I'm not bringing up the cover not reflecting the interior, but rather how all of those premiere characters have been sidelined worse than Z-listers.

oh! I remember. He made out with Medusa and Black Bolt caught them.

Lizard got his family cloned by Jackyl and is now working for him, since Jackyl has all of his clones rigged to die if they don't get medication, which he uses to make his pawns do his bidding by cloning their dead loved ones and then threatening to let them die if his pawns don't do his bidding (as happened with Kingpin, who was given a clone of his wife Vanessa only to have her die on him when he refused to serve Jackyl as a flunky).

Daredevil is now in San Fran IIRC, and like Cap-Falcon, has an illegal immigrant (Chinese guy) as his sidekick

Torch is shacking up with Medusa as her token boytoy

the only actually premiere characters on that cover are Spidey and Wolverine.

and most of them have books, some multiple! (Spidey, Cap, DD, Torch co-starring in a book so level he's always at)

Isn't this some alternate universe/future with spider family kicking ass and taking names in between learning to live with autism and blogging about fashion ?

Also what's up with murkans and mini issues with shitload of covers ?

>the only actually premiere characters on that cover are Spidey and Wolverine.

And Captain America.
And Torch, with the F4 being one of the biggest Marvel books.
And Kingpin, who was THE crime lord of the entire city, at odds with Spidey, Daredevil, and Punisher just from the top of my head.

Lizard, Ock, and Electro are only Spidey villains but come on, are you saying that Captain America is a nobody?

One of the variant covers for the current Black Panther series came from a card drawn by Joverine. He's not getting compensated for the cover.

I'm saying that before 2008 Spidey and Wolverine were a whole level above him and the rest.

in universe he's still super respected which makes the HYDRA plot so great.

Kingpin has a miniseries RIGHT NOW (or recently concluded)

>Daredevil is now in San Fran IIRC
Currently he's back in New York as a prosecutor, training a new vigilante named Blindspot, wearing a black costume and some how one more day'd the universe into forgetting he was daredevil .

>Why pay artists to make a variant when we can get an intern to photoshop one out of old art?

I thought he used amoral lawyer tactics and superhero bodydoubles to sue his way away from the truth being known.
I mean, the Daredevil in the first Civil War was Iron Fist in disguise because Murdock wanted to establish alibis.

>Remember when everybody gave DC shit for doing the same with "Justice League of America"?

Those weren't incentivized and could be purchased at the same cost as the regular cover.

DC did that with all their themed variant month covers as well. And they were great, offered variety to the consumer at no inflationary bullshit cost.

That's my point. Everybody gave shit to DC for releasing 50 variant covers, regardless of the terms.

Then again, maybe it's because nobody actually knew that Marvel was releasing state variants for USAvengers.

Well, there are some.
Places like Mile High Comics have multiple retail locations and extensive mail order systems.

But yeah, probably 95%+ of stores have no way of selling a thousand of anything, especially not C-tier titles like Venom or "Married Spider-Man Spin-off"

>all those white people

I'm literally shaking. Someone wake me up from this nightmare.

Very few. Most shops just do it so they can sell the variant on ebay for a quick buck. Then they're stuck with a heaping pile of shitty comics.

What fucking idiot pays for variant covers?
Do they frame them?
Do they leave them sitting around because they think their copy of the third number 1 of Deadpool in that many years will go up in value?

>Do they leave them sitting around because they think their copy of the third number 1 of Deadpool in that many years will go up in value?
Yes.

These idiots even go so far as to get them graded. They're fucking worthless.

They do realize the reason that good condition copies of classic comics are worth something because no one treated them like collectibles, right?
If an eighth of the copies of Action Comics 1 were in great condition, it would be worth an infinitesimal fraction of what it is actually worth.

Alot of stores will try and pre-sell the variant on ebay before the close of order date. So if someone actually pays whatever price they put it up for then they'll order it, if no one buys then they just won't order it.

They can make enough off that 1 variant if it sells to more than cover the loss they'll make ordering 1000 copies.

They really haven't had a good year, have they?

No one ever said they were smart. These are the same people that helped crash the market in the 90s because of foil covers.

yet I loved this, And bought one with my home state.

but, perfection...

Have DC or Marvel ever done a world wide country variant thing?
>tfw no Aus hero cover
I'd settle for Boomer though

This is a really shitty variant, too.
What the fuck does Cap have to do with Delaware?

First state

And Black Widow and Connecticut?

>USAvengers #1 is getting one for retailers who order one of every 53 state variant covers
Wait so can they order as many as they want or is it one for every 53.

And im guessing the states are themselves incentive varients

Im conflicted im auctualy really excited for u.s.avengers but then they pull this shit and im not sure i want to support that.

They just sell then at a redicilus price.

But heres the thing even if they did not marvel would not care they did not learn from the last time they killed the industry. They dont realise that every time a lcs goes under they lose sales.

>Would you pay a premium for a variant cover which is literally a recolor.
Nope

But yeah marvel does this to inflate sales numbers so it looks like people are buying more comics then they are.

Or Captain Falcon and whatever state they put him in.
Is Tony from California, btw?

So? He isn't the first American. And why isn't Spider-Man New York? Fuck Marvel, this shit is stupid as fuck.

I don't know. He had a house in Malibu in the movies though.

He's actually from Long Island.

When almost all your heros are in new york this is not an easy task.

Thanks.
Yeah. It's just that some people really think that covers will show characters born in that state and get triggered as fuck.

Sam got Maryland. I assume, much like Tony, the state was chosen due to movie influence since in the MCU Sam lives in or near Washington, DC and Tony lives in LA.

Loving the big fat #1.

>Im conflicted im auctualy really excited for u.s.avengers but then they pull this shit and im not sure i want to support that.
Then just don't buy one of the incentive covers? This ain't hard. The regular cover looks better than any of the state covers anyways.

What's spiderman?

Tony has at least lived in California a lot. He was a West Coast Avenger for a lot of that run, and the Malibu house from the movies is practically right out of the Force Works era.

Got nothing

Tony has been associated with California before the movies

The guy who killed Gwen Stacy. That's. About. It.

What kind of massive faggot do you have to be to shell out that much money for a different cover? Out of every aspect of comics I find the incentive variant and those who pay such prices to be the most retarded

I dont know but they are the cancer killing sales charts.

I doubt many will buy these though thwy are literally fucking recolors

Offhand I can think that Mile High could afford it, Lone Star Comics could afford it, maybe Midtown Comics, maybe Graham Cracker Comics?

>- Electro - his powers are on the fritz, he killed his girlfriend.
And then his girlfriend got cloned and Electro got killed and now his girlfriend is the new Electro.

Tony used to be in New York but moved out to California at least by the 1980's and has been there since.

if they cost cover price I get them if I think they look better than the regular cover. I only get the Variants for New Super-Man and only the regular covers for Superman.

Pic related is the art in question. Though I am unable to track down the name of the card game involved.

Joe "Joverine" Vriens is an artist on Street Fighter Unlimited.

how the fuck is Marvel getting away with that?

Possibly some sort of technicality in the contract. Usually you do a piece for them or something and they say they reserve the right to use it for something else.

It's credited as the UDON variant for Black Panther #6 and nothing else.

Marlel published that because muh IP.

Must be War of Heroes, it was the first mobile game casuality and its existence has been wiped out.

a lot of people who don't like the current run will buy this so it's a sound business plan

It's for those who grew up with MJ and still can't stop their butts from hurting 8 years after OMD happened.

Even 8 years later even if you no longer care gwen is gone (and for a lot of people that will happen even many of those who hate harleys comics have accepted shes no longer with joker) it was still a fucking terrible story

Card is pic related, perhaps?

What?

Im saying one more day sucked

It did, but it's time to move on.

ugh, more support to the patriarchy by marvel, reinforcing the stereotypical gender roles ew

You forgot
>*glares*

Right at you, dubs.